RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: I am so Proud

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi Patsy,

I just had a chance to look at your pictures...your daughter and grand-daughters are gorgeous....you have every right to be proud.

Ontario, Canada

blepharophimosis Re: I am so Proud

>So glad to hear of the success your son is having. I am the parent of two children and two grandchildren with BLEP, (inherited from father). My son overdosed on heroin at the age of 24, however my daughter grew up, graduated university and is studying for her master's degree in education. She is teaching 1st grade as well. I worked hard to give her a positive self image, as she does her children, 2 girls. The oldest just won a school election as vice president of student council and has a very active social life (she is a fourth grader). The youngest is only 5 and just started school. I am also so proud. These kinds of stories are few and far between in the world of BLEP but our children

are just as capable and beautiful as any other, and we love them don't we!!!!> Hi Everyone,> I have not written here for awhile but thought I would share some > happy news on here about how extremely proud I am of my son who has > BPES and how brave he is and what an outgoing personality he has. So > often in this group we hear about the problems associated with BPES > that I wanted to share that we do not always (I also have BPES) let > it get the better of us.> I was born in Finland but moved to Canada as a child, so my son Tyler > who is now 18 was born in Canada and has lived here his whole life. > I have always travelled back to Finland to see family there and also > worked there for a while in my late teens. My Finnish heritage means > a great deal to me. Anyway, ever since Tyler was old enough to > understand I have

talked to him about him going in the Finnish army > when he was old enough. The army is mandatory in Finland but it is > only six months. Tyler, obviously would not have to go since we live > in Canada but by him going he gets to retain dual citizenship. If he > gets the travel bug like I did when I was young, he will be able to > work anywhere in Europe by having his citizenship. > Tyler graduated high school in June and left, right after, for > Finland to start the army July 9. It has been a wonderful > experience. Not only are there guys from Finland but guys, of > Finnish descent, from every corner of the world. He has made good > friends from Australia, South Africa, Israel, China, all over North > America, etc. Where else would a boy his age get such a wonderful > opportunity to meet such a wide variety of people?> Tyler plays guitar

(which he took with him) and trys to sing, but he > was blessed with my horrible voice, and he has a very outgoing > personality. He originally had 12 boys in his room. He had them all > singing and laughing and having a great time. The other rooms > thought they were crazy. LOL> Well, it is now late October, and the boys have been dropping out (I > guess home sick, medical reasons, etc) like flies. Tyler has hung in > there with no complaints and seems to be really enjoying himself. I > could not be prouder....he makes his Mama walk a little taller.> I posted a picture, which I just received in the mail from the army, > in the & Tyler folder.> Anyway, sorry to bore you with such a long winded email but I > couldn't help but share in my joy.> ,> Ontario,

Canada>__________________________________________________

Hi Patsy The photos are lovely, thank you for sharing. Does Hailey and Shelby have BPES too? I understand it is a 50% chance of passing it down, but we are not even sure if our daughter can conceive, we need to wait until she is a lot older, she is only 2!!! Our daughter Holly has BPES in both eyes. I must admit I have never seen it in one eye but then saying that I had never heard of BPES until Holly was born!! Regards Lucy Chidgey (Hampshire, UK)patsy_kaye <patsy_kaye@...> wrote: > > > Hi Everyone,> > I have not written here for awhile but thought I> > would share some > > happy news on here about how extremely proud I am of> > my son who has > > BPES and how brave he is and what

an outgoing> > personality he has. So > > often in this group we hear about the problems> > associated with BPES > > that I wanted to share that we do not always (I also> > have BPES) let > > it get the better of us.> > I was born in Finland but moved to Canada as a> > child, so my son Tyler > > who is now 18 was born in Canada and has lived here> > his whole life. > > I have always travelled back to Finland to see> > family there and also > > worked there for a while in my late teens. My> > Finnish heritage means > > a great deal to me. Anyway, ever since Tyler was> > old enough to > > understand I have talked to him about him going in> > the Finnish army > > when he was old enough. The army is mandatory in> > Finland but it is > > only six months. Tyler, obviously

would not have to> > go since we live > > in Canada but by him going he gets to retain dual> > citizenship. If he > > gets the travel bug like I did when I was young, he> > will be able to > > work anywhere in Europe by having his citizenship. > > Tyler graduated high school in June and left, right> > after, for > > Finland to start the army July 9. It has been a> > wonderful > > experience. Not only are there guys from Finland> > but guys, of > > Finnish descent, from every corner of the world. He> > has made good > > friends from Australia, South Africa, Israel, China,> > all over North > > America, etc. Where else would a boy his age get> > such a wonderful > > opportunity to meet such a wide variety of people?> > Tyler plays guitar (which he took with him) and trys>

> to sing, but he > > was blessed with my horrible voice, and he has a> > very outgoing > > personality. He originally had 12 boys in his room.> > He had them all > > singing and laughing and having a great time. The> > other rooms > > thought they were crazy. LOL> > Well, it is now late October, and the boys have been> > dropping out (I > > guess home sick, medical reasons, etc) like flies. > > Tyler has hung in > > there with no complaints and seems to be really> > enjoying himself. I > > could not be prouder....he makes his Mama walk a> > little taller.> > I posted a picture, which I just received in the> > mail from the army, > > in the & Tyler folder.> > Anyway, sorry to bore you with such a long winded> > email but I > > couldn't help but share in

my joy.> > ,> > Ontario, Canada> > > > > > > __________________________________________________>

Hi Lucy, Thank you for your reply. Yes, Hailey and Shelby have Bpes. They have not had surgery because it would only be cosmetic as they have no severe vision problems. We are very used to all the stares and questions as my x-husband had 5 brothers and sisters with Blep, and none of them had surgery. I think it helps for them both to share the trait with their mother who has developed a very positive self image and is patient with the curriosity of strangers. They have been taught to hold thier heads straight and use thier forehead muscles to lift the lids instead of tilting the head backwards. Also they are learning to deal with the stares and questions with grace and poise. It is not an easy world for them, but they have the right attitude and do not let it get them down. The infertility form of Beps does not seem to run in our family, as all the girls have had children. We

will wait and see. One thought I carry with me from childhood and passed on is this: My Grandmother always said "If you act nice, you look nice, If you don't act nice, you don't look nice." Holly can shine and be beautiful if she is beautiful on the inside, no matter what. Take care and teach Holly that she is a capable individual deserving of love, and be patient with the silly questions strangers ask. She will learn from you. Sincerely, Patsy Lucy Chidgey <lcgosport@...> wrote: Hi Patsy The photos are lovely, thank you for sharing. Does Hailey and Shelby have BPES too? I understand it is a 50% chance of passing it down, but we are not even sure if our daughter can conceive, we need to wait until she is a lot older, she is only 2!!! Our daughter Holly has BPES in both eyes. I must admit I have never seen it in one eye but then saying that I had never heard of BPES until Holly was born!! Regards Lucy Chidgey (Hampshire, UK)patsy_kaye <patsy_kaye > wrote: > > > Hi Everyone,> > I have not written here for awhile but thought I> > would share some > > happy news on here about how extremely proud I am of> > my son who has > > BPES and how brave he is and what an outgoing> > personality he has. So > > often in this group we hear about the problems> > associated with BPES > > that I wanted to share that we do not always (I

also> > have BPES) let > > it get the better of us.> > I was born in Finland but moved to Canada as a> > child, so my son Tyler > > who is now 18 was born in Canada and has lived here> > his whole life. > > I have always travelled back to Finland to see> > family there and also > > worked there for a while in my late teens. My> > Finnish heritage means > > a great deal to me. Anyway, ever since Tyler was> > old enough to > > understand I have talked to him about him going in> > the Finnish army > > when he was old enough. The army is mandatory in> > Finland but it is > > only six months. Tyler, obviously would not have to> > go since we live > > in Canada but by him going he gets to retain dual> > citizenship. If he > > gets the travel bug like I did when I was

young, he> > will be able to > > work anywhere in Europe by having his citizenship. > > Tyler graduated high school in June and left, right> > after, for > > Finland to start the army July 9. It has been a> > wonderful > > experience. Not only are there guys from Finland> > but guys, of > > Finnish descent, from every corner of the world. He> > has made good > > friends from Australia, South Africa, Israel, China,> > all over North > > America, etc. Where else would a boy his age get> > such a wonderful > > opportunity to meet such a wide variety of people?> > Tyler plays guitar (which he took with him) and trys> > to sing, but he > > was blessed with my horrible voice, and he has a> > very outgoing > > personality. He originally had 12 boys in his room.> > He had

them all > > singing and laughing and having a great time. The> > other rooms > > thought they were crazy. LOL> > Well, it is now late October, and the boys have been> > dropping out (I > > guess home sick, medical reasons, etc) like flies. > > Tyler has hung in > > there with no complaints and seems to be really> > enjoying himself. I > > could not be prouder....he makes his Mama walk a> > little taller.> > I posted a picture, which I just received in the> > mail from the army, > > in the & Tyler folder.> > Anyway, sorry to bore you with such a long winded> > email but I > > couldn't help but share in my joy.> > ,> > Ontario, Canada> > > > > > > __________________________________________________> Do

You ?> Tired of spam? has the best spam protection around > http://mail.> For ideas on reducing your carbon footprint visit For Good this month. __________________________________________________

Hi Patsy Thank you so much for your message. You are so right! I have learnt from other comments, including yours, that I must be positive all of the time especially when people ask me questions about her eyes because she is now aware of what I am saying. I really don't want her to feel she is not 'normal', what is normal anyway, but when people ask I do explain she has BPES but maybe I should just say 'she has small but perfectly beautiful eyes'. Which is true! Holly had a lid lift because it was affecting her vision and it did make such a difference to her little life, she was like a different girl. Your story is so lovely and your family sound so grounded and wonderful, good for you all for being like that. I will always remember your ourlook on life, thank you. Take care Love Lucy (Gosport, UK) Patsy Kaye <patsy_kaye@...> wrote: Hi Lucy, Thank you for your reply. Yes, Hailey and Shelby have Bpes. They have not had surgery because it would only be cosmetic as they have no severe vision problems. We are very used to all the stares and questions as my x-husband had 5 brothers and sisters with Blep, and none of them had surgery. I think it helps for them both to share the trait with their mother who has developed a very positive self

image and is patient with the curriosity of strangers. They have been taught to hold thier heads straight and use thier forehead muscles to lift the lids instead of tilting the head backwards. Also they are learning to deal with the stares and questions with grace and poise. It is not an easy world for them, but they have the right attitude and do not let it get them down. The infertility form of Beps does not seem to run in our family, as all the girls have had children. We will wait and see. One thought I carry with me from childhood and passed on is this: My Grandmother always said "If you act nice, you look nice, If you don't act nice, you don't look nice." Holly can shine and be beautiful if she is beautiful on the inside, no matter what. Take care and teach Holly that she is a capable individual deserving of love, and be patient with the silly questions

strangers ask. She will learn from you. Sincerely, Patsy Lucy Chidgey <lcgosport (DOT) co.uk> wrote: Hi Patsy The photos are lovely, thank you for sharing. Does Hailey and Shelby have BPES too? I understand it is a 50% chance of passing it down, but we are not even sure if our daughter can conceive, we need to wait until she is a lot older, she is only 2!!! Our daughter Holly has BPES in both eyes. I must admit I have never seen it in one eye but then saying that I had never heard of BPES until Holly was born!! Regards Lucy Chidgey (Hampshire, UK)patsy_kaye <patsy_kaye > wrote: > > > Hi Everyone,> > I have not written here for awhile but thought I> > would share some > > happy news on here about how extremely proud I am of> > my son who has > > BPES and how brave he is and what an

outgoing> > personality he has. So > > often in this group we hear about the problems> > associated with BPES > > that I wanted to share that we do not always (I also> > have BPES) let > > it get the better of us.> > I was born in Finland but moved to Canada as a> > child, so my son Tyler > > who is now 18 was born in Canada and has lived here> > his whole life. > > I have always travelled back to Finland to see> > family there and also > > worked there for a while in my late teens. My> > Finnish heritage means > > a great deal to me. Anyway, ever since Tyler was> > old enough to > > understand I have talked to him about him going in> > the Finnish army > > when he was old enough. The army is mandatory in> > Finland but it is > > only six months. Tyler, obviously

would not have to> > go since we live > > in Canada but by him going he gets to retain dual> > citizenship. If he > > gets the travel bug like I did when I was young, he> > will be able to > > work anywhere in Europe by having his citizenship. > > Tyler graduated high school in June and left, right> > after, for > > Finland to start the army July 9. It has been a> > wonderful > > experience. Not only are there guys from Finland> > but guys, of > > Finnish descent, from every corner of the world. He> > has made good > > friends from Australia, South Africa, Israel, China,> > all over North > > America, etc. Where else would a boy his age get> > such a wonderful > > opportunity to meet such a wide variety of people?> > Tyler plays guitar (which he took with him) and trys>

> to sing, but he > > was blessed with my horrible voice, and he has a> > very outgoing > > personality. He originally had 12 boys in his room.> > He had them all > > singing and laughing and having a great time. The> > other rooms > > thought they were crazy. LOL> > Well, it is now late October, and the boys have been> > dropping out (I > > guess home sick, medical reasons, etc) like flies. > > Tyler has hung in > > there with no complaints and seems to be really> > enjoying himself. I > > could not be prouder....he makes his Mama walk a> > little taller.> > I posted a picture, which I just received in the> > mail from the army, > > in the & Tyler folder.> > Anyway, sorry to bore you with such a long winded> > email but I > > couldn't help but share in

my joy.> > ,> > Ontario, Canada> > > > > > > __________________________________________________>

'Atta girl Lucy, We say the same thing, that they have inherited beautiful little eyes. My daughter does not like me to say Beps because it inferrs that she is defective in some way, which is not the case. It is up to us to create a world where acceptance is the norm. Your children and all of ours can make it happen. It is up to us. Siccerely, PatsyLucy Chidgey <lcgosport@...> wrote: Hi Patsy Thank you so much

for your message. You are so right! I have learnt from other comments, including yours, that I must be positive all of the time especially when people ask me questions about her eyes because she is now aware of what I am saying. I really don't want her to feel she is not 'normal', what is normal anyway, but when people ask I do explain she has BPES but maybe I should just say 'she has small but perfectly beautiful eyes'. Which is true! Holly had a lid lift because it was affecting her vision and it did make such a difference to her little life, she was like a different girl. Your story is so lovely and your family sound so grounded and wonderful, good for you all for being like that. I will always remember your ourlook on life, thank you. Take care Love Lucy (Gosport, UK) Patsy Kaye

<patsy_kaye > wrote: Hi Lucy, Thank you for your reply. Yes, Hailey and Shelby have Bpes. They have not had surgery because it would only be cosmetic as they have no severe vision problems. We are very used to all the stares and questions as my x-husband had 5 brothers and sisters with Blep, and none of them had surgery. I think it helps for them both to share the trait with their mother who has developed a very positive self image and is patient with the curriosity of strangers. They have been taught to hold thier heads straight and use thier forehead muscles to lift the lids instead of tilting the head backwards. Also they are learning to deal with the stares and questions with grace and poise. It is not an easy world for them, but they have the right attitude and

do not let it get them down. The infertility form of Beps does not seem to run in our family, as all the girls have had children. We will wait and see. One thought I carry with me from childhood and passed on is this: My Grandmother always said "If you act nice, you look nice, If you don't act nice, you don't look nice." Holly can shine and be beautiful if she is beautiful on the inside, no matter what. Take care and teach Holly that she is a capable individual deserving of love, and be patient with the silly questions strangers ask. She will learn from you. Sincerely, Patsy Lucy Chidgey <lcgosport (DOT) co.uk> wrote: Hi Patsy The photos are lovely, thank you

for sharing. Does Hailey and Shelby have BPES too? I understand it is a 50% chance of passing it down, but we are not even sure if our daughter can conceive, we need to wait until she is a lot older, she is only 2!!! Our daughter Holly has BPES in both eyes. I must admit I have never seen it in one eye but then saying that I had never heard of BPES until Holly was born!! Regards Lucy Chidgey (Hampshire, UK)patsy_kaye <patsy_kaye > wrote: > > > Hi Everyone,> > I have not written here for awhile but thought I> > would share some > > happy news on here about how extremely proud I am of> > my son who has > > BPES and how brave he is and what an outgoing> > personality he has. So > > often in this group we hear about the problems> > associated with BPES > > that I wanted to share that we do not always (I also> > have BPES) let > > it get the better of us.> > I was born in Finland but moved to Canada as a> > child, so my son Tyler

> > who is now 18 was born in Canada and has lived here> > his whole life. > > I have always travelled back to Finland to see> > family there and also > > worked there for a while in my late teens. My> > Finnish heritage means > > a great deal to me. Anyway, ever since Tyler was> > old enough to > > understand I have talked to him about him going in> > the Finnish army > > when he was old enough. The army is mandatory in> > Finland but it is > > only six months. Tyler, obviously would not have to> > go since we live > > in Canada but by him going he gets to retain dual> > citizenship. If he > > gets the travel bug like I did when I was young, he> > will be able to > > work anywhere in Europe by having his citizenship. > > Tyler graduated high school in June and left,

right> > after, for > > Finland to start the army July 9. It has been a> > wonderful > > experience. Not only are there guys from Finland> > but guys, of > > Finnish descent, from every corner of the world. He> > has made good > > friends from Australia, South Africa, Israel, China,> > all over North > > America, etc. Where else would a boy his age get> > such a wonderful > > opportunity to meet such a wide variety of people?> > Tyler plays guitar (which he took with him) and trys> > to sing, but he > > was blessed with my horrible voice, and he has a> > very outgoing > > personality. He originally had 12 boys in his room.> > He had them all > > singing and laughing and having a great time. The> > other rooms > > thought they were crazy. LOL> > Well, it is

now late October, and the boys have been> > dropping out (I > > guess home sick, medical reasons, etc) like flies. > > Tyler has hung in > > there with no complaints and seems to be really> > enjoying himself. I > > could not be prouder....he makes his Mama walk a> > little taller.> > I posted a picture, which I just received in the> > mail from the army, > > in the & Tyler folder.> > Anyway, sorry to bore you with such a long winded> > email but I > > couldn't help but share in my joy.> > ,> > Ontario, Canada> > > > > > > __________________________________________________>

• 2 weeks later...

Hi h, Wow! I was afraid to read your first message re:sickning... I have had a few mimbers of this group condemn our family for not having srugery and forcing our children to live with Beps. Personally, I am willing to take the hits as I know that in the long it is the children we are raising that matter. Then when I read your message I heard you express the outcry I felt when reproached. There are distant members of our family who believe surgery is the answer. I am almost 60 years old now and have seen adults who have gone in for surgery as well as their children, and I can tell you that surgery or not, you still must deal with the stares, questions and, yes, at times ridiculle. But no matter what, the issue still stands... Are we going to ever accept ourselves as we are, or do we spend a life time waging war with ourselves and others? I opt to keep it positive, for the sake of us all. If surgery is needed

due to vision issues then that may be what is best for the children, but, as you state, it is the person inside that is truly loved. And I love my children and all of yours. Thank you for your reply, and courage. Patsy PS I stay attached to this group because every once and a while I have the opportunity to give hope and ease dispair. h <kureeji@...> wrote: PATSY,THANK GOD there is one person out there who has their head screwed on straight.

Everything that you just said is the epitamy of what i want the world and everyone with BEPS to know. "It is up to us to create a world where acceptance is the norm. Your children and all of ours can make it happen. It is up to us."Surgery isnt always the answer!Thank you,hI really value your perspective> > > > > Hi Everyone,> > > I have not

written here for awhile but thought I> > > would share some > > > happy news on here about how extremely proud I am of> > > my son who has > > > BPES and how brave he is and what an outgoing> > > personality he has. So > > > often in this group we hear about the problems> > > associated with BPES > > > that I wanted to share that we do not always (I also> > > have BPES) let > > > it get the better of us.> > > I was born in Finland but moved to Canada as a> > > child, so my son Tyler > > > who is now 18 was born in Canada and has lived here> > > his whole life. > > > I have always travelled back to Finland to see> > > family there and also > > > worked there for a while in my late teens. My> > > Finnish heritage means > > > a great

deal to me. Anyway, ever since Tyler was> > > old enough to > > > understand I have talked to him about him going in> > > the Finnish army > > > when he was old enough. The army is mandatory in> > > Finland but it is > > > only six months. Tyler, obviously would not have to> > > go since we live > > > in Canada but by him going he gets to retain dual> > > citizenship. If he > > > gets the travel bug like I did when I was young, he> > > will be able to > > > work anywhere in Europe by having his citizenship. > > > Tyler graduated high school in June and left, right> > > after, for > > > Finland to start the army July 9. It has been a> > > wonderful > > > experience. Not only are there guys from Finland> > > but guys, of > > >

Finnish descent, from every corner of the world. He> > > has made good > > > friends from Australia, South Africa, Israel, China,> > > all over North > > > America, etc. Where else would a boy his age get> > > such a wonderful > > > opportunity to meet such a wide variety of people?> > > Tyler plays guitar (which he took with him) and trys> > > to sing, but he > > > was blessed with my horrible voice, and he has a> > > very outgoing > > > personality. He originally had 12 boys in his room.> > > He had them all > > > singing and laughing and having a great time. The> > > other rooms > > > thought they were crazy. LOL> > > Well, it is now late October, and the boys have been> > > dropping out (I > > > guess home sick, medical reasons, etc) like

flies. > > > Tyler has hung in > > > there with no complaints and seems to be really> > > enjoying himself. I > > > could not be prouder....he makes his Mama walk a> > > little taller.> > > I posted a picture, which I just received in the> > > mail from the army, > > > in the & Tyler folder.> > > Anyway, sorry to bore you with such a long winded> > > email but I > > > couldn't help but share in my joy.> > > ,> > > Ontario, Canada> > > > > > > > > > > > __________________________________________________> >