> loss of strength. I've read that this is a side effect of statin

drugs.

> When we asked the Dr. about it she ran blood tests and said that he

> didn't have high enough levels in his blood to cause problems. Yet,

he

> HAS problems.

>

> Has this happened to anyone else? My husband drives truck and is in

> constant pain. Is there any alternatives to the statins?

>

> Mrs. Girouard

>

I had similar problems when I was on lipitor. My hands lost a lot of strength and my pinkies and ring fingers were numb all of the time.I was only on lipitor for about 4 weeks until the side effects became too much to handle.Gradually, my hand strength came back. I measured my progress by squeezing medium sized binder clips. I was amazed at how weak my fingers were, but eventually most, if not all, of my strength came back.I've been off lipitor for about 3 months. Nearly all of the side effects have left, except for some numbness in my left pinky and ring finger.G Girouard <Akeeperathome@...> wrote: My husband is on lovastatin. He has sharp pain in his upper bicep with loss of strength. I've read that this is a side effect of statin drugs. When we asked the Dr. about it she ran blood tests and said that he didn't have high enough levels in his blood to cause problems. Yet, he HAS problems. Has this happened to anyone else? My husband drives truck and is in constant pain. Is there any alternatives to the statins? Mrs. Girouard

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Mrs. Girouard - sorry to hear about this. You should know that patients only have about a 1-2% of avoiding a heart attack - and get this - IF and only IF they have heart disease, have had a heart attack, or have multiple risk factors like smoking, high blood pressure. That is the group that the tests were done on that showed ANY positive results. The 30% reduction in heart attacks is just a misleading use of percentages, which should be criminal. Please note that most statin ads contain the phrase "(whatever drug) has not been shown to prevent heart disease or heart attacks" Did you see the word "not?". Can you believe that? That is because they dont. They only help, and barely help, those with existing disease as I mentioned above. The statins also deplete one of the most important enzymes that your heart muscles need, but all other muscles too. thats why if you have new muscle

pain, your muscles could be dying and you could do lots of damage to your liver. Thats why you see the incredibly scary warning to call your doctor IMMEDIATEDLY if you have those symptoms. Does it sound like its worth it to go on these poisons? Me, I am exercising, getting plenty of omega3 oil, plenty of other antioxidants, taking niacin, coenzymeq10 supplements(which have been tested to contain what they claim - 90% of them contain none or very little), garlic, cinnamon, plant sterols, and many other important substances in the supplements I take. Oh yes and 1-2 drinks most days, red wine when possible. And two baby aspirin for anti inflammatory effects. My brother, at his 50th year very complete and thorough physical, was told the only thing he needed to do more of or change was to "drink a little more". True. Why do you think the french have virtually no heart disease (until they move here). Cause

they drink wine starting as kids. I can guarantee I have less chance of a heart attack, with my high LDL but with good nutrition and exercise, etc.than the millions of overweight out of shape couch potato people who think they are all set because they took a pill and got some meaningless numbers down. And oh, it appears for the elderly, higher LDL results in a LOWER death rate. And the statins have never shown a benefit for women. But other than that, go ahead and have everyone you know get on them - at least they are helping the drug company stocks. KipG Girouard <Akeeperathome@...> wrote: My husband is on lovastatin. He has sharp pain in his upper bicep with loss of strength. I've read that this is a side effect of statin drugs. When we asked the Dr. about it she ran blood tests and said that he didn't have high enough levels in his blood to cause problems. Yet, he HAS problems. Has this happened to anyone else? My husband drives truck and is in constant pain. Is there any alternatives to the statins? Mrs. Girouard

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

arm pain/loss of strength

Yes, that sounds familiar. It took two weeks for the pain to disappear,

but two years to regain the full range of motion. If the doctor said

that " the levels weren't high enough " that might indicate that there

were discernable levels of the chemical markers for muscle damage.

There have been studies quoted here on this list that indicate that

even very low levels of blood chemicals can still be associated with

muscle damage.

Linden

My husband is on lovastatin. He has sharp pain in his upper bicep with

loss of strength. I've read that this is a side effect of statin drugs.

When we asked the Dr. about it she ran blood tests and said that he

didn't have high enough levels in his blood to cause problems. Yet, he

HAS problems.

Has this happened to anyone else? My husband drives truck and is in

constant pain. Is there any alternatives to the statins?

Mrs. Girouard

More new features than ever. Check out the new AIM® Mail ! -

http://webmail.aim.com

• 2 weeks later...

>

> My husband is on lovastatin. He has sharp pain in his upper bicep with

> loss of strength. I've read that this is a side effect of statin drugs.

> When we asked the Dr. about it she ran blood tests and said that he

> didn't have high enough levels in his blood to cause problems. Yet, he

> HAS problems.

>

> Has this happened to anyone else? My husband drives truck and is in

> constant pain. Is there any alternatives to the statins?

>

> Mrs. Girouard

>

There is an alternative to statins! It's called sanity. Throw the POISON

AWAY!! You don't need it. How arrogant of the Doc! Next she'll suggest

some PROZAC. Or maybe Tylenol with codeine. Anything to avoid

admitting hey made a mistake.

be well

Art

Dear keeper, Art is exactly right! Beware of any doctor who attempts to downplay a patient's report of side effects to any prescribed medication. Regardless of what blood tests may or may not show, they are not foolproof, and their results are no excuse for the doctor disregarding what the patient reports, especially when the symptoms are the exact ones that the ads for these meds caution patients to report to their doctors. I suspect that these doctors who are so cavalier with patients' reports of pain and weakness would not hesitate to play it safe if it were they who were experiencing these side effects. Depending on whether your husband truly needs to lower his cholesterol (is it just to get the total under 200? what are the LDL/HDL numbers? triglycerides? Can the doctor show that he truly does have a problem?), then the decision becomes whether to treat or not to treat. If it's clear that treatment is necessary, then check out a much

safer alternative to statins: http://www.answers.com/topic/guggul-1 I've started taking guggulipid because my cholesterol was at 270, and although both HDL and triglycerides are good, my doctor thinks I should get the total just a bit lower. I'm willing to go along with that since she's no fanatic about cholesterol and she doesn't want it lowered by all that much. But the main reason I opted for this alternative over others is that it also has the added benefit of anti-inflammatory properties, which addresses the underlying cause of heart disease, whereas just lowering cholesterol is merely treating a symptom. Just be sure you get a good brand of guggulipid, since

under-purified versions could cause their own set of problems. But name brands should be fine. Even the unpurified extract of myrhh, which is the source of this stuff, has been used for centuries in the Far East, so I'm thinking even that is far safer than statins. And check the archives here, as there are other alternatives you might consider. Statins are a cash cow for the pharmaceutical giants and despite the fact that they have the potential for horrible side effects, which most of us in this group can attest to (and yes, many of us were told by our doctors that it "isn't the meds" causing our symptoms), the tiny bit of benefit that might be gained by using them (and that's only for men; there's no benefit for women), is overshadowed by the destruction to our health that many of us have suffered from their use. Arthur <artp3377@...> wrote: >> My husband is on lovastatin. He has sharp pain in his upper bicep with > loss of strength. I've read that this is a side effect of statin drugs. > When we asked the Dr. about it she ran blood tests and said that he > didn't have high enough levels in his blood to cause problems. Yet, he > HAS problems. > > Has this happened to anyone else? My husband

drives truck and is in > constant pain. Is there any alternatives to the statins? > > Mrs. Girouard>There is an alternative to statins! It's called sanity. Throw the POISON AWAY!! You don't need it. How arrogant of the Doc! Next she'll suggestsome PROZAC. Or maybe Tylenol with codeine. Anything to avoidadmitting hey made a mistake.be wellArt-----

Fight back spam! Download the Blue Frog.

http://www.bluesecurity.com/register/s?user=bmFuY2FybDIwNzQ%3D

I do a lot of work with my hands - We're restoring a 1921 Craftsman Bungalow house. After being on Zocor for a year I could not drive a 1.5" screw into wood with a pilot hole without stoppung because my forearm hurt so bad!

I stopped statins back in November. I just replaced 30 feet of original 1921 cast iron drain pice with PVC. the only residual problems I have is a pain in left arm where my bicep connects to the forearm. That only happens when I pick up something over 20 pounds - but even that is getting better.

I'd rather have quality of life over quantity of life.

Glenn______________________"Life is not about finding yourself; it is about creating yourself. " - Bernard Shaw

arm pain/loss of strengthYes, that sounds familiar. It took two weeks for the pain to disappear, but two years to regain the full range of motion. If the doctor said that "the levels weren't high enough" that might indicate that there were discernable levels of the chemical markers for muscle damage. There have been studies quoted here on this list that indicate that even very low levels of blood chemicals can still be associated with muscle damage.LindenMy husband is on lovastatin. He has sharp pain in his upper bicep withloss of strength. I've read that this is a side effect of statin drugs.When we asked the Dr. about it she ran blood tests and said that hedidn't have high enough levels in his blood to cause problems. Yet, heHAS problems.Has this happened to anyone else? My husband drives truck and is inconstant pain. Is there any alternatives to the statins?Mrs. Girouard__________________________________________________________More new features than ever. Check out the new AIM® Mail ! - http://webmail.aim.com

Are you taking CoQ10??

arm pain/loss of strengthYes, that sounds familiar. It took two weeks for the pain to disappear, but two years to regain the full range of motion. If the doctor said that "the levels weren't high enough" that might indicate that there were discernable levels of the chemical markers for muscle damage. There have been studies quoted here on this list that indicate that even very low levels of blood chemicals can still be associated with muscle damage.LindenMy husband is on lovastatin. He has sharp pain in his upper bicep withloss of strength. I've read that this is a side effect of statin drugs.When we asked the Dr. about it she ran blood tests and said that hedidn't have high enough levels in his blood to cause problems. Yet, heHAS problems.Has this happened to anyone else? My husband drives truck and is inconstant pain. Is there any alternatives to the statins?Mrs. Girouard__________________________________________________________More new features than ever. Check out the new AIM® Mail ! - http://webmail.aim.com

I truly believe there is not a trade off between quality and quantity of life when it comes to going off a statin. Unless you have severe heart disease, have had a heart attack, or multiple risk factors - and even then the chances of benefitting are tiny - you are better off off the statins. I just keep thinking of muslces being destroyed or damaged - whether or not you feel the symptoms - by coenzymeq10 being destroyed,not to mention the other side effects. KipSamoyed <samoyed1@...> wrote:

I do a lot of work with my hands - We're restoring a 1921 Craftsman Bungalow house. After being on Zocor for a year I could not drive a 1.5" screw into wood with a pilot hole without stoppung because my forearm hurt so bad! I stopped statins back in November. I just replaced 30 feet of original 1921 cast iron drain pice with PVC. the only residual problems I have is a pain in left arm where my bicep connects to the forearm. That only happens when I pick up something over 20 pounds - but even that is getting better. I'd rather have quality of life over quantity of life. Glenn______________________"Life is not about finding yourself; it is about creating yourself. " - Bernard Shaw arm pain/loss of strengthYes, that sounds familiar. It took two weeks for the pain to disappear, but two years to regain the full range of motion. If the doctor said that "the levels weren't high enough" that might indicate that there were discernable levels of the chemical markers for muscle damage. There have been studies quoted here on this list that indicate that even very low levels of blood chemicals can still be associated with muscle damage.LindenMy husband is on lovastatin. He has sharp pain in his upper bicep withloss of strength. I've read that this is a side effect of

statin drugs.When we asked the Dr. about it she ran blood tests and said that hedidn't have high enough levels in his blood to cause problems. Yet, heHAS problems.Has this happened to anyone else? My husband drives truck and is inconstant pain. Is there any alternatives to the statins?Mrs. Girouard__________________________________________________________More new features than ever. Check out the new AIM® Mail ! - http://webmail.aim.com

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Yup, lets not forget the study last month saying that statins activate

the gene that destroys muscle tissues. So we've got statins destroying

muscles in more than one way. That is probably why when folks stop the

drug, the muscle pain and discomfort continues because the muscle is

ruined and cannot be repaired.

jlk

> I do a lot of work with my hands - We're restoring a

1921 Craftsman Bungalow house.