RemedySpot.com

Re: need informaton on HIV and Altzheimer or early aging

Rate this topic

Guest guest

HIV and AgingHIV Infection and Dementia in Older Adults: should we be concerned?The pathology typically attributed to Alzheimer disease has now been reported in .... Meanwhile, markers that were classically associated with Alzheimer's ...www.natap.org/2006/HIV/042506_02.htmHIV-associated Alzheimer's disease in the Future? - (09/16/08)Mitochondrial biology and oxidative stress in Parkinson disease pathogenesis - (11/18/08)Impaired insulin secretion increases the risk of Alzheimer disease - (10/03/08)Visceral Adiposity & Insulin Impairment & Dementia/Alzheimer's - (10/03/08)Alzheimer's Disease Risk Factors: metabolics-diabetes, cholesterol--, genetics, lifesyle - (09/18/08)On Dec 1, 2008, at 7:44:04 PM, Kurt <livingthelava@...> wrote:From:Kurt <livingthelava@...>Subject: need informaton on HIV and Altzheimer or early agingDate:December 1, 2008 7:44:04 PM ESTCan anyone send me information on HIV or AIDS and it causing Alzheimer or early again. I hear there are some good articles, but, I just can't find them when googling. Seeing the neurologist in the morning. thanks. larry------------------------------------Welcome to our group!If you received this email from someone who forwarded it to you and would like to join this group, send a blank email to -subscribe and you will get an email with instructions to follow.You can chose to receive single emails or a daily digest (collection of emails). You can post pictures, images, attach files and search by keyword old postings in the group.For those of you who are members already and want to switch from single emails to digest or vice versa, visit www., click on , then on "edit my membership" and go down to your selection. The list administrator does not process any requests, so this is a do-it-yourself easy process ! :)Thanks for joining. You will learn and share a lot in this group!NOTE: I moderate, approve or disapprove emails before they are posted. Please follow the guidelines shown in the homepage. I will not allow rudeness, sexually explicit material, attacks, and anyone who does not follow the rules. If you are not OK with this, please do not join the group. Forward this email to anyone who may benefit from this information! Thanks!In Health, Vergel (PoWeRTX@...)List Founder and Moderator

chers---great links. what distinctions can you make in the first article between alzheimer's disease and AIDS-related dementia? are the studies saying they might be separate conditions? with similar mechanisms but different causes? similar to PI-generated diabetes? is the incidence of AIDS-related dementia significantly higher in the population with PI-generated diabetes? that might be a productive metastudy.

namaste---rkOn Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 3:10 AM, julev <JuLev@...> wrote:

HIV and Aging

HIV Infection and Dementia in Older Adults: should we be concerned?

The pathology typically attributed to Alzheimer disease has now been reported in .... Meanwhile, markers that were classically associated with Alzheimer's ...

www.natap.org/2006/HIV/042506_02.htm

HIV-associated Alzheimer's disease in the Future? - (09/16/08)

Mitochondrial biology and oxidative stress in Parkinson disease pathogenesis - (11/18/08)

Impaired insulin secretion increases the risk of Alzheimer disease - (10/03/08)

Visceral Adiposity & Insulin Impairment & Dementia/Alzheimer's - (10/03/08)

Alzheimer's Disease Risk Factors: metabolics-diabetes, cholesterol--, genetics, lifesyle - (09/18/08)

-- dark and brightdeep and cloudedsinister and resilientsung and unpiece by piecepicture the truth ---richard kearns

rk@...http://aids-write.org

The incidence of HIV related dementia has decreased considerable since HAART started. It was associated with low CD4 cells counts and higher viral loads. However, there are a few studies that show that some of us may be more prone to cognitive problems as we age. Many of us complain of declining memory (short term and long term) even with undectectable viral load. Jules has posted several studies on this regard. There have been no studies that show higher incidence of Alzheimers, but there have not been a lot of us that have lived over 60 years of age to prove if that is true.

Regards, Vergelpowerusa.org

In a message dated 12/5/2008 10:11:24 A.M. Central Standard Time, rk@... writes:

chers---great links. what distinctions can you make in the first article between alzheimer's disease and AIDS-related dementia? are the studies saying they might be separate conditions? with similar mechanisms but different causes? similar to PI-generated diabetes? is the incidence of AIDS-related dementia significantly higher in the population with PI-generated diabetes? that might be a productive metastudy.namaste---rk

On Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 3:10 AM, julev <JuLev@...> wrote:

HIV and Aging

HIV Infection and Dementia in Older Adults: should we be concerned?

The pathology typically attributed to Alzheimer disease has now been reported in .... Meanwhile, markers that were classically associated with Alzheimer's ...www.natap.org/2006/HIV/042506_02.htm

HIV-associated Alzheimer's disease in the Future? - (09/16/08)

Mitochondrial biology and oxidative stress in Parkinson disease pathogenesis - (11/18/08)

Impaired insulin secretion increases the risk of Alzheimer disease - (10/03/08)

Visceral Adiposity & Insulin Impairment & Dementia/Alzheimer's - (10/03/08)

Alzheimer's Disease Risk Factors: metabolics-diabetes, cholesterol--, genetics, lifesyle - (09/18/08)-- dark and brightdeep and cloudedsinister and resilientsung and unpiece by piecepicture the truth ---richard kearnsrk@...http://aids-write.org Make your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

Larry, I don't know the particulars of your situation, but this might be

something to consider. I am now 51. At 50, I thought I was losing my mind. I

couldn't concentrate. I couldn't keep my checkbook balanced because I was making

mistakes in simple addition and subtraction. I started forgetting things. My

partner began questioning my judgement and decision-making process. I was

referred to a neurologist and had a brain MRI which revealed that there was

nothing wrong organically but still didn't explain what was happening to me.

Shortly after, another doctor told me that there was a drug interaction between

the Sustiva I had started a while back and the itraconazole (Sporanox) I had

been taking long-term to treat an ongoing fungal lung infection, allergic

bronchopulmonary aspergillosis. The Sustiva negated the therapeutic effect of

the Sporanox, so the fungal infection wasn't being treated any longer and had

returned to an infective level, while the Sporanox doubled the effectiveness

(AND THE NEUROLOGIC SIDE EFFECTS) of the Sustiva.

I was switched to VFEND (Voriconazole), a more appropriate and effective

anti-fungal, at a double-dose, and was switched to a half-dose of Sustiva for

the four months that I continued anti-fungal treatment. Sustiva apparently has

that same negating/doubling relationship with ALL anti-fungals as well as with

many other drugs. The Aspergillus cleared to an asymptomatic level, but I will

most likely always be colonized by it and some of the other bacterial lung

infections that I've been treated for, I'm just keeping them all at bay for the

time being. After the four months on VFEND, I returned to a full dose of Sustiva

for my HIV and was able to stop active treatment of the fungus.

The bottom line is that I wasn't losing my mind, didn't have AIDS dementia or

the early onset of Alzheimer's like I had feared, I was just suffering from a

bad drug interaction. I still make occasional mistakes in simple math, I

occasionally forget things, but I do have my good judgement back, at least most

of the time. I think.

Hope this helps. + Joe

"great links. what distinctions can you make in the first article betweenalzheimer's disease and AIDS-related dementia? are the studies saying theymight be separate conditions? with similar mechanisms but different causes?similar to PI-generated diabetes? is the incidence of AIDS-related dementiasignificantly higher in the population with PI-generated diabetes? thatmight be a productive metastudy."Alzheimer's is quite distinct from HIV related dementia. These are separate conditions.While both cause diminished mental capacity, there are distinct and different pathologies at work. Treatments for one probably won't work for another.The concern is that the inflammatory background of HIV infection might pre-dispose to Alzheimer's.JB

, these are good articles, and there are a few more, one came out today in Newsweek, far to light on the issue, but, at least it is getting recognition.My doctor has been really clear from here conferences and circulars going around, that, there is a new kind of HIV dementia/alzheimer, it needs a new name and identity, as it is not the old version of dementia. I will so be entering a study on this issue, along with 500 others, as it is very real. I think, like in the early 80's we just have symptoms to go on, for now.larryOn Dec 4, 2008, at 2:58 PM, richard kearns wrote:chers---great links. what distinctions can you make in the first article between alzheimer's disease and AIDS-related dementia? are the studies saying they might be separate conditions? with similar mechanisms but different causes? similar to PI-generated diabetes? is the incidence of AIDS-related dementia significantly higher in the population with PI-generated diabetes? that might be a productive metastudy. namaste---rkOn Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 3:10 AM, julev <JuLev@...> wrote: HIV and Aging HIV Infection and Dementia in Older Adults: should we be concerned? The pathology typically attributed to Alzheimer disease has now been reported in .... Meanwhile, markers that were classically associated with Alzheimer's ... www.natap.org/2006/HIV/042506_02.htm HIV-associated Alzheimer's disease in the Future? - (09/16/08) Mitochondrial biology and oxidative stress in Parkinson disease pathogenesis - (11/18/08) Impaired insulin secretion increases the risk of Alzheimer disease - (10/03/08) Visceral Adiposity & Insulin Impairment & Dementia/Alzheimer's - (10/03/08) Alzheimer's Disease Risk Factors: metabolics-diabetes, cholesterol--, genetics, lifesyle - (09/18/08) -- dark and brightdeep and cloudedsinister and resilientsung and unpiece by piecepicture the truth ---richard kearns rk@...http://aids-write.org

Another concern regarding the risk for Alzheimer's is that HIV affects the brain in a way similar to the way Alzheimer's does, so that's why there is a concern for added risk as HIV+ age. The research into this question and others related to the brain and CNS has been too limited and has not yet addressed many of the key questions related to aging or for younger persons. There as been a preliminary small look at people 50-59 and they did not find an additional Alzeimer's risk but clearly more work needs to be done and they need to look at persons 60-70.JulesOn Dec 5, 2008, at 5:55:28 PM, " Barrow" <pozbod@...> wrote:From:" Barrow" <pozbod@...>Subject: Re: need informaton on HIV and Altzheimer or early agingDate:December 5, 2008 5:55:28 PM EST"great links. what distinctions can you make in the first article betweenalzheimer's disease and AIDS-related dementia? are the studies saying theymight be separate conditions? with similar mechanisms but different causes?similar to PI-generated diabetes? is the incidence of AIDS-related dementiasignificantly higher in the population with PI-generated diabetes? thatmight be a productive metastudy."Alzheimer's is quite distinct from HIV related dementia.  These are separate conditions.While both cause diminished mental capacity, there are distinct and different pathologies at work.   Treatments for one probably won't work for another.The co ncern is that the inflammatory background of HIV infection might pre-dispose to Alzheimer's.JB

Yes Larry is correct, before ART there was a certain type of affect on the brain by HIV but now after HAART there is a different type of affect they are seeing and it is not understood, and rates of cognitive impairment both subtle and moderate are up, HAART has not necessarily reduced overall rates; for some people CNS function has improved, for some it has not changed, and for some they have developed impairment. In the Aging section on the NATAP website are many research articles and publications regarding these questions.JulesOn Dec 5, 2008, at 6:47:45 PM, livingthelava <livingthelava@...> wrote:From:livingthelava <livingthelava@...>Subject:Re: need informaton on HIV and Altzheimer or early agingDate:December 5, 2008 6:47:45 PM ESTTo:"richard kearns" <rk@...>Cc:julev <JuLev@...>,  , these are good articles, and there are a few more, one came out today in Newsweek, far to light on the issue, but, at least it is getting recognition.My doctor has been really clear from here conferences and circulars going around, that, there is a new kind of HIV dementia/alzheimer, it needs a new name and identity, as it is not the old version of dementia.  I will so be entering a study on this issue, along with 500 others, as it is very real.  I think, like in the early 80's we just have symptoms to go on, for now.larryOn Dec 4, 2008, at 2:58 PM, richard kearns wrote:chers---great links. what distinctions can you make in the first article between alzheimer's disease and AIDS-related dementia? are the studies saying they might be separate conditions? with similar mechanisms but different causes? similar to PI-generated diabetes? is the incidence of AIDS-related dementia significantly higher in the population with PI-generated diabetes? that might be a productive metastudy.namaste---rkOn Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 3:10 AM, julev <JuLev@...> wrote:HIV and AgingHIV Infection and Dementia in Older Adults: should we be concerned?The pathology typically attributed to Alzheimer disease has now been reported in .... Meanwhile, markers that were classically associated with Alzheimer's ...www.natap.org/2006/HIV/042506_02.htmHIV-associated Alzheimer's disease in the Future? - (09/16/08)Mitochondrial biology and oxidative stress in Parkinson disease pathogenesis - (11/18/08)Impaired insulin secretion increases the risk of Alzheimer disease - (10/03/08)Visceral Adiposity & Insulin Impairment & Dementia/Alzheimer's - (10/03/08)Alzheimer's Disease Risk Factors: metabolics-diabetes, cholesterol--, genetics, lifesyle - (09/18/08)-- dark and brightdeep and cloudedsinister and resilientsung and unpiece by piecepicture the truth    ---richard kearnsrk@...http://aids-write.org

"Yes Larry is correct, before ART there was a certain type of affect on the brain by HIV but now after HAART there is a different type of affect they are seeing and it is not understood, and rates of cognitive impairment both subtle and moderate are up, HAART has not necessarily reduced overall rates; for some people CNS function has improved, for some it has not changed, and for some they have developed impairment. In the Aging section on the NATAP website are many research articles and publications regarding these questions."I'd just put it like this:there is still quite a bit of "cognitive impairment" that is measurable in people living with HIV, and there is a real concern that HIV cognitive impairment will be a worsening problem, and that the chronich inflammation of HIV infection, even treated, could theoretically increase the risk of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's. There just aren't enough data out there, yet.In the meantime, the things that you can do NOW that offer some protection are basically the things you can do to reduce your risk of cardiovascular disease. Much of the HIV related dementia seen in older folks, at this point, seems to be vascular in origin.So:NO SMOKINGExcercise, especially cardio.NO SMOKINGcontrol your blood lipids.Control weightControl glucoseand most of allNO DAMN SMOKINGJB

thank you so much, my new doctor and you agree, but, I get a ton of crap from others that just sluff it off, I am 52, poz for 13 years, and in the last 14 months my brain has turned to mush, so thanks. larryOn Dec 6, 2008, at 4:18 AM, julev wrote:Yes Larry is correct, before ART there was a certain type of affect on the brain by HIV but now after HAART there is a different type of affect they are seeing and it is not understood, and rates of cognitive impairment both subtle and moderate are up, HAART has not necessarily reduced overall rates; for some people CNS function has improved, for some it has not changed, and for some they have developed impairment. In the Aging section on the NATAP website are many research articles and publications regarding these questions.JulesOn Dec 5, 2008, at 6:47:45 PM, livingthelava <livingthelava@...> wrote:From:livingthelava <livingthelava@...>Subject:Re: need informaton on HIV and Altzheimer or early agingDate:December 5, 2008 6:47:45 PM ESTTo:"richard kearns" <rk@...>Cc:julev <JuLev@...>, , these are good articles, and there are a few more, one came out today in Newsweek, far to light on the issue, but, at least it is getting recognition.My doctor has been really clear from here conferences and circulars going around, that, there is a new kind of HIV dementia/alzheimer, it needs a new name and identity, as it is not the old version of dementia. I will so be entering a study on this issue, along with 500 others, as it is very real. I think, like in the early 80's we just have symptoms to go on, for now.larryOn Dec 4, 2008, at 2:58 PM, richard kearns wrote:chers---great links. what distinctions can you make in the first article between alzheimer's disease and AIDS-related dementia? are the studies saying they might be separate conditions? with similar mechanisms but different causes? similar to PI-generated diabetes? is the incidence of AIDS-related dementia significantly higher in the population with PI-generated diabetes? that might be a productive metastudy.namaste---rkOn Wed, Dec 3, 2008 at 3:10 AM, julev <JuLev@...> wrote:HIV and AgingHIV Infection and Dementia in Older Adults: should we be concerned?The pathology typically attributed to Alzheimer disease has now been reported in .... Meanwhile, markers that were classically associated with Alzheimer's ...www.natap.org/2006/HIV/042506_02.htmHIV-associated Alzheimer's disease in the Future? - (09/16/08)Mitochondrial biology and oxidative stress in Parkinson disease pathogenesis - (11/18/08)Impaired insulin secretion increases the risk of Alzheimer disease - (10/03/08)Visceral Adiposity & Insulin Impairment & Dementia/Alzheimer's - (10/03/08)Alzheimer's Disease Risk Factors: metabolics-diabetes, cholesterol--, genetics, lifesyle - (09/18/08)-- dark and brightdeep and cloudedsinister and resilientsung and unpiece by piecepicture the truth ---richard kearnsrk@...http://aids-write.org