RemedySpot.com

Re: Pain Meds

Rate this topic

Guest guest

, Ultram is BAD!! DO NOT even go there. If you think you may have a tolerance to Vicodin, it will be triple that with Ultram. Ultram is chemically similar to opoids, although it is not a controlled substance. However, as I have posted before, many states are currently considering Ultram as a Controlled Substance IV due to the bad addiction potential it has and the bad cases of addiction physicians have reported. As is the case with many drugs not considered controlled substances, docs get overly confident and lax in their prescribing of these drugs, i.e., Soma, Flexeril, Baclofen, Ultram, etc. because these drugs aren't considered addictive, and therefore shouldn't be addictive. Key word is SHOULDN'T. As for stopping the Vicodin, you are doing the right things. Taper the dosage slowly. I am not aware of temperature changes that can cause achiness. Do be aware that as you come off the Vicodin that your body will ache more and you can experience more pain. This is due to the fact that your "pain gates" are open (pain gate control theory). This is normal and as your body adjusts to a lower dosage, the achiness and pain will ease. You are just going to be much more sensitive to your pain now that you are coming off the Vicodin. Be sure to drink lots of fluid, and know that you may experience sweating while at the same time having goosebumps, mild nausea, mild abdominal cramping, and insomnia. If you go slow enough, it shouldn't be too bad, if you experience it at all. When I stopped the Vicodin in Oct of 2000, I had only been on it for 4 months, and not regularly, but I had been on the Soma regularly. I stopped everything suddenly (I know, not very bright), and while it wasn't too bad, I did have sweats, goosebumps, and shivering real bad. I had real restless nights and occasional abdominal cramping. It was all gone in a wk, and I worked the whole time, as it really was pretty mild, usually the worst in the morning. As for what to take to help your pain once you're off the Vicodin, I'm not sure. I have had no luck with MSM or malic acid and I have only been taking 800mg ibuprofen ever since I stopped the Vicodin over a yr ago. But it doesn't sound like you tolerate ibuprofen too well. What about Tylenol? Or what about one of the other NSAIDS, or do they all upset your stomach? I took Indocin after my open heart surgery, and it worked real well (not for acute pain). You take it 3x/day. However, it may just be best to see how your pain is without any meds. Maybe you really don't need anything if you're doing so well. And maybe you may be able to just take some Tylenol just when you need it. If you don't need anything, why bother? Hope this helps. e ----- Original Message ----- From: Heer Sent: Wednesday, January 02, 2002 12:19 PM Subject: pain meds Ok I am ready to get myself off the vicodins and now I would love some feedback on the best way to do this, I am tapering at this point and that seems logical, there is no way I can stop cold turkey and I also am going to need to take something in its place cause as I said the pain is bad again...what role does cold and altitude have exactly in pain does anyone here know specifically? I mean even in my 72 degree warm home I am much much more achy here than I was in Northern California so I want to know what that is all about? Is it barometric pressure? I am down from 8 to 6 vicodin right now, and working from there, I have 3 refills left so it is not imperative that I rush to do this, but I want to get off them and see if I can do a thorough flush of my system once this is accomplished. I also want to try to get some other meds to supplement for when I am in pain, I have a good friend who has had multiple back surgeries and takes ultram, I took these before and thought they did nothing but e has said they are bad, the vioxx wasn't helping and the ibuprofen makes my stomach cramp up, so I am just wondering about other ideas. Other than being an achy girl I am well, my main symptom gone seemingly and totally completely. I take all the supplements that are good, but these do not seem to provide any real pain relief, though I do take them consistently, MSM glucosamine, malic acid, etc etc.... Locking for ideas. Thanks,

• 5 months later...
Guest guest

Hi Gloria and everyone...

I was back in the hospital last week from Monday thru Thursday, the pyroderma gangrenosum flared up and the infections were/are horrid...I'm home on IV anti biotics Vancomycin 1250 3 times a day and and Primaxin 4 times a day as infusions and take life and the pain one hour at a time...Gloria, for me with my RA as well as other painful blessing (said sarcastic) I am on Percocet 10/350 mg, oxycotin 20 mg and demerol ..Some say we will become addicted but I beleive if pain pills are taken for the pain and not for the heck of it, addiction is unlikely..Then again, with so much pain at this point, addiction is the least of my concerns..My prayers are with you and hope you find relief soon...My heart goes out to each and everyone of you, we are all strangers but we are all family joined by a horrible affliction arthritis and pain

Be Well All

Anne

Guest guest

Have you asked your doctor about biologics?

http://www.KineretRX.com

http://www.Enbrel.com

http://www.Remicade.com

On 6/25/02 9:31 PM, " gloriarex@... " <gloriarex@...> wrote:

Hi Everyone:

I was diagnosed a few months ago and am on the usual meds: Prednisone (5 mg),

Methotrexate, Plaquenil and Neoral (cyclosporine). I take Darvocet everyday,

but I still have terrific pain. I've tried Vicodin and Ultram, both of which

don't really help the pain, but do put me to sleep. Has anyone tried anything

else they can recommend?

Thanks

gloria

Guest guest

Hi Gloria,

Sorry that you have been diagnosed with this horrible disease. I am currently on methotrexate injections, folic acid, bextra & ultracet. The ultracet is a combination of ultram & an acetaminophen is what the pharmacist explained to me. I have been on most pain meds and none of them really helped much. The ultracet and the bextra - which is an anti-inflammatory(NSAID)- combo have really helped take the edge off of the pain. I just have to say that personally I have never been completely out of pain. Unfortunately I have not found that wonder drug that takes it all away. My rheumy has told me that with disease you will be lucky if you are ever completely out of pain, that there is always some pain. Fortunately this combination of meds has done a world of good for me and I have been able to function. I hope that you will be able to find the right combination for you.

Good Luck & God Bless, Barbara

gloriarex@... wrote: Hi Everyone:I was diagnosed a few months ago and am on the usual meds: Prednisone (5 mg), Methotrexate, Plaquenil and Neoral (cyclosporine). I take Darvocet everyday, but I still have terrific pain. I've tried Vicodin and Ultram, both of which don't really help the pain, but do put me to sleep. Has anyone tried anything else they can recommend?Thanksgloria

Guest guest

thanks to all who answered my question about pain meds. i will be checking them

all out as soon as I return from my trip. For now, I have increased my

prednisone to 10mg and I can walk again. So simple, although not the way i

wanted to go.

gloria

Guest guest

Hello everyone I have not been here for quite sometime I sure hope

everyone is doing well. for me, I guess like most people in the group

are still feeling a little pain. I have been o.k. for sometime since

the weather has been dry and the heat still helps the pain except

when it rains. I guess we all predict when it rains when we start to