RemedySpot.com

X-Ray Results: Can you help us? 16 degree curve, Watch and Wait?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello,

Well we finally got the report back from Children's Hospital. Our pediatrician

seemed to think that all we could do is watch and wait. He is sending the report

to an orthopedic surgeon we think who will let us know for sure. There is a year

and a half wait list to get in to see an orthopedic surgeon here in British

Columbia, Canada. We have read that many cases of infantile scoliosis correct

themselves and we have also read that they can progress quite badly. Are the

cases that worsen referring to the cases that do not correct themselves? Is it

better to treat it early? We don't want to wait that long and later find out

that she should have been treated sooner.

Our little girl, Daisy-Rose is 9 months old. She was 8 months old at the time of

the x-rays. Here are the results;

" Scoliosis convex to the left measuring 16 degrees is present in the

thoracolumbar spine. I do not see a definite focal bony abnormality to account

for this scoliosis.

The lungs are clear. The heart is not enlarged. No pleual or mediastinal

abnormality is see.

No abnormality is seen related to the abdominal gas pattern. "

If casting is recommended, how do we go about getting treatment? Do we send the

results to one of the Shriner's Hospitals? Our pediatrician is not familiar with

casting.

Thanks very much for any help,

Elaine and .

Guest guest

Dr R at BC Childrens is castung my son. He is awesome !! There is only 2 spine Drs in bc as you can see.with the long way list. At 16* its not really considered scoliosis yet. I would watch it and get you pedal to do follow up xrays to make.sure its not progressing while on The way list. If it is changing rapidly your ped can speed up the wait time buy saying its urgent ect or you could.apply to a shrines hospital. They won't cast her now as.the.curve is so small. Sent from Samsung Mobile

wrote:

Hello,

Well we finally got the report back from Children's Hospital. Our pediatrician seemed to think that all we could do is watch and wait. He is sending the report to an orthopedic surgeon we think who will let us know for sure. There is a year and a half wait list to get in to see an orthopedic surgeon here in British Columbia, Canada. We have read that many cases of infantile scoliosis correct themselves and we have also read that they can progress quite badly. Are the cases that worsen referring to the cases that do not correct themselves? Is it better to treat it early? We don't want to wait that long and later find out that she should have been treated sooner.

Our little girl, Daisy-Rose is 9 months old. She was 8 months old at the time of the x-rays. Here are the results;

"Scoliosis convex to the left measuring 16 degrees is present in the thoracolumbar spine. I do not see a definite focal bony abnormality to account for this scoliosis.

The lungs are clear. The heart is not enlarged. No pleual or mediastinal abnormality is see.

No abnormality is seen related to the abdominal gas pattern."

If casting is recommended, how do we go about getting treatment? Do we send the results to one of the Shriner's Hospitals? Our pediatrician is not familiar with casting.

Elaine and .

Guest guest

SO anything over 10* standing is considered scoliosis.  I would say that at 16* laying down that you would likely be in the 20's standing.  What is the rotation like? What I would do is start the process of getting into a shriners who does mehta casting and follow up with x-rays in 2 months and see where you are. If they can get you in sooner fantastic!  We have a baby (our second  with IS) who is 8 laying down so 12-15 standing (our best guess).  We were told by our casting doctor to follow up in 3 months - though he was 18 months and not growing as fast.  

Anyways, start the process so if you need treatment you are already well on your way. Jenn Mommy to Cole & Max

Guest guest

Hi,

I'll share my experience since our daughters' measurements and ages are similar.

We are currently in a wait and watch with our little one, Lucy. Lucy had an

x-ray early January when she was 5.5 mos b/c she has a rib hump. The x-ray

results came back 19 degree curve and 6 degree RVAD. Childrens hospital Boston

advised us to come back in 4.5 mos (or sooner if any changes). We also went to

Rochester NY and they advised the same thing.

We have our follow up appt in two weeks at Boston Childrens. Lucy still has a

curve and rib hump but no worse I think. I will post a picture of her back

taken last w/e and will follow up after her appt with her updated measurements

and plan.

You definitely need a plan should Daisy-Rose's condition worsen, and you have

made the right first step by joining this amazing community.

All the best.

Chris

>

> Hello,

> Well we finally got the report back from Children's Hospital. Our pediatrician

seemed to think that all we could do is watch and wait. He is sending the report

to an orthopedic surgeon we think who will let us know for sure. There is a year

and a half wait list to get in to see an orthopedic surgeon here in British

Columbia, Canada. We have read that many cases of infantile scoliosis correct

themselves and we have also read that they can progress quite badly. Are the

cases that worsen referring to the cases that do not correct themselves? Is it

better to treat it early? We don't want to wait that long and later find out

that she should have been treated sooner.

> Our little girl, Daisy-Rose is 9 months old. She was 8 months old at the time

of the x-rays. Here are the results;

>

> " Scoliosis convex to the left measuring 16 degrees is present in the

thoracolumbar spine. I do not see a definite focal bony abnormality to account

for this scoliosis.

>

> The lungs are clear. The heart is not enlarged. No pleual or mediastinal

abnormality is see.

> No abnormality is seen related to the abdominal gas pattern. "

>

> If casting is recommended, how do we go about getting treatment? Do we send

the results to one of the Shriner's Hospitals? Our pediatrician is not familiar

with casting.

> Thanks very much for any help,

> Elaine and .

>

Guest guest

Hello,It's a little more complicated than that.There are several things to be considered. First - scoliosis is three plane spine deformation.1. Cobb angle (the one you gave here). For adolescent scoliosis 20* is the border of progressive scoliosis. In infantile scoliosis Cobb angle is not the only measure. There are reported scoliosi with 15* which progressed badly but also the biggest one noted to resolve spontaneoulsy (without treatment) was 46*. 2. There is so called RVAD (rib vertebrea angle difference). It combines Cobb angle and rotation of the spine and says much about deformation of the rib cage.

Because of rapid growth of infants if the spine is "incorrectly kept by ribs" (high RVAD) there is big probability that deformation would rapidly worsen. Statistics say that for RVAD > 20*, 80% (some say even 90%) of the cases are progressive. So despite the Cobb angle RVAD>20* is strong recomendation for immediate treatment.3. It is very common that scoliosis is caused by other things (it's not idiopathic). Then it will progress if you don't stop the cause (other illnes).If scoliosis is resolving (90% of all cases) it should be observed, if it's progressive you must act quickly. So what you need is fast diagnosis. 16* suggests it is more probable that it could be resolving but there is still some probability that it's progressive. You should consult good doctor to be sure it's resolving. There also may be some other cause of scoliosis. As you

see it's a little more complicated.MP From: <davelainer@...> infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:16 AM Subject: X-Ray Results: Can you help us? 16 degree curve, Watch and Wait?

Hello,

Well we finally got the report back from Children's Hospital. Our pediatrician seemed to think that all we could do is watch and wait. He is sending the report to an orthopedic surgeon we think who will let us know for sure. There is a year and a half wait list to get in to see an orthopedic surgeon here in British Columbia, Canada. We have read that many cases of infantile scoliosis correct themselves and we have also read that they can progress quite badly. Are the cases that worsen referring to the cases that do not correct themselves? Is it better to treat it early? We don't want to wait that long and later find out that she should have been treated sooner.

Our little girl, Daisy-Rose is 9 months old. She was 8 months old at the time of the x-rays. Here are the results;

"Scoliosis convex to the left measuring 16 degrees is present in the thoracolumbar spine. I do not see a definite focal bony abnormality to account for this scoliosis.

The lungs are clear. The heart is not enlarged. No pleual or mediastinal abnormality is see.

No abnormality is seen related to the abdominal gas pattern."

If casting is recommended, how do we go about getting treatment? Do we send the results to one of the Shriner's Hospitals? Our pediatrician is not familiar with casting.

Elaine and .

Guest guest

First off I'm so sorry you are all going through this! None of us wants

to be faced with such uncertainty when our kids are involved! But that's

what it is uncertainty. I would suggest forming some kind of plan as you

are trying to do. Do you know the RVAD? Did you believe the X rays were

quality ones? My son was 15 mos when we first got X rays. X rays on

little ones are hard! I wouldn't put all my eggs in one X ray basket if

you know what i mean. Here's why:

our sons X rays as follows PRE treatment:

15 mos 25* laying down @ medical imaging office

15 1/2 mos 20* standing RVAD 17 @ Children's with peds ortho surgeon -

told " watch & wait "

19 mos 25-35* standing RVAD 25 @ children's with peds ortho surgeon - told

progressive diagnosis

20 mos 31* standing RVAD 10 @ Shriner's Salt Lake City casted the

following day

The last X ray before treatment at Shriner's is the only one I have ever

felt was quality. The others he was screaming, fighting, standing on one

foot... Even though Shriner's found his RVAD to be much lower then

previously thought & much under 20, casting was recommended because he had

15 - 20 * rotation & the docs experience told him it was still progressive

& that he felt we would be playing catch up later if we waited. That

being said when I was questioning if it was bracing time yet we were told

had we come in with a curve @ 15* or less he would not have been casted.

If it was me I would gather up all the records & X rays or MRI's you have

and send them to get another opinion. It seems like you need one or you

wouldn't be putting the question out there right? The initial phases of

applying to a Shriner's can be done over the phone & such so unless the

doc believes that your little one needs to be casted you may not even need

to travel yet.

Amber

> Hello,

>

> It's a little more complicated than that.

>

> There are several things to be considered. First - scoliosis is three

> plane spine deformation.

>

>

> 1. Cobb angle (the one you gave here). For adolescent scoliosis 20* is the

> border of progressive scoliosis. In infantile scoliosis Cobb angle is not

> the only measure. There are reported scoliosi with 15* which progressed

> badly but also the biggest one noted to resolve spontaneoulsy (without

> treatment) was 46*.

>

>

> 2. There is so called RVAD (rib vertebrea angle difference). It combines

> Cobb angle and rotation of the spine and says much about deformation of

> the rib cage. Because of rapid growth of infants if the spine is

> " incorrectly kept by ribs " (high RVAD) there is big probability that

> deformation would rapidly worsen. Statistics say that for RVAD > 20*, 80%

> (some say even 90%) of the cases are progressive. So despite the Cobb

> angle RVAD>20* is strong recomendation for immediate treatment.

>

> 3. It is very common that scoliosis is caused by other things (it's not

> idiopathic). Then it will progress if you don't stop the cause (other

> illnes).

>

> If scoliosis is resolving (90% of all cases) it should be observed, if

> it's progressive you must act quickly. So what you need is fast diagnosis.

> 16* suggests it is more probable that it could be resolving but there is

> still some probability that it's progressive. You should consult good

> doctor to be sure it's resolving. There also may be some other cause of

> scoliosis. As you see it's a little more complicated.

>

>

> MP

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> From: <davelainer@...>

> infantile scoliosis treatment

> Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:16 AM

> Subject: X-Ray Results: Can you help us? 16 degree

> curve, Watch and Wait?

>

>

>  

> Hello,

> Well we finally got the report back from Children's Hospital. Our

> pediatrician seemed to think that all we could do is watch and wait. He is

> sending the report to an orthopedic surgeon we think who will let us know

> for sure. There is a year and a half wait list to get in to see an

> orthopedic surgeon here in British Columbia, Canada. We have read that

> many cases of infantile scoliosis correct themselves and we have also read

> that they can progress quite badly. Are the cases that worsen referring to

> the cases that do not correct themselves? Is it better to treat it early?

> We don't want to wait that long and later find out that she should have

> been treated sooner.

> Our little girl, Daisy-Rose is 9 months old. She was 8 months old at the

> time of the x-rays. Here are the results;

>

> thoracolumbar spine. I do not see a definite focal bony abnormality to

> account for this scoliosis.

>

> abnormality is see.

>

> If casting is recommended, how do we go about getting treatment? Do we

> send the results to one of the Shriner's Hospitals? Our pediatrician is

> not familiar with casting.

> Elaine and .

>

>

>

Guest guest

Scoliosis is three dimensional curvature of the spine - two planes plus rotation.In fact, because of the way spine is built, it is not possible to have (in the long run) only curvature of the spine. In a short time there is a possility to have only curvature.If you have big curvature the spine will have to adapt by rotating verbetrae, if you have big rotation - then the gravity will induce curvature.In infantile scoliosis the situation is a little different because the bones (in fact these are not structured bones yet) are soft, infants usually lay down, the spine does not have the S shape and it's rather one big kyphosis. The correct curvature of the spine will form

later.And there is our infantile scoliosis. Some doctors even do not call it scoliosis (they say, that it will be scoliosis when correct curvature of the spine have formed). Some say it's not scoliosis that if there is only curvature (e.g. 15*). with no or little rotation. That's the opinions of doctors I heard - the doctors who never in their life have seen infantile scoliosis - they regard it as asymetry. You must remember that infantile scoliosis is very rare (1 in 10 000 and 90% are resolving, in my country it means 4 progressive scoliosis a year). In our discussion it does not matter how you call it - the spine does not have the correct shape and probably (if the scoliosis is progressive - 10%) it will not have it on its own. It must be helped as soon as possible (that's the place where Mehta casting comes). The clue is to distinguish the ones which are progressive (ro are suspected of being

progressive) from the ones which are resolving. 10* comes from the screening tests in adolescents (the biggest group of scoliosis, remember that infantile scoliosis is only about 1% of all scoliosis). In order not to make x-rays to the whole population there are some other methods like test and x-ray when it is positive. And that's the scoliosis most of doctors encounter during their practice.And by the way 14* may also progress as well (probability is very low). So there we end with the need of proper diagnosis. And that's why the Mehta paper about RVAD was a breakthough.MP From: Leggett <jennifer.leggett@...> infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Saturday, May 12, 2012 3:43 AM Subject: Re: X-Ray Results: Can you help us? 16 degree curve, Watch and Wait?

SO anything over 10* standing is considered scoliosis. I would say that at 16* laying down that you would likely be in the 20's standing. What is the rotation like? What I would do is start the process of getting into a shriners who does mehta casting and follow up with x-rays in 2 months and see where you are. If they can get you in sooner fantastic! We have a baby (our second with IS) who is 8 laying down so 12-15 standing (our best guess). We were told by our casting doctor to follow up in 3 months - though he was 18 months and not growing as fast.

Anyways, start the process so if you need treatment you are already well on your way. Jenn Mommy to Cole & Max

Guest guest

Were you able to get an RVAD measurement to determine if its progressive, or not? Are the cases that worsen referring to the cases that do not correct themselves? YesIs it better to treat it early? Yes If the curve is determined to be progressive, it will keep pace at the rate in which the child is growing and treatment should not be delayed. There is an article on Mehtas RVAD in the Files section of CAST. Check it out when you get a chance. HRH From: infantile scoliosis treatment [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 4:16 PMinfantile scoliosis treatment Subject: X-Ray Results: Can you help us? 16 degree curve, Watch and Wait? Hello,Well we finally got the report back from Children's Hospital. Our pediatrician seemed to think that all we could do is watch and wait. He is sending the report to an orthopedic surgeon we think who will let us know for sure. There is a year and a half wait list to get in to see an orthopedic surgeon here in British Columbia, Canada. We have read that many cases of infantile scoliosis correct themselves and we have also read that they can progress quite badly. Are the cases that worsen referring to the cases that do not correct themselves? Is it better to treat it early? We don't want to wait that long and later find out that she should have been treated sooner.Our little girl, Daisy-Rose is 9 months old. She was 8 months old at the time of the x-rays. Here are the results; " Scoliosis convex to the left measuring 16 degrees is present in the thoracolumbar spine. I do not see a definite focal bony abnormality to account for this scoliosis.The lungs are clear. The heart is not enlarged. No pleual or mediastinal abnormality is see.No abnormality is seen related to the abdominal gas pattern. " If casting is recommended, how do we go about getting treatment? Do we send the results to one of the Shriner's Hospitals? Our pediatrician is not familiar with casting.Thanks very much for any help,Elaine and .

Guest guest

Were you able to get an RVAD measurement to determine if its progressive, or not? Are the cases that worsen referring to the cases that do not correct themselves? YesIs it better to treat it early? Yes If the curve is determined to be progressive, it will keep pace at the rate in which the child is growing and treatment should not be delayed. There is an article on Mehtas RVAD in the Files section of CAST. Check it out when you get a chance. HRH From: infantile scoliosis treatment [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 4:16 PMinfantile scoliosis treatment Subject: X-Ray Results: Can you help us? 16 degree curve, Watch and Wait? Hello,Well we finally got the report back from Children's Hospital. Our pediatrician seemed to think that all we could do is watch and wait. He is sending the report to an orthopedic surgeon we think who will let us know for sure. There is a year and a half wait list to get in to see an orthopedic surgeon here in British Columbia, Canada. We have read that many cases of infantile scoliosis correct themselves and we have also read that they can progress quite badly. Are the cases that worsen referring to the cases that do not correct themselves? Is it better to treat it early? We don't want to wait that long and later find out that she should have been treated sooner.Our little girl, Daisy-Rose is 9 months old. She was 8 months old at the time of the x-rays. Here are the results; " Scoliosis convex to the left measuring 16 degrees is present in the thoracolumbar spine. I do not see a definite focal bony abnormality to account for this scoliosis.The lungs are clear. The heart is not enlarged. No pleual or mediastinal abnormality is see.No abnormality is seen related to the abdominal gas pattern. " If casting is recommended, how do we go about getting treatment? Do we send the results to one of the Shriner's Hospitals? Our pediatrician is not familiar with casting.Thanks very much for any help,Elaine and .

Guest guest

Excellent advice.HRH From: infantile scoliosis treatment [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of LeggettSent: Friday, May 11, 2012 7:43 PMinfantile scoliosis treatment Subject: Re: X-Ray Results: Can you help us? 16 degree curve, Watch and Wait? SO anything over 10* standing is considered scoliosis. I would say that at 16* laying down that you would likely be in the 20's standing. What is the rotation like? What I would do is start the process of getting into a shriners who does mehta casting and follow up with x-rays in 2 months and see where you are. If they can get you in sooner fantastic! We have a baby (our second with IS) who is 8 laying down so 12-15 standing (our best guess). We were told by our casting doctor to follow up in 3 months - though he was 18 months and not growing as fast. Anyways, start the process so if you need treatment you are already well on your way. Jenn Mommy to Cole & Max

Guest guest

Excellent advice.HRH From: infantile scoliosis treatment [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of LeggettSent: Friday, May 11, 2012 7:43 PMinfantile scoliosis treatment Subject: Re: X-Ray Results: Can you help us? 16 degree curve, Watch and Wait? SO anything over 10* standing is considered scoliosis. I would say that at 16* laying down that you would likely be in the 20's standing. What is the rotation like? What I would do is start the process of getting into a shriners who does mehta casting and follow up with x-rays in 2 months and see where you are. If they can get you in sooner fantastic! We have a baby (our second with IS) who is 8 laying down so 12-15 standing (our best guess). We were told by our casting doctor to follow up in 3 months - though he was 18 months and not growing as fast. Anyways, start the process so if you need treatment you are already well on your way. Jenn Mommy to Cole & Max

Guest guest

Please keep us posted on lil Lucy!HRH From: infantile scoliosis treatment [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of lucysdad2011Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 9:40 PMinfantile scoliosis treatment Subject: Re: X-Ray Results: Can you help us? 16 degree curve, Watch and Wait? Hi,I'll share my experience since our daughters' measurements and ages are similar. We are currently in a wait and watch with our little one, Lucy. Lucy had an x-ray early January when she was 5.5 mos b/c she has a rib hump. The x-ray results came back 19 degree curve and 6 degree RVAD. Childrens hospital Boston advised us to come back in 4.5 mos (or sooner if any changes). We also went to Rochester NY and they advised the same thing.We have our follow up appt in two weeks at Boston Childrens. Lucy still has a curve and rib hump but no worse I think. I will post a picture of her back taken last w/e and will follow up after her appt with her updated measurements and plan.You definitely need a plan should Daisy-Rose's condition worsen, and you have made the right first step by joining this amazing community.All the best.Chris>> Hello,> Well we finally got the report back from Children's Hospital. Our pediatrician seemed to think that all we could do is watch and wait. He is sending the report to an orthopedic surgeon we think who will let us know for sure. There is a year and a half wait list to get in to see an orthopedic surgeon here in British Columbia, Canada. We have read that many cases of infantile scoliosis correct themselves and we have also read that they can progress quite badly. Are the cases that worsen referring to the cases that do not correct themselves? Is it better to treat it early? We don't want to wait that long and later find out that she should have been treated sooner.> Our little girl, Daisy-Rose is 9 months old. She was 8 months old at the time of the x-rays. Here are the results;> > " Scoliosis convex to the left measuring 16 degrees is present in the thoracolumbar spine. I do not see a definite focal bony abnormality to account for this scoliosis.> > The lungs are clear. The heart is not enlarged. No pleual or mediastinal abnormality is see.> No abnormality is seen related to the abdominal gas pattern. " > > If casting is recommended, how do we go about getting treatment? Do we send the results to one of the Shriner's Hospitals? Our pediatrician is not familiar with casting.> Thanks very much for any help,> Elaine and .>

Guest guest

Please keep us posted on lil Lucy!HRH From: infantile scoliosis treatment [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of lucysdad2011Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 9:40 PMinfantile scoliosis treatment Subject: Re: X-Ray Results: Can you help us? 16 degree curve, Watch and Wait? Hi,I'll share my experience since our daughters' measurements and ages are similar. We are currently in a wait and watch with our little one, Lucy. Lucy had an x-ray early January when she was 5.5 mos b/c she has a rib hump. The x-ray results came back 19 degree curve and 6 degree RVAD. Childrens hospital Boston advised us to come back in 4.5 mos (or sooner if any changes). We also went to Rochester NY and they advised the same thing.We have our follow up appt in two weeks at Boston Childrens. Lucy still has a curve and rib hump but no worse I think. I will post a picture of her back taken last w/e and will follow up after her appt with her updated measurements and plan.You definitely need a plan should Daisy-Rose's condition worsen, and you have made the right first step by joining this amazing community.All the best.Chris>> Hello,> Well we finally got the report back from Children's Hospital. Our pediatrician seemed to think that all we could do is watch and wait. He is sending the report to an orthopedic surgeon we think who will let us know for sure. There is a year and a half wait list to get in to see an orthopedic surgeon here in British Columbia, Canada. We have read that many cases of infantile scoliosis correct themselves and we have also read that they can progress quite badly. Are the cases that worsen referring to the cases that do not correct themselves? Is it better to treat it early? We don't want to wait that long and later find out that she should have been treated sooner.> Our little girl, Daisy-Rose is 9 months old. She was 8 months old at the time of the x-rays. Here are the results;> > " Scoliosis convex to the left measuring 16 degrees is present in the thoracolumbar spine. I do not see a definite focal bony abnormality to account for this scoliosis.> > The lungs are clear. The heart is not enlarged. No pleual or mediastinal abnormality is see.> No abnormality is seen related to the abdominal gas pattern. " > > If casting is recommended, how do we go about getting treatment? Do we send the results to one of the Shriner's Hospitals? Our pediatrician is not familiar with casting.> Thanks very much for any help,> Elaine and .>

Guest guest

Wow, I want to thank all of you for posting in response to our e-mail. I haven't

had the opportunity to get online until now and of course I have to get the

little one into bed now but I will read over very carefully all that has been

written. With regards to the RVAD, there was no mention of this. Would this have

been a separate x-ray? When she was x-rayed they had her lying in a contraption

that kept her very still, she had her arms over her head which she did not like

at all poor little girl. By keeping her absolutely still would this make the

results more accurate and would her standing measurements be more similar to her

lying down results due to them keeping her very still?

Thank you again, you have been so helpful.

>

> Were you able to get an RVAD measurement to determine if its progressive, or

> not?

>

>

>

> Are the cases that worsen referring to the cases that do not correct

> themselves? Yes

>

> Is it better to treat it early? Yes

>

>

>

> If the curve is determined to be progressive, it will keep pace at the rate

> in which the child is growing and treatment should not be delayed.

>

>

>

> There is an article on Mehtas RVAD in the Files section of CAST. Check it

> out when you get a chance.

>

>

>

> HRH

>

>

>

> From: infantile scoliosis treatment

> [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of

> Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 4:16 PM

> curve, Watch and Wait?

>

>

>

>

>

> Hello,

> orthopedic surgeon here in British Columbia, Canada. We have read that many

> cases of infantile scoliosis correct themselves and we have also read that

> they can progress quite badly. Are the cases that worsen referring to the

> cases that do not correct themselves? Is it better to treat it early? We

> don't want to wait that long and later find out that she should have been

> treated sooner.

>

>

> abnormality is see.

>

> the results to one of the Shriner's Hospitals? Our pediatrician is not

> familiar with casting.

> Elaine and .

>

Guest guest

Wow, I want to thank all of you for posting in response to our e-mail. I haven't

had the opportunity to get online until now and of course I have to get the

little one into bed now but I will read over very carefully all that has been

written. With regards to the RVAD, there was no mention of this. Would this have

been a separate x-ray? When she was x-rayed they had her lying in a contraption

that kept her very still, she had her arms over her head which she did not like

at all poor little girl. By keeping her absolutely still would this make the

results more accurate and would her standing measurements be more similar to her

lying down results due to them keeping her very still?

>

> not?

>

>

>

> themselves? Yes

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> HRH

>

>

>

> curve, Watch and Wait?

>

>

>

>

>

> Hello,

> treated sooner.

>

>

> abnormality is see.

>

> familiar with casting.

> Elaine and .

>

Guest guest

RVAD is measured on the same x-ray.http://boneandspine.com/spine/rib-vertebral-angle-in-scoliosis/http://www.oandp.org/olc/lessons/html/200407-20/display.asp?frmTermId=RVAD7If the RVAD is small (good) the rib cage on the x-ray looks like a snake spine (curved but rather symetrical).Proper x-ray should be done in supine position with arms to the side (not above the head because it can make traction of the spine). I assume your daughter does not stand yet (9M). And that's your dr who should know how to make proper x-ray.I had very similar problem because the first x-ray was made in a hanging position (dr thought a while how to make standing

AP x-ray and he wrote hanging as a instruction for radiologist). It's of no use now. :-( The next was done 2 months later on my request and I took care to be done in a better way. And - as in your situation - noone measured RVAD.MP From: <davelainer@...> infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:09 AM Subject: Re: X-Ray

Results: Can you help us? 16 degree curve, Watch and Wait?

Wow, I want to thank all of you for posting in response to our e-mail. I haven't had the opportunity to get online until now and of course I have to get the little one into bed now but I will read over very carefully all that has been written. With regards to the RVAD, there was no mention of this. Would this have been a separate x-ray? When she was x-rayed they had her lying in a contraption that kept her very still, she had her arms over her head which she did not like at all poor little girl. By keeping her absolutely still would this make the results more accurate and would her standing measurements be more similar to her lying down results due to them keeping her very still?

>

> not?

>

>

>

> themselves? Yes

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> HRH

>

>

>

> curve, Watch and Wait?

>

>

>

>

>

> Hello,

> treated sooner.

>

> "Scoliosis convex to the left measuring 16 degrees is present in the

>

> abnormality is see.

> No abnormality is seen related to the abdominal gas pattern."

>

> familiar with casting.

> Elaine and .

>

Guest guest

RVAD is measured on the same x-ray.http://boneandspine.com/spine/rib-vertebral-angle-in-scoliosis/http://www.oandp.org/olc/lessons/html/200407-20/display.asp?frmTermId=RVAD7If the RVAD is small (good) the rib cage on the x-ray looks like a snake spine (curved but rather symetrical).Proper x-ray should be done in supine position with arms to the side (not above the head because it can make traction of the spine). I assume your daughter does not stand yet (9M). And that's your dr who should know how to make proper x-ray.I had very similar problem because the first x-ray was made in a hanging position (dr thought a while how to make standing

AP x-ray and he wrote hanging as a instruction for radiologist). It's of no use now. :-( The next was done 2 months later on my request and I took care to be done in a better way. And - as in your situation - noone measured RVAD.MP From: <davelainer@...> infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:09 AM Subject: Re: X-Ray

Results: Can you help us? 16 degree curve, Watch and Wait?

Wow, I want to thank all of you for posting in response to our e-mail. I haven't had the opportunity to get online until now and of course I have to get the little one into bed now but I will read over very carefully all that has been written. With regards to the RVAD, there was no mention of this. Would this have been a separate x-ray? When she was x-rayed they had her lying in a contraption that kept her very still, she had her arms over her head which she did not like at all poor little girl. By keeping her absolutely still would this make the results more accurate and would her standing measurements be more similar to her lying down results due to them keeping her very still?

>

> not?

>

>

>

> themselves? Yes

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> HRH

>

>

>

> curve, Watch and Wait?

>

>

>

>

>

> Hello,

> treated sooner.

>

> "Scoliosis convex to the left measuring 16 degrees is present in the

>

> abnormality is see.

> No abnormality is seen related to the abdominal gas pattern."

>

> familiar with casting.

> Elaine and .

>

Guest guest

Thanks MP.

Do you suppose that there is any point in asking them to check the RVAD on the

x-ray that they did or would it just be inaccurate? My daughter can stand

unaided for very short periods of time, say 25 seconds. She wants to spend most

of her time standing when she has the opportunity.

If x-ray is supposed to be done in the supine position with her arms to her side

how do they keep her from wriggling around? I know that they said the reason for

the using the board with arms above head is to keep her still. When you say that

it causes traction of the spine, do you mean that it will cause her spine to

appear straighter than it is due to it being pulled?

Thanks again.

> >

> > Were you able to get an RVAD measurement to determine if its progressive, or

> > not?

> >

> >

> >

> > Are the cases that worsen referring to the cases that do not correct

> > themselves? Yes

> >

> > Is it better to treat it early? Yes

> >

> >

> >

> > If the curve is determined to be progressive, it will keep pace at the rate

> > in which the child is growing and treatment should not be delayed.

> >

> >

> >

> > There is an article on Mehtas RVAD in the Files section of CAST. Check it

> > out when you get a chance.

> >

> >

> >

> > HRH

> >

> >

> >

> > From: infantile scoliosis treatment

> > [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of

> > Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 4:16 PM

> > infantile scoliosis treatment

> > Subject: X-Ray Results: Can you help us? 16 degree

> > curve, Watch and Wait?

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Hello,

> > Well we finally got the report back from Children's Hospital. Our

> > pediatrician seemed to think that all we could do is watch and wait. He is

> > sending the report to an orthopedic surgeon we think who will let us know

> > for sure. There is a year and a half wait list to get in to see an

> > orthopedic surgeon here in British Columbia, Canada. We have read that many

> > cases of infantile scoliosis correct themselves and we have also read that

> > they can progress quite badly. Are the cases that worsen referring to the

> > cases that do not correct themselves? Is it better to treat it early? We

> > don't want to wait that long and later find out that she should have been

> > treated sooner.

> > Our little girl, Daisy-Rose is 9 months old. She was 8 months old at the

> > time of the x-rays. Here are the results;

> >

> > " Scoliosis convex to the left measuring 16 degrees is present in the

> > thoracolumbar spine. I do not see a definite focal bony abnormality to

> > account for this scoliosis.

> >

> > The lungs are clear. The heart is not enlarged. No pleual or mediastinal

> > abnormality is see.

> > No abnormality is seen related to the abdominal gas pattern. "

> >

> > If casting is recommended, how do we go about getting treatment? Do we send

> > the results to one of the Shriner's Hospitals? Our pediatrician is not

> > familiar with casting.

> > Thanks very much for any help,

> > Elaine and .

> >

>

Guest guest

Thanks MP.

Do you suppose that there is any point in asking them to check the RVAD on the

x-ray that they did or would it just be inaccurate? My daughter can stand

unaided for very short periods of time, say 25 seconds. She wants to spend most

of her time standing when she has the opportunity.

If x-ray is supposed to be done in the supine position with her arms to her side

how do they keep her from wriggling around? I know that they said the reason for

the using the board with arms above head is to keep her still. When you say that

it causes traction of the spine, do you mean that it will cause her spine to

appear straighter than it is due to it being pulled?

Thanks again.

> >

> > Were you able to get an RVAD measurement to determine if its progressive, or

> > not?

> >

> >

> >

> > themselves? Yes

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > HRH

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Hello,

> > treated sooner.

> >

> > " Scoliosis convex to the left measuring 16 degrees is present in the

> >

> > abnormality is see.

> > No abnormality is seen related to the abdominal gas pattern. "

> >

> > Elaine and .

> >

>

Guest guest

From Min Mehta, 1984 In Management of Spinal Deformities. Butterworth, London, Ed. Dickson R.A. and Bradford D.S. ( P 101 - 120): Infantile idiopathic scoliosis:"Standard positon for taking an anterposterior radiograph in an infant is supine, with the arms held down in slight abduction. Care should be taken to avoid elevating the arms above the head since that position may apply traction on the spine and thereby minimize the deformity."Measuring RVAD is one thing. Interpreting radiograph is another. It should be definitively done by someone trained.MP

From: <davelainer@...> infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:46 PM Subject: Re: X-Ray Results: Can you help us? 16 degree curve, Watch and Wait?

Thanks MP.

Do you suppose that there is any point in asking them to check the RVAD on the x-ray that they did or would it just be inaccurate? My daughter can stand unaided for very short periods of time, say 25 seconds. She wants to spend most of her time standing when she has the opportunity.

If x-ray is supposed to be done in the supine position with her arms to her side how do they keep her from wriggling around? I know that they said the reason for the using the board with arms above head is to keep her still. When you say that it causes traction of the spine, do you mean that it will cause her spine to appear straighter than it is due to it being pulled?

Thanks again.

> >

> > not?

> >

> >

> >

> > themselves? Yes

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > HRH

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Hello,

> > treated sooner.

> >

> > "Scoliosis convex to the left measuring 16 degrees is present in the

> >

> > abnormality is see.

> > No abnormality is seen related to the abdominal gas pattern."

> >

> > Elaine and .

> >

>

Guest guest

From Min Mehta, 1984 In Management of Spinal Deformities. Butterworth, London, Ed. Dickson R.A. and Bradford D.S. ( P 101 - 120): Infantile idiopathic scoliosis:"Standard positon for taking an anterposterior radiograph in an infant is supine, with the arms held down in slight abduction. Care should be taken to avoid elevating the arms above the head since that position may apply traction on the spine and thereby minimize the deformity."Measuring RVAD is one thing. Interpreting radiograph is another. It should be definitively done by someone trained.MP

From: <davelainer@...> infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Tuesday, May 15, 2012 8:46 PM Subject: Re: X-Ray Results: Can you help us? 16 degree curve, Watch and Wait?

Thanks MP.

Do you suppose that there is any point in asking them to check the RVAD on the x-ray that they did or would it just be inaccurate? My daughter can stand unaided for very short periods of time, say 25 seconds. She wants to spend most of her time standing when she has the opportunity.

If x-ray is supposed to be done in the supine position with her arms to her side how do they keep her from wriggling around? I know that they said the reason for the using the board with arms above head is to keep her still. When you say that it causes traction of the spine, do you mean that it will cause her spine to appear straighter than it is due to it being pulled?

Thanks again.

> >

> > not?

> >

> >

> >

> > themselves? Yes

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > HRH

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > Hello,

> > treated sooner.

> >

> > "Scoliosis convex to the left measuring 16 degrees is present in the

> >

> > abnormality is see.

> > No abnormality is seen related to the abdominal gas pattern."

> >

> > Elaine and .

> >

>

Guest guest

Our Lucy was x-rayed supine (on back) with arms straight out (like a cross) at

Boston Childrens. The hospital had heavy bean/sand bags (for lack of a better

term) that they laid over her arms so she couldnt move them and I held her

little hips/thighs steady. At the time Lucy was only 5.5 mos so wasnt that

strong to be able to move too much. Not sure how we will x-ray next week if we

need to. X-raying a baby can inaccurate, and I discussed this with the

scoliosis docs - but this is where I trust them and their expertise to put the

various pieces together (assuming they are familiar with IS). It's not clear to

me when other positions are used for x-rays (ie standing) so I will be asking

this at our appt next week. By accounts on this message board, standing x-rays

will show higher curve and RVAD.

All the best.

Chris

> > >

> > > Were you able to get an RVAD measurement to determine if its progressive,

or

> > > not?

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Are the cases that worsen referring to the cases that do not correct

> > > themselves? Yes

> > >

> > > Is it better to treat it early? Yes

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > If the curve is determined to be progressive, it will keep pace at the

rate

> > > in which the child is growing and treatment should not be delayed.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > There is an article on Mehtas RVAD in the Files section of CAST. Check it

> > > out when you get a chance.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > HRH

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > From: infantile scoliosis treatment

> > > [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of

> > > Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 4:16 PM

> > > infantile scoliosis treatment

> > > Subject: X-Ray Results: Can you help us? 16 degree

> > > curve, Watch and Wait?

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Hello,

> > > Well we finally got the report back from Children's Hospital. Our

> > > pediatrician seemed to think that all we could do is watch and wait. He is

> > > sending the report to an orthopedic surgeon we think who will let us know

> > > for sure. There is a year and a half wait list to get in to see an

> > > orthopedic surgeon here in British Columbia, Canada. We have read that

many

> > > cases of infantile scoliosis correct themselves and we have also read that

> > > they can progress quite badly. Are the cases that worsen referring to the

> > > cases that do not correct themselves? Is it better to treat it early? We

> > > don't want to wait that long and later find out that she should have been

> > > treated sooner.

> > > Our little girl, Daisy-Rose is 9 months old. She was 8 months old at the

> > > time of the x-rays. Here are the results;

> > >

> > > " Scoliosis convex to the left measuring 16 degrees is present in the

> > > thoracolumbar spine. I do not see a definite focal bony abnormality to

> > > account for this scoliosis.

> > >

> > > The lungs are clear. The heart is not enlarged. No pleual or mediastinal

> > > abnormality is see.

> > > No abnormality is seen related to the abdominal gas pattern. "

> > >

> > > If casting is recommended, how do we go about getting treatment? Do we

send

> > > the results to one of the Shriner's Hospitals? Our pediatrician is not

> > > familiar with casting.

> > > Thanks very much for any help,

> > > Elaine and .

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

X-ray is the only way to measure scoliosis. Of course those supine x-ray are not ideal. But 2 such x-rays 2 months one after another can deliver valuable information.And of course the measurement are inaccurate but from such x-ray you know if you are in 20's, 30', 50's or mabye 70's. You see if RVAD is <20*, >20* and if RVAD is 0* then if it's negative at 12th ribs. You can see if it's long curve/short curve, thoratic/lumbar/thoracolumbar, C/S shape, if it's phase I or phase II, and many other information + difference between two (the progress).The ideal pictures for scoliosis are standing AP (front), lateral + pictures in bending to see how the spine reacts for bending the body. But that's impossible to make such x-rays

for infants.MP From: lucysdad711 <lucysdad711@...> infantile scoliosis treatment Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2012 6:27 AM Subject: Re: X-Ray Results: Can you help us? 16 degree curve, Watch and Wait?

Our Lucy was x-rayed supine (on back) with arms straight out (like a cross) at Boston Childrens. The hospital had heavy bean/sand bags (for lack of a better term) that they laid over her arms so she couldnt move them and I held her little hips/thighs steady. At the time Lucy was only 5.5 mos so wasnt that strong to be able to move too much. Not sure how we will x-ray next week if we need to. X-raying a baby can inaccurate, and I discussed this with the scoliosis docs - but this is where I trust them and their expertise to put the various pieces together (assuming they are familiar with IS). It's not clear to me when other positions are used for x-rays (ie standing) so I will be asking this at our appt next week. By accounts on this message board, standing x-rays will show higher curve and RVAD.

All the best.

Chris

> > >

> > > Were you able to get an RVAD measurement to determine if its progressive, or

> > > not?

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Are the cases that worsen referring to the cases that do not correct

> > > themselves? Yes

> > >

> > > Is it better to treat it early? Yes

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > If the curve is determined to be progressive, it will keep pace at the rate

> > > in which the child is growing and treatment should not be delayed.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > There is an article on Mehtas RVAD in the Files section of CAST. Check it

> > > out when you get a chance.

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > HRH

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > From: infantile scoliosis treatment

> > > [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of

> > > Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 4:16 PM

> > > infantile scoliosis treatment

> > > Subject: X-Ray Results: Can you help us? 16 degree

> > > curve, Watch and Wait?

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > >

> > > Hello,

> > > Well we finally got the report back from Children's Hospital. Our

> > > pediatrician seemed to think that all we could do is watch and wait. He is

> > > sending the report to an orthopedic surgeon we think who will let us know

> > > for sure. There is a year and a half wait list to get in to see an

> > > orthopedic surgeon here in British Columbia, Canada. We have read that many

> > > cases of infantile scoliosis correct themselves and we have also read that

> > > they can progress quite badly. Are the cases that worsen referring to the

> > > cases that do not correct themselves? Is it better to treat it early? We

> > > don't want to wait that long and later find out that she should have been

> > > treated sooner.

> > > Our little girl, Daisy-Rose is 9 months old. She was 8 months old at the

> > > time of the x-rays. Here are the results;

> > >

> > > "Scoliosis convex to the left measuring 16 degrees is present in the

> > > thoracolumbar spine. I do not see a definite focal bony abnormality to

> > > account for this scoliosis.

> > >

> > > The lungs are clear. The heart is not enlarged. No pleual or mediastinal

> > > abnormality is see.

> > > No abnormality is seen related to the abdominal gas pattern."

> > >

> > > If casting is recommended, how do we go about getting treatment? Do we send

> > > the results to one of the Shriner's Hospitals? Our pediatrician is not

> > > familiar with casting.

> > > Thanks very much for any help,

> > > Elaine and .

> > >

> >

>

Guest guest

~And, whether standing or supine, place arms at side not above head for

the most accurate film.

HRH

> X-ray is the only way to measure scoliosis. Of course those supine x-ray

> are not ideal. But 2 such x-rays 2 months one after another can deliver

> valuable information.

>

> And of course the measurement are inaccurate but from such x-ray you know

> if you are in 20's, 30', 50's or mabye 70's. You see if RVAD is <20*, >20*

> and if RVAD is 0* then if it's negative at 12th ribs. You can see if it's

> long curve/short curve, thoratic/lumbar/thoracolumbar, C/S shape, if it's

> phase I or phase II, and many other information + difference between two

> (the progress).

>

> The ideal pictures for scoliosis are standing AP (front), lateral +

> pictures in bending to see how the spine reacts for bending the body. But

> that's impossible to make such x-rays for infants.

>

> MP

>

>

>

> ________________________________

> From: lucysdad711 <lucysdad711@...>

> Sent: Saturday, May 19, 2012 6:27 AM

> Subject: Re: X-Ray Results: Can you help us? 16

> degree curve, Watch and Wait?

>

>

>  

> Our Lucy was x-rayed supine (on back) with arms straight out (like a

> cross) at Boston Childrens. The hospital had heavy bean/sand bags (for

> lack of a better term) that they laid over her arms so she couldnt move

> them and I held her little hips/thighs steady. At the time Lucy was only

> 5.5 mos so wasnt that strong to be able to move too much. Not sure how we

> will x-ray next week if we need to. X-raying a baby can inaccurate, and I

> discussed this with the scoliosis docs - but this is where I trust them

> and their expertise to put the various pieces together (assuming they are

> familiar with IS). It's not clear to me when other positions are used for

> x-rays (ie standing) so I will be asking this at our appt next week. By

> accounts on this message board, standing x-rays will show higher curve and

> RVAD.

> All the best.

> Chris

>

>

>> > >

>> > > Were you able to get an RVAD measurement to determine if its

>> progressive, or

>> > > not?

>> > >

>> > >

>> > >

>> > > Are the cases that worsen referring to the cases that do not correct

>> > > themselves? Yes

>> > >

>> > > Is it better to treat it early? Yes

>> > >

>> > >

>> > >

>> > > If the curve is determined to be progressive, it will keep pace at

>> the rate

>> > > in which the child is growing and treatment should not be delayed.

>> > >

>> > >

>> > >

>> > > There is an article on Mehtas RVAD in the Files section of CAST.

>> Check it

>> > > out when you get a chance.

>> > >

>> > >

>> > >

>> > > HRH

>> > >

>> > >

>> > >

>> > > From: infantile scoliosis treatment

>> > > [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of

>> > > Sent: Friday, May 11, 2012 4:16 PM

>> > > infantile scoliosis treatment

>> > > Subject: X-Ray Results: Can you help us? 16

>> degree

>> > > curve, Watch and Wait?

>> > >

>> > >

>> > >

>> > >

>> > >

>> > > Hello,

>> > > Well we finally got the report back from Children's Hospital. Our

>> > > pediatrician seemed to think that all we could do is watch and wait.

>> He is

>> > > sending the report to an orthopedic surgeon we think who will let us

>> know

>> > > for sure. There is a year and a half wait list to get in to see an

>> > > orthopedic surgeon here in British Columbia, Canada. We have read

>> that many

>> > > cases of infantile scoliosis correct themselves and we have also

>> read that

>> > > they can progress quite badly. Are the cases that worsen referring

>> to the

>> > > cases that do not correct themselves? Is it better to treat it

>> early? We