RemedySpot.com

Re: Stress, depression and the holidays: 12 tips for coping

Rate this topic

Guest guest

In , PoWeRTX@... wrote [in part]:...For some people, the holidays bring unwelcome guests â€" stress and depression. And it's no wonder. In an effort to pull off a perfect Hallmark holiday, you might find yourself facing a dizzying array of demands...

I've always thought it unfortunate that more and more over the years, the meaning of Christmas has become defined by a shopping trip. This phenomenon in no small part had led to the stress and/or depression that may be visited upon us. Feelings can be hurt, spirits can be broken, when it's not the "right" gift, the "right" price, one gave but didn't receive a gift, etc.

You turn on the national or local news right at this time of year and see the tired masses of people hoofing through the malls and bitching that they still have ten (or whatever) more people they "have" to buy gifts for. Then on December 26, the malls are flooded again when people take back the stuff they got which they don't want! Everyone's right back where they started?

Of course, to each their own. To me, personally, Christmas is more about a spirit of kindness, both to one's self and others. It's about striving to treat others as one would wish to be treated. It's about trying to walk in someone else's shoes to better understand them. It's about seeking to realize what's important in life. Few if any of us will completely achieve these things, and they likely aren't easy, but they are worthy goals of which not to lose sight. Just my opinion.