RemedySpot.com

Re: Disability Oct. 10, 2008

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Don,I'm in the same position as you. I've been on LTD from my former employer for over 13 years, and each year I get a form from the insurer that my doctor has to fill out to certify my continued disability. I've never had a problem getting it approved but I do worry about it. My doctor has always been very cooperative in filling out the form, so knowing that he's on my side helps ease my worries.Whenever you visit your doctor, make sure to "remind" him or her of the physical and mental issues that are preventing you from working. That way, your medical file will continue to support your claim for disability.I don't know anyone on disability who isn't concerned about their insurer cutting them off.AllanOn Dec 13, 2008, at 8:55 PM, Don Kennedy wrote:I have been on disability for 12 years.  My physical health is for the most part really good. I have on-going issues with facial lipoatrophy and abdominal lipodystrophy, gynocamastia, depression, fatigue,  and most frustratingly, no libido, etc. I have SSD, and I also receive LTD from Cigna provided through my former employer, Sprint.  Every year, Cigna sends me a form to get an update on my health.  I am 54 and have not worked for 12 years.  I do not want to go back to work.  I am afraid at some point Cigna is going to say, "Mr. Kennedy, you are not disabled", and stop my income from LTD. Anyone care to share your experiences, insight, opinions?ThanksDon Kennedy

I share your concerns...

I've been disabled for almost 5 years but my numbers have been looking

better lately (due to salvage therapy including Fuzeon injects 2's

daily). I still have the fatigue, diarrhea, difficulty concentrating,

etc, but my fear is my DB insurer will look at the numbers and decide

I should go back to work... I'm 54, out of the work force for 5 years

and don't feel it likely that I could go back to work and earn what I

once did.

My only advice would be to be sure you repeat ALL of your symptoms at

each doctor's visit... although you may be having a good day, you need

to document your ongoing problems so they are reflected in your file.

>

> I have been on disability for 12 years.  My physical health is for

the most part really good.

>  

> I have on-going issues with facial lipoatrophy and abdominal

lipodystrophy, gynocamastia, depression, fatigue,  and most

frustratingly, no libido, etc.

>  

> I have SSD, and I also receive LTD from Cigna provided through my

former employer, Sprint.  Every year, Cigna sends me a form to get an

update on my health.  I am 54 and have not worked for 12 years.  I do

not want to go back to work.  I am afraid at some point Cigna is going

to say, " Mr. Kennedy, you are not disabled " , and stop my income from LTD.

>  

> Anyone care to share your experiences, insight, opinions?

> Thanks

>

> Don Kennedy

>

"I have SSD, and I also receive LTD from Cigna provided through my former employer, Sprint. Every year, Cigna sends me a form to get an update on my health. I am 54 and have not worked for 12 years. I do not want to go back to work. I am afraid at some point Cigna is going to say, "Mr. Kennedy, you are not disabled", and stop my income from LTD."I understand your fears.A friend of mine who deals with these issues as a doctor of physical medicine tells me that after a certain number of years, they move you into an "inactive" file, and that unless you are seen on network TV doing an excercise show or run for office, or go back to your old job without telling anyone, you get left pretty much alone.With all of the collapsing stock portfolios, I do worry that insurers might be looking for places to cut losses, and get more aggressive.JB