repair blepharophimosis and epicanthus inversus. The scarring is not

" horrendous " ; perhaps you've been misinformed. I have a little visible

scarring - and only on one side - only if one knows where to look, up

close. The two other BPES-enhanced folks I've met in person had even

less scarring than me (i.e. none).

Surgical techniques have improved since I had mine done over 40 years

ago, and I had to have it done twice (my face had a growth spurt during

healing, which distorted things) - so mine's about as bad as it gets,

probably. My pictures are on the forum under 'Rob W'.

Let not your heart be troubled.

Rob W

Oz

rachael.grace wrote:

> is there anyone who can help me...the plastic surgeon at hospital

> thinks daniel who is 5 years old should have the double 2 plasty

> operation on both eyes...has anyone had this operation or has achild

> that has had this operation..we are worried as the scarring sounds

> horrendous..they had no after photos to show us and hav given us 4

> weeks to make adecision..please we need some information and

> help...worried parent rachael....

>

>

Hi ,

I had the double z plasty and my daughter did as well. You can see Paige (and myself) under "Paige and " photos. Paige's surgeries were a few months back and she healed well from both of them. She had the inner corners of her eyes done first and then the lid lift second. I basically have no scarring at all from either of my surgeries. The only slightly visible scars are hidden behind my eyebrows. Hope that helps!

North Carolina, USA

blepharophimosis epicanthic fold..double 2 plasty..telecanthus - y-v plasty

is there anyone who can help me...the plastic surgeon at hospital thinks daniel who is 5 years old should have the double 2 plasty operation on both eyes...has anyone had this operation or has achild that has had this operation..we are worried as the scarring sounds horrendous.. they had no after photos to show us and hav given us 4 weeks to make adecision..please we need some information and help...worried parent rachael....

Hi ,

My son will be having the same surgery at the end of October. I know what you are going through. This support group has a WEALTH of information for you, along with pictures posted of those who've had the surgeries. You will find help here :).

Take as much time as you need to research/ask questions/etc. - postpone the surgery if you are not 100% sure that this is what is best. From your post below it seems as though the doctors have put you on a 4 week timeline. I can't imagine the additional stress you face due to that.

Here are some additional links to websites that I found to be helpful in my research (includes b/f and after pics, as well as still shots of the surgery):

http://www.sarawakeyecare.com/caseoftheweek/case16a.htm

http://www.nature.com/eye/journal/v22/n3/fig_tab/6702644f4.html

http://www.djo.harvard.edu/site.php?url=/physicians/kr/965 & page=KR_AN

http://www.nature.com/eye/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/6702644a.html

I have more links I could forward as well - just say the word and I'll be happy to share everything I have.

Regards,

From: rachael.grace <rachael.grace@...>Subject: blepharophimosis epicanthic fold..double 2 plasty..telecanthus - y-v plastyblepharophimosis Date: Friday, September 26, 2008, 12:31 PM

is there anyone who can help me...the plastic surgeon at hospital thinks daniel who is 5 years old should have the double 2 plasty operation on both eyes...has anyone had this operation or has achild that has had this operation..we are worried as the scarring sounds horrendous.. they had no after photos to show us and hav given us 4 weeks to make adecision..please we need some information and help...worried parent rachael....

HI ,

Me and my daughter have BPES and both had 2 operations, could you explain

double 2 plasty operation on both eyes,

sorry I dont understand what this process is.

This website is fantastic, dont do anything you are not sure about, and make sure your doctor has answered all of your questions, delay it if you are still not sure.

You can always re-arrange if you then decide to do it. Personally I would be inclined to ask why the 4 week decision time.

Keep asing. Let me know what the plasty bit means, I will be happy to share our experiences.

Clare

From: rachael.grace <rachael.grace>Subject: blepharophimosis epicanthic fold..double 2 plasty..telecanthus - y-v plastyblepharophimosisDate: Friday, September 26, 2008, 12:31 PM

thankyou nancy it was really nice of you to send us the links..very informative...yes i would love it if you could send through more links...how long did it take for u to decide about your son....keep me informed about his operation, i would like to know how he got on..thankyou again rachael....

blepharophimosis epicanthic fold..double 2 plasty..telecanthus - y-v plastyblepharophimosisDate: Friday, September 26, 2008, 12:31 PM

i think the surgeon wants to do both operations at once..making the y and v incisions...but i need to know more....thanyou again for caring and i will keep intouch with you,,,thankyou ,,rachaelxx

blepharophimosis epicanthic fold..double 2 plasty..telecanthus - y-v plastyblepharophimosisDate: Friday, September 26, 2008, 12:31 PM

>

> Me and my daughter have BPES and both had 2 operations, could you

> explain

>

> double 2 plasty operation on both eyes,

That should be 'Z-plasty', not '2 plasty' (Zs look like 2s, so I can see

how this might be mis-read). It is called that because a Z-shaped

incision is made and the resulting two 'points' of skin are swapped. A

more complex set of incisions, called a 'Y-V' or 'jumping man'

canthoplasty operation, like an arrangement of multiple Z-plasties

together, are often used for BPES repair. Hence, perhaps, the 'double'

description.

A quick Google for 'Z-plasty' or those other terms should find resources

that can tell you more.

Rob W

Oz

Many thanks Rob.

Clare

From: Rob <whatteaux@...>Subject: Re: blepharophimosis epicanthic fold..double 2 plasty..telecanthus - y-v plastyblepharophimosis Date: Saturday, October 4, 2008, 2:57 PM

> > Me and my daughter have BPES and both had 2 operations, could you> explain> > double 2 plasty operation on both eyes,That should be 'Z-plasty', not '2 plasty' (Zs look like 2s, so I can see how this might be mis-read). It is called that because a Z-shaped incision is made and the resulting two 'points' of skin are swapped. A more complex set of incisions, called a 'Y-V' or 'jumping man' canthoplasty operation, like an arrangement of multiple Z-plasties together, are often used for BPES repair. Hence, perhaps, the 'double' description.A quick Google for 'Z-plasty' or those other terms should find resources that can tell you more.Rob WOz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ,

I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back to you on this - my son's surgery is this Thursday and I've been a mess. Haven't checked my email in a while ...

Here are some additional links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blepharophimosis (scroll down and click on the link beneath "external links" for a written description of the surgery)

http://freespace.virgin.net/andy.bowles/ (another support group - good info)

http://www.bioportfolio.com/indepth/Blepharophimosis.html (download the pdf and click the links below for case studies - some of this info is duplicated in the previous links)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bookshelf/br.fcgi?book=gene & part=bpes (this one is a bit technical, but very informative.

These, along with the links in the previous email, we found to be most helpful to us. We also received a bunch of case studies from our doctor. If I had a scanner, I'd load them in but unfortunately only have paper copies.

As far as how long it's taken us to decide whether or not to do the surgery ... I'm still not convinced that I won't turn the car around and go back home the minute we pull into the hospital parking lot on the 23rd. We were fortunate enough to get a diagnosis for our son at around 3 mos. old. He's six months old now, so we've been educating ourselves like crazy and really taking advantage of support group sites like this one. It might be helpful to ask your doctor if he or she can link you up with other families that have gone through the surgery. Our doc did that for us and talking to those families has helped.

I will post after the surgery to let you know how things went, and, should you decide to go through with the surgery for your son, what you may encounter after the surgery as far as recovery, etc.

I wish you the best - and will keep in touch.

From: rachael.grace <rachael.grace>Subject: blepharophimosis epicanthic fold..double 2 plasty..telecanthus - y-v plastyblepharophimosisDate: Friday, September 26, 2008, 12:31 PM

is there anyone who can help me...the plastic surgeon at hospital thinks daniel who is 5 years old should have the double 2 plasty operation on both eyes...has anyone had this operation or has achild that has had this operation..we are worried as the scarring sounds horrendous.. they had no after photos to show us and hav given us 4 weeks to make adecision..please we need some information and help...worried parent rachael....__________________________________________________

Hi ,

I'm sorry it's taken so long to get back to you on this - my son's surgery is this Thursday and I've been a mess. Haven't checked my email in a while ...

Here are some additional links

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blepharophimosis (scroll down and click on the link beneath "external links" for a written description of the surgery)

http://freespace.virgin.net/andy.bowles/ (another support group - good info)

http://www.bioportfolio.com/indepth/Blepharophimosis.html (download the pdf and click the links below for case studies - some of this info is duplicated in the previous links)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/bookshelf/br.fcgi?book=gene & part=bpes (this one is a bit technical, but very informative.

These, along with the links in the previous email, we found to be most helpful to us. We also received a bunch of case studies from our doctor. If I had a scanner, I'd load them in but unfortunately only have paper copies.

As far as how long it's taken us to decide whether or not to do the surgery ... I'm still not convinced that I won't turn the car around and go back home the minute we pull into the hospital parking lot on the 23rd. We were fortunate enough to get a diagnosis for our son at around 3 mos. old. He's six months old now, so we've been educating ourselves like crazy and really taking advantage of support group sites like this one. It might be helpful to ask your doctor if he or she can link you up with other families that have gone through the surgery. Our doc did that for us and talking to those families has helped.

I will post after the surgery to let you know how things went, and, should you decide to go through with the surgery for your son, what you may encounter after the surgery as far as recovery, etc.

I wish you the best - and will keep in touch.

is there anyone who can help me...the plastic surgeon at hospital thinks daniel who is 5 years old should have the double 2 plasty operation on both eyes...has anyone had this operation or has achild that has had this operation..we are worried as the scarring sounds horrendous.. they had no after photos to show us and hav given us 4 weeks to make adecision..please we need some information and help...worried parent rachael....__________________________________________________