RemedySpot.com

skiing for Liv?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi ,

All I can say is that the only prohibition my surgeon put on me was no horseriding ever again after I had mended from surgery, which I did not do anyway. I used to ski but I stopped that myself because of the hardware in the spine; I no longer felt confident. Most falls on the bunny slopes are "sitting down" ones, jarring the coccyx, but also falling sideways is a possibility.

If Liv has not had a spinal fusion then why not.

Lida in London

-----Original Message-----From: infantile scoliosis treatment [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of heather@...Sent: 04 January 2012 23:37infantile scoliosis treatment Subject: skiing for Liv?

Liv has an opportunity to take a one day ski lesson on Jan 25th and Imscared to let her go. Her doc says she has no restrictions and she wantsto do it...Am I just having a hard time letting go? Its hard ~not~ to behyper vigilant all the time as she been through so much...But, I know Imust stop hovering over her or she'll begin to resent it...Especially, nowthat she is a full-on teenager. My fear is that someone will run into hergoing full speed and she'll take a hard fall. Although, she will be onthe bunny slope with less chance of being hit by the crazies...If I tellthe instructor to be super careful, Im sure she wont have thisopportunity. Ive been honest before and people just get scared to takeher on.What do you all think? Please be honest..I wont be offended. Iappreciate all points of view and value the experienced opinions I gethere from my CAST/scoli family.Thanks everyone. Hope the New Year is started out brilliant for everyone!xxooHRH

I say go for it! Love the life you live.

Logan's mama

From: "heather@..." <heather@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Wednesday, January 4, 2012 6:37 PMSubject: skiing for Liv?

Liv has an opportunity to take a one day ski lesson on Jan 25th and Imscared to let her go. Her doc says she has no restrictions and she wantsto do it...Am I just having a hard time letting go? Its hard ~not~ to behyper vigilant all the time as she been through so much...But, I know Imust stop hovering over her or she'll begin to resent it...Especially, nowthat she is a full-on teenager. My fear is that someone will run into hergoing full speed and she'll take a hard fall. Although, she will be onthe bunny slope with less chance of being hit by the crazies...If I tellthe instructor to be super careful, Im sure she wont have thisopportunity. Ive been honest before and people just get scared to takeher on.What do you all think? Please be honest..I wont be offended. Iappreciate all points of view and value the experienced opinions I gethere from my CAST/scoli family.Thanks everyone. Hope the New

Year is started out brilliant for everyone!xxooHRH

Hey ! If it was me I would NOT let her do it! It is just a one day lesson right? She is gonna fall so much anyway. I would not take the chance of some one bull dozing her down! She and you have been through way too much to end up back in the hospital. I know she is a teenager but she will have plenty of time to do all sort of things like skiing in her lifetime. You know teenagers..she may be irritated with you but as smart as Liv is she will understand that it is not her you are worried about but the other “Crazies†on the slope! It is just like the Trampoline issue around my house...both girls want one and some of their Friends got one for Christmas and our next door neighbor has one, but I just can’t go there right now. As you know Sierra is in her 9th cast and if I had to deal with another cast or broken limb I just could not handle it! That is just my thoughts...You will make the right decision! Love Ya Girl!

Kristi Mommy to Sierra...on 9th cast...9 degrees OUT of cast and –6 degrees IN cast! March 7th 2012 either going to 10th cast or brace..depending on #’s!

Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2012 5:37 PM

infantile scoliosis treatment

Subject: skiing for Liv?

Liv has an opportunity to take a one day ski lesson on Jan 25th and Imscared to let her go. Her doc says she has no restrictions and she wantsto do it...Am I just having a hard time letting go? Its hard ~not~ to behyper vigilant all the time as she been through so much...But, I know Imust stop hovering over her or she'll begin to resent it...Especially, nowthat she is a full-on teenager. My fear is that someone will run into hergoing full speed and she'll take a hard fall. Although, she will be onthe bunny slope with less chance of being hit by the crazies...If I tellthe instructor to be super careful, Im sure she wont have thisopportunity. Ive been honest before and people just get scared to takeher on.What do you all think? Please be honest..I wont be offended. Iappreciate all points of view and value the experienced opinions I gethere from my CAST/scoli family.Thanks everyone. Hope the New Year is started out brilliant for everyone!xxooHRH

Hi ,

Sorry, but I say, "No way!" It isn't worth it. Besides your first day learning how to ski sucks anyways.

Love ya,

From: heather@... <heather@...>Subject: skiing for Liv?infantile scoliosis treatment Date: Wednesday, January 4, 2012, 3:37 PM

Liv has an opportunity to take a one day ski lesson on Jan 25th and Imscared to let her go. Her doc says she has no restrictions and she wantsto do it...Am I just having a hard time letting go? Its hard ~not~ to behyper vigilant all the time as she been through so much...But, I know Imust stop hovering over her or she'll begin to resent it...Especially, nowthat she is a full-on teenager. My fear is that someone will run into hergoing full speed and she'll take a hard fall. Although, she will be onthe bunny slope with less chance of being hit by the crazies...If I tellthe instructor to be super careful, Im sure she wont have thisopportunity. Ive been honest before and people just get scared to takeher on.What do you all think? Please be honest..I wont be offended. Iappreciate all points of view and value the experienced opinions I gethere from my CAST/scoli family.Thanks everyone. Hope the New

Year is started out brilliant for everyone!xxooHRH

,I would say yes, because it seems that Olivia is confident, and the last thing you want is to find out in a few years, that she tried it in a less restrictive way without letting you know. Those years are ahead! I also think it would be great to call ahead and see what the instructors experience is. If she's got great balance, I think you have much less to worry about. Seems that more of your worry will be those who aren't careful around her. Could she take a lesson during a non-peak, quiet time?BeckyOn 2012-01-05, at 5:47 PM, heather@... wrote:

Whew...Im going to have to sleep on this before I commit. Half my family

says yes, half say no. Half of you say yes, half say no way. Im stumped.

I just want my girl to have fun and we are a family of snow

boarding/skiing....My brother is a world class boarder (Marc

Montoya, check him out online!) and I would love so much if we could all

be on the mountain together! But, what I want and whats best for my girl

are 2 different things, most of the time.

I spoke to her doc again for reassurance and always feel better after I

get the go ahead from him, as I trust him 100%...But, if anything did

happen, I couldnt live with myself. This is so hard as Liv deserves to

have fun and not sit on the sidelines of life/physical activity anymore.

I appreciate all of your feedback so much. Please dont hesitate to throw

out all of your ideas on this as your input is gold to me.

Remember, she does have fusion and a dual rod construct. She is super

strong and has great balance.

Thanks guys,

HRH

> Hi ,

> Â

> Sorry, but I say, "No way!" It isn't worth it. Besides your first day

> learning how to ski sucks anyways.

> Â

> Love ya,

>

>

>

>

>

> From: heather@... <heather@...>

> Subject: skiing for Liv?

> infantile scoliosis treatment

> Date: Wednesday, January 4, 2012, 3:37 PM

>

>

>

> Â

>

>

>

> Liv has an opportunity to take a one day ski lesson on Jan 25th and Im

> scared to let her go. Her doc says she has no restrictions and she wants

> to do it...Am I just having a hard time letting go? Its hard ~not~ to be

> hyper vigilant all the time as she been through so much...But, I know I

> must stop hovering over her or she'll begin to resent it...Especially, now

> that she is a full-on teenager. My fear is that someone will run into her

> going full speed and she'll take a hard fall. Although, she will be on

> the bunny slope with less chance of being hit by the crazies...If I tell

> the instructor to be super careful, Im sure she wont have this

> opportunity. Ive been honest before and people just get scared to take

> her on.

> What do you all think? Please be honest..I wont be offended. I

> appreciate all points of view and value the experienced opinions I get

> here from my CAST/scoli family.

> Thanks everyone. Hope the New Year is started out brilliant for everyone!

> xxoo

> HRH

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

Hi ,

As long as your doctor is giving you the "green light" on this, and you really trust his opinion, then I would encourage you to let her go. I've been skiing since I was 9 and the bunny slopes are the safest conditions you're going to find on the slopes (especially if you touch base with her instructor before hand, when she's not around). Besides, as you probably already well know, snow and winter clothing provide lots of soft cushioning in the event of any falls. ;-)

I understand your need to protect her -- and I applaud that -- but in this case, I would also keep in mind her need to feel normal and included. Healthy self-esteem can really go a long way in keeping her out of danger in other situations. In any event, this might just be a great chance for her to get the curiosity of skiing out of her system in a safe, protected environment.

In my opinion, skiing is such a hassle anyway -- you have to prepare all your gear, drive all the way up there and then tote home a bunch of wet clothes and gear at the end of the day -- not to mention the costs. You never know, she might not ever feel the need to go skiing again after this. But living in Denver, I'm sure she's around a lot of people who do ski, so it would be really nice for her to be able to share in that experience, for a change.

But those are just my thoughts. You know the situation much better than I do. And props to your famous, snowboarding relative! Very cool!

All the best ~

Everyone has brought up really good points on both sides of the argument. However, have you stopped to think what if you let her go and say she doesn't fall, but has a wonderful time. She is only going to want to go again, then what do you say? I skied for the first time at age 18 and it wasn't a question if I fell, it was how many times I fell. Once I mastered the bunny slope, it was off to the beginner slopes and then I fell a bunch more just trying to get off of the lift.-LeoSent from my iPhoneOn Jan 6, 2012, at 12:18 PM, " \(Wells\) Carpenter" <wellsra@...> wrote:

Hi ,

As long as your doctor is giving you the "green light" on this, and you really trust his opinion, then I would encourage you to let her go. I've been skiing since I was 9 and the bunny slopes are the safest conditions you're going to find on the slopes (especially if you touch base with her instructor before hand, when she's not around). Besides, as you probably already well know, snow and winter clothing provide lots of soft cushioning in the event of any falls. ;-)

I understand your need to protect her -- and I applaud that -- but in this case, I would also keep in mind her need to feel normal and included. Healthy self-esteem can really go a long way in keeping her out of danger in other situations. In any event, this might just be a great chance for her to get the curiosity of skiing out of her system in a safe, protected environment.

In my opinion, skiing is such a hassle anyway -- you have to prepare all your gear, drive all the way up there and then tote home a bunch of wet clothes and gear at the end of the day -- not to mention the costs. You never know, she might not ever feel the need to go skiing again after this. But living in Denver, I'm sure she's around a lot of people who do ski, so it would be really nice for her to be able to share in that experience, for a change.

But those are just my thoughts. You know the situation much better than I do. And props to your famous, snowboarding relative! Very cool!

All the best ~

OK so my take on this whole thing , coming from the parent who says that she is NEVER letting her boys play contact sports after the scoliosis(!).  My rational side says, it has to be a mutual decision.  If you put your foot down now, and she really wants to do it she will.  Maybe not this year or next but she will.  Or she will try skate boarding or rollerblading or something else.  I think it is hard to control a teenager.  I would tell her your concerns, maybe offer an alternative that she would like more, but at the end of the day, she is getting close to being an adult, and will likely rebel more if you put your foot down.  At some point in the next few years, she will be making these decisions by herself. I would empower her with the information and facts as you see them and then give her the wings to grow!

Good Luck. Jenn

Thanks for all the feedback on this everyone....I decided to let her do

it...Until, this a.m. when she said her back hurt...ugh...Ill keep you

posted.

HRH

> ,

>

>

>

> I would say yes, because it seems that Olivia is confident, and the last

> thing you want is to find out in a few years, that she tried it in a less

> restrictive way without letting you know. Those years are ahead! I also

> think it would be great to call ahead and see what the instructors

> experience is. If she's got great balance, I think you have much less to

> worry about. Seems that more of your worry will be those who aren't

> careful around her. Could she take a lesson during a non-peak, quiet

> time?

>

>

> Becky

>

>

> On 2012-01-05, at 5:47 PM, heather@... wrote:

>

>> Whew...Im going to have to sleep on this before I commit. Half my family

>> says yes, half say no. Half of you say yes, half say no way. Im stumped.

>> I just want my girl to have fun and we are a family of snow

>> boarding/skiing....My brother is a world class boarder (Marc

>> Montoya, check him out online!) and I would love so much if we could all

>> be on the mountain together! But, what I want and whats best for my girl

>> are 2 different things, most of the time.

>> I spoke to her doc again for reassurance and always feel better after I

>> get the go ahead from him, as I trust him 100%...But, if anything did

>> happen, I couldnt live with myself. This is so hard as Liv deserves to

>> have fun and not sit on the sidelines of life/physical activity anymore.

>> I appreciate all of your feedback so much. Please dont hesitate to throw

>> out all of your ideas on this as your input is gold to me.

>> Remember, she does have fusion and a dual rod construct. She is super

>> strong and has great balance.

>> Thanks guys,

>> HRH

>>

>> > Hi ,

>> > Â

>> > Sorry, but I say, " No way! " It isn't worth it. Besides your first day

>> > learning how to ski sucks anyways.

>> > Â

>> > Love ya,

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> > From: heather@... <heather@...>

>> > Subject: skiing for Liv?

>> > infantile scoliosis treatment

>> > Date: Wednesday, January 4, 2012, 3:37 PM

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> > Â

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> > Liv has an opportunity to take a one day ski lesson on Jan 25th and Im

>> > scared to let her go. Her doc says she has no restrictions and she

>> wants

>> > to do it...Am I just having a hard time letting go? Its hard ~not~ to

>> be

>> > hyper vigilant all the time as she been through so much...But, I know

>> I

>> > must stop hovering over her or she'll begin to resent it...Especially,

>> now

>> > that she is a full-on teenager. My fear is that someone will run into

>> her

>> > going full speed and she'll take a hard fall. Although, she will be on

>> > the bunny slope with less chance of being hit by the crazies...If I

>> tell

>> > the instructor to be super careful, Im sure she wont have this

>> > opportunity. Ive been honest before and people just get scared to take

>> > her on.

>> > What do you all think? Please be honest..I wont be offended. I

>> > appreciate all points of view and value the experienced opinions I get

>> > here from my CAST/scoli family.

>> > Thanks everyone. Hope the New Year is started out brilliant for

>> everyone!

>> > xxoo

>> > HRH

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> >

>> >

>>

>>

>

>

I second what Jenn says..have you asked her what she thinks about it?

>

> OK so my take on this whole thing , coming from the parent who says that

> she is NEVER letting her boys play contact sports after the scoliosis(!).

> My rational side says, it has to be a mutual decision. If you put your

> foot down now, and she really wants to do it she will. Maybe not this year

> or next but she will. Or she will try skate boarding or rollerblading or

> something else. I think it is hard to control a teenager. I would tell

> her your concerns, maybe offer an alternative that she would like more, but

> at the end of the day, she is getting close to being an adult, and will

> likely rebel more if you put your foot down. At some point in the next few

> years, she will be making these decisions by herself. I would empower her

> with the information and facts as you see them and then give her the wings

> to grow!

>

> Good Luck.

> Jenn

>

Ive decided that my brother should give her lessons. She'll receive extra

care and I'll be less worried! She has dual construct rods that are

contoured to the shape of her spine, not Harrigton..just an fyi..They dont

use Harrington anymore due to the potential for flatback syndrome. So

far, so good on the way she is living with these rods. She complained

about a sore back a couple weeks ago, and we think it was because she had

to clean up many tables at school...She got in trouble and cleaning the

school was her consequence....So, she is behaving like a normal teen.

yay!

HRH

> How wonderful! I am sure she will have a great time. Life is about

> living and that is what she is doing. I know if I were in your shoes

> right now, Harrington rods + teenager+ first time skier, I would be a

> wreck.

>

> Shauna Leamy

> mother of Kelsey, Kieran, and

>

>

>> >>

>> >> OK so my take on this whole thing , coming from the parent who says

>> that

>> >> she is NEVER letting her boys play contact sports after the

>> >> scoliosis(!).

>> >> My rational side says, it has to be a mutual decision. If you put

>> your

>> >> foot down now, and she really wants to do it she will. Maybe not

>> this

>> >> year

>> >> or next but she will. Or she will try skate boarding or

>> rollerblading

>> >> or

>> >> something else. I think it is hard to control a teenager. I would

>> tell

>> >> her your concerns, maybe offer an alternative that she would like

>> more,

>> >> but

>> >> at the end of the day, she is getting close to being an adult, and

>> will

>> >> likely rebel more if you put your foot down. At some point in the

>> next

>> >> few

>> >> years, she will be making these decisions by herself. I would empower

>> >> her

>> >> with the information and facts as you see them and then give her the

>> >> wings

>> >> to grow!

>> >>

>> >> Good Luck.

>> >> Jenn

>> >>

>> >

>> >

>> >

>>

>

>

>

Brilliant idea, ! That way, not only will it be extra safe, it will also be really cool and special for her and your brother. ;-) So glad to hear she's enjoying a normal life these days. Here's hoping everybody has a super-fun time!

Thanks! Ill post pics of her 1st skiing adventure.HRH From: infantile scoliosis treatment [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of (Wells) CarpenterSent: Wednesday, January 25, 2012 3:31 PMinfantile scoliosis treatment Subject: Re: skiing for Liv? Brilliant idea, ! That way, not only will it be extra safe, it will also be really cool and special for her and your brother. ;-) So glad to hear she's enjoying a normal life these days. Here's hoping everybody has a super-fun time!