that " everyone is different " ...how can I help ease the pain? I

encourage her to be strong and to know that she is beautiful just the

way she is - that God gave her beautiful " angel " eyes...she's just not

buying into it anymore...we go back to Boston for her check up in

April and I think I'll have to explore the option of having the lid

lift surgery...any suggestions how I can talk to my 6 year old openly

about her eye condition and what she should/should not say when other

kids poke fun at her??? I want her to be strong and KNOW that she is

NO different than anyone else just because she has smaller eyes...

Thanks.

~Jen

That darned ridicule - I totally understand your pain.. For my daughter , that was the most difficult part of having this syndrome. I'm not sure if your child explains to others (in any way she is able) the medical reason for her difference in appearance, but that should invoke compassion in even the meanest of bullies. My daughter never had the nerve to offer an explanation, but it may have stopped some of those bullies dead in their tracks. Who could possibly be heartless enough to poke fun at a child that was born with a medical condition? Remember also, that kids will notice anything "different" in a person, including large noses, excess weight, pimples, etc. Eventually, those bullies will move on to somebody else........Keep doing exactly as you are doing, and praise Jenna for her "uniqueness" every day. Keep reminding her of how beautiful she is. Compliment her often for every little

positive thing she says or does. Place great importance on all of her positive attributes that are not appearance related. is now a very happy, confident 13 year old. Many of those past "bullies" are now her "friends", who look up to her greatly, and admire her unique and exotic appearance.I promise it will get better.scoppeyes <minsco72@...> wrote: Hi. My daughter Jenna had her transnasal wiring surgery in April 06 - has not had to have the lid lift as yet - she was 4 when she had the surgery - now

6 and more AWARE of other kids who might stare at her, or who whisper to other kids about her apppearance...last night she cried to me and it really hit home...she told me that other kids stare and say things to her and she is strong enough to voice back that "everyone is different"...how can I help ease the pain? I encourage her to be strong and to know that she is beautiful just the way she is - that God gave her beautiful "angel" eyes...she's just not buying into it anymore...we go back to Boston for her check up in April and I think I'll have to explore the option of having the lid lift surgery...any suggestions how I can talk to my 6 year old openly about her eye condition and what she should/should not say when other kids poke fun at her??? I want her to be strong and KNOW that she is NO different than anyone else just because she has smaller eyes... Thanks. ~Jen

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Yes,yes,yes...Jen, my experience with my daughter, and now, two grandaughters is just as donna describes it...it does get better as time goes on.donna haskins <dhaskins214@...> wrote: That darned ridicule - I totally understand your pain.. For my daughter , that was the most difficult part of having this syndrome. I'm not sure if your child explains to others (in any way she is able) the medical reason for her difference in appearance, but that should invoke compassion in even the meanest of bullies. My

daughter never had the nerve to offer an explanation, but it may have stopped some of those bullies dead in their tracks. Who could possibly be heartless enough to poke fun at a child that was born with a medical condition? Remember also, that kids will notice anything "different" in a person, including large noses, excess weight, pimples, etc. Eventually, those bullies will move on to somebody else........Keep doing exactly as you are doing, and praise Jenna for her "uniqueness" every day. Keep reminding her of how beautiful she is. Compliment her often for every little positive thing she says or does. Place great importance on all of her positive attributes that are not appearance related. is now a very happy, confident 13 year old. Many of those past "bullies" are now her "friends", who look up to her greatly, and admire her unique and exotic appearance.I promise it will get

better.scoppeyes <minsco72sbcglobal (DOT) net> wrote: Hi. My daughter Jenna had her transnasal wiring surgery in April 06 - has not had to have the lid lift as yet - she was 4 when she had the surgery - now 6 and more AWARE of other kids who might stare at her, or who whisper to other kids about her apppearance...last night she cried to me and it really hit home...she told me that other kids stare and say things to her and she is strong enough to voice back that "everyone is different"...how can I help ease the pain? I encourage her to be strong and to know that she is beautiful just the way she is - that God gave her beautiful "angel" eyes...she's just not buying into it anymore...we go back to Boston for her check up in April and I think I'll have to explore the option of having the lid

lift surgery...any suggestions how I can talk to my 6 year old openly about her eye condition and what she should/should not say when other kids poke fun at her??? I want her to be strong and KNOW that she is NO different than anyone else just because she has smaller eyes...Thanks.~Jen Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

--- In blepharophimosis , " scoppeyes " <minsco72@...>

wrote:

>

> Hi. My daughter Jenna had her transnasal wiring surgery in April

06 -

> has not had to have the lid lift as yet - she was 4 when she had

the

> surgery - now 6 and more AWARE of other kids who might stare at

her,

> or who whisper to other kids about her apppearance...last night she

> cried to me and it really hit home...she told me that other kids

stare

> and say things to her and she is strong enough to voice back

> that " everyone is different " ...how can I help ease the pain? I

> encourage her to be strong and to know that she is beautiful just

the

> way she is - that God gave her beautiful " angel " eyes...she's just

not

> buying into it anymore...we go back to Boston for her check up in

> April and I think I'll have to explore the option of having the lid

> lift surgery...any suggestions how I can talk to my 6 year old

openly

> about her eye condition and what she should/should not say when

other

> kids poke fun at her??? I want her to be strong and KNOW that she

is

> NO different than anyone else just because she has smaller eyes...

> Thanks.

> ~Jen

>

By all means, keep doing what you're doing, Jen, cuz' it's great! One

thing my parents did at the beginning of each school year starting

when I was in first grade through third grade I think, was talk with

each teacher about my condition and ask that she talk with the class

about me. I was unaware of this as I was called out of the class to

the principal's office for some reason or another as the teacher did

it. As a result I wasn't poked fun at but I did get lots of questions

from the kids which although the questions made me uncomfortable and

constantly aware of my difference, were 10 times better than being