RemedySpot.com

DHHS Adult and Adolescent Guidelines Panel Announces New Members

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Gang

I am very happy about having been selected to be a community member to this respected panel.  This is my second  try in the past 4 years and I finally made it through. This is one of the most important (if not the most important) medical guidelines panel in HIV treatment. I will be lucky to be working with great researchers and clinicians, and will make sure that the concerns from the patients in the field are brought to their attention.    Jules Levin has already reminded not to forget bone density issues, aging related issues, some women-specific issues and toxicities as areas to bring up as data and signals in the field become available.  I  am glad I have good mentors like Jules, Bob Munk. Marty Delaney and Lynda Dee that have been there before me !

Wish me luck!

At-a-Glance Volume 4 Issue 52

Issue No. 52 | December 12, 2008

View HTML version

=2

AIDSinfo.nih.gov is pleased to provide you with a weekly update of highlights about what has happened in the world of HIV/AIDS treatment, prevention, and research. We hope you find this encapsulated view of HIV/AIDS news useful.

=2

Adult and Adolescent Guidelines Panel Announces New Members

The Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) Panel on Antiretroviral Guidelines for Adults and Adolescents (a working group of the Office of AIDS Research Council) is pleased to welcome the following new members to the Panel. The new members will begin a 4-year term beginning February 2009.

New Scientific Members: 

Dodge, Ph.D., R.N., A.N.P. (University of North Carolina) Gordon, Ph.D. (National Institute of Mental

Health, NIH) , Ph.D. (Harvard University) Kapogiannis, M.D. (National Institute of Child Health & Human Development, NIH) Kuritzkes, M.D. (Harvard University) Mark Sulkowski, M.D. (s Hopkins University)

New Community Member:

Vergel (Houston, Texas)

The following members will be concluding their services to the Panel in February 2009. The Panel thanks them for their contributions over the years.

A. Cornelius Baker (National Black Gay Men's Advocacy Coalition) Carpenter, M.D. (Brown Medical School) Suzanne Willard, Ph.D., C.R.N.P. ( Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation)

Microbicide Fails to Demonstrate Efficacy in Phase III Testing

"A vaginal microbicide based on a seaweed-derived compound failed to prevent HIV infection during a randomized, placebo-controlled, double-blind Phase III trial in South Africa....

Among 3,011 women given the carra

geenan-based gel, Carraguard, HIV incidence was 3.3 per 100 woman-years. That compares to an HIV incidence of 3.8 per 100 woman-years among the 2,994 women given the placebo, ... a nonsignificant difference. In addition, there was no significant difference in time to seroconversion. "

CDC NPIN: Read the full story. PubMed: Read the study abstract. AIDSinfo: Carrageenan Drug Fact Sheet AIDSinfo: Microbicide Health Topics

Antibody Treatment Shows Promise in SIV-Infected Monkeys

"Nine rhesus macaque monkeys infected with a virus known

as SIV underwent treatment and remain alive eight months later. The treatment appears to work by preventing virus[-infected] cells from fooling the immune system.

There's no guarantee that the treatment will work in people. But if it's effective in humans, the treatment could allow patients to avoid taking AIDS drugs for the rest of their lives, said study co-author Rama Rao Amara, an assistant professor at Emory University's Yerkes National Primate Research Center. ...

In the new study, Amara and colleagues injected nine monkeys with an antibody that blocks a kind of 'don't kill me' signal that cells infected with simian immunodeficiency virus (SIV) send to immune cells.

When the SIV-infected cells emit the signal, 'the killer cell thinks, "You are not my enemy. You're my friend,''' Amara said. But when the signal is blocked, the killer immune cells can do their job and wipe out the virus."

MedlinePlus: Read the full story.

New HIV/AIDS trials have been added to ClinicalTrials.gov in the last 30 days. For a list of trials click here.

Please send comments or suggestions to

ContactUs@...

You are currently subscribed to aidsinfo_e_news as: powertx@...

To unsubscribe Click here and send a blank email.

Subscribe to AIDSinfo list serv here

Click on the Live Help button on the AIDSinfo home page and communicate with the staff in "real time."   -or-

Telephone: 800-448-0440

International Telephone:

301-519-0459

TTY/TDD: 888-480-3739

Fax: 301-519-6616

E-mail:

ContactUs@...

ISSN 1558-3228

Listen to 350+ music, sports, news radio stations including songs for the holidays FREE while you browse. Start Listening Now!