>> mules do when they fall into wells. After carefully assessing the

>> situation, the

>> farmer sympathized with the mule, but decided that neither the mule

>> nor

>> the well was worth the trouble of saving. Instead, he called his

>> neighbors

>> together and told them what had happened, and enlisted them to help

>> haul

>> dirt to bury the old mule in the well and put him out of his misery.

>> Initially, the old mule was hysterical! But as the farmer and his

>> neighbors continued shoveling and the dirt hit his back, a thought

>> struck

>> him. It

>> suddenly dawned on him that every time a shovel load of dirt landed

>> on

>> his back, HE SHOULD SHAKE IT OFF AND STEP UP! This he did, blow

>> after

>> blow.

>> " Shake it off and step up, shake it off and step up, shake it off and

>> step up! " he repeated to encourage himself. No matter how painful

>> the

>> blows,

>> or distressing the situation seemed the old mule fought " panic " and

>> just

>> kept right on SHAKING IT OFF AND STEPPING UP!

>> You're right! It wasn't long before the old mule, battered and

>> exhausted,

>> STEPPED TRIUMPHANTLY OVER THE WALL OF THAT WELL! What seemed like it

>> would bury him, actually blessed him, all because of the manner in

>> which he

>> handled his adversity.

>> THAT'S LIFE! If we face our problems and respond to them positively,

>> and refuse to give in to panic, bitterness, or self-pity, THE

>> ADVERSITIES

>> THAT COME ALONG TO BURY US USUALLY HAVE WITHIN THEM THE POTENTIAL TO

>> BENEFIT

>> AND BLESS US!

>> Remember that FORGIVENESS-FAITH-PRAYER-PRAISE and HOPE all are

>> excellent

>> ways to " SHAKE IT OFF AND STEP UP " out of the wells in which we find

>> ourselves!

>>

>> Bob....

>>

>

• 9 years later...

Hello all, welcome to all new members, and peeps that have been away a while.

I just wanted to add a few (actually its turned into lots of) things for thought, prob for parents more....

I can only talk from my experience, skills and knowledge.

Isnt this a fab wesbsite?

I have 3 children, 1 with BPES (13) and 2 (10 and 17) without, I have BPES too. I have my own journey in life that I have been through having different eyes, and poss fertility probs (for me it turned out ok). All sorts of things to overcome, nothing so big it stopped me though (I am determined not to let it).

We have children hoping and praying they will be born without any issues physically or mentally, I didnt really give a second thought to emotionally. Then we have children who are diagnosed with BPES (sometimes eventually) than as parents we start on the emotional rollercoaster ride, backwards and forwards to hospital, finding out information that may or may not be correct, the main focus of our children is BPES. We dont have control over that fact that they have it.

We do have control over the emotional bit of our childrens development. We all want the best for the people we love. There is so much more to each and every person in this world, than a disability, BPES, depression, illness etc.

I believe we need to teach our children to stand tall, be confident, smile and give them tools to cope with anything and everything that life gives, including jibes and horrid comments from others.

Children are easy to give a greater awareness too, if you have a child in school, the best way that worked for us to combat the comments is to make the children and parents aware. Also give tools and techniques to our own chldren to be able to deal with them.

When my daughter started school we had an incident that 2 boys were making really horrid comments to her, I was mortified, upset my beautiful daughter how dare they, for 2 days I was furious, she will grow up understanding what I have that people can be really horrid. Think about that for a minute. take out my emotion and isnt that the lesson we all learn with or without BPES.

The head teacher got to hear about it, and she was fantastic, she sent letters home to the kids parents, she called me on the phone to talk and asked if I wanted to do anything more, I said no, but I would like to talk to the class about living with BPES. Get t his bit, when I spoke to Emy about 'the incident' she asked which one was that then? She didnt even remember it!!!!!

So off we went me and my daughter, we talked about positives negatives operations etc, it worked. She very occasionally mentions it, we talk, get cross, feel better. I think what this did was give her confidence in how to deal with other people comments. She is now in secondary school (13) absolutely beautiful, tall, proud with the biggest smile (for those of you who have met her you will understand the smile bit).

We as a family have given our our children the same confidence, opportunity, self esteem and love, and thats what we can do, thats the bit we have control over. Acutally my 10 year old has probabally struggled more at school with things like this and he doesnt have BPES.

So whatever my feelings are about others and comments, it doesnt matter because my 3 children take on board what I feel, think and practice, and that is that all of my children are amazing beautiful flowers, all different, event the ones that are the same and they need to be placed in the sunshine to grow. (with or without BPES)

Children and adults with BPES are so much more than that issue, if as parents we focus on the other stuff and create a solid positive confident environment, we cant go wrong.

The nerves, anxious feeling, concern is our stuff. Explain to them about BPES as much as you can and want to, but keep the negative feelings just for us, they will learn and deal in a much better way if we give them the tools.

I want you to know I have BPES, my daughter Emy has BPES and I am a personal development trainer and mentor to adults with disability and incapacity. The most amazing job in the world. Just like being a mum.

Keep doing what you are doing, keep loving, keep being positive and keep being the wonderful people that you are.

The biggest thing you can give your kids is a smile.

Love to all

Clare Herts UK> From: Michel <jessicamichel224>> Subject: blepharophimosis Re: Bushy Eyebrows> blepharophimosis> Date: Saturday, August 30, 2008, 1:25 PM> OMG!!! I just found this group today. I am so Excited.> > I have 3 boys...2 of which have BPES Ages 8 and 3 (my 5 yr> old does

> not have it). They both have VERY bushy eyebrows. I have> never > heard that the bushy eyebrows was associated with BPES but> it makes > absolute sense. > > My ex-husband has BPES and has the same busy eyebrows.> > My oldest has undergone 3 surgeries and my 3 year old will> be having > his 2nd soon. > > > > > > From: Belinda <shewhomustbekept@ aol.com>> > Subject: blepharophimosis Re: Bushy Eyebrows> > blepharophimosis> > Date: Friday, August 29, 2008, 7:56

AM> > > > > > > > > > Yup, I think it may well have to do with the BPES. > > I call getting my eyebrows waxed, having the muppet> removed. I do > find > > if they go overboard, the scars are more noticable. > > I think there's a picture of my Dad an I in my> photos, my > grandfather' s > > eyebrows were just as epic.> >

• 1 year later...