Rate this topic

Guest guest

Note: forwarded message attached.

Spiritual freedom is my birthright.

I am a free thinker. I am able to rise above mental

prejudices and stereotypes of others.

I am a free thinker. Nobody and nothing can manipulate

me or deceive me.

I am a free thinker. I freely choose truth and love.

Today, I embrace a greater degree of spiritual

freedom.

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

Never miss a thing. Make your home page.

http://www./r/hs

Today's DailyOM brought to you by:

February 18, 2008

Mysterious Beginnings

The Necessity Of Winter

As any gardener knows, the bulbs that contain the beautiful flowers of spring and summer—daffodils, irises, tulips, gladiolas—cannot bloom until they have endured a period of cold. Held in the dark earth during the frigid winter months, they undergo internal adjustments and changes invisible to our eyes. Like babies gestating in the lightless, watery wombs of their mothers, they are fully engaged in the process of preparing to be born. So many of the greatest mysteries of life begin this way, with a powerful urge for growth enclosed in a small, dark space.

We humans have a tendency to yearn for the light, for the coming of spring, and for the more visible phase of growth that all things express in coming to be. In our love for what we can see with our eyes we sometimes lose patience for, and interest in, the world of darkness that nurtures and protects the seeds, bulbs, and babies of the world for such an important part of their life cycles. It is a perilous and mysterious phase of growth, and one that we have little control over, and perhaps that is why we don’t celebrate it with quite the same passion as we do the lighter and brighter phases of life. Nevertheless, we ourselves endure similar periods of developing in the darkness throughout our lives.

Meditating on the image of a bulb, a seed, or an embryo, can bring us into alignment with the side of our own natures that is like the earth in winter—seemingly asleep but busily attending to details of growth that create the pattern for the children, flowers, and creative expressions to come. Touching down on this place in ourselves, we may feel at once peaceful and activated, utterly still and yet fully creative, quietly in tune with the dark and mysterious beginnings of life.

What do you think?

Discuss this article and share your opinion

Want more DailyOM?

Register for your free email,

or browse all articles

Share the OM:

Email this to a friend

Printable version

Save in My DailyOM

Discuss this article

Today's friend of OM:

Past Life Readings are an inciteful way to discover the sources of your current energy patterns. This unique reading is presented by DailyOM where you can ask up to three questions related to your concerns and reader Covington will respond within 24 hours with a channeled reply that reveals any experiences from your past that may prevent your growth in the here and now.

For more information visit DailyOM.com/Readings

From the Library:

The Ancient Wisdom of the Chinese Tonic Herbs

by Ron Teeguarden

More DailyOM:

Browse the Library

Today's Horoscopes

Shop the Marketplace

Join the Community

Home | Gift Shop | My DailyOM | Marketplace | Community | Archives | Share The OM |

Contact Us

Subscribe | Change Email | User Settings | Unsubscribe |

Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Gift Shop FAQ | Advertising Info

Make DailyOM Your Homepage | Link To Us |

Publish DailyOM On Your Website

© 2004-08 DailyOM - No portion of this site can be reprinted without express permission

Artwork by Wang Chang-Ming