RemedySpot.com

ArcaMax Gardening Daily Tips for Monday April 7, 2008

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

For those of you who would like to grow echinacea (coneflower), this article will assist you. I have both pink and white. They replant themselves every year and are very hardy, requiring very little water.

Blessings, Joy

www.ArcaMax.com | ArcaMundo.com | News | Books | Comics | Games | Subscribe | My Account

Gardening Daily Tips

For JoyceMonday April 7, 2008 • Coneflower, Purple (Echinacea purpurea) • Q & A: Soil for Raised Beds • Q & A: Rose Bush Dying From Black Spot • Tip: Mulch Roses • What's Your Sign? • Reader Photos

Content provided byThe National Gardening Association.

Coneflower, Purple (Echinacea purpurea)Today's Featured Plant

Coneflower, Purple (Echinacea purpurea) Read the full profile of this plant at ArcaMax.com. Interested in reading about other plants? Search through hundreds of plant profiles and helpful articles by keyword.

Q & A: Soil for Raised Beds

Question: I just finished building raised beds for flowers and veggies. What type of soil mix should I use to fill them? Answer: A mix of about half topsoil and half compost should be fine. First, loosen the native soil and then combine it with the soil and compost add to create a transition between the different soil types.

Q & A: Rose Bush Dying From Black Spot

Question: my rose bush is almost dead ( some life). I sprayed with a fungicide. and insecticide.should i prune back all dead branches? if so , how far down can i go? Answer: Most roses can recover and releaf if they are otherwise healthy. Mid August is not a good time to prune because the new growth will be very tender and likely to winterkill as a result. Black spot is a fungal infection and can be difficult to control. Using an appropriate fungicide according to the label instructions along with removing any infected leaves and a very thorough clean up of the area around the plant can help. It is also good to keep the plant pruned regularly to enhanc eair circulation through it and to avoid overhead watering. Using a fresh layer of new mulch each spring can also help reduce the reinfection rate. In the end though, some rose varieties are more prone to black spot than others so if you have one that is particularly susceptible to it you might consider another variety.

Tip: Mulch Roses

Mulch roses once they start growing with a 3- to 4-inch thick layer of organic material such as shredded bark. Don't place mulch against the trunk, since that can lead to crown or root rot.

Today's Reader Submitted Photos

Recent Stories

Q & A: Choosing Pots Q & A: Sharpening Gardening Tools Tip: Fertilize Trees Morning Glory (Ipomoea purpurea) Q & A: Transplants Not Growing More Archived Stories

More From ArcaMax Publishing

Make sure this email gets to your inbox (and not your junk folder): just add ezines@... to your e-mail address book or safe list. Thank you!

ArcaMax Publishing, Inc. 729 Thimble Shoals Blvd. Suite 1-B Newport News, VA 23606 Fax: (757) 596-9731

ArcaMax Publishing is a leading publisher of family-friendly newsletters, featuring popular comics, games, feature columns and books by email. Thank you for reading the "Gardening Daily Tips" newsletter. You are subscribed with the following email address: bjoyful@.... Please feel free to forward this email on to your friends! Advertise in ArcaMax NewslettersFamily-friendly consumer content to 4.4 million subscribersClick to learn more.

Advertiser's Directory

FAQ / Help

Contact the Editor

Contact information for recent advertisers.Consumer Online Buying Guide: FTC Tips for shopping online

Answers to our most frequently asked questions.Contact Customer Service

Have a question or comment about an article you read in one of our ezines?

ArcaMax Publishing, Inc. and its licensors.All registered trademarks are the property of their respective owners.