RemedySpot.com

Re: Surgery? Its sickening

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Honey, it's not always about the cosmetic side of things that we get the surgery done. I'm very happy for you that there has been a supportive family around you, not all of us are that lucky, hence the support group.

Do you seriously think that the parents of these children do not weigh up the pros and cons of having the surgery on their young children? It's not exactly day surgery, and for goodness sakes, I don't think any of us look 'normal' even after the surgeries. (look at my photos ~Belinda~... I was still bullied all through school)

In my case my parents waited a little too long to have the surgery to lift my eyelids. Because they hesitated, my vision didn't develop properly in my left eye, so to be able to see anything, I have to hold it less than an inch away from that eye. Luckily I have pretty good vision in my Right eye, or else I would be legally blind.

Our children are precious before and after the surgery. They are beautiful before and after the surgery. This is a support group for the family and friends of people with BPES. As far as I can tell we don't hold it against anyone who chooses to not go through with the surgery, nor do we shun people for deciding to go through with it..... to do either of those would be the opposite of supportive.

The fact remains that it is not an easy life with BPES, in a global society that frowns upon abnormality. Having someone to talk to who has been through the same things as we have makes life a little more bearable. Not to mention having top notch information at hand makes our decisions more informed and far more equally balanced.

Please feel blessed that you have the life you have.

We may look a little different but we all see the same.

Belinda

Brisbane Australia

blepharophimosis Surgery? Its sickening

Im struggling right now to write this post with some sort of tact. I

thought this was a support group for people with "blepharophimosis"

but to me it seems like surgery is what is being supported....

I would never dream of having surgery. What would i tell my child,

when it was born, with eyes like me? How could i justify it, and tell

him or her that she is beautiful, except one thing, which surgery

could "fix"? How could i make him face the world alone, if i had went

through surgery to get 'normal' eyes? The child would come out with a

perception innately that something was wrong with him. Why else would

mom have changed herself, if there wasnt a problem?

I hear of kids going through 3 or 4 surgeries. I dont know if non

affected parents have a complete understanding of just

how...disturbing this is.

In my family, people have had eyes like mine since before my great

grandmother. I cant imagine what it would be like for two parents

without the eyes to have a kid with the eyes. They must feel

estranged, upset, scared, i dont know.

But out of the bottom of my heart i would urge every single parent

who ever has a child with the eyes to think about what they are

doing.

I grew up with family, constantly telling me i was beautiful, that

there was nothing wrong with me and i had as much right to be on the

earth as anyone else. I dont know what it would be like to be alone,

never seeing a family member with eyes like yours, and then to have

your parents show you in the direction of surgery.

My eyes dont give me a huge vision problem, i dont even have ANY

vision problems. So for an unaffected parent to give their child

surgery at the age of 3 or 5 or something just really really upsets

me. I was taught love and acceptance of peoples differences.

I have been mocked, ridiculed and degraded my entire life by people

who dont understand because of my eyes. But at the same time, i would

never get surgery to fix my outside appearance. It wont change my

genes.

Fuck being normal. Seriously. The people who hold my company love and

accept me for who I am. Ive waded through the callous assholes, and

the friends i have now are true friends. A little bit of extra skin

around my eyes doesnt change the way they feel about me. Sometimes i

thank god i was born this way. Now i know people love me for me

instead of strictly my appearance.

This post is huge and rather unorganized...but we aren't diseased,

people. We have extra skin on our eyelids, and some of us have vision

restrictions. We have all of our limbs. We can talk, be articulate,

create things...Any time i feel bad about my eyes i just think about

people confined to wheel chairs, people who cant take care of

themselves or who have mental disabilities.

Do people put their children through surgery saying they want to make

their children feel better about themselves???

I didnt even know my eyes were any different than anyone elses till i

was about 5, and even then it was a tentative understanding that i

was different.

I think maybe its the parents who feel uncomfortable. Maybe they want

to make themselves feel better about the way their child looks, and

not vice versa.

Im not trying to attack anyone personally, and if you want to call me

an asshole, or hate my words, please feel free. But i will tell you

that i live this everyday.

My cousin went to go have corrective surgery on her eyes. The only

one in our entire family out of three generations. The doctors messed

up the operation and now she has limited function of one eye. You

tell me what is better.

Im really upset about this 'support' group. Im upset that i even

found it. I thought i would be able to share experiences with people

like me. I didnt know that i would find people like me, going through

surgery, so they wouldnt be like me.

Email and AIM finally together. You've gotta check out free AOL Mail!

Well said. You all have my support and love.shewhomustbekept@... wrote: Honey, it's not always about the cosmetic side of things that we get the surgery done. I'm very happy for you that there has been a supportive family around you, not all of us are that lucky, hence the support group. Do you seriously think that the parents of these children do not weigh up the pros and cons of having the surgery on their young children? It's not exactly day surgery, and for goodness sakes, I don't think any of us look 'normal'

even after the surgeries. (look at my photos ~Belinda~... I was still bullied all through school)In my case my parents waited a little too long to have the surgery to lift my eyelids. Because they hesitated, my vision didn't develop properly in my left eye, so to be able to see anything, I have to hold it less than an inch away from that eye. Luckily I have pretty good vision in my Right eye, or else I would be legally blind.Our children are precious before and after the surgery. They are beautiful before and after the surgery. This is a support group for the family and friends of people with BPES. As far as I can tell we don't hold it against anyone who chooses to not go through with the surgery, nor do we shun people for deciding to go through with it..... to do either of those would be the opposite of supportive.The fact remains that it is not an easy life with BPES, in a global society that frowns upon abnormality.

Having someone to talk to who has been through the same things as we have makes life a little more bearable. Not to mention having top notch information at hand makes our decisions more informed and far more equally balanced.Please feel blessed that you have the life you have.We may look a little different but we all see the same.Belinda Brisbane Australia blepharophimosis Surgery? Its sickening Im struggling right now to write this post with some sort of tact. I thought this was a support group for people with "blepharophimosis" but to me it seems like surgery is what is being supported.... I would never dream of

having surgery. What would i tell my child, when it was born, with eyes like me? How could i justify it, and tell him or her that she is beautiful, except one thing, which surgery could "fix"? How could i make him face the world alone, if i had went through surgery to get 'normal' eyes? The child would come out with a perception innately that something was wrong with him. Why else would mom have changed herself, if there wasnt a problem? I hear of kids going through 3 or 4 surgeries. I dont know if non affected parents have a complete understanding of just how...disturbing this is. In my family, people have had eyes like mine since before my great grandmother. I cant imagine what it would be like for two parents without the eyes to have a kid with the eyes. They must feel estranged, upset, scared, i dont know. But out of the bottom of my heart i would urge every single parent who ever has a child with

the eyes to think about what they are doing. I grew up with family, constantly telling me i was beautiful, that there was nothing wrong with me and i had as much right to be on the earth as anyone else. I dont know what it would be like to be alone, never seeing a family member with eyes like yours, and then to have your parents show you in the direction of surgery. My eyes dont give me a huge vision problem, i dont even have ANY vision problems. So for an unaffected parent to give their child surgery at the age of 3 or 5 or something just really really upsets me. I was taught love and acceptance of peoples differences. I have been mocked, ridiculed and degraded my entire life by people who dont understand because of my eyes. But at the same time, i would never get surgery to fix my outside appearance. It wont change my genes. Fuck being normal. Seriously. The people who hold my company love and

accept me for who I am. Ive waded through the callous assholes, and the friends i have now are true friends. A little bit of extra skin around my eyes doesnt change the way they feel about me. Sometimes i thank god i was born this way. Now i know people love me for me instead of strictly my appearance. This post is huge and rather unorganized...but we aren't diseased, people. We have extra skin on our eyelids, and some of us have vision restrictions. We have all of our limbs. We can talk, be articulate, create things...Any time i feel bad about my eyes i just think about people confined to wheel chairs, people who cant take care of themselves or who have mental disabilities. Do people put their children through surgery saying they want to make their children feel better about themselves??? I didnt even know my eyes were any different than anyone elses till i was about 5, and even then it was

a tentative understanding that i was different. I think maybe its the parents who feel uncomfortable. Maybe they want to make themselves feel better about the way their child looks, and not vice versa. Im not trying to attack anyone personally, and if you want to call me an asshole, or hate my words, please feel free. But i will tell you that i live this everyday. My cousin went to go have corrective surgery on her eyes. The only one in our entire family out of three generations. The doctors messed up the operation and now she has limited function of one eye. You tell me what is better. Im really upset about this 'support' group. Im upset that i even found it. I thought i would be able to share experiences with people like me. I didnt know that i would find people like me, going through surgery, so they wouldnt be like me. Email and AIM finally together. You've gotta check out free AOL Mail!

Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you with Mobile. Try it now.

What is even more sickening is people who judge others who may have a different view or belief than they do.........................I certainly hope that my daughter (who is thrilled to have had surgery , and would like even more) never shares your anger for people who choose NOT to have surgery! That would make her almost like one of those "bullies" we have tried so hard to rise above.....If you are happy in your decision to refrain from surgery, then be happy. We will do the same, and be happy for you.h <kureeji@...> wrote: Im struggling right now to write this post with some sort of tact. I thought this was a support group for people with "blepharophimosis" but to me it seems like surgery is what is being supported.... I would never dream of having surgery. What would i tell my child, when it was born, with eyes like me? How could i justify it, and tell him or her that she is beautiful, except one thing, which surgery could "fix"? How could i make him face the world alone, if i had went through surgery to get 'normal' eyes? The child would come out with a perception innately that something was wrong with him. Why else would mom have changed herself, if there wasnt a problem? I hear of kids going through 3 or 4 surgeries. I dont know if non affected parents have a complete understanding of just how...disturbing this is. In my family, people have had eyes like mine since before my great

grandmother. I cant imagine what it would be like for two parents without the eyes to have a kid with the eyes. They must feel estranged, upset, scared, i dont know. But out of the bottom of my heart i would urge every single parent who ever has a child with the eyes to think about what they are doing. I grew up with family, constantly telling me i was beautiful, that there was nothing wrong with me and i had as much right to be on the earth as anyone else. I dont know what it would be like to be alone, never seeing a family member with eyes like yours, and then to have your parents show you in the direction of surgery. My eyes dont give me a huge vision problem, i dont even have ANY vision problems. So for an unaffected parent to give their child surgery at the age of 3 or 5 or something just really really upsets me. I was taught love and acceptance of peoples differences. I

have been mocked, ridiculed and degraded my entire life by people who dont understand because of my eyes. But at the same time, i would never get surgery to fix my outside appearance. It wont change my genes. Fuck being normal. Seriously. The people who hold my company love and accept me for who I am. Ive waded through the callous assholes, and the friends i have now are true friends. A little bit of extra skin around my eyes doesnt change the way they feel about me. Sometimes i thank god i was born this way. Now i know people love me for me instead of strictly my appearance. This post is huge and rather unorganized...but we aren't diseased, people. We have extra skin on our eyelids, and some of us have vision restrictions. We have all of our limbs. We can talk, be articulate, create things...Any time i feel bad about my eyes i just think about people confined to wheel chairs, people who

cant take care of themselves or who have mental disabilities. Do people put their children through surgery saying they want to make their children feel better about themselves??? I didnt even know my eyes were any different than anyone elses till i was about 5, and even then it was a tentative understanding that i was different. I think maybe its the parents who feel uncomfortable. Maybe they want to make themselves feel better about the way their child looks, and not vice versa. Im not trying to attack anyone personally, and if you want to call me an asshole, or hate my words, please feel free. But i will tell you that i live this everyday. My cousin went to go have corrective surgery on her eyes. The only one in our entire family out of three generations. The doctors messed up the operation and now she has limited function of one eye. You tell me what is better.

Im really upset about this 'support' group. Im upset that i even found it. I thought i would be able to share experiences with people like me. I didnt know that i would find people like me, going through surgery, so they wouldnt be like me.

Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you with Mobile. Try it now.

I can assure you that I did not subject my 22-month-old daughter to

surgery just because I am vain. In fact, I consulted 2 pediatric

ophthalmologists before I decided to go through with it. If your

vision isn't affected by your condition, you are very lucky. My

daughter, on the other hand, was barely able to see at all. She had

to tilt her head so far back in order to see that the doctors

worried that she would have life-long problems with her neck if we

waited any longer. Plus, she had congenital epiblepharon (her

bottom lashes rolled in and rubbed against her eyes). The constant

rubbing was starting to cause scaring on her eyes. Because the

surgery was preformed by an ophthalmic plastic surgeon my insurance

company wouldn't agree to pay for it unless it was determined to

be " medically necessary " . It was.

Personally, I loved my daughter's " little eyes " . See, she was

adopted at 19 months old, and I feel in love with the pictures of

those little eyes even before I met the child. I actually made it a

point to take her in and have professional portraits done before the

surgery so that we would always be able to see the beautiful face

she was born with. If the surgery was purely cosmetic, it would

never have happened. My daughter had surgery to save her sight, not

because I was embarrassed or uncomfortable with her looks. She was,

is, and always will be absolutely beautiful.

And surgery or not, my daughter still has blepharophimosis. Surgery

can help her vision, but it is never going to change her

chromosomes.

Donna

Dear, dear h -- I was born 51 years ago with BPES although I

didn't find out until just this year what it was when I stumbled upon

this website and then followed through on more research. I am the

only one in my family with BPES. I had 10 surgeries by the age of 10.

I was a severe case with an inability to see without some kind of

surgery. I lost the sight in my left eye due to lack of development

in my early years because of the BPES. The surgeries were necessary

for my sight. My right eye remained useful but I have a HUGE

correction and without glasses I am legally blind. Despite the fact

that surgeries saved my sight, I do know that my parents, in their

ignorance of this congenital disorder, if you will, were extremely

concerned for me because of my appearance, as well. And they should

have been. There was no way that I looked normal and they knew that

my future would most definitely include painful encounters with

insensitive individuals. What parent wouldn't want to do whatever

they could to shield their child from that? It's not about cosmetic

surgery, h. It's about loving one's child. It's all about

love. I can tell that even though you did not have surgeries and your

family chose a different path in which to approach your BPES with

you -- you were still hurt from it, just like the rest of us. You

have anger in you. Anger is born from hurt and pain. I understand

your hurt. I am just like you. I had to grow up with BPES just like

you. My surgeries, although many, were mostly botched because my

doctors didn't really know what they were dealing with back in the

1950's. I'm thankful, however, that I am surrounded by people who

accept me the way that I am and that I am able to forgive those who

have hurt me in the past with their mean and painful remarks. Please

don't sink into the temptation to judge others situations that you

know nothing about. You may have BPES like the children of these

parents on this website support group but BPES takes many forms and

severities, and you do not know individual situations so you are not

entitled to judge them without knowledge. I have empathy for you

because you are kind of like my sister in that you are afflicted with

the same thing that I am. We all deal with afflictions differently,

h. Let's lift each other up and support each other's efforts

to live life to the best of our abilities, shall we? It's so much

nicer that way.

With much care,

Dannah

(dannahbananan16)

--- In blepharophimosis , " h " <kureeji@...>

wrote:

>

> Im struggling right now to write this post with some sort of tact.

I

> thought this was a support group for people with " blepharophimosis "

> but to me it seems like surgery is what is being supported....

>

> I would never dream of having surgery. What would i tell my child,

> when it was born, with eyes like me? How could i justify it, and

tell

> him or her that she is beautiful, except one thing, which surgery

> could " fix " ? How could i make him face the world alone, if i had

went

> through surgery to get 'normal' eyes? The child would come out with

a

> perception innately that something was wrong with him. Why else

would

> mom have changed herself, if there wasnt a problem?

>

> I hear of kids going through 3 or 4 surgeries. I dont know if non

> affected parents have a complete understanding of just

> how...disturbing this is.

>

> In my family, people have had eyes like mine since before my great

> grandmother. I cant imagine what it would be like for two parents

> without the eyes to have a kid with the eyes. They must feel

> estranged, upset, scared, i dont know.

>

> But out of the bottom of my heart i would urge every single parent

> who ever has a child with the eyes to think about what they are

> doing.

>

> I grew up with family, constantly telling me i was beautiful, that

> there was nothing wrong with me and i had as much right to be on

the

> earth as anyone else. I dont know what it would be like to be

alone,

> never seeing a family member with eyes like yours, and then to have

> your parents show you in the direction of surgery.

>

> My eyes dont give me a huge vision problem, i dont even have ANY

> vision problems. So for an unaffected parent to give their child

> surgery at the age of 3 or 5 or something just really really upsets

> me. I was taught love and acceptance of peoples differences.

>

> I have been mocked, ridiculed and degraded my entire life by people

> who dont understand because of my eyes. But at the same time, i

would

> never get surgery to fix my outside appearance. It wont change my

> genes.

>

> Fuck being normal. Seriously. The people who hold my company love

and

> accept me for who I am. Ive waded through the callous assholes, and

> the friends i have now are true friends. A little bit of extra skin

> around my eyes doesnt change the way they feel about me. Sometimes

i

> thank god i was born this way. Now i know people love me for me

> instead of strictly my appearance.

>

> This post is huge and rather unorganized...but we aren't diseased,

> people. We have extra skin on our eyelids, and some of us have

vision

> restrictions. We have all of our limbs. We can talk, be articulate,

> create things...Any time i feel bad about my eyes i just think

about

> people confined to wheel chairs, people who cant take care of

> themselves or who have mental disabilities.

>

> Do people put their children through surgery saying they want to

make

> their children feel better about themselves???

>

> I didnt even know my eyes were any different than anyone elses till

i

> was about 5, and even then it was a tentative understanding that i

> was different.

>

> I think maybe its the parents who feel uncomfortable. Maybe they

want

> to make themselves feel better about the way their child looks, and

> not vice versa.

>

> Im not trying to attack anyone personally, and if you want to call

me

> an asshole, or hate my words, please feel free. But i will tell you

> that i live this everyday.

>

> My cousin went to go have corrective surgery on her eyes. The only

> one in our entire family out of three generations. The doctors

messed

> up the operation and now she has limited function of one eye. You

> tell me what is better.

>

> Im really upset about this 'support' group. Im upset that i even

> found it. I thought i would be able to share experiences with

people

> like me. I didnt know that i would find people like me, going

through

> surgery, so they wouldnt be like me.

>

Well said Micah.

My daughter Mayowa waited till she was older to have surgery. Cos we were quite happy with her eyes until her eye test shows that due to light not getting thru to her pulpils she is nearly blind in her right eye. This we are told is permanent damage. I kick myself hard daily for my ignorance. My younger daughter who also has Bleph had her surgery sooner. Her vision is 20/20. She did not want surgery but it was neccesary.

It it important that people are able to express themselves without fear.

Also children do go on this site. Lets keep things nice

Joyce London (mother of Mayowa and Tina)

Cheers

Not that I owe anyone an explanation, because that is not the point, but my daughter's surgery WAS MEDICALLY NECESSARY to insure proper development of her vision. I was sick over the fact that those beautiful eyes that I fell in love with would change in appearance. Well, appearance is not important, and after the surgery, I fell equally in love with the eyes that stared back at me with with gratitude. My daughter thanks me every day for loving her enough to correct a defect that needed correction. My daughter was not as "lucky" as you, she DID require surgery.That said, we are not angry or bitter towards people who choose to have face lifts, boob jobs, or sex changes. We do not judge others. Maybe that is due to the "support system" we have in our family.donna haskins <dhaskins214@...> wrote: What is even more sickening is people who judge others who may have a different view or belief than they do.........................I certainly hope that my daughter (who is thrilled to have had surgery , and would like even more) never shares your anger for people who choose NOT to have surgery! That would make her almost like one of those "bullies" we have tried so hard to rise above.....If you are happy in your decision to refrain from surgery, then be happy. We will do the same, and be happy for you.h <kureejihotmail> wrote: Im struggling right now to write this post with some sort of tact. I thought this was a support group for people with "blepharophimosis" but to me it seems like surgery is what is being supported.... I would never dream of having surgery. What would i tell my child, when it was born, with eyes like me? How could i justify it, and tell him or her that she is beautiful, except one thing, which surgery could "fix"? How could i make him face the world alone, if i had went through surgery to get 'normal' eyes? The child would come out with a perception innately that something was wrong with him. Why else would mom have changed herself, if there wasnt a problem? I hear of kids going through 3 or 4 surgeries. I dont know if non affected parents have a complete understanding of just how...disturbing this is. In my family,

people have had eyes like mine since before my great grandmother. I cant imagine what it would be like for two parents without the eyes to have a kid with the eyes. They must feel estranged, upset, scared, i dont know. But out of the bottom of my heart i would urge every single parent who ever has a child with the eyes to think about what they are doing. I grew up with family, constantly telling me i was beautiful, that there was nothing wrong with me and i had as much right to be on the earth as anyone else. I dont know what it would be like to be alone, never seeing a family member with eyes like yours, and then to have your parents show you in the direction of surgery. My eyes dont give me a huge vision problem, i dont even have ANY vision problems. So for an unaffected parent to give their child surgery at the age of 3 or 5 or something just really really upsets me. I was taught

love and acceptance of peoples differences. I have been mocked, ridiculed and degraded my entire life by people who dont understand because of my eyes. But at the same time, i would never get surgery to fix my outside appearance. It wont change my genes. Fuck being normal. Seriously. The people who hold my company love and accept me for who I am. Ive waded through the callous assholes, and the friends i have now are true friends. A little bit of extra skin around my eyes doesnt change the way they feel about me. Sometimes i thank god i was born this way. Now i know people love me for me instead of strictly my appearance. This post is huge and rather unorganized...but we aren't diseased, people. We have extra skin on our eyelids, and some of us have vision restrictions. We have all of our limbs. We can talk, be articulate, create things...Any time i feel bad about my eyes i just think

about people confined to wheel chairs, people who cant take care of themselves or who have mental disabilities. Do people put their children through surgery saying they want to make their children feel better about themselves??? I didnt even know my eyes were any different than anyone elses till i was about 5, and even then it was a tentative understanding that i was different. I think maybe its the parents who feel uncomfortable. Maybe they want to make themselves feel better about the way their child looks, and not vice versa. Im not trying to attack anyone personally, and if you want to call me an asshole, or hate my words, please feel free. But i will tell you that i live this everyday. My cousin went to go have corrective surgery on her eyes. The only one in our entire family out of three generations. The doctors messed up the operation and now she has

limited function of one eye. You tell me what is better. Im really upset about this 'support' group. Im upset that i even found it. I thought i would be able to share experiences with people like me. I didnt know that i would find people like me, going through surgery, so they wouldnt be like me. Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you with Mobile. Try it now.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

I dont judge those who have surgery. I just think it would be helpful for the child to make the decision for themselves, when they have an understanding of what they are doing.

Its a decision that i personally believe the child should be able to make when they are old enough to understand. Not when they are 3 months old, and dont even have a concept of self yet.

blepharophimosis From: dhaskins214@...Date: Sun, 18 Nov 2007 15:46:49 -0800Subject: Re: blepharophimosis Surgery? Its sickening

What is even more sickening is people who judge others who may have a different view or belief than they do.........................I certainly hope that my daughter (who is thrilled to have had surgery , and would like even more) never shares your anger for people who choose NOT to have surgery! That would make her almost like one of those "bullies" we have tried so hard to rise above.....If you are happy in your decision to refrain from surgery, then be happy. We will do the same, and be happy for you.h <kureejihotmail> wrote:

Im struggling right now to write this post with some sort of tact. I thought this was a support group for people with "blepharophimosis" but to me it seems like surgery is what is being supported.... I would never dream of having surgery. What would i tell my child, when it was born, with eyes like me? How could i justify it, and tell him or her that she is beautiful, except one thing, which surgery could "fix"? How could i make him face the world alone, if i had went through surgery to get 'normal' eyes? The child would come out with a perception innately that something was wrong with him. Why else would mom have changed herself, if there wasnt a problem? I hear of kids going through 3 or 4 surgeries. I dont know if non affected parents have a complete understanding of just how...disturbing this is. In my family, people have had eyes like mine since before my great grandmother. I cant imagine what it would be like for two parents without the eyes to have a kid with the eyes. They must feel estranged, upset, scared, i dont know. But out of the bottom of my heart i would urge every single parent who ever has a child with the eyes to think about what they are doing. I grew up with family, constantly telling me i was beautiful, that there was nothing wrong with me and i had as much right to be on the earth as anyone else. I dont know what it would be like to be alone, never seeing a family member with eyes like yours, and then to have your parents show you in the direction of surgery. My eyes dont give me a huge vision problem, i dont even have ANY vision problems. So for an unaffected parent to give their child surgery at the age of 3 or 5 or something just really really upsets me. I was taught love and acceptance of peoples differences. I have been mocked, ridiculed and degraded my entire life by people who dont understand because of my eyes. But at the same time, i would never get surgery to fix my outside appearance. It wont change my genes. Fuck being normal. Seriously. The people who hold my company love and accept me for who I am. Ive waded through the callous assholes, and the friends i have now are true friends. A little bit of extra skin around my eyes doesnt change the way they feel about me. Sometimes i thank god i was born this way. Now i know people love me for me instead of strictly my appearance. This post is huge and rather unorganized...but we aren't diseased, people. We have extra skin on our eyelids, and some of us have vision restrictions. We have all of our limbs. We can talk, be articulate, create things...Any time i feel bad about my eyes i just think about people confined to wheel chairs, people who cant take care of themselves or who have mental disabilities. Do people put their children through surgery saying they want to make their children feel better about themselves??? I didnt even know my eyes were any different than anyone elses till i was about 5, and even then it was a tentative understanding that i was different. I think maybe its the parents who feel uncomfortable. Maybe they want to make themselves feel better about the way their child looks, and not vice versa. Im not trying to attack anyone personally, and if you want to call me an asshole, or hate my words, please feel free. But i will tell you that i live this everyday. My cousin went to go have corrective surgery on her eyes. The only one in our entire family out of three generations. The doctors messed up the operation and now she has limited function of one eye. You tell me what is better. Im really upset about this 'support' group. Im upset that i even found it. I thought i would be able to share experiences with people like me. I didnt know that i would find people like me, going through surgery, so they wouldnt be like me.

Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you with Mobile. Try it now. Share life as it happens with the new Windows Live. Share now!

I understand where you are coming from whole heartedly. I was referring to surgery strictly for cosmetic purposes, when the child is too young to be aware of whats happening to them.

I saw a post in another group where a mother who was unaffected had a child with it. She asked what development problems were associated with the condition.

It really shook me to the core and scared me, about how uneducated people are. And the possibility of people like that who are ill informed, putting their children through surgery, really really scared me.

My youngest cousin may have to go through surgery, her eyes are smaller than mine and she has to tilt her head. Im not judging anyone who goes through surgery to improve their vision. At the same time, i wonder what unaffected parents see as a vision problem? I had to tilt my head when i was younger. People still come up to me and ask me "Can you see?"

I have the same range of vision as anyone else. Most of my family does, except my youngest cousin, being the only one who may *need*

surgery.

The only way a parent will know if their child is having a vision problem is to give it some time. All children with it will tilt their head. They are short, and paired with the eyes, you get the tilt. But my mother says that as i grew taller the habit was completely eliminated.

I can understand how that would scare parents, seeing their children tilt their head like that. What else can be assumed, but that there is a vision problem?

My point is the only way a parent will know what the world looks like through their childrens eyes is to WAIT TILL THEY CAN TELL YOU. I understand that epiblepharon agitated the situation and i understand that you wanted the best for her. I understand.

But as a person who has blepharophimosis with no other conditions, im very lucky that my mother didnt take me to have surgery when i was young. Even though i tilted my head, and my eyes may seem like i have a vision problem, i dont. And you know what? Until this group, not one doctor has ever given me any information about this. Doctors dont always have the answers, they are just people like me and you.

Psychologically and socially, i have no idea how different my life would be if i had been operated on at a young age.

Thats where im coming from, and i didnt mean to upset anyone...it has enriched my life to read everyones stories.

I put a picture of me in the gallery if anyone wants to know what my eyes look like. I can put up ones of me as a child as well.

blepharophimosis From: donnat65@...Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 00:38:09 +0000Subject: blepharophimosis Re: Surgery? Its sickening

I can assure you that I did not subject my 22-month-old daughter to surgery just because I am vain. In fact, I consulted 2 pediatric ophthalmologists before I decided to go through with it. If your vision isn't affected by your condition, you are very lucky. My daughter, on the other hand, was barely able to see at all. She had to tilt her head so far back in order to see that the doctors worried that she would have life-long problems with her neck if we waited any longer. Plus, she had congenital epiblepharon (her bottom lashes rolled in and rubbed against her eyes). The constant rubbing was starting to cause scaring on her eyes. Because the surgery was preformed by an ophthalmic plastic surgeon my insurance company wouldn't agree to pay for it unless it was determined to be "medically necessary". It was. Personally, I loved my daughter's "little eyes". See, she was adopted at 19 months old, and I feel in love with the pictures of those little eyes even before I met the child. I actually made it a point to take her in and have professional portraits done before the surgery so that we would always be able to see the beautiful face she was born with. If the surgery was purely cosmetic, it would never have happened. My daughter had surgery to save her sight, not because I was embarrassed or uncomfortable with her looks. She was, is, and always will be absolutely beautiful.And surgery or not, my daughter still has blepharophimosis. Surgery can help her vision, but it is never going to change her chromosomes. Donna Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Connect now!

Hi there h,

Tact was never a strong suit of mine either, so here goes.

You did yourself a disservice with this post - this email oozed ignorance.

Sit down for an afternoon and research the symptoms of bleph. Make sure you

look at a variety of pictures posted of people with the condition. You will

notice an important feature that many of the people (most of them small

babies) share. They cannot open their eyes. I don't mean that their eyes

were small. I'll say it again, as I get the impression clarity is key here.

They cannot open their eyes wide enough to see properly.

Now, aside from the obvious, there is a serious issue with having your

pupils permanently covered, and it is this. If a number of years pass and

your pupils are not exposed to light, you go blind. It is very important

that you believe me here h - that is not good. You see, I am as into

self acceptance as you are. Like you, I am 3rd generation bleph. But there

is a catch here - the condition many of us have makes it impossible to see

without surgical treatment. By this I don't mean that people titter behind

your back during recess. I mean that some of the kids here would go blind

without surgery.

h - the outrage you display, actually, isn't always a bad thing by

any means. Your ignorance, unfortunately, is. Get educated about the

condition you have, so that you in turn can be of service to those afflicted

even more severely than you are.

All the best, Micah

(3rd generation bleph, and partially blind in my right eye)

blepharophimosis Surgery? Its sickening

Im struggling right now to write this post with some sort of tact. I

thought this was a support group for people with " blepharophimosis "

but to me it seems like surgery is what is being supported....

I would never dream of having surgery. What would i tell my child,

when it was born, with eyes like me? How could i justify it, and tell

him or her that she is beautiful, except one thing, which surgery

could " fix " ? How could i make him face the world alone, if i had went

through surgery to get 'normal' eyes? The child would come out with a

perception innately that something was wrong with him. Why else would

mom have changed herself, if there wasnt a problem?

I hear of kids going through 3 or 4 surgeries. I dont know if non

affected parents have a complete understanding of just

how...disturbing this is.

In my family, people have had eyes like mine since before my great

grandmother. I cant imagine what it would be like for two parents

without the eyes to have a kid with the eyes. They must feel

estranged, upset, scared, i dont know.

But out of the bottom of my heart i would urge every single parent

who ever has a child with the eyes to think about what they are

doing.

I grew up with family, constantly telling me i was beautiful, that

there was nothing wrong with me and i had as much right to be on the

earth as anyone else. I dont know what it would be like to be alone,

never seeing a family member with eyes like yours, and then to have

your parents show you in the direction of surgery.

My eyes dont give me a huge vision problem, i dont even have ANY

vision problems. So for an unaffected parent to give their child

surgery at the age of 3 or 5 or something just really really upsets

me. I was taught love and acceptance of peoples differences.

I have been mocked, ridiculed and degraded my entire life by people

who dont understand because of my eyes. But at the same time, i would

never get surgery to fix my outside appearance. It wont change my

genes.

Fuck being normal. Seriously. The people who hold my company love and

accept me for who I am. Ive waded through the callous assholes, and

the friends i have now are true friends. A little bit of extra skin

around my eyes doesnt change the way they feel about me. Sometimes i

thank god i was born this way. Now i know people love me for me

instead of strictly my appearance.

This post is huge and rather unorganized...but we aren't diseased,

people. We have extra skin on our eyelids, and some of us have vision

restrictions. We have all of our limbs. We can talk, be articulate,

create things...Any time i feel bad about my eyes i just think about

people confined to wheel chairs, people who cant take care of

themselves or who have mental disabilities.

Do people put their children through surgery saying they want to make

their children feel better about themselves???

I didnt even know my eyes were any different than anyone elses till i

was about 5, and even then it was a tentative understanding that i

was different.

I think maybe its the parents who feel uncomfortable. Maybe they want

to make themselves feel better about the way their child looks, and

not vice versa.

Im not trying to attack anyone personally, and if you want to call me

an asshole, or hate my words, please feel free. But i will tell you

that i live this everyday.

My cousin went to go have corrective surgery on her eyes. The only

one in our entire family out of three generations. The doctors messed

up the operation and now she has limited function of one eye. You

tell me what is better.

Im really upset about this 'support' group. Im upset that i even

found it. I thought i would be able to share experiences with people

like me. I didnt know that i would find people like me, going through

surgery, so they wouldnt be like me.

I understand where you are coming from.

I was speaking about surgery strictly for cosmetic purposes, done by

parents who may or may not know all the facts about their child's

condition.

'My daughter thanks me every day for loving her enough to correct a

defect that needed correction.'

I would hope that your daughter never hears you refer to her

condition that way. I have no words to explain how much that would

hurt her definition of self-worth, if she is a young girl.

> Im struggling right now to write this

post with some sort of tact. I

> thought this was a support group for people

with " blepharophimosis "

>

tell

went

> through surgery to get 'normal' eyes? The child would come out

with a

would

>

>

>

> doing.

>

the

alone,

> never seeing a family member with eyes like yours, and then to

have

>

> surgery at the age of 3 or 5 or something just really really

upsets

>

> I have been mocked, ridiculed and degraded my entire life by

people

would

> genes.

>

and

> accept me for who I am. Ive waded through the callous assholes,

and

> the friends i have now are true friends. A little bit of extra

skin

i

>

vision

> restrictions. We have all of our limbs. We can talk, be

articulate,

about

>

make

>

> I didnt even know my eyes were any different than anyone elses

till i

> was different.

>

want

> to make themselves feel better about the way their child looks,

and

> not vice versa.

>

me

> an asshole, or hate my words, please feel free. But i will tell

you

>

messed

>

people

through

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you with

Mobile. Try it now.

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

>

I am aware of everything that your email stated.

I am aware of the severity of the issue.

I looked all the photo gallery before i posted, and i have been

researching this my entire life.

Your email oozed spite.

I was referring to COSMETIC SURGERY!!!! For the children who do not

have vision problems.

I appreciate the fact that you think i am ignorant. I guess you are

ill informed about some things as well.

>

> Hi there h,

>

> Tact was never a strong suit of mine either, so here goes.

>

> You did yourself a disservice with this post - this email oozed

ignorance.

> Sit down for an afternoon and research the symptoms of bleph. Make

sure you

> look at a variety of pictures posted of people with the condition.

You will

> notice an important feature that many of the people (most of them

small

> babies) share. They cannot open their eyes. I don't mean that

their eyes

> were small. I'll say it again, as I get the impression clarity is

key here.

> They cannot open their eyes wide enough to see properly.

>

> Now, aside from the obvious, there is a serious issue with having

your

> pupils permanently covered, and it is this. If a number of years

pass and

> your pupils are not exposed to light, you go blind. It is very

important

> that you believe me here h - that is not good. You see, I

am as into

> self acceptance as you are. Like you, I am 3rd generation bleph.

But there

> is a catch here - the condition many of us have makes it impossible

to see

> without surgical treatment. By this I don't mean that people

titter behind

> your back during recess. I mean that some of the kids here would

go blind

> without surgery.

>

> h - the outrage you display, actually, isn't always a bad

thing by

> any means. Your ignorance, unfortunately, is. Get educated about

the

> condition you have, so that you in turn can be of service to those

afflicted

> even more severely than you are.

>

> All the best, Micah

> (3rd generation bleph, and partially blind in my right eye)

>

>

>

> blepharophimosis Surgery? Its sickening

>

I

>

tell

went

a

would

>

>

>

> doing.

>

the

alone,

>

>

would

> genes.

>

and

i

>

vision

about

>

make

>

i

> was different.

>

want

> not vice versa.

>

me

>

messed

>

people

through

>

>

>

>

>

And by the way, your subtle sarcasm helps no one.

>

> Hi there h,

>

> Tact was never a strong suit of mine either, so here goes.

>

> You did yourself a disservice with this post - this email oozed

ignorance.

> Sit down for an afternoon and research the symptoms of bleph. Make

sure you

> look at a variety of pictures posted of people with the condition.

You will

> notice an important feature that many of the people (most of them

small

> babies) share. They cannot open their eyes. I don't mean that

their eyes

> were small. I'll say it again, as I get the impression clarity is

key here.

> They cannot open their eyes wide enough to see properly.

>

> Now, aside from the obvious, there is a serious issue with having

your

> pupils permanently covered, and it is this. If a number of years

pass and

> your pupils are not exposed to light, you go blind. It is very

important

> that you believe me here h - that is not good. You see, I

am as into

> self acceptance as you are. Like you, I am 3rd generation bleph.

But there

> is a catch here - the condition many of us have makes it impossible

to see

> without surgical treatment. By this I don't mean that people

titter behind

> your back during recess. I mean that some of the kids here would

go blind

> without surgery.

>

> h - the outrage you display, actually, isn't always a bad

thing by

> any means. Your ignorance, unfortunately, is. Get educated about

the

> condition you have, so that you in turn can be of service to those

afflicted

> even more severely than you are.

>

> All the best, Micah

> (3rd generation bleph, and partially blind in my right eye)

>

>

>

> blepharophimosis Surgery? Its sickening

>

I

>

tell

went

a

would

>

>

>

> doing.

>

the

alone,

>

>

would

> genes.

>

and

i

>

vision

about

>

make

>

i

> was different.

>

want

> not vice versa.

>

me

>

messed

>

people

through

>

>

>

>

>

My daughter couldn't open her eyes until she had surgery. She is only

3 and she wears glasses. There is no amount of surgery in the world

that will ever make her eyes normal, and if I could rip my beating

heart out of my body to make her eyes normal you better believe I

would do it.

If you don't need surgery good for you! Count yourselves amongst the

lucky people with bpes who don't.

I see you struggled (and failed) to write with tact

wrote:

>

I

>

tell

went

a

would

>

>

>

> doing.

>

the

alone,

>

>

would

> genes.

>

and

i

>

vision

about

>

make

>

i

> was different.

>

want

> not vice versa.

>

me

>

messed

>

people

through

>

I have BPES and so does my dad. When my daughter I was born I was

amazed at how did I learn as a child, with such visual impairment, it

still amazes me to this day. Anyone would wonder about the effects on

development

To say that it is better to go through hurt and humiliation, but not

stoop low enough to have a surgical improvement of a medical

condition, makes no sense to me. If my daughter's teeth are crooked I

will get her braces. If she had alopecia I would get her a wig, if

she had bumps on her nose I would get her rhinoplasty, why not? Why

not take advantage of modern medicine. What point are you proving? A

surgery takes a few hours of your life, being teased and constantly

questioned about your looks is far worse. I don't understand why any

parent would choose that for their child...

If you haven't noticed, there are tons of people who are " normal " ,

having loving homes, loving parents, and still have low self esteem.

You seem to think loving your kid is all it takes. It's just a start.

--- In blepharophimosis , Colson <kureeji@...>

wrote:

>

>

> I understand where you are coming from whole heartedly. I was

referring to surgery strictly for cosmetic purposes, when the child

is too young to be aware of whats happening to them.

>

> I saw a post in another group where a mother who was unaffected had

a child with it. She asked what development problems were associated

with the condition.

>

> It really shook me to the core and scared me, about how uneducated

people are. And the possibility of people like that who are ill

informed, putting their children through surgery, really really

scared me.

>

> My youngest cousin may have to go through surgery, her eyes are

smaller than mine and she has to tilt her head. Im not judging

anyone who goes through surgery to improve their vision. At the same

time, i wonder what unaffected parents see as a vision problem? I had

to tilt my head when i was younger. People still come up to me and

ask me " Can you see? "

>

> I have the same range of vision as anyone else. Most of my family

does, except my youngest cousin, being the only one who may *need*

> surgery.

>

> The only way a parent will know if their child is having a vision

problem is to give it some time. All children with it will tilt their

head. They are short, and paired with the eyes, you get the tilt. But

my mother says that as i grew taller the habit was completely

eliminated.

>

> I can understand how that would scare parents, seeing their

children tilt their head like that. What else can be assumed, but

that there is a vision problem?

>

>

> My point is the only way a parent will know what the world looks

like through their childrens eyes is to WAIT TILL THEY CAN TELL YOU.

I understand that epiblepharon agitated the situation and i

understand that you wanted the best for her. I understand.

>

> But as a person who has blepharophimosis with no other conditions,

im very lucky that my mother didnt take me to have surgery when i was

young. Even though i tilted my head, and my eyes may seem like i have

a vision problem, i dont. And you know what? Until this group, not

one doctor has ever given me any information about this. Doctors dont

always have the answers, they are just people like me and you.

>

> Psychologically and socially, i have no idea how different my life

would be if i had been operated on at a young age.

>

> Thats where im coming from, and i didnt mean to upset anyone...it

has enriched my life to read everyones stories.

>

> I put a picture of me in the gallery if anyone wants to know what

my eyes look like. I can put up ones of me as a child as well.

>

>

>

> blepharophimosis@...: donnat65@...: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 00:38:09

+0000Subject: blepharophimosis Re: Surgery? Its sickening

>

>

>

>

> I can assure you that I did not subject my 22-month-old daughter to

to tilt her head so far back in order to see that the doctors worried

that she would have life-long problems with her neck if we waited any

longer. Plus, she had congenital epiblepharon (her bottom lashes

rolled in and rubbed against her eyes). The constant rubbing was

starting to cause scaring on her eyes. Because the surgery was

preformed by an ophthalmic plastic surgeon my insurance company

wouldn't agree to pay for it unless it was determined to

be " medically necessary " . It was. Personally, I loved my

daughter's " little eyes " . See, she was adopted at 19 months old, and

I feel in love with the pictures of those little eyes even before I

met the child. I actually made it a point to take her in and have

professional portraits done before the surgery so that we would

always be able to see the beautiful face she was born with. If the

surgery was purely cosmetic, it would never have happened. My

daughter had surgery to save her sight, not because I was embarrassed

or uncomfortable with her looks. She was, is, and always will be

absolutely beautiful.And surgery or not, my daughter still has

blepharophimosis. Surgery can help her vision, but it is never going

to change her chromosomes. Donna

>

>

>

>

>

>

> _________________________________________________________________

> Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live.

> http://www.windowslive.com/connect.html?

ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_newways_112007

>

My dad and I both have arthritis and aggravated scoliosis because of

tiliting our heads, oh but not big deal, right. Maybe it will go away

when I am 50.

--- In blepharophimosis , Colson <kureeji@...>

wrote:

>

>

> I understand where you are coming from whole heartedly. I was

referring to surgery strictly for cosmetic purposes, when the child

is too young to be aware of whats happening to them.

>

> I saw a post in another group where a mother who was unaffected had

a child with it. She asked what development problems were associated

with the condition.

>

> It really shook me to the core and scared me, about how uneducated

people are. And the possibility of people like that who are ill

informed, putting their children through surgery, really really

scared me.

>

> My youngest cousin may have to go through surgery, her eyes are

smaller than mine and she has to tilt her head. Im not judging

anyone who goes through surgery to improve their vision. At the same

time, i wonder what unaffected parents see as a vision problem? I had

to tilt my head when i was younger. People still come up to me and

ask me " Can you see? "

>

> I have the same range of vision as anyone else. Most of my family

does, except my youngest cousin, being the only one who may *need*

> surgery.

>

> The only way a parent will know if their child is having a vision

problem is to give it some time. All children with it will tilt their

head. They are short, and paired with the eyes, you get the tilt. But

my mother says that as i grew taller the habit was completely

eliminated.

>

> I can understand how that would scare parents, seeing their

children tilt their head like that. What else can be assumed, but

that there is a vision problem?

>

>

> My point is the only way a parent will know what the world looks

like through their childrens eyes is to WAIT TILL THEY CAN TELL YOU.

I understand that epiblepharon agitated the situation and i

understand that you wanted the best for her. I understand.

>

> But as a person who has blepharophimosis with no other conditions,

im very lucky that my mother didnt take me to have surgery when i was

young. Even though i tilted my head, and my eyes may seem like i have

a vision problem, i dont. And you know what? Until this group, not

one doctor has ever given me any information about this. Doctors dont

always have the answers, they are just people like me and you.

>

> Psychologically and socially, i have no idea how different my life

would be if i had been operated on at a young age.

>

> Thats where im coming from, and i didnt mean to upset anyone...it

has enriched my life to read everyones stories.

>

> I put a picture of me in the gallery if anyone wants to know what

my eyes look like. I can put up ones of me as a child as well.

>

>

>

> blepharophimosis@...: donnat65@...: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 00:38:09

+0000Subject: blepharophimosis Re: Surgery? Its sickening

>

>

>

>

> I can assure you that I did not subject my 22-month-old daughter to

to tilt her head so far back in order to see that the doctors worried

that she would have life-long problems with her neck if we waited any

longer. Plus, she had congenital epiblepharon (her bottom lashes

rolled in and rubbed against her eyes). The constant rubbing was

starting to cause scaring on her eyes. Because the surgery was

preformed by an ophthalmic plastic surgeon my insurance company

wouldn't agree to pay for it unless it was determined to

be " medically necessary " . It was. Personally, I loved my

daughter's " little eyes " . See, she was adopted at 19 months old, and

I feel in love with the pictures of those little eyes even before I

met the child. I actually made it a point to take her in and have

professional portraits done before the surgery so that we would

always be able to see the beautiful face she was born with. If the

surgery was purely cosmetic, it would never have happened. My

daughter had surgery to save her sight, not because I was embarrassed

or uncomfortable with her looks. She was, is, and always will be

absolutely beautiful.And surgery or not, my daughter still has

blepharophimosis. Surgery can help her vision, but it is never going

to change her chromosomes. Donna

>

>

>

>

>

>

> _________________________________________________________________

> Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live.

> http://www.windowslive.com/connect.html?

ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_newways_112007

>

My daugther got her surgery when she was 10mths old .. not for cosmetic reasons... she was going blind in her left eye .. her brain was shutting it down she wasnt using it she even when she tilted her head all teh way back.. ( Hey i figure do what you got to .. either for medical or cosmetic reasons .. your kid your body ... other ppl dont have to live with you right ~.

~*Dawn-Marie~

EDD: 3-14-08

blepharophimosis Re: Surgery? Its sickening> > > > > I can assure you that I did not subject my 22-month-old daughter to surgery just because I am vain. In fact, I consulted 2 pediatric ophthalmologists before I decided to go through with it. If your vision isn't affected by your condition, you are very lucky. My daughter, on the other hand, was barely able to see at all. She had to tilt her head so far back in order to see that the doctors worried that she would have

life-long problems with her neck if we waited any longer. Plus, she had congenital epiblepharon (her bottom lashes rolled in and rubbed against her eyes). The constant rubbing was starting to cause scaring on her eyes. Because the surgery was preformed by an ophthalmic plastic surgeon my insurance company wouldn't agree to pay for it unless it was determined to be "medically necessary". It was. Personally, I loved my daughter's "little eyes". See, she was adopted at 19 months old, and I feel in love with the pictures of those little eyes even before I met the child. I actually made it a point to take her in and have professional portraits done before the surgery so that we would always be able to see the beautiful face she was born with. If the surgery was purely cosmetic, it would never have happened. My daughter had surgery to save her sight, not because I was embarrassed or uncomfortable with

her looks. She was, is, and always will be absolutely beautiful.And surgery or not, my daughter still has blepharophimosis. Surgery can help her vision, but it is never going to change her chromosomes. Donna > > > > > > > ____________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _________ _> Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live.> http://www.windowsl ive.com/connect. html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_ Wave2_newways_ 112007>

Be a better pen pal. Text or chat with friends inside . See how.

Not sure what medical encyclopedia you are using, but BPES is a congenital DEFECT. My child must be very confident, and secure, because that word would never effect her "self worth"! She knows who she is, values who she is, and loves who she is. Again, that family "support system" paid off!h <kureeji@...> wrote: I understand where you are coming from. I was speaking about surgery strictly for cosmetic purposes, done by parents who may or may not know all the facts about their child's condition.

'My daughter thanks me every day for loving her enough to correct a defect that needed correction.' I would hope that your daughter never hears you refer to her condition that way. I have no words to explain how much that would hurt her definition of self-worth, if she is a young girl. > Im struggling right now to write this post with some sort of tact. I > thought this was a support group for people with "blepharophimosis" > but to me it seems like surgery is what is being supported.... > > I would never dream of having surgery. What would i tell my child, > when it was born, with eyes like me? How could i justify it, and tell > him or her that she is beautiful, except one thing, which surgery > could "fix"? How could i make him face the world alone, if i had went > through surgery to get 'normal' eyes? The child would come out with a > perception innately that something was wrong with him. Why else would > mom have changed herself, if there wasnt a

problem? > > I hear of kids going through 3 or 4 surgeries. I dont know if non > affected parents have a complete understanding of just > how...disturbing this is. > > In my family, people have had eyes like mine since before my great > grandmother. I cant imagine what it would be like for two parents > without the eyes to have a kid with the eyes. They must feel > estranged, upset, scared, i dont know. > > But out of the bottom of my heart i would urge every single parent > who ever has a child with the eyes to think about what they are > doing. > > I grew up with family, constantly telling me i was beautiful, that > there was nothing wrong with me and i had as much right to be on the > earth as anyone else. I dont know what it would be like to be alone, > never seeing a family member with eyes like

yours, and then to have > your parents show you in the direction of surgery. > > My eyes dont give me a huge vision problem, i dont even have ANY > vision problems. So for an unaffected parent to give their child > surgery at the age of 3 or 5 or something just really really upsets > me. I was taught love and acceptance of peoples differences. > > I have been mocked, ridiculed and degraded my entire life by people > who dont understand because of my eyes. But at the same time, i would > never get surgery to fix my outside appearance. It wont change my > genes. > > Fuck being normal. Seriously. The people who hold my company love and > accept me for who I am. Ive waded through the callous assholes, and > the friends i have now are true friends. A little bit of extra skin > around my eyes doesnt

change the way they feel about me. Sometimes i > thank god i was born this way. Now i know people love me for me > instead of strictly my appearance. > > This post is huge and rather unorganized...but we aren't diseased, > people. We have extra skin on our eyelids, and some of us have vision > restrictions. We have all of our limbs. We can talk, be articulate, > create things...Any time i feel bad about my eyes i just think about > people confined to wheel chairs, people who cant take care of > themselves or who have mental disabilities. > > Do people put their children through surgery saying they want to make > their children feel better about themselves??? > > I didnt even know my eyes were any different than anyone elses till i > was about 5, and even then it was a tentative understanding that i

> was different. > > I think maybe its the parents who feel uncomfortable. Maybe they want > to make themselves feel better about the way their child looks, and > not vice versa. > > Im not trying to attack anyone personally, and if you want to call me > an asshole, or hate my words, please feel free. But i will tell you > that i live this everyday. > > My cousin went to go have corrective surgery on her eyes. The only > one in our entire family out of three generations. The doctors messed > up the operation and now she has limited function of one eye. You > tell me what is better. > > Im really upset about this 'support' group. Im upset that i even > found it. I thought i would be able to share experiences with people > like me. I didnt know that i would find people like me, going

through > surgery, so they wouldnt be like me. > > > > > > > --------------------------------- > Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you with Mobile. Try it now. > > > > > --------------------------------- > Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. >

Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make your homepage.

My entire family is the way i am.

Should i not be proud, to look like my family? My eyes are my fathers, my grandmothers, my great grandmothers, my aunts, my uncles and cousins and my neices and nephews.

Life is hurt and humiliation! Your children will feel it anyway. Children will get made fun of anyway.

But why should i change MYSELF because other people find it odd? If it causes me no visual impairment (and i know that there are others like me, who retain all of their visual capacity) then why should i go through expensive, painful surgery, in an effort to look like people without eyes like mine?

Isn't that turning my back on my family? Should i feel embarassed, or that there IS a need for surgery?

The problem isnt my eyes. Its that people target those that are different than them. Changing MY eyes wont change the way our society functions.

blepharophimosis From: bethgordon03@...Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 17:38:20 +0000Subject: blepharophimosis Re: Surgery? Its sickening

I have BPES and so does my dad. When my daughter I was born I was amazed at how did I learn as a child, with such visual impairment, it still amazes me to this day. Anyone would wonder about the effects on developmentTo say that it is better to go through hurt and humiliation, but not stoop low enough to have a surgical improvement of a medical condition, makes no sense to me. If my daughter's teeth are crooked I will get her braces. If she had alopecia I would get her a wig, if she had bumps on her nose I would get her rhinoplasty, why not? Why not take advantage of modern medicine. What point are you proving? A surgery takes a few hours of your life, being teased and constantly questioned about your looks is far worse. I don't understand why any parent would choose that for their child... If you haven't noticed, there are tons of people who are"normal", having loving homes, loving parents, and still have low self esteem. You seem to think loving your kid is all it takes. It's just a start.>> > I understand where you are coming from whole heartedly. I was referring to surgery strictly for cosmetic purposes, when the child is too young to be aware of whats happening to them. > > I saw a post in another group where a mother who was unaffected had a child with it. She asked what development problems were associated with the condition.> > It really shook me to the core and scared me, about how uneducated people are. And the possibility of people like that who are ill informed, putting their children through surgery, really really scared me. > > My youngest cousin may have to go through surgery, her eyes are smaller than mine and she has to tilt her head. Im not judging anyone who goes through surgery to improve their vision. At the same time, i wonder what unaffected parents see as a vision problem? I had to tilt my head when i was younger. People still come up to me and ask me "Can you see?"> > I have the same range of vision as anyone else. Most of my family does, except my youngest cousin, being the only one who may *need*> surgery. > > The only way a parent will know if their child is having a vision problem is to give it some time. All children with it will tilt their head. They are short, and paired with the eyes, you get the tilt. But my mother says that as i grew taller the habit was completely eliminated. > > I can understand how that would scare parents, seeing their children tilt their head like that. What else can be assumed, but that there is a vision problem?> > > My point is the only way a parent will know what the world looks like through their childrens eyes is to WAIT TILL THEY CAN TELL YOU. I understand that epiblepharon agitated the situation and i understand that you wanted the best for her. I understand.> > But as a person who has blepharophimosis with no other conditions, im very lucky that my mother didnt take me to have surgery when i was young. Even though i tilted my head, and my eyes may seem like i have a vision problem, i dont. And you know what? Until this group, not one doctor has ever given me any information about this. Doctors dont always have the answers, they are just people like me and you. > > Psychologically and socially, i have no idea how different my life would be if i had been operated on at a young age.> > Thats where im coming from, and i didnt mean to upset anyone...it has enriched my life to read everyones stories.> > I put a picture of me in the gallery if anyone wants to know what my eyes look like. I can put up ones of me as a child as well.> > > > blepharophimosis@...: donnat65@...: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 00:38:09 +0000Subject: blepharophimosis Re: Surgery? Its sickening> > > > > I can assure you that I did not subject my 22-month-old daughter to surgery just because I am vain. In fact, I consulted 2 pediatric ophthalmologists before I decided to go through with it. If your vision isn't affected by your condition, you are very lucky. My daughter, on the other hand, was barely able to see at all. She had to tilt her head so far back in order to see that the doctors worried that she would have life-long problems with her neck if we waited any longer. Plus, she had congenital epiblepharon (her bottom lashes rolled in and rubbed against her eyes). The constant rubbing was starting to cause scaring on her eyes. Because the surgery was preformed by an ophthalmic plastic surgeon my insurance company wouldn't agree to pay for it unless it was determined to be "medically necessary". It was. Personally, I loved my daughter's "little eyes". See, she was adopted at 19 months old, and I feel in love with the pictures of those little eyes even before I met the child. I actually made it a point to take her in and have professional portraits done before the surgery so that we would always be able to see the beautiful face she was born with. If the surgery was purely cosmetic, it would never have happened. My daughter had surgery to save her sight, not because I was embarrassed or uncomfortable with her looks. She was, is, and always will be absolutely beautiful.And surgery or not, my daughter still has blepharophimosis. Surgery can help her vision, but it is never going to change her chromosomes. Donna > > > > > > > __________________________________________________________> Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live.> http://www.windowslive.com/connect.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_Wave2_newways_112007> Get the power of Windows + Web with the new Windows Live. Power up!

I can't believe people are still arguing about cosmetic vs. medical.

You said your eyelashes scrape your eyes and you rub them and they

water, have you visited a dr. anytime in the last 50 yrs? That could

be remedied, and could have been remedied a long time ago.

Do you really think that your problem is just cosmetic? Are you

opposed to medical interventions for some other cultural or religious

belief?

For those whose kids see fine, and their eyes are just small. Don't

you ever wonder if your kids could see BETTER if their eyes were

bigger? I have BPES and I never realized how impaired my vision is

til I watched my little girl. Other people can see in numerous

directions much better than I can. Why wouldn't I want that for my

kid? And why would I question anyone who does want that for their kid.

> >

> > Hi there h,

> >

> > Tact was never a strong suit of mine either, so here goes.

> >

> > You did yourself a disservice with this post - this email oozed

> ignorance.

> > Sit down for an afternoon and research the symptoms of bleph.

Make

> sure you

> > look at a variety of pictures posted of people with the

condition.

> You will

> > notice an important feature that many of the people (most of them

> small

> > babies) share. They cannot open their eyes. I don't mean that

> their eyes

> > were small. I'll say it again, as I get the impression clarity

is

> key here.

> > They cannot open their eyes wide enough to see properly.

> >

> > Now, aside from the obvious, there is a serious issue with having

> your

> > pupils permanently covered, and it is this. If a number of years

> pass and

> > your pupils are not exposed to light, you go blind. It is very

> important

> > that you believe me here h - that is not good. You see, I

> am as into

> > self acceptance as you are. Like you, I am 3rd generation

bleph.

> But there

> > is a catch here - the condition many of us have makes it

impossible

> to see

> > without surgical treatment. By this I don't mean that people

> titter behind

> > your back during recess. I mean that some of the kids here would

> go blind

> > without surgery.

> >

> > h - the outrage you display, actually, isn't always a bad

> thing by

> > any means. Your ignorance, unfortunately, is. Get educated about

> the

> > condition you have, so that you in turn can be of service to

those

> afflicted

> > even more severely than you are.

> >

> > All the best, Micah

> > (3rd generation bleph, and partially blind in my right eye)

> >

> >

> >

> > blepharophimosis Surgery? Its sickening

> >

> > Im struggling right now to write this post with some sort of

tact.

> I

> > thought this was a support group for people

> > but to me it seems like surgery is what is being supported....

> >

> > I would never dream of having surgery. What would i tell my

child,

> > when it was born, with eyes like me? How could i justify it, and

> tell

> > him or her that she is beautiful, except one thing, which surgery

> > could " fix " ? How could i make him face the world alone, if i had

> went

> > through surgery to get 'normal' eyes? The child would come out

with

> a

> > perception innately that something was wrong with him. Why else

> would

> > mom have changed herself, if there wasnt a problem?

> >

> > I hear of kids going through 3 or 4 surgeries. I dont know if non

> > affected parents have a complete understanding of just

> > how...disturbing this is.

> >

> > In my family, people have had eyes like mine since before my

great

> > grandmother. I cant imagine what it would be like for two parents

> > without the eyes to have a kid with the eyes. They must feel

> > estranged, upset, scared, i dont know.

> >

> > But out of the bottom of my heart i would urge every single

parent

> > who ever has a child with the eyes to think about what they are

> > doing.

> >

> > I grew up with family, constantly telling me i was beautiful,

that

> > there was nothing wrong with me and i had as much right to be on

> the

> > earth as anyone else. I dont know what it would be like to be

> alone,

> > never seeing a family member with eyes like yours, and then to

have

> > your parents show you in the direction of surgery.

> >

> > My eyes dont give me a huge vision problem, i dont even have ANY

> > vision problems. So for an unaffected parent to give their child

> > surgery at the age of 3 or 5 or something just really really

upsets

> > me. I was taught love and acceptance of peoples differences.

> >

> > I have been mocked, ridiculed and degraded my entire life by

people

> > who dont understand because of my eyes. But at the same time, i

> would

> > never get surgery to fix my outside appearance. It wont change my

> > genes.

> >

> > Fuck being normal. Seriously. The people who hold my company love

> and

> > accept me for who I am. Ive waded through the callous assholes,

and

> > the friends i have now are true friends. A little bit of extra

skin

> > around my eyes doesnt change the way they feel about me.

Sometimes

> i

> > thank god i was born this way. Now i know people love me for me

> > instead of strictly my appearance.

> >

> > This post is huge and rather unorganized...but we aren't

diseased,

> > people. We have extra skin on our eyelids, and some of us have

> vision

> > restrictions. We have all of our limbs. We can talk, be

articulate,

> > create things...Any time i feel bad about my eyes i just think

> about

> > people confined to wheel chairs, people who cant take care of

> > themselves or who have mental disabilities.

> >

> > Do people put their children through surgery saying they want to

> make

> > their children feel better about themselves???

> >

> > I didnt even know my eyes were any different than anyone elses

till

> i

> > was about 5, and even then it was a tentative understanding that

i

> > was different.

> >

> > I think maybe its the parents who feel uncomfortable. Maybe they

> want

> > to make themselves feel better about the way their child looks,

and

> > not vice versa.

> >

> > Im not trying to attack anyone personally, and if you want to

call

> me

> > an asshole, or hate my words, please feel free. But i will tell

you

> > that i live this everyday.

> >

> > My cousin went to go have corrective surgery on her eyes. The

only

> > one in our entire family out of three generations. The doctors

> messed

> > up the operation and now she has limited function of one eye. You

> > tell me what is better.

> >

> > Im really upset about this 'support' group. Im upset that i even

> > found it. I thought i would be able to share experiences with

> people

> > like me. I didnt know that i would find people like me, going

> through

> > surgery, so they wouldnt be like me.

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

You know what, I dont see myself as having a defect.

My family support system included being told that i was valued, no matter what i look like.

I guess my family has a different definition of rude, because i would never go up to my grandmother and say "Your eyes are a genetic defect."

I feel bad that in your family the word is used so freely. It just seems callous. But who am i to judge what words you use?

I dont know how old your daughter is, but i hope that she always feels that confident.

And why be sarcastic? Am i being sarcastic to you?

blepharophimosis From: dhaskins214@...Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 09:47:34 -0800Subject: Re: blepharophimosis Re: Surgery? Its sickening

Not sure what medical encyclopedia you are using, but BPES is a congenital DEFECT. My child must be very confident, and secure, because that word would never effect her "self worth"! She knows who she is, values who she is, and loves who she is. Again, that family "support system" paid off!h <kureejihotmail> wrote:

I understand where you are coming from. I was speaking about surgery strictly for cosmetic purposes, done by parents who may or may not know all the facts about their child's condition. 'My daughter thanks me every day for loving her enough to correct a defect that needed correction.'I would hope that your daughter never hears you refer to her condition that way. I have no words to explain how much that would hurt her definition of self-worth, if she is a young girl.> Im struggling right now to write this post with some sort of tact. I > thought this was a support group for people with "blepharophimosis" > but to me it seems like surgery is what is being supported.... > > I would never dream of having surgery. What would i tell my child, > when it was born, with eyes like me? How could i justify it, and tell > him or her that she is beautiful, except one thing, which surgery > could "fix"? How could i make him face the world alone, if i had went > through surgery to get 'normal' eyes? The child would come out with a > perception innately that something was wrong with him. Why else would > mom have changed herself, if there wasnt a problem? > > I hear of kids going through 3 or 4 surgeries. I dont know if non > affected parents have a complete understanding of just > how...disturbing this is. > > In my family, people have had eyes like mine since before my great > grandmother. I cant imagine what it would be like for two parents > without the eyes to have a kid with the eyes. They must feel > estranged, upset, scared, i dont know. > > But out of the bottom of my heart i would urge every single parent > who ever has a child with the eyes to think about what they are > doing. > > I grew up with family, constantly telling me i was beautiful, that > there was nothing wrong with me and i had as much right to be on the > earth as anyone else. I dont know what it would be like to be alone, > never seeing a family member with eyes like yours, and then to have > your parents show you in the direction of surgery. > > My eyes dont give me a huge vision problem, i dont even have ANY > vision problems. So for an unaffected parent to give their child > surgery at the age of 3 or 5 or something just really really upsets > me. I was taught love and acceptance of peoples differences. > > I have been mocked, ridiculed and degraded my entire life by people > who dont understand because of my eyes. But at the same time, i would > never get surgery to fix my outside appearance. It wont change my > genes. > > Fuck being normal. Seriously. The people who hold my company love and > accept me for who I am. Ive waded through the callous assholes, and > the friends i have now are true friends. A little bit of extra skin > around my eyes doesnt change the way they feel about me. Sometimes i > thank god i was born this way. Now i know people love me for me > instead of strictly my appearance. > > This post is huge and rather unorganized...but we aren't diseased, > people. We have extra skin on our eyelids, and some of us have vision > restrictions. We have all of our limbs. We can talk, be articulate, > create things...Any time i feel bad about my eyes i just think about > people confined to wheel chairs, people who cant take care of > themselves or who have mental disabilities. > > Do people put their children through surgery saying they want to make > their children feel better about themselves??? > > I didnt even know my eyes were any different than anyone elses till i > was about 5, and even then it was a tentative understanding that i > was different. > > I think maybe its the parents who feel uncomfortable. Maybe they want > to make themselves feel better about the way their child looks, and > not vice versa. > > Im not trying to attack anyone personally, and if you want to call me > an asshole, or hate my words, please feel free. But i will tell you > that i live this everyday. > > My cousin went to go have corrective surgery on her eyes. The only > one in our entire family out of three generations. The doctors messed > up the operation and now she has limited function of one eye. You > tell me what is better. > > Im really upset about this 'support' group. Im upset that i even > found it. I thought i would be able to share experiences with people > like me. I didnt know that i would find people like me, going through > surgery, so they wouldnt be like me. > > > > > > > ---------------------------------> Be a better sports nut! Let your teams follow you with Mobile. Try it now.> > > > > ---------------------------------> Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.>

Get easy, one-click access to your favorites. Make your homepage. Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Connect now!

Hi,

I don't often post on this site these days, but I feel the need to add my comments. I didn't have surgery until I was 19 years old. When I was a child, I was a shy, anxious girl who suffered as many of us have, terrible bullying etc . As a teenager, I had loads of friends and did well at school, I was cheeky, naughty and popular at school,I think this was to make up for the way i looked, but I never had a boyfriend like my friends, and I never felt attractive, i always felt 'different' to the other girls. As a young woman, I became really aware of my appearance and felt very self conscious when i went out etc. I used to get really angry at the world for treating me the way it did because my eye's were different. I never felt 'normal' and always felt different from everyone else.

After surgery my life changed significantly, I was confident, felt more attractive and managed to achieve the things I never thought I would as a young woman, such as a successful career and a wonderful husband

, you sound very angry, I came from a very supportive family, my sister and my dad have BPES. I had, and still have fantastic friends, regardless of my BPES. When I was a baby surgery wasn't an option because it wasn't that advanced then. I hope your comments haven't made any parents feel guilty about their children's surgery. I would like to say to those parents, that my only regret about my surgery is not having it sooner! I didn't tilt my head, I could see fine, the only reason I had surgery was 100% cosmetic, and I'm not ashamed of that. Call me shallow if you like, but I'm so happy with my life it really wouldn't bare any impact.

blepharophimosis Surgery? Its

sickening> > > > Im struggling right now to write this post with some sort of tact. > I > > thought this was a support group for people with "blepharophimosis" > > but to me it seems like surgery is what is being supported... . > > > > I would never dream of having surgery. What would i tell my child, > > when it was born, with eyes like me? How could i justify it, and > tell > > him or her that she is beautiful, except one thing, which surgery > > could "fix"? How could i make him face the world alone, if i had > went > > through surgery to get 'normal' eyes? The child would come out with > a > > perception innately that something was wrong with him. Why else > would > > mom have changed herself, if there wasnt a problem? > > > > I hear of kids going through 3 or 4

surgeries. I dont know if non > > affected parents have a complete understanding of just > > how...disturbing this is. > > > > In my family, people have had eyes like mine since before my great > > grandmother. I cant imagine what it would be like for two parents > > without the eyes to have a kid with the eyes. They must feel > > estranged, upset, scared, i dont know. > > > > But out of the bottom of my heart i would urge every single parent > > who ever has a child with the eyes to think about what they are > > doing. > > > > I grew up with family, constantly telling me i was beautiful, that > > there was nothing wrong with me and i had as much right to be on > the > > earth as anyone else. I dont know what it would be like to be > alone, > > never seeing a family

member with eyes like yours, and then to have > > your parents show you in the direction of surgery. > > > > My eyes dont give me a huge vision problem, i dont even have ANY > > vision problems. So for an unaffected parent to give their child > > surgery at the age of 3 or 5 or something just really really upsets > > me. I was taught love and acceptance of peoples differences. > > > > I have been mocked, ridiculed and degraded my entire life by people > > who dont understand because of my eyes. But at the same time, i > would > > never get surgery to fix my outside appearance. It wont change my > > genes. > > > > Fuck being normal. Seriously. The people who hold my company love > and > > accept me for who I am. Ive waded through the callous assholes, and > > the friends i have

now are true friends. A little bit of extra skin > > around my eyes doesnt change the way they feel about me. Sometimes > i > > thank god i was born this way. Now i know people love me for me > > instead of strictly my appearance. > > > > This post is huge and rather unorganized. ..but we aren't diseased, > > people. We have extra skin on our eyelids, and some of us have > vision > > restrictions. We have all of our limbs. We can talk, be articulate, > > create things...Any time i feel bad about my eyes i just think > about > > people confined to wheel chairs, people who cant take care of > > themselves or who have mental disabilities. > > > > Do people put their children through surgery saying they want to > make > > their children feel better about themselves?? ? > >

> > I didnt even know my eyes were any different than anyone elses till > i > > was about 5, and even then it was a tentative understanding that i > > was different. > > > > I think maybe its the parents who feel uncomfortable. Maybe they > want > > to make themselves feel better about the way their child looks, and > > not vice versa. > > > > Im not trying to attack anyone personally, and if you want to call > me > > an asshole, or hate my words, please feel free. But i will tell you > > that i live this everyday. > > > > My cousin went to go have corrective surgery on her eyes. The only > > one in our entire family out of three generations. The doctors > messed > > up the operation and now she has limited function of one eye. You > > tell me

what is better. > > > > Im really upset about this 'support' group. Im upset that i even > > found it. I thought i would be able to share experiences with > people > > like me. I didnt know that i would find people like me, going > through > > surgery, so they wouldnt be like me. > > > > > > > > > >

and now I'll let it go! My email was already posted before the request to 'let it go' went out :-) Sorry guys!

blepharophimosis Surgery? Its

sickening> > > > Im struggling right now to write this post with some sort of tact. > I > > thought this was a support group for people with "blepharophimosis" > > but to me it seems like surgery is what is being supported... . > > > > I would never dream of having surgery. What would i tell my child, > > when it was born, with eyes like me? How could i justify it, and > tell > > him or her that she is beautiful, except one thing, which surgery > > could "fix"? How could i make him face the world alone, if i had > went > > through surgery to get 'normal' eyes? The child would come out with > a > > perception innately that something was wrong with him. Why else > would > > mom have changed herself, if there wasnt a problem? > > > > I hear of kids going through 3 or 4

surgeries. I dont know if non > > affected parents have a complete understanding of just > > how...disturbing this is. > > > > In my family, people have had eyes like mine since before my great > > grandmother. I cant imagine what it would be like for two parents > > without the eyes to have a kid with the eyes. They must feel > > estranged, upset, scared, i dont know. > > > > But out of the bottom of my heart i would urge every single parent > > who ever has a child with the eyes to think about what they are > > doing. > > > > I grew up with family, constantly telling me i was beautiful, that > > there was nothing wrong with me and i had as much right to be on > the > > earth as anyone else. I dont know what it would be like to be > alone, > > never seeing a family

member with eyes like yours, and then to have > > your parents show you in the direction of surgery. > > > > My eyes dont give me a huge vision problem, i dont even have ANY > > vision problems. So for an unaffected parent to give their child > > surgery at the age of 3 or 5 or something just really really upsets > > me. I was taught love and acceptance of peoples differences. > > > > I have been mocked, ridiculed and degraded my entire life by people > > who dont understand because of my eyes. But at the same time, i > would > > never get surgery to fix my outside appearance. It wont change my > > genes. > > > > Fuck being normal. Seriously. The people who hold my company love > and > > accept me for who I am. Ive waded through the callous assholes, and > > the friends i have

now are true friends. A little bit of extra skin > > around my eyes doesnt change the way they feel about me. Sometimes > i > > thank god i was born this way. Now i know people love me for me > > instead of strictly my appearance. > > > > This post is huge and rather unorganized. ..but we aren't diseased, > > people. We have extra skin on our eyelids, and some of us have > vision > > restrictions. We have all of our limbs. We can talk, be articulate, > > create things...Any time i feel bad about my eyes i just think > about > > people confined to wheel chairs, people who cant take care of > > themselves or who have mental disabilities. > > > > Do people put their children through surgery saying they want to > make > > their children feel better about themselves?? ? > >

> > I didnt even know my eyes were any different than anyone elses till > i > > was about 5, and even then it was a tentative understanding that i > > was different. > > > > I think maybe its the parents who feel uncomfortable. Maybe they > want > > to make themselves feel better about the way their child looks, and > > not vice versa. > > > > Im not trying to attack anyone personally, and if you want to call > me > > an asshole, or hate my words, please feel free. But i will tell you > > that i live this everyday. > > > > My cousin went to go have corrective surgery on her eyes. The only > > one in our entire family out of three generations. The doctors > messed > > up the operation and now she has limited function of one eye. You > > tell me

what is better. > > > > Im really upset about this 'support' group. Im upset that i even > > found it. I thought i would be able to share experiences with > people > > like me. I didnt know that i would find people like me, going > through > > surgery, so they wouldnt be like me. > > > > > > > > > >

Hi all,

As a pediatrician (and someone with BPES and L eye blindness), I

would like the group to know the following:

To not obtain vision-saving surgery for your child (regardless of

cosmetic issues - we could debate that all day) could be considered

medical neglect. If a parent of a significantly affected child in

my practice did not want to pursue surgery for their child, I would

get the hospital ethics consultation service involved and/or call

child protective services. I don't want to seem harsh, but

blindness is a significant disability and the timing for the vision

loss is far too important to wait and let the child 'choose.'

Of course, if in consultation with your physician they can reassure

you that the affected child is not in danger of significant vision

loss, then that could be a different story. I can see your point

about 'daring to be different' and the empowerment that comes with

having pride in who you are. I think everyone on this list, even if

they have had surgery, can attest to that.

I would just strongly caution you about the vision loss.

CBJ

p.s. From now on, I will end every single post that I make to this

list with ...**GET YOUR DAUGHTER TESTED FOR INFERTILITY IN HER

20s** If there is one thing I wish I had known about BPES it was

the importance of getting tested for infertility younger.

wrote:

>

I

> thought this was a support group for people

>

tell

went

> through surgery to get 'normal' eyes? The child would come out

with a

would

>

>

>

> doing.

>

the

alone,

> never seeing a family member with eyes like yours, and then to

have

>

> surgery at the age of 3 or 5 or something just really really

upsets

>

> I have been mocked, ridiculed and degraded my entire life by

people

would

> genes.

>

and

> accept me for who I am. Ive waded through the callous assholes,

and

> the friends i have now are true friends. A little bit of extra

skin

i

>

vision

> restrictions. We have all of our limbs. We can talk, be

articulate,

about

>

make

>

> I didnt even know my eyes were any different than anyone elses

till i

> was different.

>

want

> to make themselves feel better about the way their child looks,

and

> not vice versa.

>

me

> an asshole, or hate my words, please feel free. But i will tell

you

>

messed

>

people

through

>

Thank you for being so fair and hearing me out in your post.

Thats all i was ever trying to say, basically that if your BPES

doesnt cause you vision impairment that you shouldnt be ashamed of

the way you look, that maybe surgery isnt the answer.

I appreciate hearing it from a pediatrician in regards to the

children's aspect as well. I would never deny my child a significant

medical treatment such as one to prevent blindness.

Thanks!

h

> >

> > Im struggling right now to write this post with some sort of

tact.

> I

> > thought this was a support group for people

> with " blepharophimosis "

> > but to me it seems like surgery is what is being supported....

> >

> > I would never dream of having surgery. What would i tell my

child,

> > when it was born, with eyes like me? How could i justify it, and

> tell

> > him or her that she is beautiful, except one thing, which surgery

> > could " fix " ? How could i make him face the world alone, if i had

> went

> > through surgery to get 'normal' eyes? The child would come out

> with a

> > perception innately that something was wrong with him. Why else

> would

> > mom have changed herself, if there wasnt a problem?

> >

> > I hear of kids going through 3 or 4 surgeries. I dont know if non

> > affected parents have a complete understanding of just

> > how...disturbing this is.

> >

> > In my family, people have had eyes like mine since before my

great

> > grandmother. I cant imagine what it would be like for two parents

> > without the eyes to have a kid with the eyes. They must feel

> > estranged, upset, scared, i dont know.

> >

> > But out of the bottom of my heart i would urge every single

parent

> > who ever has a child with the eyes to think about what they are

> > doing.

> >

> > I grew up with family, constantly telling me i was beautiful,

that

> > there was nothing wrong with me and i had as much right to be on

> the

> > earth as anyone else. I dont know what it would be like to be

> alone,

> > never seeing a family member with eyes like yours, and then to

> have

> > your parents show you in the direction of surgery.

> >

> > My eyes dont give me a huge vision problem, i dont even have ANY

> > vision problems. So for an unaffected parent to give their child

> > surgery at the age of 3 or 5 or something just really really

> upsets

> > me. I was taught love and acceptance of peoples differences.

> >

> > I have been mocked, ridiculed and degraded my entire life by

> people

> > who dont understand because of my eyes. But at the same time, i

> would

> > never get surgery to fix my outside appearance. It wont change my

> > genes.

> >

> > Fuck being normal. Seriously. The people who hold my company love

> and

> > accept me for who I am. Ive waded through the callous assholes,

> and

> > the friends i have now are true friends. A little bit of extra

> skin

> > around my eyes doesnt change the way they feel about me.

Sometimes

> i

> > thank god i was born this way. Now i know people love me for me

> > instead of strictly my appearance.

> >

> > This post is huge and rather unorganized...but we aren't

diseased,

> > people. We have extra skin on our eyelids, and some of us have

> vision

> > restrictions. We have all of our limbs. We can talk, be

> articulate,

> > create things...Any time i feel bad about my eyes i just think

> about

> > people confined to wheel chairs, people who cant take care of

> > themselves or who have mental disabilities.

> >

> > Do people put their children through surgery saying they want to

> make

> > their children feel better about themselves???

> >

> > I didnt even know my eyes were any different than anyone elses

> till i

> > was about 5, and even then it was a tentative understanding that

i

> > was different.

> >

> > I think maybe its the parents who feel uncomfortable. Maybe they

> want

> > to make themselves feel better about the way their child looks,

> and

> > not vice versa.

> >

> > Im not trying to attack anyone personally, and if you want to

call

> me

> > an asshole, or hate my words, please feel free. But i will tell

> you

> > that i live this everyday.

> >

> > My cousin went to go have corrective surgery on her eyes. The

only

> > one in our entire family out of three generations. The doctors

> messed

> > up the operation and now she has limited function of one eye. You

> > tell me what is better.

> >

> > Im really upset about this 'support' group. Im upset that i even

> > found it. I thought i would be able to share experiences with

> people

> > like me. I didnt know that i would find people like me, going

> through

> > surgery, so they wouldnt be like me.

> >

>