RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Disability Oct. 10, 2008

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I have been on disability for 12 years. My physical health is for the most part really good.

I have on-going issues with facial lipoatrophy and abdominal lipodystrophy, gynocamastia, depression, fatigue, and most frustratingly, no libido, etc.

I have SSD, and I also receive LTD from Cigna provided through my former employer, Sprint. Every year, Cigna sends me a form to get an update on my health. I am 54 and have not worked for 12 years. I do not want to go back to work. I am afraid at some point Cigna is going to say, "Mr. Kennedy, you are not disabled", and stop my income from LTD.

Anyone care to share your experiences, insight, opinions?

ThanksDon Kennedy

We are similar in this:I have been on SSDI for two years, CIGNA for one. CIGNA does send that form every year and for me, it does not change. The first time I had to fill it out from my hospital bed, otherwise they did not consider me disabled, lol, the nurse station faxed it for me.I did get an attorney because, here is what CIGNA does:--they keep a daily record of anything you fail to do for them, that they request.--they keep a record of any new education you get, to use against you by stating you are not disabled.--they review your doctor's records, and in mine, at 300 tcell count my doctor stated in writing I was doing well, and they sent this to me and stopped my payments for two weeks. Fortunately, my old employer called them up, went to battle for me, and CIGNA got back on the wagon and reinstated me. That employer was Apple Computers, and I am thankful for their compassion and courage to stand up for me. Then i got an attorney.--if they have stuck with you for 12 years, this encourages me, that they will continue with me as well. Still, I have to march to their tune.--the way I got an attorney, was to state I wanted a settlement from CIGNA, he took my case on a contingent fee of 5000.00, and began communicating with them. They may never settle, and that is okay, but, they understand, I am also now documenting everything, and have counsel on my side, and that costs them a lot more to cause me trouble, fees they hate creating.--also, my CIGNA plan requires them to provide full transportation of any kind to any type of FCE, which I have needed as I could not walk for months, and they felt they just needed to be sure.--I have a friend on Kaiser disability, and he worries just like i do, I guess we all do.--at 52, I know I am not employable, in my state you have to list your disabilities on the application, and I have so many issues i would be fired in a week or two.--HERE IS A BIGGIE, some HIV doctors don't understand your disability to work or stay employed, thus, it is imperative to get a doctor who truly understands the situation. I had to switch just 3 months ago.larryOn Dec 13, 2008, at 8:55 PM, Don Kennedy wrote:I have been on disability for 12 years. My physical health is for the most part really good. I have on-going issues with facial lipoatrophy and abdominal lipodystrophy, gynocamastia, depression, fatigue, and most frustratingly, no libido, etc. I have SSD, and I also receive LTD from Cigna provided through my former employer, Sprint. Every year, Cigna sends me a form to get an update on my health. I am 54 and have not worked for 12 years. I do not want to go back to work. I am afraid at some point Cigna is going to say, "Mr. Kennedy, you are not disabled", and stop my income from LTD. Anyone care to share your experiences, insight, opinions?ThanksDon Kennedy

JB:

I worry more whether the insurance companies will be around at all! Ricky in Michigan

Re: Disability Oct. 10, 2008

"I have SSD, and I also receive LTD from Cigna provided through my former employer, Sprint. Every year, Cigna sends me a form to get an update on my health. I am 54 and have not worked for 12 years. I do not want to go back to work. I am afraid at some point Cigna is going to say, "Mr. Kennedy, you are not disabled", and stop my income from LTD."

I understand your fears.

A friend of mine who deals with these issues as a doctor of physical medicine tells me that after a certain number of years, they move you into an "inactive" file, and that unless you are seen on network TV doing an excercise show or run for office, or go back to your old job without telling anyone, you get left pretty much alone.

With all of the collapsing stock portfolios, I do worry that insurers might be looking for places to cut losses, and get more aggressive.

JB

Listen to 350+ music, sports, news radio stations including songs for the holidays FREE while you browse. Start Listening Now!