RemedySpot.com

Re: What are the best employment opportunities for people with RA?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

not to put a bummer on you...i would start the process for total disabitity...

----- Original Message -----

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Sent: Friday, December 06, 2002 9:59 PM

Subject: What are the best employment opportunities for people with RA?

Greetings to all, I am new to this group. Here's my question for today: I am seeking a new job or seeking training for a new job. Now that I have RA that is worse in the hands, wrists, elbows, and shoulders, I can no longer work 4-7 hrs/day at a computer as was required in my most recent job. I was laid off because they need someone full-time and I could only come back from short-term disability part-time. I also have angina from CAD and can't handle the stress of my former jobs, executive director of a social service agency and case manager, even though the work had lots of variety. What job would specifically suit someone with RA? Thank you for your input.Maxine

Hi Maxine, Like everything with arthritis, the best job varies from person to person. I am the coordinator of a small non-profit. I am the only paid staff member. I have 35 volunteers plus I run 13 programs. I typically work 40-50 hours a week. The majority of my time is spent at a desk developing my programs but I do a number of presentations to large groups each month. For me, I wouldn't be able to function without my meds, specifically Remicade and Methotrexate. I was out of work for 6 months before starting Remicade because I could barely get out of bed, let alone work.

Take care,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“The strongest oak of the forest is not the one that is protected from the storm and hidden from the sun. It's the one that stands in the open where it is compelled to struggle for existence against the winds and rains and the scorching sun.” (Napoleon Hill)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

>Greetings to all, I am new to this group. Here's my question for >today: I am seeking a new job or seeking training for a new job. Now >that I have RA that is worse in the hands, wrists, elbows, and >shoulders, I can no longer work 4-7 hrs/day at a computer as was >required in my most recent job. I was laid off because they need >someone full-time and I could only come back from short-term >disability part-time. I also have angina from CAD and can't handle >the stress of my former jobs, executive director of a social service >agency and case manager, even though the work had lots of variety. >What job would specifically suit someone with RA? Thank you for your >input. >Maxine

MSN 8 helps ELIMINATE E-MAIL VIRUSES. Get 2 months FREE*.

Hello , Thanks so much for your reply. Your job sounds very

similar to the exec. director job I had for 12 years. I started out

as the only staff, part-time at $8/hr. and built it up to 4 paid

staff and 200 volunteers a year. At this time of my life, I choose

not to go in that direction again. But I am thrilled for you that

you can do it!! Way to go!! I am on prednisone and methotrexate.

My rheumy has told me that I haven't failed MX yet so he is not ready

to try Remicade or Enbrel at this time. Also, my cardiologist told

me that he wants me to work part-time and not live the high stress

life I led before. I agree.....I paid my dues in the intense social

service world for 20 years. Who knows how I will feel when I have

this RA under control. I am open to that possibility, believe me.

But now is the time for slowing down. Thanks for giving me your time

and thoughts. Maxine