RemedySpot.com

VIREAD & OSTEOPOROSIS

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Jules wrote this a while ago...

http://www.natap.org/2003/aug/081903_1.htm

Also, here http://www.ashp.org/mngrphs/ahfs/a301063.htm

Bone Effects. In one clinical study (study 903), decreases in bone mineral density at the lumbar spine, increases in levels of 4 biochemical markers of bone metabolism, and increased serum parathyroid hormone levels were reported in HIV-infected patients receiving tenofovir concomitantly with lamivudine and efavirenz; these effects also were reported to a lesser extent in patients who received a regimen of stavudine, lamivudine, and efavirenz.1 With the exception of bone-specific alkaline phosphatase concentrations, these changes generally remained within the normal range and the clinical importance is unknown.1 There were 4 bone fractures reported in patients receiving the regimen that contained tenofovir and 6 reported in those receiving the regimen that did not include tenofovir.1

Bone monitoring should be considered for HIV-infected patients who have a history of pathologic bone fracture or are at substantial risk for osteopenia.1 Although the effect of supplementation with calcium and vitamin D was not studied, such supplementation may be beneficial for all patients.1 If bone abnormalities are suspected, appropriate consultation should be obtained.1

Osteomalacia and decreases in bone mineral density have been reported in toxicology studies in juvenile animals given high doses of tenofovir.1 5

Regards, Vergelpowerusa dot org

In a message dated 1/12/2008 10:43:45 A.M. Central Standard Time, brian4nyc2004@... writes:

Happy New Year everyone !I keep hearing about Viread causing OSTEOPOROSIS. I was diagnosed with severe Lumbar Osteopenia in 2006 and now Itake Fosamax-D ever since. I wonder if anyone else's had the same effects with this anti-retroviral and what their doctorshave substituted VIREAD for.My HIV cocktail is Kaletra, Epsicom & Viread .Witch I've been taking since I got diagnosed in 2004. (I'm 40 years old)I'm hopeing is Viread the one causing the Osteoporosis and by substituting it the problem should stop and I wont have to take Fosamax-D anymore. THANK YOU .Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Jules wrote this a while ago...

http://www.natap.org/2003/aug/081903_1.htm

Also, here http://www.ashp.org/mngrphs/ahfs/a301063.htm

Bone Effects. In one clinical study (study 903), decreases in bone mineral density at the lumbar spine, increases in levels of 4 biochemical markers of bone metabolism, and increased serum parathyroid hormone levels were reported in HIV-infected patients receiving tenofovir concomitantly with lamivudine and efavirenz; these effects also were reported to a lesser extent in patients who received a regimen of stavudine, lamivudine, and efavirenz.1 With the exception of bone-specific alkaline phosphatase concentrations, these changes generally remained within the normal range and the clinical importance is unknown.1 There were 4 bone fractures reported in patients receiving the regimen that contained tenofovir and 6 reported in those receiving the regimen that did not include tenofovir.1

Bone monitoring should be considered for HIV-infected patients who have a history of pathologic bone fracture or are at substantial risk for osteopenia.1 Although the effect of supplementation with calcium and vitamin D was not studied, such supplementation may be beneficial for all patients.1 If bone abnormalities are suspected, appropriate consultation should be obtained.1

Osteomalacia and decreases in bone mineral density have been reported in toxicology studies in juvenile animals given high doses of tenofovir.1 5

Regards, Vergelpowerusa dot org

In a message dated 1/12/2008 10:43:45 A.M. Central Standard Time, brian4nyc2004@... writes:

Happy New Year everyone !I keep hearing about Viread causing OSTEOPOROSIS. I was diagnosed with severe Lumbar Osteopenia in 2006 and now Itake Fosamax-D ever since. I wonder if anyone else's had the same effects with this anti-retroviral and what their doctorshave substituted VIREAD for.My HIV cocktail is Kaletra, Epsicom & Viread .Witch I've been taking since I got diagnosed in 2004. (I'm 40 years old)I'm hopeing is Viread the one causing the Osteoporosis and by substituting it the problem should stop and I wont have to take Fosamax-D anymore. THANK YOU .Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

I have been writing qite a bit about bone disease in HIV lately. I estimate 70% perhaps in HIV have reduced bone mineral density and 60% have osteopenia. Reduced BMD is a strong risk factor for fractures. Fractures increase mortality and for individuals over the age of 50 fractures increasingly become a serious concern. Unfortunately there are NO guidelines in HIV for bone disease and very little attention is paid by researchers and leaders in HIV. The prevalence of tradional risk factors is probably higher in HIV and perhaps HIV and hepatitis infection are both associated with reduced BMD. Research has not found clear associations with ART & BMD, study findings are mixed. But Viread is associated with slight reductions in BMD. Research shows after several years of Viread theray MD is reduced a little but this reduction plateaus and stabilizes. Studies do not show a association between this affect and fractures.

There is little ongoing research in HIV to characterize and understand bone disease in HIV positives. Are risk factors the same? Is the prevalence of risk greater? What is the prevalence of osteopenia & osteoporosis in IV? In my opinion HIV positives have more traditional risk factors (alcohol, smoking, cortiosteroid use, low body weight) and a higher prevalence of bone diseaae. In my opinion, everyone should receive a diagnostic bone DEXA, but there are currently no guidelines or recommendaions. I think in time this problem may explode into a bigger problem with the aging of the HIV population. By the way, I have suffered a fracture recently and I can tell you it is a horrible exerience and I can understand from my personal experience why it reduces mortality. It is very hard to recover from a fracture, particularly one that requires surgery as mine did. I am recovering but it takes a lot of work & determination. I have contacted and communicated with researchers in HIV to raise concern about this issue. You all should think about raising this issue.

Jules Levin

Bone Loss in Liver Disease

This interesting article discusses the risk factors associated with bone loss in persons with liver disease. The authors suggest advancing liver disease is ...

www.natap.org/2002/feb/020402_1.htm

Osteopenia in HIV: risk factors for screening

Bone loss occurs with the use of HAART and/or the continuation of HIV infection. ... Factors Associated with Low Bone Mineral Density in a Large Cohort of ...

www.natap.org/2007/CROI/croi_36.htm

Risk Factors for Bone Loss in HIV Appear to be Associated with ...

Aims: Decreased bone mineral density (BMD) has been associated with HIV infection, however the exact molecular mechanism of decreased BMD remains to be ...

www.natap.org/2006/adverse/adverse_15.htm

Effects of Weight, Body Composition, and Testosterone on Bone ...

Our data demonstrate that bone density is clearly reduced among HIV-infected women with low weight. This effect occurs at the spine and hip. ...

www.natap.org/2007/HIV/062007_03.htm

Therapeutic management of bone demineralization in the HIV ...

The lack of response to some of the questions regarding the most appropriate treatment for HIV-infected patients with bone demineralization, ...

www.natap.org/2007/HIV/032807_03.htm

A use of the Search Engine at the NATAP website will show many more related reports on bone dises and in HIV.**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

I have been writing qite a bit about bone disease in HIV lately. I estimate 70% perhaps in HIV have reduced bone mineral density and 60% have osteopenia. Reduced BMD is a strong risk factor for fractures. Fractures increase mortality and for individuals over the age of 50 fractures increasingly become a serious concern. Unfortunately there are NO guidelines in HIV for bone disease and very little attention is paid by researchers and leaders in HIV. The prevalence of tradional risk factors is probably higher in HIV and perhaps HIV and hepatitis infection are both associated with reduced BMD. Research has not found clear associations with ART & BMD, study findings are mixed. But Viread is associated with slight reductions in BMD. Research shows after several years of Viread theray MD is reduced a little but this reduction plateaus and stabilizes. Studies do not show a association between this affect and fractures.

There is little ongoing research in HIV to characterize and understand bone disease in HIV positives. Are risk factors the same? Is the prevalence of risk greater? What is the prevalence of osteopenia & osteoporosis in IV? In my opinion HIV positives have more traditional risk factors (alcohol, smoking, cortiosteroid use, low body weight) and a higher prevalence of bone diseaae. In my opinion, everyone should receive a diagnostic bone DEXA, but there are currently no guidelines or recommendaions. I think in time this problem may explode into a bigger problem with the aging of the HIV population. By the way, I have suffered a fracture recently and I can tell you it is a horrible exerience and I can understand from my personal experience why it reduces mortality. It is very hard to recover from a fracture, particularly one that requires surgery as mine did. I am recovering but it takes a lot of work & determination. I have contacted and communicated with researchers in HIV to raise concern about this issue. You all should think about raising this issue.

Jules Levin

Bone Loss in Liver Disease

This interesting article discusses the risk factors associated with bone loss in persons with liver disease. The authors suggest advancing liver disease is ...

www.natap.org/2002/feb/020402_1.htm

Osteopenia in HIV: risk factors for screening

Bone loss occurs with the use of HAART and/or the continuation of HIV infection. ... Factors Associated with Low Bone Mineral Density in a Large Cohort of ...

www.natap.org/2007/CROI/croi_36.htm

Risk Factors for Bone Loss in HIV Appear to be Associated with ...

Aims: Decreased bone mineral density (BMD) has been associated with HIV infection, however the exact molecular mechanism of decreased BMD remains to be ...

www.natap.org/2006/adverse/adverse_15.htm

Effects of Weight, Body Composition, and Testosterone on Bone ...

Our data demonstrate that bone density is clearly reduced among HIV-infected women with low weight. This effect occurs at the spine and hip. ...

www.natap.org/2007/HIV/062007_03.htm

Therapeutic management of bone demineralization in the HIV ...

The lack of response to some of the questions regarding the most appropriate treatment for HIV-infected patients with bone demineralization, ...

www.natap.org/2007/HIV/032807_03.htm

A use of the Search Engine at the NATAP website will show many more related reports on bone dises and in HIV.**************Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape. http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489

Happy New Year everyone !

I keep hearing about Viread causing OSTEOPOROSIS.

I was diagnosed with severe Lumbar Osteopenia in 2006 and now I

take Fosamax-D ever since. I wonder if anyone else's had the

same effects with this anti-retroviral and what their doctors

have substituted VIREAD for.

My HIV cocktail is Kaletra, Epsicom & Viread .Witch I've been

taking since I got diagnosed in 2004. (I'm 40 years old)

I'm hopeing is Viread the one causing the Osteoporosis and

by substituting it the problem should stop and I wont have

to take Fosamax-D anymore.

THANK YOU .

Fosamax plus calcium and vit D increased bone density in hivers at a rate of 3

percent a year. So it is a slow process

Make sure you have good levels of testosterone and thyroid hormones. Also

resistance training improves bone density

Get 20 min a day of sunlight if you can to enhance your body's vit D production

It seems that bone loss stabilized after 48 weeks of Viread exposure. But we are

all different

I urge everyone to get a DEXA scan. Ask your doctor

Sent via BlackBerry by AT & T

VIREAD & OSTEOPOROSIS

Happy New Year everyone !

I keep hearing about Viread causing OSTEOPOROSIS.

I was diagnosed with severe Lumbar Osteopenia in 2006 and now I

take Fosamax-D ever since. I wonder if anyone else's had the

same effects with this anti-retroviral and what their doctors

have substituted VIREAD for.

My HIV cocktail is Kaletra, Epsicom & Viread .Witch I've been

taking since I got diagnosed in 2004. (I'm 40 years old)

I'm hopeing is Viread the one causing the Osteoporosis and

by substituting it the problem should stop and I wont have

to take Fosamax-D anymore.

THANK YOU .