RemedySpot.com

RE: spiro side affects

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Sounds like low K to me if u are having muscle cramps. But u have ur own team there to take are of problems that may or may not be relatD to PA. PLEASE check with them as they know u best. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Jul 13, 2012, at 23:50, catherinekerth1 <catherinekerth@...> wrote:

ok. i know i sound crazy but i am in a lot of pain right now and a little confirmation would be great to hear from you guys.

i think i threw out my back and the timing of beginning my spiro 25mg and lisinopril 10mg is just a funky coincidence. (began it tuesday night)

it started out as normal lower back pain, i've had before sometimes after running... buts its steadily compounded in the past two days and now i am in the most intense pain... its making my hamstrings go numb in both legs and i have calf muscle spasms in my legs.. the pain is so uncomfortable and intense i feel a bit nauseated and have frequent hot flashes..

i am having abdominal cramping b/c of constipation as well...

its really gotten worse this evening...

i've never thrown my back out before, but i've seen my husband suffer several times from it. my back does spasm when i move certin ways...

please tell me it has nothing to do with side effects of the new medicines i am taking.

catherine

38 yrs

aldo 30 (?-28)

renin .38 (.25-5.89)

ratio 78.9 (.9-28.9)

Spiro 25mg

lisinopril 10mg

CT scan normal

Saline suppression 8am 9ng/l- noon 4ng/l (on nifedipine and bystolic when test was performed)

K- (3.2 thru 4.0) 3.2 was when i was training for half marathon.... 4.0 was with very little running for a few months...

K-only low if I start to run or exercise vigorously. so i have shortened mileage and slowed pace a great deal to compensate. (a work in progress)

BP avg 140-160's/80-100's on a good day ;)

Guest guest

Now let's think about why u might get low K when running. Assume u sweat when u run. Sweat comes from glands that look a bit like ren tubules. A. Rucu survival in the heat mechanism involves the following.Sweat contains Na and K. When in the heat or running salt is lost in the sweat. The body volume control system says: I need to put out less salt in my sweat or I will die. Renin goes up Aldo goes up. Aldo acts on MCRs in sweat glands, kidneys bowels and saliva and tears. The causes the increased reabsorption of Na from sweat. So u lose less salt unless you exercise/sweat a lot. When Na is sucked in from sweat K goes out to maintain electrical neutrality ( Na+ in and K+ out into sweat). So having PA IS LIKE being heat adapted all the time and Aldo changes the N/K in sweat so u lose more K. Wala! Low K.Stop running/sweating and K loss declines and K goes back up. Has it been hot where u are over last few weeks? Sweating a lot. Get K checked today would be good or DASH to the max to get K up. Relay this to your team for their edification. When I worked in Conn's lab we looked at testing the sweat NA/K as a s reening test by putting people in a hot box and collecting sweat in a rubber glove. Also looked at saliva Na/K but to much variation then. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Jul 13, 2012, at 23:50, catherinekerth1 <catherinekerth@...> wrote:

ok. i know i sound crazy but i am in a lot of pain right now and a little confirmation would be great to hear from you guys.

i think i threw out my back and the timing of beginning my spiro 25mg and lisinopril 10mg is just a funky coincidence. (began it tuesday night)

it started out as normal lower back pain, i've had before sometimes after running... buts its steadily compounded in the past two days and now i am in the most intense pain... its making my hamstrings go numb in both legs and i have calf muscle spasms in my legs.. the pain is so uncomfortable and intense i feel a bit nauseated and have frequent hot flashes..

i've never thrown my back out before, but i've seen my husband suffer several times from it. my back does spasm when i move certin ways...

please tell me it has nothing to do with side effects of the new medicines i am taking.

catherine

38 yrs

aldo 30 (?-28)

renin .38 (.25-5.89)

ratio 78.9 (.9-28.9)

Spiro 25mg

lisinopril 10mg

CT scan normal

Saline suppression 8am 9ng/l- noon 4ng/l (on nifedipine and bystolic when test was performed)

K- (3.2 thru 4.0) 3.2 was when i was training for half marathon.... 4.0 was with very little running for a few months...

K-only low if I start to run or exercise vigorously. so i have shortened mileage and slowed pace a great deal to compensate. (a work in progress)

Guest guest

Thank you so much for explaining that to me I really appreciate it. I tried reading about it online but I had to specific questions and dealing with PA..... only a doctor as familiar as yourself could put it a way I get it.... I am copying this and adding it to word document I have put together for my personal info and reminders.my doctors want me to keep exercising but I think I need to find a better outlet until we get me more regulated. Beginning to really understand my lifestyle will be very different for now on.To: hyperaldosteronism From: lowerbp2@...Date: Sat, 14 Jul 2012 09:45:24 -0500Subject: Re: spiro side affects

Now let's think about why u might get low K when running. Assume u sweat when u run. Sweat comes from glands that look a bit like ren tubules. A. Rucu survival in the heat mechanism involves the following.Sweat contains Na and K. When in the heat or running salt is lost in the sweat. The body volume control system says: I need to put out less salt in my sweat or I will die. Renin goes up Aldo goes up. Aldo acts on MCRs in sweat glands, kidneys bowels and saliva and tears. The causes the increased reabsorption of Na from sweat. So u lose less salt unless you exercise/sweat a lot. When Na is sucked in from sweat K goes out to maintain electrical neutrality ( Na+ in and K+ out into sweat). So having PA IS LIKE being heat adapted all the time and Aldo changes the N/K in sweat so u lose more K. Wala! Low K.Stop running/sweating and K loss declines and K goes back up. Has it been hot where u are over last few weeks? Sweating a lot. Get K checked today would be good or DASH to the max to get K up. Relay this to your team for their edification. When I worked in Conn's lab we looked at testing the sweat NA/K as a s reening test by putting people in a hot box and collecting sweat in a rubber glove. Also looked at saliva Na/K but to much variation then. May your pressure be low!CE Grim MS, MDSpecializing in DifficultHypertensionOn Jul 13, 2012, at 23:50, catherinekerth1 <catherinekerth@...> wrote:

catherine

38 yrs

aldo 30 (?-28)

renin .38 (.25-5.89)

ratio 78.9 (.9-28.9)

Spiro 25mg

lisinopril 10mg

CT scan normal

Guest guest

Hey , I just thought of something. When I took spiro briefly last

summer, I had to take additional K supplements at the same time. Spiro made me

start sweating profusely (off spiro, when I still had the tumor, I never felt or

saw any sweat come out of my body, ever - just stinky potassium-loss body odor

when it got hot!). So since, like me, it sounds like you are pretty active, you

may want to run the possibility of monitoring K really closely and supplementing

accordingly past your medical team.

Between my initial diagnosis and my adrenalectomy, my doctor had me come in to

check my K weekly. Yes, weekly!

Hope that helps. The back pain you are describing made me think " low K " as well.

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> ok. i know i sound crazy but i am in a lot of pain right now and a

little confirmation would be great to hear from you guys.

>

> i think i threw out my back and the timing of beginning my spiro 25mg and

lisinopril 10mg is just a funky coincidence. (began it tuesday night)

>

>

>

> it started out as normal lower back pain, i've had before sometimes after

running... buts its steadily compounded in the past two days and now i am in the

most intense pain... its making my hamstrings go numb in both legs and i have

calf muscle spasms in my legs.. the pain is so uncomfortable and intense i feel

a bit nauseated and have frequent hot flashes..

>

> i am having abdominal cramping b/c of constipation as well...

>

> its really gotten worse this evening...

>

>

>

> i've never thrown my back out before, but i've seen my husband suffer several

times from it. my back does spasm when i move certin ways...

>

>

>

> please tell me it has nothing to do with side effects of the new medicines i

am taking.

>

>

>

> catherine

>

> 38 yrs

>

> aldo 30 (?-28)

>

> renin .38 (.25-5.89)

>

> ratio 78.9 (.9-28.9)

>

> Spiro 25mg

>

> lisinopril 10mg

>

> CT scan normal

>

> Saline suppression 8am 9ng/l- noon 4ng/l (on nifedipine and bystolic when test

was performed)

>

> K- (3.2 thru 4.0) 3.2 was when i was training for half marathon.... 4.0 was

with very little running for a few months...

>

> K-only low if I start to run or exercise vigorously. so i have shortened

mileage and slowed pace a great deal to compensate. (a work in progress)

>

> BP avg 140-160's/80-100's on a good day ;)

>