Guest guest

Hello all,

I am excited to be part of this group. I have a 3 year old son with

Prader-Willi Syndrome and because of this syndrome he has infantile

scoliosis.He was diagnosed at birth, and has been in a Risser cast for

2 years. THey plan to keep him casted(braces in the summer) until he

is strong enough to go through rod surgery in 13 or so years. He was

in a brace for 6 weeks and we lost all our progress in that short

time. His muscle one is very low which is why he has the scoliosis.

So we put him back in a cast. We then tok it off for 6 months as we

were so tired of him being in a cast but again lost all our progress

and got worse. He has been up to a 50 degree curve at the right top of

his spine. We even went to Childen's in Boston and they said the same

that he needs to be casted. So as I have been researching...can anyone

tell me the difference between Risser and Mehta casting? From what I

read we should be doing Mehta not Risser........Thanks for listening

and any advice you can give...Have a great Tuesday :)

Crystal Redner, Mother to Trevin (3) PWS Colorado

--

Sending Smiles :)

Crystal

Guest guest

Thank you so much... His does have a hole in tummy, so maybe ours is doing the same!!On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 9:53 AM, a Ross <danceswiththesun@...> wrote:

Because Mehta is still considered experimental, most doctors are doing Mehta casting but calling it Risser for insurance purposes.  (My son was definitely in a Mehta cast, but the Doc warned me to call it Risser since the hospital didn't approve of Mehta casts.  However, since the casts are tailored to the needs of each child, it is technically up to the doctor's discretion as to how they apply it- thus, applying a Risser cast as a Mehta.)

In general, though, Mehta casts will have a belly hole.  Depending on the child one or no shoulders may be involved.  And Mehta casts are applied using a specific casting table sized for children.

Other people here know more of the technical stuff than I do but I hope

that helps.M Ross

From: Crystal Redner <ljis2007@...> infantile scoliosis treatment

Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:40 AM Subject: Risser vs Mehta

Hello all,

--

Crystal

-- Sending Smiles :)Crystal

Guest guest

Crystal,

I just saw from your signature that you're in Colorado. If your son

is having his casting done at Children's in Denver, that would be a

Risser cast.

-Patrice

On 03/13/2012 9:40 AM, Crystal Redner wrote:

Hello all,

I am excited to be part of this group. I have a 3 year old

son with

Prader-Willi Syndrome and because of this syndrome he has

infantile

scoliosis.He was diagnosed at birth, and has been in a

Risser cast for

2 years. THey plan to keep him casted(braces in the

summer) until he

is strong enough to go through rod surgery in 13 or so

years. He was

in a brace for 6 weeks and we lost all our progress in

that short

time. His muscle one is very low which is why he has the

scoliosis.

So we put him back in a cast. We then tok it off for 6

months as we

were so tired of him being in a cast but again lost all

our progress

and got worse. He has been up to a 50 degree curve at the

right top of

his spine. We even went to Childen's in Boston and they

said the same

that he needs to be casted. So as I have been

researching...can anyone

tell me the difference between Risser and Mehta casting?

From what I

read we should be doing Mehta not Risser........Thanks for

listening

--

Crystal

Guest guest

Hi Crystal my son is 3 and has PWS too. We had our first cast put on at the end

of Feb at Shriners in Philadelphia. The Mehta cast. The ortho there is

knowledgable about scoliosis in PWS. Please send me an email and I will

elaborate more. You can also call me 478-235-2039.

marina

Mom to

> >

> > Hello all,

> >

> > I am excited to be part of this group. I have a 3 year old son with

> > Prader-Willi Syndrome and because of this syndrome he has infantile

> > scoliosis.He was diagnosed at birth, and has been in a Risser cast for

> > 2 years. THey plan to keep him casted(braces in the summer) until he

> > is strong enough to go through rod surgery in 13 or so years. He was

> > in a brace for 6 weeks and we lost all our progress in that short

> > time. His muscle one is very low which is why he has the scoliosis.

> > So we put him back in a cast. We then tok it off for 6 months as we

> > were so tired of him being in a cast but again lost all our progress

> > and got worse. He has been up to a 50 degree curve at the right top of

> > his spine. We even went to Childen's in Boston and they said the same

> > that he needs to be casted. So as I have been researching...can anyone

> > tell me the difference between Risser and Mehta casting? From what I

> > read we should be doing Mehta not Risser........Thanks for listening

> > and any advice you can give...Have a great Tuesday :)

> > Crystal Redner, Mother to Trevin (3) PWS Colorado

> >

> > --

> > Sending Smiles :)

> > Crystal

> >

> >

>

Guest guest

I downloaded an application for care completed it and faxed it in. They accepted the application within 2 days. You can find the application on the website. I am sure that others on this forum may have recommendations for places in your area that do the Mehta casting. Feel free to call with any questions you may have. Marinahttp://www.shrinershospitalsforchildren.org/en/CareAndTreatment/ApplyForCare.aspxSent from my padOn Mar 13, 2012, at 14:50, Crystal Redner <ljis2007@...>. wrote:

I will for sure call you, how do you get into Shriners? On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 12:10 PM, jogen30 <jogen30@...> wrote:

Hi Crystal my son is 3 and has PWS too. We had our first cast put on at the end of Feb at Shriners in Philadelphia. The Mehta cast. The ortho there is knowledgable about scoliosis in PWS. Please send me an email and I will elaborate more. You can also call me 478-235-2039.

marina

Mom to

> >

> > Hello all,

> >

> > I am excited to be part of this group. I have a 3 year old son with

> > Prader-Willi Syndrome and because of this syndrome he has infantile

> > scoliosis.He was diagnosed at birth, and has been in a Risser cast for

> > 2 years. THey plan to keep him casted(braces in the summer) until he

> > is strong enough to go through rod surgery in 13 or so years. He was

> > in a brace for 6 weeks and we lost all our progress in that short

> > time. His muscle one is very low which is why he has the scoliosis.

> > So we put him back in a cast. We then tok it off for 6 months as we

> > were so tired of him being in a cast but again lost all our progress

> > and got worse. He has been up to a 50 degree curve at the right top of

> > his spine. We even went to Childen's in Boston and they said the same

> > that he needs to be casted. So as I have been researching...can anyone

> > tell me the difference between Risser and Mehta casting? From what I

> > read we should be doing Mehta not Risser........Thanks for listening

> > and any advice you can give...Have a great Tuesday :)

> > Crystal Redner, Mother to Trevin (3) PWS Colorado

> >

> > --

> > Sending Smiles :)

> > Crystal

> >

> >

>

-- Sending Smiles :)Crystal

=

Guest guest

There are many differences between Mehta and russet, but primarily a Mehta cast is applied using a special table that corrects the rotation of the spine as well as the curve. Visually, Mehta casts have a mushroom shape hole in the front to allow expansion of the rib cage as well as a "D" shaped cut-out in the back on the opposite side of the curve to allow the rib cage to fall back in place. You came to the right place, ISOP is a great resource! One piece of advice, don't let your doc's talk you into the "wait and see" approach. Push for x-rays and MRI, then see a doc on the list from the site.Sent from my iPhoneOn Mar 13, 2012, at 11:40 AM, Crystal Redner <ljis2007@...> wrote:

Hello all,

--

Crystal

=

Guest guest

Hi Crystal,EDF (elongation, derotation, flexion) casting is simply an improvement to the Risser technique, as it has the ability to correct 3-dimensionally. Risser casts use a 2 point correction technique, while EDF can correct/maintain lordosis (the flexion component of the edf technique). A Risser cast employs gentle traction to elongate the spine and can derotate pelvis, but does not have the component to control flexion….Unless, the large frame has been modified.Early Treatment w/ Mehta casting has the ability to harness the infants rapid phase of growth to train the young spine to grow straight, gently and permanently…Keep the questions coming. I only check this group 1 or 2 times per week, so if you have any questions that you need answers to right away email me direct at isop06@...The pioneer of ET indicates in her original article that the ET process takes longer for syndromic children…just an fyi…HRH From: infantile scoliosis treatment [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of Crystal RednerSent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:40 AMinfantile scoliosis treatment Subject: Risser vs Mehta Hello all,I am excited to be part of this group. I have a 3 year old son withPrader-Willi Syndrome and because of this syndrome he has infantilescoliosis.He was diagnosed at birth, and has been in a Risser cast for2 years. THey plan to keep him casted(braces in the summer) until heis strong enough to go through rod surgery in 13 or so years. He wasin a brace for 6 weeks and we lost all our progress in that shorttime. His muscle one is very low which is why he has the scoliosis.So we put him back in a cast. We then tok it off for 6 months as wewere so tired of him being in a cast but again lost all our progressand got worse. He has been up to a 50 degree curve at the right top ofhis spine. We even went to Childen's in Boston and they said the samethat he needs to be casted. So as I have been researching...can anyonetell me the difference between Risser and Mehta casting? From what Iread we should be doing Mehta not Risser........Thanks for listeningand any advice you can give...Have a great Tuesday :)Crystal Redner, Mother to Trevin (3) PWS Colorado-- Sending Smiles :)Crystal

Guest guest

Just wanted to add a bit more to this….A proper Mehta cast will have a widely trimmed, mushroom-shaped window in front w/ rib flaps.  We call this the chest expansion window.  Please take a look at the casted child in Mehtas article.  A widely trimmed chest expansion window will reduce the risks of chest wall deformities and provides great comfort to the child.  A “D†shaped hole on the concavity side (not past the midline) will help to address rotation.HRH From: infantile scoliosis treatment [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of a RossSent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 9:53 AMinfantile scoliosis treatment Subject: Re: Risser vs Mehta Because Mehta is still considered experimental, most doctors are doing Mehta casting but calling it Risser for insurance purposes. (My son was definitely in a Mehta cast, but the Doc warned me to call it Risser since the hospital didn't approve of Mehta casts. However, since the casts are tailored to the needs of each child, it is technically up to the doctor's discretion as to how they apply it- thus, applying a Risser cast as a Mehta.) In general, though, Mehta casts will have a belly hole. Depending on the child one or no shoulders may be involved. And Mehta casts are applied using a specific casting table sized for children. Other people here know more of the technical stuff than I do but I hope that helps. M Ross From: Crystal Redner <ljis2007@...>infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 11:40 AMSubject: Risser vs Mehta Hello all,I am excited to be part of this group. I have a 3 year old son withPrader-Willi Syndrome and because of this syndrome he has infantilescoliosis.He was diagnosed at birth, and has been in a Risser cast for2 years. THey plan to keep him casted(braces in the summer) until heis strong enough to go through rod surgery in 13 or so years. He wasin a brace for 6 weeks and we lost all our progress in that shorttime. His muscle one is very low which is why he has the scoliosis.So we put him back in a cast. We then tok it off for 6 months as wewere so tired of him being in a cast but again lost all our progressand got worse. He has been up to a 50 degree curve at the right top ofhis spine. We even went to Childen's in Boston and they said the samethat he needs to be casted. So as I have been researching...can anyonetell me the difference between Risser and Mehta casting? From what Iread we should be doing Mehta not Risser........Thanks for listeningand any advice you can give...Have a great Tuesday :)Crystal Redner, Mother to Trevin (3) PWS Colorado-- Sending Smiles :)Crystal

Guest guest

Childrens in Denver does have the proper edf frame. I haven’t seen what the windows look like recently…HRH From: infantile scoliosis treatment [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of Patrice ScheckSent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 10:31 AMinfantile scoliosis treatment Subject: Re: Risser vs Mehta Crystal,I just saw from your signature that you're in Colorado. If your son is having his casting done at Children's in Denver, that would be a Risser cast.-PatriceOn 03/13/2012 9:40 AM, Crystal Redner wrote: Hello all,I am excited to be part of this group. I have a 3 year old son withPrader-Willi Syndrome and because of this syndrome he has infantilescoliosis.He was diagnosed at birth, and has been in a Risser cast for2 years. THey plan to keep him casted(braces in the summer) until heis strong enough to go through rod surgery in 13 or so years. He wasin a brace for 6 weeks and we lost all our progress in that shorttime. His muscle one is very low which is why he has the scoliosis.So we put him back in a cast. We then tok it off for 6 months as wewere so tired of him being in a cast but again lost all our progressand got worse. He has been up to a 50 degree curve at the right top ofhis spine. We even went to Childen's in Boston and they said the samethat he needs to be casted. So as I have been researching...can anyonetell me the difference between Risser and Mehta casting? From what Iread we should be doing Mehta not Risser........Thanks for listeningand any advice you can give...Have a great Tuesday :)Crystal Redner, Mother to Trevin (3) PWS Colorado-- Sending Smiles :)Crystal

Guest guest

Early Treatment w/ Mehta casting is very specific when it comes to windows as the pioneer wanted to modify/improve the original edf technique for a rapidly growing infant and prevent chest wall deformities all together. A proper Mehta / EDF cast will have a widely trimmed, mushroom-shaped window in front and “D” cut out in back to help address rotation.HRH From: infantile scoliosis treatment [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of Crystal RednerSent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 12:01 PMinfantile scoliosis treatment Subject: Re: Risser vs Mehta OK, so do Mehta have holes in the tummy as well?On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 10:30 AM, Patrice Scheck <patrice.scheck@...> wrote: Crystal,I just saw from your signature that you're in Colorado. If your son is having his casting done at Children's in Denver, that would be a Risser cast.-PatriceOn 03/13/2012 9:40 AM, Crystal Redner wrote: Hello all,I am excited to be part of this group. I have a 3 year old son withPrader-Willi Syndrome and because of this syndrome he has infantilescoliosis.He was diagnosed at birth, and has been in a Risser cast for2 years. THey plan to keep him casted(braces in the summer) until heis strong enough to go through rod surgery in 13 or so years. He wasin a brace for 6 weeks and we lost all our progress in that shorttime. His muscle one is very low which is why he has the scoliosis.So we put him back in a cast. We then tok it off for 6 months as wewere so tired of him being in a cast but again lost all our progressand got worse. He has been up to a 50 degree curve at the right top ofhis spine. We even went to Childen's in Boston and they said the samethat he needs to be casted. So as I have been researching...can anyonetell me the difference between Risser and Mehta casting? From what Iread we should be doing Mehta not Risser........Thanks for listeningand any advice you can give...Have a great Tuesday :)Crystal Redner, Mother to Trevin (3) PWS Colorado-- Sending Smiles :)Crystal -- Sending Smiles :)Crystal