RemedySpot.com

Just a comment about Gynecomastia (male breasts) and Sustiva and other meds

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I swear I have been hearing more about people getting Gynecomastia after long term treatment with Sustiva specially and other hiv meds. I am hearing it among friends and even on postings on this site. I am guessing this is just gonna be another side symptom lumped into the lipodystrophy/lipoatrophy and side effects barrel.

I know it happens even without hiv meds, but it really seems to be happening more and more.

Mine started with what I thought was lumps in my breast tissue (was worried cause my family carries a breast cancer gene, and men can get it too) but in having that checked out, two docs mentioned I was getting gyno.

I tried a course of DHT (a specialized testosterone) gel specially compounded but it did nothing but make my hair thin. I am now on Tamoxifen, its not very expensive I am on 20 mg sometime 10 mg (as it saps your sex drive and dries my skin out). It will not work in a matter of weeks, but in many months if its gonna work. Probably more like 9 months or so. It took along time to develop so I guess a long time to go away. What Tamoxifen does it prevent the estrogen like compounds (coming from the Sustiva I suppose) from going to the breast area.

I am hoping it works, but I also have some fear of it actually causing some lipoatrophy, I did a google search for Tamoxifen and lipodystrophy or lipoatrophy and did find some info on it possibly making that worse. AAARGGGH theres always something...But hopefully it will work cause it if was to get worse the only other option I know of is surgery...

But all that being said, the Sustiva is working wonderfully for me for a long long time now and I would not suggest anyone switch off of it. AlMake your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.