water and food aren't culprits, but I'd be willing to bet that

there's been a big leap in prematurity since the prenatal flu shot

uptake skyrocketed.

>

>

> Excerpt from " A Fight for Survival " , statesman.com Note the 1981

date

> and 30% increase. hmmmm? I think these are CDC numbers, which makes

> them a bit dubious. The article doesn't cite source.

>

> Lenny

>

>

>

>

> One out of eight babies in this country arrives prematurely. That's

> 500,000 infants born before 37 weeks in the womb, a number that has

> increased 30 percent since 1981. And technology is allowing doctors

to

> save more of them at an earlier age: Normal gestation is 40 weeks;

> many babies born at 23 weeks now survive.

> But prematurity remains the leading cause of death for newborns,

> killing more than 10,000 each year. Those who survive have a higher

> risk of cerebral palsy, mental retardation, poor vision, severe acid

> reflux, learning disabilities and behavior problems.

> Prematurity outpaces autism, which affects 1 in 150 children;

multiple

> sclerosis, which hits 1 in 700; and Down syndrome, which occurs in 1

> out of 733.

>

>

> http://tinyurl.com/2ycewx

>

well wait a minute------------------not all babies born before 37 weeks are premature. My daughter was born a month early-at the end of my 8th month(aren't babies in the womb 9 months-? wouldn't 40 weeks make it 10 months?) anyway, she weighed in at 5 pounds at the end of my 8th month and was not considered a premie. Mschaferatsprynet <schafer@...> wrote: Excerpt from "A Fight for Survival", statesman.com Note the 1981 dateand 30% increase. hmmmm? I think these are CDC numbers, which makesthem a

bit dubious. The article doesn't cite source. LennyOne out of eight babies in this country arrives prematurely. That's500,000 infants born before 37 weeks in the womb, a number that hasincreased 30 percent since 1981. And technology is allowing doctors tosave more of them at an earlier age: Normal gestation is 40 weeks;many babies born at 23 weeks now survive. But prematurity remains the leading cause of death for newborns,killing more than 10,000 each year. Those who survive have a higherrisk of cerebral palsy, mental retardation, poor vision, severe acidreflux, learning disabilities and behavior problems. Prematurity outpaces autism, which affects 1 in 150 children; multiplesclerosis, which hits 1 in 700; and Down syndrome, which occurs in 1out of 733. http://tinyurl.com/2ycewx

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Babies considered full term at 40 weeks.

Thanks,

a

From: EOHarm [mailto:EOHarm ] On Behalf Of Maurine Meleck

Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008

7:03 PM

EOHarm

Subject: Re: Interesting

prevalence factoids(?)

well wait a minute------------------not all babies born

before 37 weeks are premature. My daughter was born a month early-at the

end of my 8th month(aren't babies in the womb 9 months-? wouldn't 40 weeks make

it 10 months?) anyway, she weighed in at 5 pounds at the end of my 8th

month and was not considered a premie.

M

schaferatsprynet

<schafersprynet> wrote:

Excerpt from " A Fight for Survival " , statesman.com Note the 1981 date

and 30% increase. hmmmm? I think these are CDC numbers, which makes

them a bit dubious. The article doesn't cite source.

Lenny

One out of eight babies in this country arrives prematurely. That's

500,000 infants born before 37 weeks in the womb, a number that has

increased 30 percent since 1981. And technology is allowing doctors to

save more of them at an earlier age: Normal

gestation is 40 weeks;

many babies born at 23 weeks now survive.

But prematurity remains the leading cause of death for newborns,

killing more than 10,000 each year. Those who survive have a higher

risk of cerebral palsy, mental retardation, poor vision, severe acid

reflux, learning disabilities and behavior problems.

Prematurity outpaces autism, which affects 1 in 150 children; multiple

sclerosis, which hits 1 in 700; and Down syndrome, which occurs in 1

out of 733.

http://tinyurl.com/2ycewx

Never miss a thing. Make

your homepage.

This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service, using

Skeptic technology powered by MessageLabs. For more information on MCI's

Managed Email Content Service, visit http://www.mci.com.

This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service, using Skeptic technology powered by MessageLabs. For more information on MCI's Managed Email Content Service, visit http://www.mci.com.

A baby is considered premature is it is

born before 37 weeks gestation.

Thanks,

a

From: EOHarm [mailto:EOHarm ] On Behalf Of Maurine Meleck

Sent: Thursday, January 03, 2008

7:03 PM

EOHarm

Subject: Re: Interesting

prevalence factoids(?)

well wait a minute------------------not all babies born

before 37 weeks are premature. My daughter was born a month early-at the

end of my 8th month(aren't babies in the womb 9 months-? wouldn't 40 weeks make

it 10 months?) anyway, she weighed in at 5 pounds at the end of my 8th

month and was not considered a premie.

M

schaferatsprynet

<schafersprynet> wrote:

Excerpt from " A Fight for Survival " , statesman.com Note the 1981 date

and 30% increase. hmmmm? I think these are CDC numbers, which makes

them a bit dubious. The article doesn't cite source.

Lenny

One out of eight babies in this country arrives prematurely. That's

500,000 infants born before 37 weeks in the womb, a number that has

increased 30 percent since 1981. And technology is allowing doctors to

save more of them at an earlier age: Normal

gestation is 40 weeks;

many babies born at 23 weeks now survive.

But prematurity remains the leading cause of death for newborns,

reflux, learning disabilities and behavior problems.

Prematurity outpaces autism, which affects 1 in 150 children; multiple

sclerosis, which hits 1 in 700; and Down syndrome, which occurs in 1

out of 733.

http://tinyurl.com/2ycewx

Never miss a thing. Make

your homepage.

This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service, using

Skeptic technology powered by MessageLabs. For more information on MCI's

Managed Email Content Service, visit http://www.mci.com.

This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service, using Skeptic technology powered by MessageLabs. For more information on MCI's Managed Email Content Service, visit http://www.mci.com.

well, regardless of my mistake-my daughter was born before 37 weeks and was not considered premature.a Calderon <lcalderon@...> wrote: Babies considered full term at 40 weeks. Thanks, a From: EOHarm [mailto:EOHarm ] On Behalf Of Maurine MeleckSent: Thursday, January 03, 2008 7:03 PMEOHarm Subject: Re: Interesting prevalence factoids(?) well wait a minute------------------not all babies born before 37 weeks are premature. My daughter was born a month early-at the end of my 8th month(aren't babies in the womb 9 months-? wouldn't 40 weeks make it 10 months?) anyway, she weighed in at 5 pounds at the end of my 8th month and was not considered a premie. Mschaferatsprynet

<schafersprynet> wrote: Excerpt from "A Fight for Survival", statesman.com Note the 1981 dateand 30% increase. hmmmm? I think these are CDC numbers, which makesthem a bit dubious. The article doesn't cite source. LennyOne out of eight babies in this country arrives prematurely. That's500,000 infants born before 37 weeks in the womb, a number that hasincreased 30 percent since 1981. And technology is allowing doctors tosave more of them at an earlier age: Normal gestation is 40 weeks;many babies born at 23 weeks now survive. But prematurity remains the leading cause of death for newborns,killing more than 10,000 each year. Those who survive have a higherrisk of cerebral palsy,

mental retardation, poor vision, severe acidreflux, learning disabilities and behavior problems. Prematurity outpaces autism, which affects 1 in 150 children; multiplesclerosis, which hits 1 in 700; and Down syndrome, which occurs in 1out of 733. http://tinyurl.com/2ycewx Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. ______________________________________________________________________This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service, using Skeptic technology powered by MessageLabs. For more information on MCI's Managed Email Content Service, visit http://www.mci.com.______________________________________________________________________ ______________________________________________________________________This e-mail has been scanned by MCI Managed Email Content Service, using Skeptic technology powered by MessageLabs. For more information on MCI's Managed Email Content Service, visit

http://www.mci.com.______________________________________________________________________

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

What's with these numbers? Even here in Canada, a few years ago, it was reported that 1 out of 8 of us have a disability. Now, the number is 1 in 7: http://www.thestar.com/article/288493 . A big poster in the staff room at my school states that 1 out of 5 children in Ontario will have problems with their "mental health". 1 out of 6 kids in the States have neurological and/or behavioral problems. Are they the offspring of the 1 out of 6 women who have enough heavy metals in their systems to potentially harm their offspring? These same numbers keep cropping up: 1/5, 1/6, 1/7, 1/8, and unfortunately, their related percentages of people with various problems, seems to be on the increase. Aasaschaferatsprynet <schafer@...> wrote: Excerpt from "A Fight for Survival", statesman.com Note the 1981 dateand 30% increase. hmmmm? I think these are CDC numbers, which makesthem a bit dubious. The article doesn't cite source. LennyOne out of eight babies in this country arrives prematurely. That's500,000 infants born before 37 weeks in the womb, a number that hasincreased 30 percent since 1981. And technology is allowing doctors tosave more of them at an earlier age: Normal gestation is 40 weeks;many babies born at 23 weeks now survive. But prematurity remains the leading cause of death for newborns,killing more than 10,000 each year. Those who survive

have a higherrisk of cerebral palsy, mental retardation, poor vision, severe acidreflux, learning disabilities and behavior problems. Prematurity outpaces autism, which affects 1 in 150 children; multiplesclerosis, which hits 1 in 700; and Down syndrome, which occurs in 1out of 733. http://tinyurl.com/2ycewx

I've heard some state if the baby's lungs are mature they are not

considered premie, even if before 37 wks, maybe that was why?

Debi

>

>

> well, regardless of my mistake-my daughter was born before 37

weeks and was not considered premature.

>

>

A while back on PBS, someone was interviewing that guy that unravelled the human genome (I posted this and now cannot remember his name) who indicated that 2/3 of the population cannot detox. I think this translates to a methylation problem. Not methylating must contribute to a heck of a lot of disease state. If you are carrying toxins, you ARE going to end up with some disability (aside from the usual car accident, stroke, etc. paralysis type thing).So.............................. what atomic blast (toxin) could have caused this questionable situation? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what has gone on in the past 20-25 years?????? Re: Interesting prevalence factoids(?)

What's with these numbers? Even here in Canada, a few years ago, it was reported that 1 out of 8 of us have a disability. Now, the number is 1 in 7: http://www.thestar. com/article/ 288493 . A big poster in the staff room at my school states that 1 out of 5 children in Ontario will have problems with their "mental health". 1 out of 6 kids in the States have neurological and/or behavioral problems. Are they the offspring of the 1 out of 6 women who have enough heavy metals in their systems to potentially harm their offspring? These same numbers keep cropping up: 1/5, 1/6, 1/7, 1/8, and unfortunately, their related percentages of people with various problems, seems to be on the increase. Aasaschaferatsprynet <schafersprynet (DOT) com> wrote: Excerpt from "A Fight for Survival", statesman.com Note the 1981 dateand 30% increase. hmmmm? I think these are CDC numbers, which makesthem a bit dubious. The article doesn't cite source. LennyOne out of eight babies in this country arrives prematurely. That's500,000 infants born before 37 weeks in the womb, a number that hasincreased 30 percent since 1981. And technology is allowing doctors tosave more of them at an earlier age: Normal gestation is 40 weeks;many babies born at 23 weeks now survive. But prematurity remains the leading cause of death for newborns,killing more than 10,000 each year. Those who survive

have a higherrisk of cerebral palsy, mental retardation, poor vision, severe acidreflux, learning disabilities and behavior problems. Prematurity outpaces autism, which affects 1 in 150 children; multiplesclerosis, which hits 1 in 700; and Down syndrome, which occurs in 1out of 733. http://tinyurl. com/2ycewx

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Maurine, 40 weeks does not equal 10 months, necessarily. As you know, there are 12 months in a year and 52 weeks. That means each month is cerca 4 1/3 weeks long. Multiply 4 1/3 by 9 and you will get closer to the 40 weeks. It is still off because some months have 30 days, others 31, and February has even less, if it's included. Do any of you have the link to the quirky Ma and Pa Kettle video where they are trying to explain some math to one of their sons/he was trying to explain it to them? That was hilarious and may be fitting here. Math aside, some extreme preemies do turn out OK. One of my cousin's sons is a case in point. He was born months too early, was in the hospital for many months, and now is a strapping young man with all his wits about him, 18 years later, and doing well. AasaMaurine Meleck <maurine_meleck@...> wrote: well wait a minute------------------not all babies born before 37 weeks are premature. My daughter was born a month early-at the end of my 8th month(aren't babies in the womb 9 months-? wouldn't 40 weeks make it 10 months?) anyway, she weighed in at 5 pounds at the end of my 8th month and was not considered a premie. Mschaferatsprynet <schafersprynet> wrote: Excerpt from "A Fight for Survival", statesman.com Note the 1981

dateand 30% increase. hmmmm? I think these are CDC numbers, which makesthem a bit dubious. The article doesn't cite source. LennyOne out of eight babies in this country arrives prematurely. That's500,000 infants born before 37 weeks in the womb, a number that hasincreased 30 percent since 1981. And technology is allowing doctors tosave more of them at an earlier age: Normal gestation is 40 weeks;many babies born at 23 weeks now survive. But prematurity remains the leading cause of death for newborns,killing more than 10,000 each year. Those who survive have a higherrisk of cerebral palsy, mental retardation, poor vision, severe acidreflux, learning disabilities and behavior problems. Prematurity outpaces autism, which affects 1 in 150 children; multiplesclerosis, which hits 1 in 700; and Down syndrome, which occurs in 1out of 733. http://tinyurl.com/2ycewx Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Wellll....It was roughly 30 years ago it started to become " OK " for

women past 35-40 to continue to have children - or become pregnant

for the first time. Now we hardly raise an eyebrow when a sixty-year-

old has twins! Not only is the older mother factor (preclampsia,

pregnancy diabetes) playing into the premie births, but the multiple

births caused by fertility drugs and clinics and the like. And while

the overall teen birth rate dropped from the mid-90's until recently,

the economy, lack of health insurance and scarcity of low-cost health

services mean that the lower middle class and lower class teens who

find themselves pregnant are the least likely to get needed prenatal

care.

In general, a baby born after 38 wks or before 42 wks is

considered " term " , as pregnancy is figured from the time of the first

missed period, not conception, and first babies often are a bit

later, while subsequent babies may come a week or two sooner. One

sign that the baby is a bit early is when they arrive still covered

with vernix, a white creamy substance resembling cottage cheese,

which coats and protects the newborn's delicate skin until it

is " full-term " . At 36-37 wks (and earlier) the concern is whether the

lungs are developed enough for baby to be able to breathe.

CDC? Dubious?? NAW, couldn't be!!

beth

>

>

date

>

> Lenny

>

>

>

>

to

multiple

> out of 733.

>

>

>

thanks. i feel kind of dumb, but it still doesn't change the fact that a baby can be born prior to 37 weeks and still not be considered a premie as in my case. maurineAasa <penas7ar@...> wrote: Maurine, 40 weeks does not equal 10 months, necessarily. As you know, there are 12 months in a year and 52 weeks. That means each month is cerca 4 1/3 weeks long. Multiply 4 1/3 by 9 and you will get closer to the 40 weeks. It is still off because some months have 30 days, others 31, and February has even

less, if it's included. Do any of you have the link to the quirky Ma and Pa Kettle video where they are trying to explain some math to one of their sons/he was trying to explain it to them? That was hilarious and may be fitting here. Math aside, some extreme preemies do turn out OK. One of my cousin's sons is a case in point. He was born months too early, was in the hospital for many months, and now is a strapping young man with all his wits about him, 18 years later, and doing well. AasaMaurine Meleck <maurine_meleck > wrote: well wait a minute------------------not all babies born before 37 weeks are premature. My daughter was born a month early-at the end of my 8th month(aren't babies in the womb 9 months-? wouldn't 40 weeks make it 10 months?) anyway, she

weighed in at 5 pounds at the end of my 8th month and was not considered a premie. Mschaferatsprynet <schafersprynet> wrote: Excerpt from "A Fight for Survival", statesman.com Note the 1981 dateand 30% increase. hmmmm? I think these are CDC numbers, which makesthem a bit dubious. The article doesn't cite source. LennyOne out of eight babies in this country arrives prematurely. That's500,000 infants born before 37 weeks in the womb, a number that hasincreased 30 percent since 1981. And technology is allowing doctors tosave more of them at an earlier age: Normal gestation is 40 weeks;many babies born at 23 weeks now survive. But prematurity remains the leading cause of death for newborns,killing more than 10,000 each year. Those who survive have a higherrisk of cerebral

palsy, mental retardation, poor vision, severe acidreflux, learning disabilities and behavior problems. Prematurity outpaces autism, which affects 1 in 150 children; multiplesclerosis, which hits 1 in 700; and Down syndrome, which occurs in 1out of 733. http://tinyurl.com/2ycewx Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Oooo, that's intersting, and I even somewhat recall reading about that guy in the TIME magazine not too long ago. Sadly to say, I also cannot recall his name (probably thanks to my own mercury befuddled brain), but will try and find out who he is. I don't recall any mention of the indication that 2/3 of the population cannot detox, but if that is true, that may explain a lot! Aasakelly reedy <novacmama@...> wrote:

A while back on PBS, someone was interviewing that guy that unravelled the human genome (I posted this and now cannot remember his name) who indicated that 2/3 of the population cannot detox. I think this translates to a methylation problem. Not methylating must contribute to a heck of a lot of disease state. If you are carrying toxins, you ARE going to end up with some disability (aside from the usual car accident, stroke, etc. paralysis type thing).So.............................. what atomic blast (toxin) could have caused this questionable situation? Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm what has gone on in the past 20-25 years?????? Re: Interesting prevalence factoids(?) What's with these numbers? Even here in Canada, a few years ago, it was reported that 1 out of 8 of us have a disability. Now, the number is 1 in 7: http://www.thestar. com/article/ 288493 . A big poster in the staff room at my school states that 1 out of 5 children in Ontario will have problems with their "mental health". 1 out of 6 kids in the States have neurological and/or behavioral problems. Are they the offspring of the 1 out of 6 women who have enough heavy metals in their systems to potentially harm their offspring? These same numbers keep cropping up: 1/5, 1/6, 1/7, 1/8, and unfortunately, their related percentages of people with various problems, seems to be on the increase. Aasaschaferatsprynet <schafersprynet (DOT) com> wrote: Excerpt from "A Fight for Survival", statesman.com Note the 1981 dateand 30% increase. hmmmm? I think these are CDC numbers, which makesthem a bit dubious. The article doesn't cite source. LennyOne out of eight babies in this country arrives prematurely. That's500,000 infants born before 37 weeks in the womb, a number that hasincreased 30 percent since 1981. And technology is allowing doctors tosave more of them at an earlier age: Normal gestation is 40 weeks;many babies born at 23 weeks now survive. But prematurity remains the leading cause of death for newborns,killing more than 10,000 each year. Those who survive have a higherrisk of cerebral palsy, mental retardation, poor

vision, severe acidreflux, learning disabilities and behavior problems. Prematurity outpaces autism, which affects 1 in 150 children; multiplesclerosis, which hits 1 in 700; and Down syndrome, which occurs in 1out of 733. http://tinyurl. com/2ycewx Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Maurine, 36 weeks is considered a sort of safe cut off date for

preemies. They will have some difficulties, might take time to catch

up but mostly all is good. Anytime after 37 weeks an OB/GYN told me,

a baby is welcome.

Gayatri

>

date

>

> Lenny

>

to

multiple

> out of 733.

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with

Search.

>

The more I think about it, it seems like it must be 40 weeks from the

last ACTUAL period. It is an inaccurate method of estimating the

baby's conception and due date, which is why sonagrams are used so

often, although their safety is not well-documented either. Women

sometimes are very aware when conception occurred, due to VERY swift

and undeniable body changes, aversions to foods and drinks that

tasted fine just days or hours previously, hormonal changes, etc,

especially if they've been through pregnancy and childbirth before.

Drs disregard this instinctive self-knowledge, as they are taught

that anecdotal evidence given by patients is not trustworthy.

> >

> >

> > Excerpt from " A Fight for Survival " , statesman.com Note the 1981

> date

> > and 30% increase. hmmmm? I think these are CDC numbers, which

makes

> > them a bit dubious. The article doesn't cite source.

> >

> > Lenny

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > One out of eight babies in this country arrives prematurely.

That's

> > 500,000 infants born before 37 weeks in the womb, a number that

has

> > increased 30 percent since 1981. And technology is allowing

doctors

> to

> > save more of them at an earlier age: Normal gestation is 40 weeks;

> > many babies born at 23 weeks now survive.

> > But prematurity remains the leading cause of death for newborns,

> > killing more than 10,000 each year. Those who survive have a

higher

> > risk of cerebral palsy, mental retardation, poor vision, severe

acid

> > reflux, learning disabilities and behavior problems.

> > Prematurity outpaces autism, which affects 1 in 150 children;

> multiple

> > sclerosis, which hits 1 in 700; and Down syndrome, which occurs

in 1

> > out of 733.

> >

> >

> > http://tinyurl.com/2ycewx

> >

>

Yeah, I believe it's forty weeks from LMP. I had a time trying to

figure that one out when pregnant with the twins. It's not forty

weeks from gestation because science doesn't believe that women know

when they ovulate and even if they did, the time it takes for

implantation varies.

Had our twins been born at forty weeks, they would have been eight

LBs each. As it was, by 37 weeks I looked like I was wearing one of

those large planters on my stomach, like the ones that hold ficus

trees outside of banks.

> > >

> > >

> > > Excerpt from " A Fight for Survival " , statesman.com Note the

> > date

> > > and 30% increase. hmmmm? I think these are CDC numbers, which

> makes

> > > them a bit dubious. The article doesn't cite source.

> > >

> > > Lenny

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > One out of eight babies in this country arrives prematurely.

> That's

> > > 500,000 infants born before 37 weeks in the womb, a number that

> has

> > > increased 30 percent since 1981. And technology is allowing

> doctors

> > to

> > > save more of them at an earlier age: Normal gestation is 40

weeks;

> > > many babies born at 23 weeks now survive.

> > > But prematurity remains the leading cause of death for newborns,

> > > killing more than 10,000 each year. Those who survive have a

> higher

> > > risk of cerebral palsy, mental retardation, poor vision, severe

> acid

> > > reflux, learning disabilities and behavior problems.

> > > Prematurity outpaces autism, which affects 1 in 150 children;

> > multiple

> > > sclerosis, which hits 1 in 700; and Down syndrome, which occurs

> in 1

> > > out of 733.

> > >

> > >

> > > http://tinyurl.com/2ycewx

> > >

> >

>

Maurine: I apologize, as my objective was not to leave you feeling "dumb". I was only trying to inject a bit of humor into this situation, because it is likely that so many of us have been confused about the 40 weeks, and 9 months (which don't easily add up), as I tried to figure that out many times over, before my 5 kids were born. I did find the Ma and Pa Kettle math link I referred to earlier at http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=430860752085769143 , and even though it doesn't directly apply to gestation periods, it is an example of how people may do their "math" a bit differently, and end up with different answers. My husband used to tick me off no end at family parties, by giving folks math questions to test their sobriety. He didn't even know the answers to his own questions, because he had not learned the concept of the order of operations, and was telling people

they were wrong when they were right, and would not listen to me when I tried to explain the answer to him. Aaargh! ! Anyway, I kind of like that Ma and Pa Kettle example of math gone awry. But you have made a good point too, not all kids born before 40 weeks are considered pre-term. I guess it depends a lot on the health, weight, and condition of the baby. The only one of my kids who was born a week and a half before term, which is nothing, happens to be the tallest in the family right now, and has been on the 99th percentile in growth rate since he was an infant. He is taller than all of us, but he cannot decide what he wants to do after secondary school, another major problem, and will be doing another year in secondary to try and figure this out. I hope for all the best for kids who were born prematurely, but I do think their prospects are better now than they were many years ago. I know that for my cousin's son, things went well for

him, and I hope they will also be positive for other children. Aasa Maurine Meleck <maurine_meleck@...> wrote: thanks. i feel kind of dumb, but it still doesn't change the fact that a baby can be born prior to 37 weeks and still not be considered a premie as in my case. maurineAasa <penas7arrogers> wrote: Maurine, 40

weeks does not equal 10 months, necessarily. As you know, there are 12 months in a year and 52 weeks. That means each month is cerca 4 1/3 weeks long. Multiply 4 1/3 by 9 and you will get closer to the 40 weeks. It is still off because some months have 30 days, others 31, and February has even less, if it's included. Do any of you have the link to the quirky Ma and Pa Kettle video where they are trying to explain some math to one of their sons/he was trying to explain it to them? That was hilarious and may be fitting here. Math aside, some extreme preemies do turn out OK. One of my cousin's sons is a case in point. He was born months too early, was in the hospital for many months, and now is a strapping young man with all his wits about him, 18 years later, and doing well. AasaMaurine Meleck <maurine_meleck > wrote: well wait a minute------------------not all babies born before 37 weeks are premature. My daughter was born a month early-at the end of my 8th month(aren't babies in the womb 9 months-? wouldn't 40 weeks make it 10 months?) anyway, she weighed in at 5 pounds at the end of my 8th month and was not considered a premie. Mschaferatsprynet <schafersprynet> wrote: Excerpt from "A Fight for Survival", statesman.com Note the 1981 dateand 30% increase. hmmmm? I think these are CDC numbers, which makesthem a bit dubious. The article doesn't cite source. LennyOne out of eight babies in this country arrives prematurely. That's500,000 infants born before 37 weeks in the womb, a number that hasincreased 30 percent since 1981. And technology is allowing

doctors tosave more of them at an earlier age: Normal gestation is 40 weeks;many babies born at 23 weeks now survive. But prematurity remains the leading cause of death for newborns,killing more than 10,000 each year. Those who survive have a higherrisk of cerebral palsy, mental retardation, poor vision, severe acidreflux, learning disabilities and behavior problems. Prematurity outpaces autism, which affects 1 in 150 children; multiplesclerosis, which hits 1 in 700; and Down syndrome, which occurs in 1out of 733. http://tinyurl.com/2ycewx Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

I was recently told by a friend who is a physician's assistant that

their local OB doesn't accept any pregnant women BEFORE 12 wks. With

my last pregnancy I threatened to miscarry because of lowered

hormones, had to go on progesterone for the first trimester. Imagine

being one of those women. Also, I was on 125 units/daily of insulin by

10 wks from gestational diabetes. Had my OB not delivered my other two

and tested me at 6 wks and refused me for another 1 1/2 mos, my baby

girl might have endured high sugar for the first trimester, not to

mention prenatal vits.

What ever happened to EARLY prenatal care? This trend really bothers

me. I don't know if this is isolated to this rural community or

becoming a nationwide trend. She told me she felt the denial to see

patients was a liability issue, if the woman was a first trimester

miscarrier then he would hold no liability. On the contrary, what

liability does the only OB in a small rural town hold for refusing to

provide this early care?

Debi

>

>

> Wellll....It was roughly 30 years ago it started to become " OK " for

> women past 35-40 to continue to have children - or become pregnant

> for the first time. Now we hardly raise an eyebrow when a sixty-year-

> old has twins! Not only is the older mother factor (preclampsia,

> pregnancy diabetes) playing into the premie births, but the multiple

> births caused by fertility drugs and clinics and the like. And while

> the overall teen birth rate dropped from the mid-90's until recently,

> the economy, lack of health insurance and scarcity of low-cost health

> services mean that the lower middle class and lower class teens who

> find themselves pregnant are the least likely to get needed prenatal

> care.

>

>

" But prematurity remains the leading cause of death for newborns,

reflux, learning disabilities and behavior problems. "

Especially when they are born at 36 weeks, have jaundice, and are injected with

the Hep B

(contraindication with jaundice) and 12.5 micrograms of mercury on the day of

birth!! This

happened to my youngest son....Idiots!

>

It's amazing how they can save preemies now as little as 1 lb. I had

a miscarriage at 5-1/2 months ( 10/18/98) and they

didn't even attempt to save her. Now, I've heard on the news when

they save babies even smaller than she was, and it truly pisses me off.

Of course then I wonder what kind of problems and challenges she would

have been faced with. I suppose everything happens for a reason. I

have to think that or I'd go nuts.

W.

>

> Excerpt from " A Fight for Survival " , statesman.com Note the 1981 date

>

> Lenny

>

> increased 30 percent since 1981. And technology is allowing doctors to

> Prematurity outpaces autism, which affects 1 in 150 children; multiple

> out of 733.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Search.

>

An interesting sidenote: my oldest had to be delivered by emergency C-

section almost 19 years ago. He only weighed 3 lbs. 14 oz., but they

were surprised to see he did not need help breathing. The doctors

said that he was actually passing nutrients, etc. to me at the end

through the cord...

So- all that to say that lung development can't be part of it- his

lungs were fine, but he was certainly a " preemie " . If you Google it,

current thinking anyway seems to say before 37 weeks is a preemie.

Perhaps in the past that was not the case.

>

date

>

> Lenny

>

to

multiple

> out of 733.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Search.

>

You are very right. They count the gestation time from the *start* of

the last menstrual period. So 28 days for an average cycle minus 5

days for the actual menstrual cycle leaves 23 days. Half of that is

11.5 so they take ovulation to occur on day 11 or thereabouts. So

that means that they are off by 11 + 5 days which is 16 days or about

2 weeks. So a full term pregnancy should be 38 weeks (and 2 days less

if you want to get really particular).

Now 1 week on either side of the 38 weeks should be okay, so

therefore the " anytime after 37 weeks is welcome " statement as well

as the upto 39 weeks is okay. Note when it creeps beyond the 39 or

40th week they get really antsy and want to get the baby out ASAP.

When you go 2 weeks out on either side, especially the lower end,

they don't like it too much but you still do come out okay. So 36

weeks are really 34 weeks gestation and there might be some

develomental catching up to do but by age 10-12 you really can't tell.

Makes you wonder about those 28 weekers out there.

Gayatri

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > Excerpt from " A Fight for Survival " , statesman.com Note the

> 1981

> > > date

> > > > and 30% increase. hmmmm? I think these are CDC numbers, which

> > makes

> > > > them a bit dubious. The article doesn't cite source.

> > > >

> > > > Lenny

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > One out of eight babies in this country arrives prematurely.

> > That's

> > > > 500,000 infants born before 37 weeks in the womb, a number

that

> > has

> > > > increased 30 percent since 1981. And technology is allowing

> > doctors

> > > to

> > > > save more of them at an earlier age: Normal gestation is 40

> weeks;

> > > > many babies born at 23 weeks now survive.

> > > > But prematurity remains the leading cause of death for

newborns,

> > > > killing more than 10,000 each year. Those who survive have a

> > higher

> > > > risk of cerebral palsy, mental retardation, poor vision,

severe

> > acid

> > > > reflux, learning disabilities and behavior problems.

> > > > Prematurity outpaces autism, which affects 1 in 150 children;

> > > multiple

> > > > sclerosis, which hits 1 in 700; and Down syndrome, which

occurs

> > in 1

> > > > out of 733.

> > > >

> > > >

> > > > http://tinyurl.com/2ycewx

> > > >

> > >

> >