new member intro, question about sports

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello,

I am a new member, my name is Gavin Kinkade, and I was diagnosed just

over a year ago. I am still pretty healthy and currently not on meds

yet. My doctor wants me to start when my cd4 is below 500 and I am

hovering at about 560'ish give or take. I knew it used to be around

350 but new studies have doctors starting sooner.

Ok now for my question, I participate in a martial art form of sport,

not as violent as hockey but about as dangerous as baseball or

basketball, close to football to but i wear protective gear on my

head, neck, body, arms, and legs. The other day my daughter and I got

in a tift, and well I used my infections as part of the argument, and

well she got mad, and emailed her mother, (we were divoreced 14 years

ogo) and my friend. My friend and I participate in this sport and he

has freaked out about the fact that I am taking a risk and by not

telling them about my condition feels I am wrong and should not

participate.

He then proceded to tell the other people in our group of sportsman,

and they all now know about my condition. So in order to head off the

onslaught of pain and anger, I composed an email and found some

sources online about athletes and hiv and the sports they play.

I have also told them that I consulted my doctor explained that i

could get hurt and asked if he thought I should get involved. HE said

so long as I made sure I was proteted with pads and protective gear,

and that if I start bleeding from a cut to stop and take care of it

before continuing that I should be fine.

So my questions is do you think HIV pos. athletes should be allowed

in physical sports? My group does not have any bylaws preventing me

from participating, but I feel the question may soon be raised, and

brought to a vote. And a new bylaw may be enacted preventing me from

participating anymore.

Thanks and Peace

G

Dear G

You will probably enjoy reading this article

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0217.htm

Regards, Vergelpowerusa.org

In a message dated 12/11/2008 2:50:56 P.M. Central Standard Time, gavin.kinkade@... writes:

So my questions is do you think HIV pos. athletes should be allowed in physical sports? My group does not have any bylaws preventing me from participating, but I feel the question may soon be raised, and brought to a vote. And a new bylaw may be enacted preventing me from participating anymore.Thanks and PeaceGMake your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

Dear G

You will probably enjoy reading this article

http://www.pponline.co.uk/encyc/0217.htm

Regards, Vergelpowerusa.org

In a message dated 12/11/2008 2:50:56 P.M. Central Standard Time, gavin.kinkade@... writes:

So my questions is do you think HIV pos. athletes should be allowed in physical sports? My group does not have any bylaws preventing me from participating, but I feel the question may soon be raised, and brought to a vote. And a new bylaw may be enacted preventing me from participating anymore.Thanks and PeaceGMake your life easier with all your friends, email, and favorite sites in one place. Try it now.

"So my questions is do you think HIV pos. athletes should be allowed in physical sports? My group does not have any bylaws preventing me from participating, but I feel the question may soon be raised, and brought to a vote. And a new bylaw may be enacted preventing me from participating anymore."Unless your sport, like perhaps boxing or mixed martial arts, results in predictable blood loss, then, I have no issues, and I think your partner was way out of line.If they make such by laws, they will probably open themselves up for lawsuits.People with HIV should live as "normally" as possible. HIV is simply not casually transmitted.JB

"So my questions is do you think HIV pos. athletes should be allowed in physical sports? My group does not have any bylaws preventing me from participating, but I feel the question may soon be raised, and brought to a vote. And a new bylaw may be enacted preventing me from participating anymore."Unless your sport, like perhaps boxing or mixed martial arts, results in predictable blood loss, then, I have no issues, and I think your partner was way out of line.If they make such by laws, they will probably open themselves up for lawsuits.People with HIV should live as "normally" as possible. HIV is simply not casually transmitted.JB

Hi ,Regardless what i say here, to help you out, your club may still shun you.--no one in your club is free from transmittable viruses that cause all sorts of things, take a look at this article about the 100 HPVz, how they cause cancer and can be transmitted by easy kissing, depending on the virus. Human papillomavirus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopediaMy argument and observation is: your virus has become public with the club, thier own viruses has not and most likely will not, still I have no problem letting these people know they are not above carrying viruses, that could still infect you and others, unknowingly. Everyone, needs to observe the same sanitation rules, as advised by your doctor in your email. I consider it impossible for the others to understand they are carriers of other viruses, they don't want to the hear it or know it, but, you have a chance for them to understand they are carries too, and you should remain equal and viable in your club. Let them know you don't want to catch what they have and everyone should be observing good sanitation, there should be no singling you out.On the other side, the media and general public has created such a hysteria over the past 30 years about HIV/AIDS, that the stigma can not be overcome sometimes, and we learn to make a new chapter in our lives. larryOn Dec 11, 2008, at 11:42 AM, Oakes wrote:Hello, I am a new member, my name is Gavin Kinkade, and I was diagnosed just over a year ago. I am still pretty healthy and currently not on meds yet. My doctor wants me to start when my cd4 is below 500 and I am hovering at about 560'ish give or take. I knew it used to be around 350 but new studies have doctors starting sooner.Ok now for my question, I participate in a martial art form of sport, not as violent as hockey but about as dangerous as baseball or basketball, close to football to but i wear protective gear on my head, neck, body, arms, and legs. The other day my daughter and I got in a tift, and well I used my infections as part of the argument, and well she got mad, and emailed her mother, (we were divoreced 14 years ogo) and my friend. My friend and I participate in this sport and he has freaked out about the fact that I am taking a risk and by not telling them about my condition feels I am wrong and should not participate.He then proceded to tell the other people in our group of sportsman, and they all now know about my condition. So in order to head off the onslaught of pain and anger, I composed an email and found some sources online about athletes and hiv and the sports they play.I have also told them that I consulted my doctor explained that i could get hurt and asked if he thought I should get involved. HE said so long as I made sure I was proteted with pads and protective gear, and that if I start bleeding from a cut to stop and take care of it before continuing that I should be fine. So my questions is do you think HIV pos. athletes should be allowed in physical sports? My group does not have any bylaws preventing me from participating, but I feel the question may soon be raised, and brought to a vote. And a new bylaw may be enacted preventing me from participating anymore.Thanks and PeaceG