RemedySpot.com

Re: removing the cast at home

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I would ask your specific doctor or his nurse.

From what other parents have posted, I have seen it vary from zero days to like 2 weeks. Our doctor specifically doesn't like it done more than the night before, unless there is a medical need like some type of testing (ultrasound of kidney's for example) that can't be done with the cast on. And really, if it was completely up to him, it wouldn't be taken off at all until they get to the hospital. But I've been given permission to do it myself since the cast saw is so traumatic for Grace.

Jane

From: zwitkin <zwitkin@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 11:35 AMSubject: removing the cast at home

any recommendations when not to do it? the docs said it should be as close to the changing date but they understand us wanting to give some freedom. Is THREE days before a new cast put on too much? If so we can definitely do less but wanted to see what you parents do or have done-thank you Zehava - mom to Binyamin, 25 months old, first cast Nov. 21, 2011

We cut Logan's off a full week (7days) ahead. He has really fair skin and very sensitive and usually needs this "air" break for his skin. Like the dr said, If he falls over in that short amount of time, you need to recast again anyway. So you are not undoing anything.

hope this helps,

Logan's mama (45 down to 9 out of cast, 2.5 years old, cast #11)

From: zwitkin <zwitkin@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Tuesday, January 17, 2012 2:35 PMSubject: removing the cast at home

any recommendations when not to do it? the docs said it should be as close to the changing date but they understand us wanting to give some freedom. Is THREE days before a new cast put on too much? If so we can definitely do less but wanted to see what you parents do or have done-thank you Zehava - mom to Binyamin, 25 months old, first cast Nov. 21, 2011

This is different for every case and every ET hospital. If the

experienced ET doc thinks 3 days is good, I'de be comfortable with that.

HRH

> any recommendations when not to do it? the docs said it should be as close

> to the changing date but they understand us wanting to give some freedom.

> Is THREE days before a new cast put on too much? If so we can definitely

> do less but wanted to see what you parents do or have done-

> thank you

> Zehava - mom to Binyamin, 25 months old, first cast Nov. 21, 2011

>

>