RemedySpot.com

Re: Teeth and HIV

Rate this topic

Guest guest

what you need to realize is that your mouth will now get lots of cavities and cracks. The medications we are put on will do damage to the enamel of the tooth. I go in yearly for regular fillings and crowns. My dentist attributes this to the medications I take. Your gums will recede but it will take a few years to do that. Not overnight. Just get checked every year or every 6 months and take it from there. I get plenty of cavities its time for me to go in for this year and I have about 5 cavities and 3 broken teeth that need fixing and this happens every year.

FRANK

In a message dated 1/14/2008 9:44:23 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time, malebeyo@... writes:

am wondering what special things need to be done with respect toones teeth. I'll be visiting the dentist for the first time since mydiagnosis and is there anything special the dentist can do to keep theteeth healthy and the gums from receding?Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Nate Klarfeld, DDS, here. Before my retirement I was involved in the founding of a free dental clinic in Kansas City that is now pretty much mostly HIV positive people. It uses post graduate students and instructors form UMKC Dental School. Anyway, I have had a few years experience with HIV patients dentally and can help a bit.

First of all, your teeth were probably pretty much formed in a hardened state by age 19. That's why all the fluoride (no it's NOT a communist plot...people with fewer incidences of dental decay live 10 years longer, proved by those Mayo Bros.) was applied when you were in grade school and jr. high. What we do to them after nature forms them and our genetic predisposition to decay and bone loss (gum recession) is what to worry about in dental care.

First of all, it is important that your dentist know that you are HIV positive and your health status. A lesion can be an abrasion in one person and a serious condition in another. One of the first things a Doc learns is that is more important to know what KIND of patient has the disease than WHAT disease the patient has. Nuff said.

Second, there are many enzymes in your saliva that actually protect the bacteria from breaking down natural tooth structure. Unfortunately, many medications that we take tend to dry our mouths and cause these natural enzymes to either diminish or disappear. If you have a dry mouth or funny taste in your mouth from meds, it is important to double up on your brushing and flossing and probably get a prescription heavier duty fluoride toothpaste from your dentist. Fluoride is one of the most tested and misunderstood supplements in the history of the United States. Like the teaching of evolution, we are the only country that has a 'kookification' of anti fluoridationists. Many places like Texas, Oklahoma, Brazil, Spain and Greece have high natural fluoride in the water and they grow some fine looking men and teeth there.

Third, (and this is from my husband the psychiatrist...stay with me it does affect your teeth). Gay men have twice the incidence of alcohol and illegal drug abuse. Gay HIV patients might have a higher rate. Alcohol not only dehydrates your system, but the nausea brings up a liquid with a pH of 1 meaning high acid. Also, our fave drug of death seems to by crystal methamphetamine which not only dries out the mouth but causes those jaw twitches and teeth grinding. After a "party" weekend of several hundred thousand pounds of pressure on your molars, a marshmallow can crack a tooth. If you decide to party, make sure you double up on the brushing and flossing and see your dentist more often. Those who use chewing gum to relieve the meth twitches, try a sugarless brand.

That is but the tip of the iceberg on all this. Many of the better Dental Schools have rotations now in HIV treatment usually through either the VA or a public clinic. Insulin resistance can cause periodontal problems similar to diabetics. Anything you can do to decrease that (medication, diet, exercise) will slow down your periodontal (gum and bone recession).

I promise not to make everyone group floss on the cruise this year. See you in Oct.

Nate Klarfeld**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

Some HIV+ people have a dryer mouth due to decreased saliva production.

Your saliva has naturally occurring bacteria that help to fight tooth

decay and tartar accumulation, and keep your gums healthy. If you have

decreased saliva, it's important to keep your mouth moist.

There are various ways-- keeping water handy, chewing dry-mouth chewing

gum, dry-mouth toothpaste or mouthwash (Biotene makes all of them). I

buy Biotene chewing gum at the pharmacy at Costco. It's a lot cheaper

than per-pack in a regular pharmacy.

JimS.

>

> I am wondering what special things need to be done with respect to

> ones teeth. I'll be visiting the dentist for the first time since my

> diagnosis and is there anything special the dentist can do to keep the

> teeth healthy and the gums from receding?

> Thank You.

> J.T.

>

Do your gums receed regardless of if you are on HAART or not?Do most people with HIV loose some of their teeth as a result of receeding gums?I am scared!J.T. Re: Teeth and HIV

what you need to realize is that your mouth will now get lots of cavities and cracks. The medications we are put on will do damage to the enamel of the tooth. I go in yearly for regular fillings and crowns. My dentist attributes this to the medications I take. Your gums will recede but it will take a few years to do that. Not overnight. Just get checked every year or every 6 months and take it from there. I get plenty of cavities its time for me to go in for this year and I have about 5 cavities and 3 broken teeth that need fixing and this happens every year.

FRANK

In a message dated 1/14/2008 9:44:23 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time, malebeyo@... writes:

am wondering what special things need to be done with respect toones teeth. I'll be visiting the dentist for the first time since mydiagnosis and is there anything special the dentist can do to keep theteeth healthy and the gums from receding?Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Do your gums receed regardless of if you are on HAART or not?Do most people with HIV loose some of their teeth as a result of receeding gums?I am scared!J.T. Re: Teeth and HIV

FRANK

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

That happens with age anyway. But the meds seem to make them recede at a slightly accelerated rate. I would not worry about the gums receding I would worry about the cavities and cracks. I don't get dry mouth from the meds at all I produce plenty of saliva. The teeth are still there and are strong but the enamel wears thin due to the meds. There is no need to be scared about it. Its just living with the virus and medications. I am currently on 20 different medications. But I am alive and kicking and that's the important thing. The tooth decay and other problems are just small things. You can handle what is thrown your way.

FRANK

In a message dated 1/15/2008 8:48:31 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time, malebeyo@... writes:

Do your gums receed regardless of if you are on HAART or not?Do most people with HIV loose some of their teeth as a result of receeding gums?I am scared!Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

They do not recede that fast I have been poz for 16 years and they are not really receding that fast. Its not anything he needs to be scared of. Brushing with an electric toothbrush for the full 2 minutes should keep his gums in good shape. I still have a full mouth of teeth. Its the cavities that are the killer one tooth can get as many as 3 cavities in it at once.

FRANK

In a message dated 1/15/2008 5:51:04 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time, jim98122x@... writes:

You DO need to worry about gums receding. If your gums recede too much, you will lose your teeth anyway. Both your enamel and your gums need to be cared for, or your teeth will be goneStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

A few years ago I had a VERY dry mouth....it was very embarrassing and

inconvenient...I started using artificial saliva and did so for about

six months....dry mouth is bad for the teeth but then so is another

problem....reflux and vomiting...most of us have been sick on our

meds....if you are...clean your teeth straight after if you can....the

stomach acid in the vomit is very corrosive...similarly check with

your dentist if your back teeth show any signs of nocturnal

reflux....if so you may be advised to take something like lansoprazole

which will help....

Good oral hygiene and regular dental check ups are very

important....use a good quality toothbrush, toothpaste, mouthwash and

also make sure you clean in between your teeth...use inter dental

brushes....and above all take your time...most people rush through

cleaning their teeth and doing a thorough job is very important...

> >

> > I am wondering what special things need to be done with respect to

> > ones teeth. I'll be visiting the dentist for the first time since my

> > diagnosis and is there anything special the dentist can do to keep the

> > teeth healthy and the gums from receding?

> > Thank You.

> > J.T.

> >

>

I am 23 years + and still have all my teeth, despite some gum

disease...your dentist can advise and treat problems when they occur

but the actual 'doing' of good oral hygiene is up to the

individual....take responsibility for it, its your mouth and

prevention is better and cheaper than treatment :-)---

In , <malebeyo@...> wrote:

>

> Do your gums receed regardless of if you are on HAART or not?

> Do most people with HIV loose some of their teeth as a result of

receeding gums?

> I am scared!

> J.T.

>

>

> Re: Teeth and HIV

>

>

>

>

>

>

> what you need to realize is that your mouth will now get lots

> of cavities and cracks. The medications we are put on will do damage

to the

> enamel of the tooth. I go in yearly for regular fillings and crowns.

My dentist

> attributes this to the medications I take. Your gums will recede but

it will

> take a few years to do that. Not overnight. Just get checked every

year or every

> 6 months and take it from there. I get plenty of cavities its time

for me to go

> in for this year and I have about 5 cavities and 3 broken teeth that

need fixing

> and this happens every year.

>

> FRANK

>

>

>

>

> In a message dated 1/14/2008 9:44:23 P.M. US Mountain Standard Time,

> malebeyo@... writes:

>

> am

> wondering what special things need to be done with respect to

> ones teeth.

> I'll be visiting the dentist for the first time since my

> diagnosis and is

> there anything special the dentist can do to keep the

> teeth healthy and the

> gums from receding?

>

>

>

> Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

> Be a better friend, newshound, and

> know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

http://mobile./;_ylt=Ahu06i62sR8HDtDypao8Wcj9tAcJ

>

You DO need to worry about gums receding. If your gums recede too much, you will lose your teeth anyway. Both your enamel and your gums need to be cared for, or your teeth will be gone.

>> That happens with age anyway. But the meds seem to make them recede at a > slightly accelerated rate. I would not worry about the gums receding I would > worry about the cavities and cracks. I don't get dry mouth from the meds at all > I produce plenty of saliva. The teeth are still there and are strong but the > enamel wears thin due to the meds. There is no need to be scared about it. > Its just living with the virus and medications. I am currently on 20 different > medications. But I am alive and kicking and that's the important thing. The > tooth decay and other problems are just small things. You can handle what is > thrown your way.> FRANK> > > In a message dated 1/15/2008 8:48:31 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time, > malebeyo@... writes:> > Do your gums receed regardless of if you are on HAART or not?> Do most people with HIV loose some of their teeth as a result of receeding > gums?> I am scared!> > > > > **************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. > http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489>

Nate here again

Over 90% of all people regardless of HIV status, develops some form of periodontal (gum and bone disease). We are the first generation that does not expect to have full dentures in our old age. Implants, new bone grafting procedures, and better education have made huge strides in human tooth rentention.

When I graduated from dental school in 1975 over 50% of all people over 65 were edentulous (toothless) and wore dentures. Now the figure is in the mid 30'%s and it hasn't been that long a period.

Keep regular visits to the dentist, brush and floss and watch your carbohydrate intake, especially in the two hours before bedtime. (I have not practiced in 13 years but still say that like a Mantra). Look for the next few years to have even more advances in dentistry.

Keep smiling

Nate**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

Just to piggy-back some more on what Nate says.... HIV can cause gum inflammation even you're not experiencing worse cavities. HIV and HIV meds can definitely weaken your enamel and cause worse cavities. But even without these, your gums can still be inflammed. This inflammation can cause gum recession and eventually bone and tooth loss. You may need to get gum grafts. It's not fun.

It is very common for Periodontists to prescribe low-dose doxycycline, taken 20 mg twice a day, to reduce gum inflammation. A special dental-sized dose of this doxycyline is called Periostat. It is just for this purpose. Not surprisingly, the specialized 20mg sized dose is 3 to 4 times more expensive than generic doxycycline. Generic doxycycline is extremely cheap and comes in 100 mg pills. Use a cheap pill splitter and get 4 x 25mg from each 100mg generic pill. It'll end up a fraction of the cost of buying 20mg sized Periostat.

I have been taking low-dose doxycline twice daily with my other HIV meds, for several years. It has made a big difference in my chronic gum inflammation, and it's really cheap. Although I've had inflammation, gum recession, and a couple of gum grafts, I've had no cavities for years. So you can definitely have one without the other-- or you can have both-- since everyone's mouth is different.

JimS.

>> Nate here again> > Over 90% of all people regardless of HIV status, develops some form of > periodontal (gum and bone disease). We are the first generation that does not expect > to have full dentures in our old age. Implants, new bone grafting procedures, > and better education have made huge strides in human tooth rentention.> > When I graduated from dental school in 1975 over 50% of all people over 65 > were edentulous (toothless) and wore dentures. Now the figure is in the mid > 30'%s and it hasn't been that long a period.> > Keep regular visits to the dentist, brush and floss and watch your > carbohydrate intake, especially in the two hours before bedtime. (I have not practiced > in 13 years but still say that like a Mantra). Look for the next few years to > have even more advances in dentistry. > > Keep smiling> Nate> > > **************> Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.> > http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489>

Just to piggy-back some more on what Nate says.... HIV can cause gum inflammation even you're not experiencing worse cavities. HIV and HIV meds can definitely weaken your enamel and cause worse cavities. But even without these, your gums can still be inflammed. This inflammation can cause gum recession and eventually bone and tooth loss. You may need to get gum grafts. It's not fun.

It is very common for Periodontists to prescribe low-dose doxycycline, taken 20 mg twice a day, to reduce gum inflammation. A special dental-sized dose of this doxycyline is called Periostat. It is just for this purpose. Not surprisingly, the specialized 20mg sized dose is 3 to 4 times more expensive than generic doxycycline. Generic doxycycline is extremely cheap and comes in 100 mg pills. Use a cheap pill splitter and get 4 x 25mg from each 100mg generic pill. It'll end up a fraction of the cost of buying 20mg sized Periostat.

I have been taking low-dose doxycline twice daily with my other HIV meds, for several years. It has made a big difference in my chronic gum inflammation, and it's really cheap. Although I've had inflammation, gum recession, and a couple of gum grafts, I've had no cavities for years. So you can definitely have one without the other-- or you can have both-- since everyone's mouth is different.

JimS.

>> Nate here again> > Over 90% of all people regardless of HIV status, develops some form of > periodontal (gum and bone disease). We are the first generation that does not expect > to have full dentures in our old age. Implants, new bone grafting procedures, > and better education have made huge strides in human tooth rentention.> > When I graduated from dental school in 1975 over 50% of all people over 65 > were edentulous (toothless) and wore dentures. Now the figure is in the mid > 30'%s and it hasn't been that long a period.> > Keep regular visits to the dentist, brush and floss and watch your > carbohydrate intake, especially in the two hours before bedtime. (I have not practiced > in 13 years but still say that like a Mantra). Look for the next few years to > have even more advances in dentistry. > > Keep smiling> Nate> > > **************> Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape.> > http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489>

i'd like to comment based on several recent articles in the NYTimes

and elsewhere on this: there is genuine controversy that the water

supply in many locales is OVERflouridated, and i know certain

municipalities in the USA and Canada have lowered the amount of it

aded to their water supply.

the impression left has been that INGESTED flouride may in fact have

genuine negative health consequences, particularly when the levels

ingested exceeds a certain threshold i forget. Furthermore, there

seems to be little impact on dental health from INGESTED flouride. the

benefit seems to comes from DIRECT CONTACT, meaning that flouridated

water strengthens ur teeth during the actual drinking, and once

ingested no further benefit occurs.

this comports with my longterm experience in that i've always had so-

so brushing habits (once a day or less for most of my life) but since

i was 9 or 10 i've always made a habit of extensively rinsing my mouth

out with cold tap water after every meal. last October i had the first

dental cleaning of my life (35yo),it took all of 5 minutes and the 3

cavities cleaned out were minor surface ones, one the size of a sesame

seed and the other 2 the size of poppy seeds. i'm a lifelong

chocoholic and a war-like partisan of frosted donuts and blackout

cake. my siblings had similiar diets but lacked the water-rinsing

habit and have all had far more dental work than i. However, i've also

ddrank a quart to a half-gallon of milk a day for most of my life...so

i might have extra calcium lying around, but i'm always reading that

dairy calcium is poor absorbed? variables, variables...

on a side note, i'm slightly jealous of all u people running around

with cotton mouth...unless someone passes around a strong joint that

dries out my mouth for an hour or so, i go thru life over-salivating

(i suspect Norvir) and have to speak carefully and with a slight

impediment when real close to someone, because APPARENTLY if i speak

in my normal voice and manner i SHOWER them in spit...never used to be

like that...very embarrassing. (i recall meeting Artie Lang from the

Stern Show a while back and intorduced myself as " GayTony " ,

which i'm known as in Stern fandom, and Lang said " GayTony?! Jesus you

just spit all over me, i'll be dead in 2 weeks!! " ...that asshole's

lucky he's so funny!) :(

hopefully it stops if/when i switch meds to Isentress/Truvada this

month...

Jeton

Like the teaching of evolution, we are the only

> country that has a 'kookification' of anti fluoridationists. Many

places like Texas,

> Oklahoma, Brazil, Spain and Greece have high natural fluoride in the

water

> and they grow some fine looking men and teeth there.

>

> Nate Klarfeld

>

The use of Biotene an Alcohol free post brush mouth wash has been recommended

and is working for

me. Just one table spoon after a brushing or in lue of a brushing, 30 sec.

switch around the mouth

and between teeth, kills germs, freshens breath, and brightens your smile or at

least mine.

Give it a try, buy at any drug store $5.15

at cost co

for 16oz, Be Well, Beau August

________________________________________________________________________________\

____

Never miss a thing. Make your home page.

http://www./r/hs

The use of Biotene an Alcohol free post brush mouth wash has been recommended

and is working for

me. Just one table spoon after a brushing or in lue of a brushing, 30 sec.

switch around the mouth

and between teeth, kills germs, freshens breath, and brightens your smile or at

least mine.

Give it a try, buy at any drug store $5.15

at cost co

for 16oz, Be Well, Beau August

____

Never miss a thing. Make your home page.

http://www./r/hs

• 2 weeks later...

I'm old enough to get receding gums anyway, but have had a problem with dry mouth from meds for a while now. I find that if I keep after it, the recession has ceased, and even reversed. Biggest problem for me has been exposure of the root - it can be very sensitive.

You won't necessarily lose your teeth because of HIV. Just make sure you get regular dental attention and take care of your mouth. Having water handy, Biotene, flossing (including getting an interdental brush - very effective - Oral B makes a good one) - all good suggestions. There may be an HIV dental clinic around, too. It's really good to have a dentist that knows about HIV and oral medicine.

BG

[Norton AntiSpam] Re: Teeth and HIV

That happens with age anyway. But the meds seem to make them recede at a slightly accelerated rate. I would not worry about the gums receding I would worry about the cavities and cracks. I don't get dry mouth from the meds at all I produce plenty of saliva. The teeth are still there and are strong but the enamel wears thin due to the meds. There is no need to be scared about it. Its just living with the virus and medications. I am currently on 20 different medications. But I am alive and kicking and that's the important thing. The tooth decay and other problems are just small things. You can handle what is thrown your way.

FRANK

In a message dated 1/15/2008 8:48:31 A.M. US Mountain Standard Time, malebeyo@... writes:

Do your gums receed regardless of if you are on HAART or not?Do most people with HIV loose some of their teeth as a result of receeding gums?I am scared!

I'm old enough to get receding gums anyway, but have had a problem with dry mouth from meds for a while now. I find that if I keep after it, the recession has ceased, and even reversed. Biggest problem for me has been exposure of the root - it can be very sensitive.

You won't necessarily lose your teeth because of HIV. Just make sure you get regular dental attention and take care of your mouth. Having water handy, Biotene, flossing (including getting an interdental brush - very effective - Oral B makes a good one) - all good suggestions. There may be an HIV dental clinic around, too. It's really good to have a dentist that knows about HIV and oral medicine.

BG

FRANK

Do your gums receed regardless of if you are on HAART or not?Do most people with HIV loose some of their teeth as a result of receeding gums?I am scared!

BG

FRANK