RemedySpot.com

Scientists are finding that spices can ease inflammation, kill bacteria and viruses, and even cause cancer cells to self-destruct.

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

www.AlterNet.org

The Best Home Remedies May Be Sitting in Your Spice Cabinet

By Kim Ridley, Ode. Posted March 14, 2008.

Scientists are finding that spices can ease inflammation, kill bacteria and viruses, and even cause cancer cells to self-destruct.

By the middle of the afternoon, Ellen was out of steam. A community organizer in central Maine, says her energy crashed every afternoon. To get through the rest of the day, she'd grab a chocolate bar or a handful of candy kisses. "But I'm 52," says, "and those explosions of calories are becoming harder to work off."

When a friend said cinnamon helped alleviate another health problem, decided to give it a try by taking two 500-milligram capsules in the morning. "I immediately noticed a difference," says. "My chocolate cravings went away and I no longer have that crashing feeling in the afternoon. I haven't talked to a doctor; all I know is that cinnamon is inexpensive, easy to take and it stops the crash."

Clinical studies support 's experience. Just half a teaspoon of cinnamon a day lowered blood sugar levels in adults with type 2 diabetes, according to a study of 60 subjects carried out at NWFP Agricultural University in Peshawar, Pakistan, and published in Diabetes Care in 2003. The same study found that cinnamon also lowered cholesterol.

People around the world have been using spice cures for centuries, but now scientists are finding that spices can ease inflammation, activate the immune system, kill bacteria and viruses and even cause cancer cells to self-destruct. Although most studies are preliminary, some research suggests that compounds in spices might help fight everything from Alzheimer's disease and cancer to depression and diabetes. Here's an overview of the potential medicines lurking in your spice rack.

Turmeric: Asia's aspirin

This bright yellow-orange powder, common in Indian curries, may pack more healing power than any other spice. Turmeric is the aspirin of Asia, where it has been used for centuries in Ayurvedic medicine to heal wounds and treat inflammatory illnesses like arthritis as well as at least a dozen other health problems. Made from the powdered root of a tropical plant closely related to ginger, turmeric contains curcumin, a compound that is both a powerful anti-inflammatory and an antioxidant. It's also non-toxic