Guest guest

Guest guest

Note: forwarded message attached.

Spiritual freedom is my birthright.

I am a free thinker. I am able to rise above mental

prejudices and stereotypes of others.

I am a free thinker. Nobody and nothing can manipulate

me or deceive me.

I am a free thinker. I freely choose truth and love.

Today, I embrace a greater degree of spiritual

freedom.

Today's DailyOM brought to you by:

May 20, 2008

Temporarily Out Of Balance

Going Through A Phase

We are all almost always in the process of learning something new, developing an underused ability or talent, or toning down an overused one. Some of us are involved in learning how to speak up for ourselves, while others are learning how to be more considerate. In the process of becoming, we are always developing and fine tuning one or the other of our many qualities, and it is a natural part of this process that things tend to get out of balance. This may be upsetting to us, or the people around us, but we can trust that it’s a normal part of the work of self-development.

For example, we may go through a phase of needing to learn how to say no, as part of learning to set boundaries and take care of ourselves. During this time, we might say no to just about everything, as a way of practicing and exploring this ability. Like a child who learns a new word, we want to try out this new avenue of expression and empowerment as much as we can because it is new and exciting for us and we want to explore it fully. In this way, we are mastering a new skill, and eventually, as we integrate it into our overall identity, it will resume its position as one part of our balanced life.

In this process, we are overcompensating for a quality that was suppressed in our life, and the swinging of the pendulum from under-use to overuse serves to bring that quality into balance. Understanding what’s happening is a useful tool that helps us to be patient with the process. In the end, the pendulum settles comfortably in the center, restoring balance inside and out.

The first DailyOM Book is here!

Click here to receive over 70 free gifts when you buy the book

What do you think?

Discuss this article and share your opinion

Want more DailyOM?

Register for your free email,

or browse all articles

Share the OM:

Email this to a friend

Printable version

Save in My DailyOM

Discuss this article

Today's friend of OM:

Do you have a copy of the DailyOM Book yet? If you're looking to buy one, support your local independent bookstore and pick up a copy today. Independent bookstores are the heart and soul of the book world, and a great place to discover books that will change your life. Click below for a list of independent bookstores that carry the DailyOM Book.

For more information visit Dailyom.com

From the Library:

The Sacred Art of Chant

by Ana Hernández

More DailyOM:

Browse the Library

Today's Horoscopes

Shop the Marketplace

Join the Community

Home | Gift Shop | My DailyOM | Marketplace | Community | Archives | Share The OM |

Contact Us

Subscribe | Change Email | User Settings | Unsubscribe |

Privacy Policy | Disclaimer | Gift Shop FAQ | Advertising Info

Make DailyOM Your Homepage | Link To Us |

Publish DailyOM On Your Website

© 2004-08 DailyOM - No portion of this site can be reprinted without express permission

Artwork by Wang Chang-Ming