RemedySpot.com

Re: Virginia AVS results

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

When you get your numbers, put them in a form like this worksheetAVS worksheet blank.xls hyperaldosteronism/files/AVS%20Experiences/ Val From: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of Virginia WallI just got a call from my endocrinologist. I was told only my right side adrenal gland (the one with the 3 cm adenoma) appears diseased. I asked how to request the AVS report and I had to mail in a form so hopefully I will get results to the group soon (and of course I want Dr Grim to look it over before surgery!). .

Guest guest

For sure! Thanks Val. Virginia Wall31 year old femaleCurrent K 3.4DASHingAVS completed June 27, 2012 at BJC Hospital St. Louis, MORight adrenalectomy pending3 cm adenoma in right adrenalDiagnosed February 2012Low K & High BP since appx. 2007Possible family history of hyperaldosteronismMeds: K Cl 20 meq 2 tabs tidPrenatal vitaminBreastfeeding; 6 month old with G6PDDOn Jul 5, 2012, at 7:10 PM, "Valarie " <val@...> wrote:

When you get your numbers, put them in a form like this worksheetAVS worksheet blank.xls hyperaldosteronism/files/AVS%20Experiences/ Val From: hyperaldosteronism [mailto:hyperaldosteronism ] On Behalf Of Virginia WallI just got a call from my endocrinologist. I was told only my right side adrenal gland (the one with the 3 cm adenoma) appears diseased. I asked how to request the AVS report and I had to mail in a form so hopefully I will get results to the group soon (and of course I want Dr Grim to look it over before surgery!). .

Guest guest

Virginia,

Who did your AVS at in St. Louis? My doc told me that Dr. Picus is one

of the best in the country but also told me that the team at Mayo clinic is top

notch as well. In his opinion, he would trust Dr. Picus with his own AVS if he

had to get one done.

I am also wondering about the Wash U/ experience after the AVS. Did they

check your potassium? Did you have to stay in the hospital? Did you have to

miss work?

Just curious. If you feel more comfortable reaching me offline my e-mail

address is smort@....

Thanks,

>

> Hello group,

>

> I just got a call from my endocrinologist. I was told only my right side

adrenal gland (the one with the 3 cm adenoma) appears diseased. I asked how to

request the AVS report and I had to mail in a form so hopefully I will get

results to the group soon (and of course I want Dr Grim to look it over before

surgery!). I have learned from this group that if I have true unilateral disease

my left side should be pretty much non-functioning and so I made a point to ask

about this and was told this appears to be the case. So I am pretty hopeful I am

a clear candidate for surgery! I will start the process of scheduling my surgery

but fully intend on having our group " experts " (and in Dr Grims case no

quotations necessary!) review everything before going through with it.

>

> Thanks for all your support so far. I just wanted to give you an update. If

there is anything else I should do before surgery please speak up I will listen!

>

>

> Virginia Wall

> 31 year old female

> Current K 3.4

> DASHing

> AVS completed June 27, 2012 at BJC Hospital St. Louis, MO

> Surgery of right adrenal gland pending

> 3 cm adenoma in right adrenal

> Diagnosed February 2012

> Low K & High BP since appx. 2007

> Possible family history of hyperaldosteronism

> Meds: K Cl 20 meq 2 tabs tid

> Prenatal vitamin

> Breastfeeding; 6 month old with G6PDD

>

Guest guest

Hi ! No, I don't mind addressing the group at all, I'm an open book and it might help someone else :-). Just out of curiosity, where are you located?Ironically enough, I did have Dr Picus. He was extremely professional and competent. I have shared my experience that he was somewhat "appalled" that my endocrinologist offered me surgery without AVS. He seemed pretty knowledgeable re: hyperaldo. The actual procedure took about a half hour. He does not put patients to sleep, which it is my personal opinion that this shows confidence in his technique, because he is not worried about making the patient nervous. He does use IV sedation. He asked me a couple questions about what I was experiencing during the procedure and he was right on (such as, when he was accessing the right adrenal, he let me know I might be feeling sensation in my back). He also uses ACTH. BJC kept me for appx. 2 hours following my procedure for observation. Dr Picus accessed my right vein in my groin (where your leg and groin meet) and I was given explicit instructions to keep my right leg straight during this period of time. The discharge nurse gave my instructions that were extremely cautionary, like not to drive for 3 days, but Dr Picus told me I could do whatever I wanted other than drive that day because of the sedation (I have a feeling BJC has to be extreme to protect from a lawsuit lol). I was very tired and a little sore in that area that day, but felt completely myself the next day. I am a stay at home mom, and I took care of my 3 children myself the next day (which my job I retired from in Jan would have been easier trust me). had nothing to do with my after care other than recovery. I have a standing order with my PCP to have my potassium checked so I went tues of this week and it was 3.4. Just to give you a timeline in case you're interested. My AVS was scheduled at 8 am because Dr Picus likes to do them first thing. I was instructed to go to hospital admitting at 6:30 am to prepare my recovery room. I was back up waiting for AVS at 7:30. I did not wait long and the nurses took me back and put in my IV and the ACTH. They took me in the procedure room to prep me at about 8:00. Procedure was started at 8:15, I was done before 9:00. They took me to recovery about 9:30, and I stated there and was released at 12. Everything went extremely smoothly and it was a good experience. Let me know of you have any other questions. Virginia Wall31 year old femaleCurrent K 3.4DASHingAVS completed June 27, 2012 at BJC Hospital St. Louis, MORight adrenalectomy scheduled Aug 6, 2012. 3 cm adenoma in right adrenalDiagnosed February 2012Low K & High BP since appx. 2007Possible family history of hyperaldosteronismMeds: K Cl 20 meq 2 tabs tidPrenatal vitaminBreastfeeding; 6 month old with G6PDDOn Jul 6, 2012, at 11:27 AM, "crzylnebkr" <smort@...> wrote:

Virginia,

Who did your AVS at in St. Louis? My doc told me that Dr. Picus is one of the best in the country but also told me that the team at Mayo clinic is top notch as well. In his opinion, he would trust Dr. Picus with his own AVS if he had to get one done.

I am also wondering about the Wash U/ experience after the AVS. Did they check your potassium? Did you have to stay in the hospital? Did you have to miss work?

Just curious. If you feel more comfortable reaching me offline my e-mail address is smort@....

Thanks,

>

> Hello group,

>

> I just got a call from my endocrinologist. I was told only my right side adrenal gland (the one with the 3 cm adenoma) appears diseased. I asked how to request the AVS report and I had to mail in a form so hopefully I will get results to the group soon (and of course I want Dr Grim to look it over before surgery!). I have learned from this group that if I have true unilateral disease my left side should be pretty much non-functioning and so I made a point to ask about this and was told this appears to be the case. So I am pretty hopeful I am a clear candidate for surgery! I will start the process of scheduling my surgery but fully intend on having our group "experts" (and in Dr Grims case no quotations necessary!) review everything before going through with it.

>

> Thanks for all your support so far. I just wanted to give you an update. If there is anything else I should do before surgery please speak up I will listen!

>

>

> Virginia Wall

> 31 year old female

> Current K 3.4

> DASHing

> Prenatal vitamin

>

Guest guest

Thank you Virginia!

I am located in O' Fallon, MO and work in Clayton, MO both suburbs of St. Louis.

I now get all my treatment from Wash U. I was told that Dr. Picus does all of

the AVS procedures. I was kind of hoping they would put me out completely.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

Did you end up having surgery? My endocrinologist is trying to time the AVS so

that I could have surgery soon after if I am a candidate. Guess I will find out

this fall.

> > >

> > > Hello group,

> > >

> > > I just got a call from my endocrinologist. I was told only my right side

surgery!). I have learned from this group that if I have true unilateral disease

about this and was told this appears to be the case. So I am pretty hopeful I am

a clear candidate for surgery! I will start the process of scheduling my surgery

> > >

> > > Thanks for all your support so far. I just wanted to give you an update.

If there is anything else I should do before surgery please speak up I will

listen!

> > >

> > >

> > > Virginia Wall

> > > 31 year old female

> > > Current K 3.4

> > > DASHing

> > > AVS completed June 27, 2012 at BJC Hospital St. Louis, MO

> > > Surgery of right adrenal gland pending

> > > 3 cm adenoma in right adrenal

> > > Diagnosed February 2012

> > > Low K & High BP since appx. 2007

> > > Possible family history of hyperaldosteronism

> > > Meds: K Cl 20 meq 2 tabs tid

> > > Prenatal vitamin

> > > Breastfeeding; 6 month old with G6PDD

> > >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

I bet he will put you out completely if you request it but heads up; you should probably ask when the nurse calls to schedule. I'm on the other side of the river, edwardsville il. How lucky are we to have WASHU??My surgery is scheduled aug 6. I had to send in a form to request AVS results, waiting on that to have the group look it over. VirginiaSent from my iPhone On Jul 6, 2012, at 7:11 PM, "crzylnebkr" <smort@...> wrote:

Thank you Virginia!

I am located in O' Fallon, MO and work in Clayton, MO both suburbs of St. Louis. I now get all my treatment from Wash U. I was told that Dr. Picus does all of the AVS procedures. I was kind of hoping they would put me out completely. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Did you end up having surgery? My endocrinologist is trying to time the AVS so that I could have surgery soon after if I am a candidate. Guess I will find out this fall.

> > >

> > > Hello group,

> > >

> > > I just got a call from my endocrinologist. I was told only my right side adrenal gland (the one with the 3 cm adenoma) appears diseased. I asked how to request the AVS report and I had to mail in a form so hopefully I will get results to the group soon (and of course I want Dr Grim to look it over before surgery!). I have learned from this group that if I have true unilateral disease my left side should be pretty much non-functioning and so I made a point to ask about this and was told this appears to be the case. So I am pretty hopeful I am a clear candidate for surgery! I will start the process of scheduling my surgery but fully intend on having our group "experts" (and in Dr Grims case no quotations necessary!) review everything before going through with it.

> > >

> > > Thanks for all your support so far. I just wanted to give you an update. If there is anything else I should do before surgery please speak up I will listen!

> > >

> > >

> > > Virginia Wall

> > > 31 year old female

> > > Current K 3.4

> > > DASHing

> > > Prenatal vitamin

> > >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

, there really is no reason to be put out completely, don't stress over it.

At NIH I had a nurse standing at my head and explaining everything. There was a

couple points when the doctor needed me to hold my breath, I was so relaxed he

had to ask me 3 times when he first asked me - the nurse actually pointed out

that he was talking to me! (The doctor talked constantly announcing what he was

doing and what he expected the rest of the team to be doing, in hindsight I

wonder if they were recording to make sure protocal was being followed exactly.

There were atleast 5 people actively involved in the proceedure.

> > > >

> > > > Hello group,

> > > >

> > > > I just got a call from my endocrinologist. I was told only my right side

> > > >

> > > > Thanks for all your support so far. I just wanted to give you an update.

If there is anything else I should do before surgery please speak up I will

listen!

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Virginia Wall

> > > > 31 year old female

> > > > Current K 3.4

> > > > DASHing

> > > > AVS completed June 27, 2012 at BJC Hospital St. Louis, MO

> > > > Surgery of right adrenal gland pending

> > > > 3 cm adenoma in right adrenal

> > > > Diagnosed February 2012

> > > > Low K & High BP since appx. 2007

> > > > Possible family history of hyperaldosteronism

> > > > Meds: K Cl 20 meq 2 tabs tid

> > > > Prenatal vitamin

> > > > Breastfeeding; 6 month old with G6PDD

> > > >

> > >

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

Enter your AVS. Numbers in our form and send to us to look at when you get them. BJC is one of the best hospitals systems in the world. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Jul 6, 2012, at 15:18, Virginia Wall <virgwall@...> wrote:

Hi ! No, I don't mind addressing the group at all, I'm an open book and it might help someone else :-). Just out of curiosity, where are you located?Ironically enough, I did have Dr Picus. He was extremely professional and competent. I have shared my experience that he was somewhat "appalled" that my endocrinologist offered me surgery without AVS. He seemed pretty knowledgeable re: hyperaldo. The actual procedure took about a half hour. He does not put patients to sleep, which it is my personal opinion that this shows confidence in his technique, because he is not worried about making the patient nervous. He does use IV sedation. He asked me a couple questions about what I was experiencing during the procedure and he was right on (such as, when he was accessing the right adrenal, he let me know I might be feeling sensation in my back). He also uses ACTH. BJC kept me for appx. 2

hours following my procedure for observation. Dr Picus accessed my right vein in my groin (where your leg and groin meet) and I was given explicit instructions to keep my right leg straight during this period of time. The discharge nurse gave my instructions that were extremely cautionary, like not to drive for 3 days, but Dr Picus told me I could do whatever I wanted other than drive that day because of the sedation (I have a feeling BJC has to be extreme to protect from a lawsuit lol). I was very tired and a little sore in that area that day, but felt completely myself the next day. I am a stay at home mom, and I took care of my 3 children myself the next day (which my job I retired from in Jan would have been easier trust me). had nothing to do with my after care other than recovery. I have a standing order with my PCP to have my potassium checked so I went tues of this week and it was 3.4. Just to give you a

timeline in case you're interested. My AVS was scheduled at 8 am because Dr Picus likes to do them first thing. I was instructed to go to hospital admitting at 6:30 am to prepare my recovery room. I was back up waiting for AVS at 7:30. I did not wait long and the nurses took me back and put in my IV and the ACTH. They took me in the procedure room to prep me at about 8:00. Procedure was started at 8:15, I was done before 9:00. They took me to recovery about 9:30, and I stated there and was released at 12. Everything went extremely smoothly and it was a good experience. Let me know of you have any other questions. Virginia Wall31 year old femaleCurrent K 3.4DASHingAVS completed June 27, 2012 at BJC Hospital St. Louis, MORight adrenalectomy scheduled Aug 6,

2012. 3 cm adenoma in right adrenalDiagnosed February 2012Low K & High BP since appx. 2007Possible family history of hyperaldosteronismMeds: K Cl 20 meq 2 tabs tidPrenatal vitaminBreastfeeding; 6 month old with G6PDDOn Jul 6, 2012, at 11:27 AM, "crzylnebkr" <smort@...> wrote:

Virginia,

Who did your AVS at in St. Louis? My doc told me that Dr. Picus is one of the best in the country but also told me that the team at Mayo clinic is top notch as well. In his opinion, he would trust Dr. Picus with his own AVS if he had to get one done.

I am also wondering about the Wash U/ experience after the AVS. Did they check your potassium? Did you have to stay in the hospital? Did you have to miss work?

Just curious. If you feel more comfortable reaching me offline my e-mail address is smort@....

Thanks,

>

> Hello group,

>

> I just got a call from my endocrinologist. I was told only my right side adrenal gland (the one with the 3 cm adenoma) appears diseased. I asked how to request the AVS report and I had to mail in a form so hopefully I will get results to the group soon (and of course I want Dr Grim to look it over before surgery!). I have learned from this group that if I have true unilateral disease my left side should be pretty much non-functioning and so I made a point to ask about this and was told this appears to be the case. So I am pretty hopeful I am a clear candidate for surgery! I will start the process of scheduling my surgery but fully intend on having our group "experts" (and in Dr Grims case no quotations necessary!) review everything before going through with it.

>

> Thanks for all your support so far. I just wanted to give you an update. If there is anything else I should do before surgery please speak up I will listen!

>

>

> Virginia Wall

> 31 year old female

> Current K 3.4

> DASHing

> Prenatal vitamin

>

Guest guest

If surgery already scheduled why did they need AVS? But can always cancel if AVS not diagnostic. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Jul 6, 2012, at 17:43, Virginia Wall <virgwall@...> wrote:

I bet he will put you out completely if you request it but heads up; you should probably ask when the nurse calls to schedule. I'm on the other side of the river, edwardsville il. How lucky are we to have WASHU??My surgery is scheduled aug 6. I had to send in a form to request AVS results, waiting on that to have the group look it over. VirginiaSent from my iPhone On Jul 6, 2012, at 7:11 PM, "crzylnebkr" <smort@...> wrote:

Thank you Virginia!

I am located in O' Fallon, MO and work in Clayton, MO both suburbs of St. Louis. I now get all my treatment from Wash U. I was told that Dr. Picus does all of the AVS procedures. I was kind of hoping they would put me out completely. Thank you for sharing your experience.

Did you end up having surgery? My endocrinologist is trying to time the AVS so that I could have surgery soon after if I am a candidate. Guess I will find out this fall.

> > >

> > > Hello group,

> > >

> > > I just got a call from my endocrinologist. I was told only my right side adrenal gland (the one with the 3 cm adenoma) appears diseased. I asked how to request the AVS report and I had to mail in a form so hopefully I will get results to the group soon (and of course I want Dr Grim to look it over before surgery!). I have learned from this group that if I have true unilateral disease my left side should be pretty much non-functioning and so I made a point to ask about this and was told this appears to be the case. So I am pretty hopeful I am a clear candidate for surgery! I will start the process of scheduling my surgery but fully intend on having our group "experts" (and in Dr Grims case no quotations necessary!) review everything before going through with it.

> > >

> > > Thanks for all your support so far. I just wanted to give you an update. If there is anything else I should do before surgery please speak up I will listen!

> > >

> > >

> > > Virginia Wall

> > > 31 year old female

> > > Current K 3.4

> > > DASHing

> > > Prenatal vitamin

> > >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Dr Grim, we scheduled surgery the next day after my AVS results. I'm taking a gamble that I will receive my records for you to review before surgery! In the mean time I'm going back on spiro.Virginia Wall31 year old femaleCurrent K 3.4DASHingAVS completed June 27, 2012 at BJC Hospital St. Louis, MORight adrenalectomy pending3 cm adenoma in right adrenalDiagnosed February 2012Low K & High BP since appx. 2007Possible family history of hyperaldosteronismMeds: K Cl 20 meq 2 tabs tidSpiro 100 mg 1x dayPrenatal vitaminBreastfeeding; 6 month old with G6PDDOn Jul 7, 2012, at 1:11 PM, Clarence Grim <lowerbp2@...> wrote:

If surgery already scheduled why did they need AVS? But can always cancel if AVS not diagnostic. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Jul 6, 2012, at 17:43, Virginia Wall <virgwall@...> wrote:

Thank you Virginia!

> > >

> > > Hello group,

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Virginia Wall

> > > 31 year old female

> > > Current K 3.4

> > > DASHing

> > > Prenatal vitamin

> > >

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

The std. procedure calls for removal and most doctors would not hesitate to

proceed w/o an AVS. It looks like a good option to me, especially considering

the size! Give the little one a hug, he is about to get a healthy Momma to keep

up with him!

> >>> > > >

> >>> > > > Hello group,

> >>> > > >

> >>> > > > I just got a call from my endocrinologist. I was told only my right

side adrenal gland (the one with the 3 cm adenoma) appears diseased. I asked how

to request the AVS report and I had to mail in a form so hopefully I will get

> >>> > > >

> >>> > > > Thanks for all your support so far. I just wanted to give you an

update. If there is anything else I should do before surgery please speak up I

will listen!

> >>> > > >

> >>> > > >

> >>> > > > Virginia Wall

> >>> > > > 31 year old female

> >>> > > > Current K 3.4

> >>> > > > DASHing

> >>> > > > AVS completed June 27, 2012 at BJC Hospital St. Louis, MO

> >>> > > > Surgery of right adrenal gland pending

> >>> > > > 3 cm adenoma in right adrenal

> >>> > > > Diagnosed February 2012

> >>> > > > Low K & High BP since appx. 2007

> >>> > > > Possible family history of hyperaldosteronism

> >>> > > > Meds: K Cl 20 meq 2 tabs tid

> >>> > > > Prenatal vitamin

> >>> > > > Breastfeeding; 6 month old with G6PDD

> >>> > > >

> >>> > >

> >>> > >

> >>> >

> >>>

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

Thanks . I mean, 3cm is pretty big, right? Especially for a 31 year old. Even if I had bilateral disease a big part of me would still want that thing out of there...!VirginiaSent from my iPhone On Jul 7, 2012, at 6:09 PM, " " <jclark24p@...> wrote:

The std. procedure calls for removal and most doctors would not hesitate to proceed w/o an AVS. It looks like a good option to me, especially considering the size! Give the little one a hug, he is about to get a healthy Momma to keep up with him!

> >>> > > >

> >>> > > > Hello group,

> >>> > > >

> >>> > > > I just got a call from my endocrinologist. I was told only my right side adrenal gland (the one with the 3 cm adenoma) appears diseased. I asked how to request the AVS report and I had to mail in a form so hopefully I will get results to the group soon (and of course I want Dr Grim to look it over before surgery!). I have learned from this group that if I have true unilateral disease my left side should be pretty much non-functioning and so I made a point to ask about this and was told this appears to be the case. So I am pretty hopeful I am a clear candidate for surgery! I will start the process of scheduling my surgery but fully intend on having our group "experts" (and in Dr Grims case no quotations necessary!) review everything before going through with it.

> >>> > > >

> >>> > > > Thanks for all your support so far. I just wanted to give you an update. If there is anything else I should do before surgery please speak up I will listen!

> >>> > > >

> >>> > > >

> >>> > > > Virginia Wall

> >>> > > > 31 year old female

> >>> > > > Current K 3.4

> >>> > > > DASHing

> >>> > > > AVS completed June 27, 2012 at BJC Hospital St. Louis, MO

> >>> > > > Surgery of right adrenal gland pending

> >>> > > > 3 cm adenoma in right adrenal

> >>> > > > Diagnosed February 2012

> >>> > > > Low K & High BP since appx. 2007

> >>> > > > Possible family history of hyperaldosteronism