RemedySpot.com

NATAP: Acute HCV in HIV+ MSM-Accelerated Progression

Rate this topic

Guest guest

An On-going Outbreak of Acute HCV in HIV-infected Men in New York ...(AASLD) Oct 31-Nov 1 2008. San Francisco, CA, Back · grey_arrow_rt.gif ... We have identified an outbreak of acute hepatitis C infection in New York City and ... men who havesex with men (MSM) with acute HCV infection in New York City. ...www.natap.org/2008/AASLD/AASLD_05.htm"Moderately advanced liver fibrosis was seen during the acute phase and in the early chronic phase in almost every patient evaluated suggesting far more rapid fibrosis progression than previously reported in patients with HIV infection..... We therefore recommend that HIV-infected MSM be considered a risk group for HCV infection and that at least yearly screening for HCV antibody be performed in a addition to quarterly surveillance of LFTs. The occurrence of a second episode of acute HCV in one patient underscores the need to better educate these patients about the risks as well."....On Dec 29, 2008, at 2:42:55 PM, PoWeRTX@... wrote:From:PoWeRTX@...Subject:Re: Re:NATAP: Sexual HCV Superinfection in HIV+Date:December 29, 2008 2:42:55 PM ESTTo:pozbod@...,  Yeah, I know a guy who got Hep C through fisting.  Got it treated sucessfully, and then got infected again with Hep C through fisting.  He is also HIV poz Re:NATAP: Sexual HCV Superinfection in HIV+"Sexually transmitted hepatitis C virus superinfection in HIV ..."I keep hearing of more and more new Hep C infections.    It is alarming.JBListen to 350+ music, sports, & news radio stations – including songs for the holidays – FREE while you browse. Start Listening Now!

People who contract HCV, a certain percent clear the virus on their own, I forget the % but I think its about 15%, their immune system mounts a response to clear it. Early therapy with peginterferon plus ribavirin has a high rate of clearance for individuals who treat quickly after acute infection. For the HIV+ person it is less likely to clear HCV on their own since the immune system is damaged; response rates to peg/RBv are lower although still higher than response rates for chronic infection; another point is that there is a little research reported in the first ink below saying that if an HIV+ person contracts acute HCV liver disease progression may accelerate.Jules LevinOn Jan 1, 2009, at 12:07:48 PM, livingthelava <livingthelava@...> wrote:From:livingthelava <livingthelava@...>Subject:Re: NATAP: Acute HCV in HIV+ MSM-Accelerated ProgressionDate:January 1, 2009 12:07:48 PM ESTTo:julev <JuLev@...>Cc:PoWeRTX@..., pozbod@...,  Question:  Wiki says this: and I am wondering, if there is no vaccine, how and what anti-viral is used to get clear the liver/body of the virus?  larryThe hepatitis C virus (HCV) is spread by blood-to-blood contact. No vaccine against hepatitis C is available. The symptoms of infection can be medically managed, and a proportion of patients can be cleared of the virus by a course of anti-viral medicines. Although early medical intervention is helpful, people with HCV infection can experience mild symptoms, and consequently do not seek treatment.[1] An estimated 150-200 million people worldwide are infected with hepatitis C.On Dec 29, 2008, at 7:02 PM, julev wrote:An On-going Outbreak of Acute HCV in HIV-infected Men in New York ...(AASLD) Oct 31-Nov 1 2008. San Francisco, CA, Back · grey_arrow_rt.gif ... We have identified an outbreak of acute hepatitis C infection in New York City and ... men who havesex with men (MSM) with acute HCV infection in New York City. ...www.natap.org/2008/AASLD/AASLD_05.htm"Moderately advanced liver fibrosis was seen during the acute phase and in the early chronic phase in almost every patient evaluated suggesting far more rapid fibrosis progression than previously reported in patients with HIV infection..... We therefore recommend that HIV-infected MSM be considered a risk group for HCV infection and that at least yearly screening for HCV antibody be performed in a addition to quarterly surveillance of LFTs. The occurrence of a second episode of acute HCV in one patient underscores the need to better educate these patients about the risks as well."....On Dec 29, 2008, at 2:42:55 PM, PoWeRTXaol wrote:From:PoWeRTXaolSubject:Re: Re:NATAP: Sexual HCV Superinfection in HIV+Date:December 29, 2008 2:42:55 PM ESTTo:pozbodearthlink (DOT) net,  Yeah, I know a guy who got Hep C through fisting.  Got it treated sucessfully, and then got infected again with Hep C through fisting.  He is also HIV poz Re:NATAP: Sexual HCV Superinfection in HIV+"Sexually transmitted hepatitis C virus superinfection in HIV ..."I keep hearing of more and more new Hep C infections.    It is alarming.JBListen to 350+ music, sports, & news radio stations – including songs for the holidays – FREE while you browse. Start Listening Now!