RemedySpot.com

Testosterone supplementation methods- Comments from people

Rate this topic

Guest guest

These are comments generated in the survey I posted two weeks ago. Thanks to all that participated. My comments after a few of them....

Displaying 1 - 66 of 66 responses

<< Prev

Next >>

Jump

Go >>

Comment Text

Response Date

I had some gain in muscle mass. I want to use it again, after I have been exercising faithfully again for one month. Returning to New Orleans upset my exercise routing.

Tue, 1/15/08 9:42 PM

I got shots every other week until Androgel came out. I used it for a long period when I was on private health insurance. Then when I went on Medicare part D it wasn't covered and I went back to shots. Last year I went back on my ex- partners insurance and returned to using Androgel. My doctor just switched me to Testim to see if I would get better levels of testosterone. I have only been on it less than a week and I am using twice the normal prescription as I did with Androgel. Again I am back on Medicare part D and the doctor is trying to get it to cover Testim which of course is not on their formulary. Hopefully my next blood test will show improved levels of testosterone.

Tue, 1/15/08 8:44 PM

There are small areas on my arm and shoulder that itches, I suspect, from the use of androgel. I now avoid applying androgel to these small areas

Tue, 1/15/08 8:43 PM

I use Androgel. It seems to work fine for me -- I use the pump. I also have the packets for when I travel. The problem is that I sometimes forget to apply the gel, and it just get's to be a drag to have to do this every morning. A shot would be better, but I like the "regularity" of the daily gel to keep my T level more stable. My understanding is that the shots have a rise/peak/fall response. It would be good to have something that you do less regularly than once/day but keeps your T level fairly constant over a long period of time.

Tue, 1/15/08 4:34 PM

I am a female, I don't think that I have to use testosterone.

Tue, 1/15/08 10:53 AM

I have only just started using testosterone in the past 3 weeks, and I haven't had a follow-up with my doctor yet, so it is still too early I think to give any meaningful insight; I am taking the Androgel Gel twice per day-

Tue, 1/15/08 10:05 AM

I have been using Androgel consistently for over a year now. I am satisfied with the results so much I am afraid to stop using it. Muscle tone and energy is excellent. ly, I've always have been a big gym rat so it's difficult to say how much improvement is the result of the testosterone or my own efforts and/or the benefits of the antivirals.

Mon, 1/14/08 11:29 PM

I have been self-injecting testosterone weekly for about 8 years. I believe it has helped me with depression, energy and restored some lost libido (which makes me feel 'alive' again). The shots are a bit of a pain but I found I like the results best from that delivery method.

Sat, 1/12/08 11:54 AM

I have used testosterone for quite a long time. 1cc every week. I also try to combine a shot of B12. Both I administer by injection myself. I notice that testosterone keeps me from getting depressed. Although I take an antidepressant, I know by my mood whether I need to give myself an injection. I use to use a 1cc shot of nandralone as well, but since it is no longer being made I have not used any other anabolic steroids. The testosterone does mess with my testicles a bit, making them tight. I am now 52 years old and I think men over 40 years old should take replacement therapy. I am very happy with the vigar it has given me. The one thing I learned is don't let these doctors tell you what a normal testosterone level is; I don't think that from what I have read, that they have been able to establish it.

Fri, 1/11/08 5:03 PM

Had shots, now Androgel. Helps with fatigue and since I work out, must help maintain muscle

Fri, 1/11/08 2:36 PM

I would not be alive today if something like testosterone injections did not exist to pull me out of the HIV freefall into which I was falling. Life is a lot better with energy, strength, and concentration!

Fri, 1/11/08 1:30 PM

Hi and Happy New Year for starters, Well, my experience with Testosterone Shots has been like a roller coaster of different types of side effects, to include "Testicular Atrophy", enlarge prostate, and the developement of various tiny lumps within my right testicle(Thank God, they are not malignant), although when I masturbate, my right testicle hurts for days.....My Doctor is aware and ordered some test, which are pending. My testosterone shot were prescribed as; 200mgs IM every week....I'm concern that this dosage is too much/high for me, and will express my concern to my Doctor on my next appointment. What do you think about this dosage, ? Almost forgot to mention that I have the "Novel Shape" lipodistrophy on my upper torso, with a huge "Buffalo Hump", this emerged 2 months after I began using Testosterone shots,...before then, I was on my Cocktails and everything was within normal limits w/o any lipodistrophy and or side effects.....can the testosterone shots have something to do with my lipodistrophy? Thank You for your concern and for your contributions towards HIV/Aids and for helping so many people, May God Bless You Always, ...GRACIAS!

NELSON: 200 MG A WEEK MAY BE HIGH. THE DOSE SHOULD BE ADJUSTED DEPENDING ON YOUR BLOOD LEVELS AND QUALITY OF LIFE. THE FAT PROBLEM YOU ARE TAKING ABOUT COULD BE DUE TO ESTROGEN FORMATION, HAVE YOUR DOCTOR CHECK ESTRADIOL LEVELS TO SEE. SOME PEOPLE HAVE TO TAKE ARIMIDEX TO COUNTER THAT PROBLEM. EMAIL ME FOR MORE DETAILS

Fri, 1/11/08 12:27 PM

i'm currently on 200mg/wk of testosterone cypionate and 200mg week nandrolone decanoate. i have used testim and androgel in the past, androgel was too sticky all day and testim wqas INSANELY sticky all day and smelled like real cheap cologne. i would prefer less frequent shots if they came up with a longer half-life testosterone, but i aint doing pellets. the shots are vastly more convenient, ive gotten better results, and they're a time saver. my quality of life, energy level and mood have improved greatly since replacement therapy.

Fri, 1/11/08 11:08 AM

i discovered my testosterone had collapsed about a year ago when i started losing muscle, gaining even more fat around my middle fast, my hair was thinning (noticed by my barber), terrible dandruff, my skin was dry, toes and fingers cracked, mood low, no libido, dreadful diarrhea every other day and i could barely make it through the week at work i had so little energy. (if i don't work i don't get paid, so taking time off is not an option. i work through the flu while my neg colleagues are off for a week) because i have a fatty liver my doc refused to give me testosterone as he said it would only make the liver worse. i fought with him for months as i was near suicidal, i knew i couldn't carry on like this. because of my lack of lebido my partner started fucking around and we have since split up. total nightmare really. my doc eventually agreed to let me have a low dose of testim, understanding a balance had to be made. it immediately lifted my spirits and gave me energy and a sex drive, (not that i could use it looking the way i did). i have since added 50mg of deca once a week, behind my docs back, bringing me up to 75mg a week, as i take half a tube a day of gel now. (most guys take at least 100mg or more). it feels right for me. my liver hasn't overreacted, my skin hasn't broken out. i'm working out 4-5 times a week, muscle is coming back and just everything is worth living for again. i get good comments from other guys again now though i'm still battling against my belly fat which i absolutley hate. i've learned over the yrs (diagnosed in '91) that you have to take your own decisions over your health. if my doc doesn't like the fact i'm taking deca, tough!

NELSON: TESTOSTERONE GELS WILL NOT "SCREW UP " YOUR LIVER. HAVE YOUR DOCTOR PRESCRIBE THE NORMAL DOSE OF ANDROGEL, TESTIM, OR COMPOUNDED GEL

Fri, 1/11/08 9:13 AM

I only get 1 cc a month, so by the second week it's already worn off. I would like something more constant

NELSON: THAT IS NOT ENOUGH. THE STANDARD DOSE IS 200 MG (1 CC) EVERY TWO WEEKS, OR A 1% GEL ONCE A DAY

Thu, 1/10/08 11:09 PM

Use the weekly shot. Makes all the difference in the world. I was using 2 packets of Androgel a day, and my tesotsterone levels went up from 200 to 400. Not much. The shots, 200mg of Enenthate (sp), help tremendously. More energy, more muscle mass (I work out 5 days a week), more stamina, better mood, better temper, much less depression.

NELSON: YOU COULD ALSO TRY THE 10% GEL FROM COMPOUNDERS

Thu, 1/10/08 6:53 PM

depo-testosterone, 100 mg once a week IM - has worked wonders in increasing and maintaining lean muscle mass. Added benefit of feeling hornier and able to do something about it.

Thu, 1/10/08 12:51 AM

AndroGel 1%, 1 packet 5GM daily. Easy to use by spreading gel on the stomach every morning. No side effects whatsoever. Normal testosterone level checked periodically. Regular gym workouts increase natural testosterone level. Sexual function satisfactory. Normal prostate condition. I see my doctor every three months for tests. I'm in excellent health in all aspects of physical and mental conditions. Spirituality in check for a real great pleasure with simple and joyful living. Nutritional values to keep the engine working well. No complaints of any kind.

Wed, 1/9/08 9:54 PM

I started with shots every two weeks, but the ups and downs were too dramatic. I was worried I would really hurt someone or myself with the rages I felt. The patches were much better for consistent dosage, but I developed a rash that got worse. I used the gel for two years, but moved to a warm climate and the sweat seemed to interfere with absorption. Now I give myself a shot once a week, about .6 ml. It works pretty well, but I sometimes hit a nerve or get bruises. I don't get the extreme adrenaline surges I got the first year. I have been using testosterone supplements for about six years now.

Wed, 1/9/08 11:46 AM

androgel seems to work just fine easy to use much better than the patch which cause very bad skin irritation

Wed, 1/9/08 9:35 AM

Exogenous testosterone saved my life. I was so depressed and having constant panic attacks. Then I found out my testosterone level was 10 (Normal >300) With my first injection, these symptoms abated and never returned. My energy level returned to normal as did my libido. My lipid profile actually improved and my PSA has remained normal on testosterone.

Wed, 1/9/08 8:19 AM

I love Androgel, it is the best so far

Tue, 1/8/08 10:25 PM

i used to do shots once a week or 10 days. at worst it was once every 2 weeks. I have been on testosterone therapy for about 7 -8 yrs. I stopped doing shots about a year and 1/2 ago and went to the gel so i would get a steady daily dose and not get hormone "rushes" that sometimes influenced my behavior in a negative way. Anger, aggression, moodiness. Testim gel has been a little difficulct to get used to for me. Now I just put in on anytime before i go to bed. It's the only medicine I'm not concerned about missing a day once in a while. You only need to leave it on for 2 hrs to take effect, so you can put in on as soon as you wake up and shower it off if you enjoy a leisurely morning routine. I love the idea of sublingual (under the tongue) if that product is available, please let me know.

Tue, 1/8/08 9:56 PM

I used to get testosterone injections once a week, but my estrodiol levels were too high, so now I get pellets implanted by Dr. Savage, Chicago, Ill. This has seemed to work much better for me and I feel great. The downside of this is this method is not covered by insurance,(medicare), and with all the blood work, urine testing, and cost to implant the pellets, its very expensive, averaging $1000. every 4 months or so. My body tends to use lots of testosterone as well, so I have found I have to have this done slightly more often. Also, as someone with very little subcutaneous fat, its very dificult for my doctor to find a place with a little bit of fat to insert the pellets. The upside of this though is that for that reason, it forces me to increase my calorie intake and pay more attention to my weight and try to increase my body fat/muscle ratio.

Tue, 1/8/08 7:32 PM

Have used testosterone injections for about 10 years. Began at age 47. Current age 57. Initially began 1ml weekly.Positive results in mood,energy, appetite & muscle gain were incredible. Testosterone serum increased steadily over the years to about 880 2 years or so ago. At that time reduced to 1ml every other week. At some point in past tried Androgel. This method was very ineffective for me. In a few weeks experienced decrease energy, stamina, appetite. Became weepy/tearful at times. Current testosterone serum upper side of acceptable range.

Tue, 1/8/08 6:50 PM

Have used injections and Striant. So far, Striant is working very well.

Tue, 1/8/08 6:06 PM

I am pleased with the results; however, not real happy with two of the side effects: 1. Mild head and body hair loss, and 2. Ball shrinkage.

Tue, 1/8/08 4:27 PM

I had used injectable for many years, then Testim and now Androgel (change due to my local ADAP no longer carrying Testim). I far prefer Androgel to Testim as it is easier to apply and much less sticky on the skin: very important in Florida's humidity. I wish I would have known years ago and switched then. These were always provided by either my private insurer (Medicare Advantage plan) or ADAP, although ADAP requires testosterone level lab results every 8 weeks and regular visits with a nutritionist. For me the difference is night and day, with testosterone my sex drive returned, my mood and energy levels improved and I feel like a normal human being again. I have never had problems with PSA levels or prostate enlargement or a too high HGB or HCT. I do have a 13 year history of anal cancer and recently, squamous cell ca of the gums/jaw, but these are believed to be HPV related. I had used Deca-Durabolin for a few years but developed pulmonary hypertension and an enlarged left ventricle which were believed to be caused by that particular steroid. I stopped the Deca immediately and the cardiovascular problems resolved over 2-3 years and I now have a normal EKG again on testosterone replacement therapy only.

Tue, 1/8/08 4:24 PM

I use androgel. I've been on it for several years now and it seems to be working. I noticed a big difference when I started using it with increased energy levels but then it sort of leveled off. I believe my consistent use has helped me maintain my body weight and muscles, but it doesn't really make me "feel" any different anymore.

Tue, 1/8/08 3:28 PM

I started with Androgel and noticed a definite improvement in getting abck energy I had lost. Unfortunately I was getting sever break outs of ance so stopped that and went to Testim. The Testim was not as good at energy replacement but the side effects were also not as severe. My doctor felt I no longer needer the supplements so I am off them now.

Tue, 1/8/08 3:02 PM

I have been using Androgel for the past couple years. Prior to that, I was on Androderm. Slathering the gel on every day (or every other day) isn't that difficult. The strong alcohol smell however is a bit much.

Tue, 1/8/08 1:15 PM

I have had an good increase in my energy level, but I'm not sure that the side-effects of fat gain in my pectoral region is worth it.

NELSON: YOU MAY BE SUFFERING FROM GYNECOMASTIA RELATED TO ESTROGEN FORMATION. SOME MEN ARE MORE PRONE THAN OTHERS TO HAVE THIS. ARIMIDEX SEEMS TO HELP WITH THIS BY BLOCKING ESTROGEN PRODUCTION

Tue, 1/8/08 12:53 PM

I liked the boost in energy and muscle mass, but side effects became a problem, especially acne and moodiness.

NELSON: YOU MAY WANT TO TRY A LOWER DOSE

Tue, 1/8/08 12:46 PM

Testim. More sexual urges but that had not really been a problem. More musculature, but that had not really been a problem. Better outlook, which had been a problem, but also quicker to anger under treatment. Wanted to loose visceral, truncal fat. Had some effect but also lost limb fat, which is why I discontinued. Thanks for all you do, . More benefit is gained from this group than you can imagine. We don't all "respond," as you might like, but that anonymity is what is appealing to many.

NELSON: THANKS A LOT. THIS SURVEY SYSTEM IS REALLY GREAT TO LEARN FROM EACH OTHER AND STILL REMAIN UNDER ANONYMITY.

Tue, 1/8/08 12:32 PM

For a long time I got injections every two weeks. Depending on the skill of the nurse they ranged from extremely painful to painful. And as much as the high points following the injections were pleasurable, the lows around the time of the next injection were not. I use Androgel now and much prefer it for the ease of use, no pain involved in its administration, and it provides a much more stable level of testosterone supplementation. I would never go back to injections by choice.

Tue, 1/8/08 12:25 PM

Shots added bulk and weight with intense weight training. Made me extremely horny and productive with repest to ejaculate material all the while shrinking my testicles. It also increased visceral fat with weight gain and emotionally "charged". I'm now off the injections and of the Androgel patch. Have returned to nomal libido and not crazy.

Tue, 1/8/08 12:17 PM

Although I have had good experiences with gels, I am for various reasons (mostly financial) using T cypionate 2x/week subq. Subq injection is not such a new idea as some people think, and maintains more stable T levels than 1x/week intramuscular injection. Also, because a smaller amount is injected at a time, there is less tendency for aromatization to E2. Dr. Eugene Shippen, with whom I still consult, recommends this method above all others and in fact uses it himself.

Tue, 1/8/08 12:08 PM

They don't subscribe testostrone to black men...prostate problem???????

NELSON: WHAT? NEVER HEARD OF THIS. i HOPE YOUR DOCTOR DID NOT TELL YOU THIS

Tue, 1/8/08 11:42 AM

Testim. I think I am using this as a consequence of taking the anabolic steroid, Nandralone.

Tue, 1/8/08 10:55 AM

I have used several forms of testosterone with good results. I had to stop when my ALT/AST got very high, probably from an oral form of testosterone that I bought in Thailand.

NELSON: NEVER USE ORAL TESTOSTERONE

Tue, 1/8/08 10:21 AM

I have used testosterone replacement for years. First injections and later gel - which I currently use. I was underperscribed for many years and continued to suffer with chronic depression and no labido. A couple of years ago, a dr. finally adjusted my dose (doubled it) and now I have much more motivation and the depression is better for the first time in 10 years. The only side effect I have suffered is atrophy of the testes. However, I use a vacuum pump on them once a week and they are now bigger than ever.

NELSON: SOME MEN USE HCG TO GET THEIR TESTICLES BIGGER. IT WORKS BUT THE EFFECT DISAPPEARS ONCE YOU GET ON TESTOSTERONE AGAIN. SOME STAY ON LONG TERM LOW DOSE HCG, BUT ARE HAVING PROBLEMS GETTING INSURANCE TO PAY FOR IT

Tue, 1/8/08 10:14 AM

Gels get sticky at times, injections hurt and can bruise, and then there is the dreaded testicle shrinkage. So I drudgingly continue with the shots and hope my body doesn't someday forget how to make some testosterone on its own.

Tue, 1/8/08 9:39 AM

I use Testagel and its wonderful.....easy to apply, dries on quickly and the effect....I feel like a man again...

Tue, 1/8/08 9:17 AM

I feel less tired....it also seems good for my head.

Tue, 1/8/08 8:56 AM

adherence is my main problem

Tue, 1/8/08 8:14 AM

I like having to only do the shot once per week. The gel is hard to remember to use every day. Especially when out of town.

Tue, 1/8/08 8:09 AM

Weekly injections of 1/2 to 3/4 cc's. I prefer some other method, but I've gotten used to giving myself shots. I definitely notice more energy, more vitality, increased sexual desires and muscle maintenance, if not increase, from weight lifting. Never had mood swings that I've noticed. I wish it were covered by insurance; don't understand that.

NELSON: MOST INSURANCE COMPANIES COVER SHOTS. I WONDER WHY YOURS DOES NOT

Tue, 1/8/08 7:30 AM

I administer the shots myself. My state's adap does not cover androgel so I pay for the injections myself through my insurance. Because of the "donut hole in medicare" I cannot afford the androgel myself...thanks to congress. I inject 1/2 cc each week; the usual dosage is 1cc every two weeks. I have found there is too much up and downs with the usual regime. My doctors concurr. I have no prostrate problems...psa or digital and its rather small according to my doctor. I work out a a gym 5 days a week and am in terrific shape. If I didn't have this supplement, I would loose weight and have no energy.

Tue, 1/8/08 7:20 AM

I stopped using it for two reasons. 1) I didn´t notice any really noticeable benefits for me, 2) I know that adding external Testosterone signals yous testicles to produce less of the natural one, so I have always been concerned about this fact. This second reason has been the main one for me to stop using it.

Tue, 1/8/08 5:22 AM

I use testim 50 mg daily and i'm super happy with it. Adrogel seemes to peak out and cease to be effective, plus my insurance has Testim on their formulary so it's a lower co-pay. I've had no negative side effects so far.

Tue, 1/8/08 5:07 AM

YES, MY PRIMARY DOCTOR DID A TEST ON MY BLOOD... WHICH INDICATED, THAT I TO HAVE THE TESTOSTERONE PATCH... SINCE I HAVE BEEN USING THE PATCH MY TESTOSTERONE IS TESTING AT A GOOD LEVEL... I KEEP THE PATCHES ON THE TABLE BY MY BED AND I PUT A NEW ONE ON EACH NIGHT, BEFORE GOING TO BED.....

Tue, 1/8/08 4:04 AM

#4 Did not include "My levels returned to normal"

Tue, 1/8/08 3:25 AM

it worries me that it may contribute to lipo

Tue, 1/8/08 2:31 AM

Against medical advice I have tried testosterone injections and have noticed an increase in my energy, sexual libido, and appetite. I exercise a lot and combined with the injections gave a subtle enhancement when I was seeing very little. This could be from increased diet, or more energy to workout more, or perhaps from the hormonal change. It's not something that I will continue on a regular basis because of the lack of medical advisement, but here and there it works great.

Tue, 1/8/08 1:40 AM

it increased my energy level.

Tue, 1/8/08 1:22 AM

I have a fast metabolism I see effects within 20 minutes after injection. I can keep getting erections up to 3 weeks but seem to lose interest if I do not get a shot every 2 weeks. It would be nice to have something more longterm like pellets. But I am ok with shots they work good for me. Testicle shrinkage is pretty severe though due to use of the shots

Tue, 1/8/08 1:17 AM

It seems to help in terms of getting erections and experiencing orgasm in the face of diabetic ED.

Tue, 1/8/08 12:32 AM

I would do sublingual products over shots, but I always assumed they don't work. I prefer the shots because the gels are too messy and the patches are unsightly and break me out. Unlike many people, I do not experience mood swings or intense hornyness after the shot.

Tue, 1/8/08 12:21 AM

I started testosterone by using the patch on both arms then switched to the gel when ADAP would help in paying for gel version. It helped with my energy level but did not decrease my Lypodystrophy alot. I did get some muscle mass but couldn't keep, even with exercise. It caused an increase in my H & H and I decreased dosage to one pack a day. I have stopped using it over the past month. It also makes me feel bad now.

Tue, 1/8/08 12:09 AM

I have tried both injection and gel. I perferred injections. Gels are too messy and did not rasie my testosterone level to normal levels. My health insurance will not pay for injections, so I pay for injectable testosterone out of pocket, but its worth every penny to me.

Mon, 1/7/08 11:30 PM

I use Androgel. It's very convenient, dries quickly, and has no fragrance. It's done a good job of keeping my testosterone at a normal level. I used to get a shot every two weeks, but I found it very inconvenient, since I got it my doctor's office (which also involved a co-pay for the treatment).

Mon, 1/7/08 11:19 PM

keeping my T level fairly even works the best for me, so the shots every 2 weeks had too many peaks and valleys. The gel is super easy, and I haven't tried the sublingual form but would like to. I've worked in the field of HIV for over 20 yrs - prevention, education, testing, drug treatment, mental health, and services for poz folks; and I believe that keeping T levels up is very important to our overall health. I always inform my clients about it's importance and encourage them to have a talk with their Dr about it.

Mon, 1/7/08 11:08 PM

I didn't enjoy the mood swings from peak-to-trough when getting twice monthly injections, and had a $14 copay for each injection. About a year ago the Testim gel became available free-of-charge through my state's drug assistance program. I didn't notice any improvement in my energy level until about two months later, and even then it was slight. Over a year later I can certainly say it has increased my libido from non-existent to normal. I still struggle with weight-loss issues. Recent bloodwork shows normal PSA levels (50 year old). I very much wished that testosterone supplimentation was the "magic bullet" for my struggles with weight-loss, fatigue and libido, but for now I'm glad it resolved the libido-deficit and has helped the fatigue somewhat.

Mon, 1/7/08 11:05 PM

I used injected testosterone, but because I was not keeping to a good workout regime, I stopped using it. My testo level's have returned to the low side of normal.....I feel OK

Mon, 1/7/08 10:59 PM

Androgel 1%. Used it every day initially, and it changed a lot of things. Met my last lover shortly after I started using it about 6 years ago. I have increased alertness, energy, libido, and get lasting results from weight training and swimming at age 54. I did have some problems with thinning hair on my head, increased hair on my body, and acne on my back (some hot flashes too) - no shrinking of testicles. Spread use out to once every other day or so, and haven't had recurrence of side effects. My testosterone is holding in high-normal range for several years now. I've hoarded a bit, since I'm afraid insurance will stop paying for it any minute with the bad name testosterone is getting in the press.

Mon, 1/7/08 10:54 PM

160 mg bid. Present blood level on the high end of normal. Been on the same regimen for over a decade. no side effects that I can tell.

NELSON: TWICE A DAY?

Mon, 1/7/08 10:35 PM

Regards, Vergelpowerusa dot orgStart the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.