RemedySpot.com

Re: naproxen

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Rhonda et al.... I've had better effect... longer 1/2 life with the prescription Naproxen but will sometime take an Aleve if needed.... rhonda_jenkins wrote:

Would 1000mg OTC Napoxen be the same as 2 500mg prescription naproxen? I am pretty sure it is but just wanted to double check.Rhonda

Guest guest

Hi ,

What do you mean by a longer 1/2 life? Btw, I've been feeling better the last few days except for a monster backache! I can mostly keep the back pain under control from mid-morning till around midnight with Aleve and extra strength Tylenol. I am just trying to figure out if I "just have a backache" or if it's RA related...

~*~Rhonda~*~

Guest guest

Rhonda or ,

Naproxen is what I take and I have a couple of questions for you,

1) What over the counter medicines can I take along with Naproxen?

2) Can I " double up " take an additional 500mg along with the current

500mg I currently take a day? (maybe I should ask my doctor about

that one)

3) They say (whoever " they " are) that naproxen is pretty rough on the

stomach, I am 35 years old and if I have to take this for another 35

years is it really going to take a toll on me, do you know what the

long term effects are?

--- In Rheumatoid Arthritis@y..., " Rhonda " <rjenkins@p...>

wrote:

> Hi ,

> What do you mean by a longer 1/2 life? Btw, I've been feeling

better the last few days except for a monster backache! I can mostly

keep the back pain under control from mid-morning till around

midnight with Aleve and extra strength Tylenol. I am just trying to

figure out if I " just have a backache " or if it's RA related...

>

> ~*~Rhonda~*~

I am far from being an expert on this stuff, but here is my two cents worth:

I know my daughter has a prescription for 800mg Naproxen, so I figure I can take three or four 220 mg OTC ones on a bad day if I need to. I do NOT do this on a regular basis though! Also, I know you can double up with other pain relievers such as extra strength Tylenol and Ibuprophen. I stagger them on bad days when I need more pain relief. For example, I'll take Naproxen once every 8 hours, Ibuprophen once every 6 hours and Tylenol once every six hours. So my day might look like this, 8AM Naproxen, 10AM Ibuprophen, 12 noon Tylenol, 4PM Ibuprophen, 6PM Tylenol, 8PM Naproxen, 10PM Ibuprophen, 12 midnight Tylenol, 4AM Ibuprophen, 6AM Tylenol. Again, that is ONLY on VERY BAD days!

Naproxen makes me nauseous so I only take it with food!

~*~Rhonda~*~

----- Original Message -----

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2002 3:07 PM

Subject: Re: naproxen

Rhonda or ,Naproxen is what I take and I have a couple of questions for you, 1) What over the counter medicines can I take along with Naproxen?2) Can I "double up" take an additional 500mg along with the current 500mg I currently take a day? (maybe I should ask my doctor about that one)3) They say (whoever "they" are) that naproxen is pretty rough on the stomach, I am 35 years old and if I have to take this for another 35 years is it really going to take a toll on me, do you know what the long term effects are?> Hi ,> What do you mean by a longer 1/2 life? Btw, I've been feeling better the last few days except for a monster backache! I can mostly keep the back pain under control from mid-morning till around midnight with Aleve and extra strength Tylenol. I am just trying to figure out if I "just have a backache" or if it's RA related...> > ~*~Rhonda~*~

Rhonda, make sure you are having your liver checked.... all this stuff is killer on liver and kidneys

Rhonda wrote:

I am far from being an expert on this stuff, but here is my two cents worth:

I know my daughter has a prescription for 800mg Naproxen, so I figure I can take three or four 220 mg OTC ones on a bad day if I need to. I do NOT do this on a regular basis though! Also, I know you can double up with other pain relievers such as extra strength Tylenol and Ibuprophen. I stagger them on bad days when I need more pain relief. For example, I'll take Naproxen once every 8 hours, Ibuprophen once every 6 hours and Tylenol once every six hours. So my day might look like this, 8AM Naproxen, 10AM Ibuprophen, 12 noon Tylenol, 4PM Ibuprophen, 6PM Tylenol, 8PM Naproxen, 10PM Ibuprophen, 12 midnight Tylenol, 4AM Ibuprophen, 6AM Tylenol. Again, that is ONLY on VERY BAD days!

Naproxen makes me nauseous so I only take it with food!

~*~Rhonda~*~

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Sent: Thursday, August 08, 2002 3:07 PM

Subject: Re: naproxen

Rhonda or ,Naproxen is what I take and I have a couple of questions for you, 1) What over the counter medicines can I take along with Naproxen?2) Can I "double up" take an additional 500mg along with the current 500mg I currently take a day? (maybe I should ask my doctor about that one)3) They say (whoever "they" are) that naproxen is pretty rough on the stomach, I am 35 years old and if I have to take this for another 35 years is it really going to take a toll on me, do you know what the long term effects are?> Hi ,> What do you mean by a longer 1/2 life? Btw, I've been feeling better the last few days except for a monster backache! I can mostly keep the back pain under control from mid-morning till around midnight with Aleve and extra strength Tylenol. I am just trying to figure out if I "just have a backache" or if it's RA related...> > ~*~Rhonda~*~

• 1 year later...
Guest guest

Hi

I have been taking naproxen now for about 5 yrs. I havent had any side affects from them at all They are a very good pain relief pill and also good for the inflamation. You always have to make sure and eat before taking them cos they can upset your tummy. I take 2 x 500mg a day.

Joyce

Guest guest

Hi

I was on celebrex and a lot of other tablets like that.I found the naproxen to be the best of the lot.

Ask your doc to give u a try on them Celebrex didnt do anything at all for me

Joyce

Guest guest

naproxin is "Aleve" an NSAID and has the same effects. I take it, 500 mg 2x daily and drink a lot of water and so far no problems that i know of. i am never without pain, but it could be worse. i am still pretty active, tough as you know, with RA one gets tired easily, and needs rest. i am over 75 so can expect to get tired :{}

i am drawing a blan this a.m. and can't remember the list of side effects, but all nsaids i think have about the same list.

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 10:31 AM

Subject: Naproxen

Hi,

Can anyone tell me anything about Naproxen? Side effects, etc. Is it helpful for arthritis?

Thank you,

Guest guest

I take it too, as needed, and it really works for me. But you need to be sure not to take it on an empty stomach, and drink plenty of water with it, as Leo said. It can really tear up your stomach otherwise.

----- Original Message ----- From: leo

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Sent: Monday, March 08, 2004 12:12 PM

Subject: Re: Naproxen

naproxin is "Aleve" an NSAID and has the same effects. I take it, 500 mg 2x daily and drink a lot of water and so far no problems that i know of. i am never without pain, but it could be worse. i am still pretty active, tough as you know, with RA one gets tired easily, and needs rest. i am over 75 so can expect to get tired :{}

i am drawing a blan this a.m. and can't remember the list of side effects, but all nsaids i think have about the same list.

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Sent: Sunday, March 07, 2004 10:31 AM

Subject: Naproxen

Hi,

Can anyone tell me anything about Naproxen? Side effects, etc. Is it helpful for arthritis?

Thank you,

Guest guest

Thanks, Leo.

naproxin is " Aleve " an NSAID and

has the same effects. I take it, 500 mg 2x daily and drink a lot of water

and so far no problems that i know of. i am never without pain, but it could be

worse. i am still pretty active, tough as you know, with RA one gets tired

easily, and needs rest. i am over 75 so can expect to get tired :{}

i am drawing a blan this a.m. and can't

remember the list of side effects, but all nsaids i think have about

the same list.

Guest guest

Thanks, Joyce and also. I’m not on them, but a neighbor said he

had good results with it, but can’t take it with Celebrex. I see a doctor on Thursday.

Hi

yes mine are coated.I have never had the ones that are not.

Hope you find them ok if you start on them?

joyce

Guest guest

I used to take Naproxen but now I take Ibuprofen (800 mg 3 times a

day). I find Ibruprofen better for me. Some people respond to

NSAID's differently but most doctors insist they are all about the

same. Just make sure to take it with food and plenty of liquid. Good

luck.

-

> Hi

> I was on celebrex and a lot of other tablets like that.I found the

naproxen

> to be the best of the lot.