RemedySpot.com

RE: What to expect with the switch to a brace from a cast?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

We met in SLC back in February, at my son's first casting appointment.

Unfortunately, I can't give you the comparisons you are asking about between the

cast and the brace, since Liam's casting appointment didn't go well. I can tell

you that Liam wasn't used to any restrictions on his midsection and he has

handled the brace very well as far as eating. It also comes down quite low and

we have to remove it at every diaper change. I would assume, based on my

limited experience with the cast before it was abruptly cut off, that the

clothing will fit over the brace just fine if it fit over the cast - may be even

a bit roomier. Liam's brace goes under his arms as opposed to the `tank-top'

look that most casts have.

Just like the cast, I believe that the braces are unique to each child and no

two are alike. I can only imagine that you will find it to be easier than a

cast to care for and I am sure it will be a welcomed change for Levi with the

summer months approaching.

Hope all goes well in July. Keep us posted!

P.S. We are also going to SLC at the end of July. We have a second brace

appointment. Sounds like a good month to brace ;)

Guest guest

Hey Amber! My Daughter Sierra went to a brace in March 2012. We have been casting since April 2010 (9 cast) and Sierra was then 12 mo. So she got her cast off 1 month short of 2 years and a month before she turned 3 years. Sierra has done wonderful with the brace. Hers is a Providence brace and only wears it at night! We did have some bruising b/c it is aggressive bracing. Hers tightens at the front. I guess I’m not much help b/c she only wears hers at night...she was already potty trained so we didn’t have to worry about diapers. A pull-up does fine at night! Good luck atleast you can remove a brace!

Kristi Mommy to Sierra

34 degrees down to 6 degrees

9 cast.... now in brace

Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:14 PM

infantile scoliosis treatment

Subject: What to expect with the switch to a brace from a cast?

As I just finished planning our "Great Western Family Excursion" :) (we are driving out to SLC this time from NE instead of flying & making it our family vacation this July) I realized I have yet to ask all you other wonderful CAST parents I have come to rely on what we should expect as we make the transition from cast to brace. Will it be similar? He will be getting a Boston brace I believe & he will be exactly one month shy of 2 1/2. Since it opens in the back will his stomach be uncomfortable after meals? Will it be similar to the cast as far as riding in the car seat? Will clothing fit similar to how it did in cast? Diapers?... Any tips or suggestions you all can give would be much appreciated!Amber mommy to Leviin 4th cast SLC 31* down to 10* in castbracing in July

Guest guest

The brace will also have a widely trimmed window in front, so I think Levi will adjust fine. And, SLC will be sure the brace is doing what its supposed to before you head home. The brace is thinner than the cast, so cast clothes may be too big…(?) HRH From: infantile scoliosis treatment [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of AmberSent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:14 PMinfantile scoliosis treatment Subject: What to expect with the switch to a brace from a cast? As I just finished planning our " Great Western Family Excursion " :) (we are driving out to SLC this time from NE instead of flying & making it our family vacation this July) I realized I have yet to ask all you other wonderful CAST parents I have come to rely on what we should expect as we make the transition from cast to brace. Will it be similar? He will be getting a Boston brace I believe & he will be exactly one month shy of 2 1/2. Since it opens in the back will his stomach be uncomfortable after meals? Will it be similar to the cast as far as riding in the car seat? Will clothing fit similar to how it did in cast? Diapers?... Any tips or suggestions you all can give would be much appreciated!Amber mommy to Leviin 4th cast SLC 31* down to 10* in castbracing in July

Guest guest

My daughter's brace doesn't have the mushroom cut-out in the front. The Dr in SLC said they don't cut out the tummy area because the brace doesn't have shoulder straps and not having the cut-out gives the rib area support. He said he will cut-out the tummy if a child is having problems, but otherwise they do not make cut outs on the brace. My daughter hasn't had any issues, but she did go down a size in clothes from the cast. Most people don't even realize she is wearing it. She is potty trained, so diapering wasn't an issue.From: Hyatt <heather@...>Subject: RE: What to expect with the switch to a

brace from a cast?infantile scoliosis treatment Date: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 3:10 PM

The brace will also have a widely trimmed window in front, so I think Levi will adjust fine. And, SLC will be sure the brace is doing what its supposed to before you head home. The brace is thinner than the cast, so cast clothes may be too big…(?) HRH From: infantile scoliosis treatment [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of AmberSent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:14 PMTo:

infantile scoliosis treatment Subject: What to expect with the switch to a brace from a cast? As I just finished planning our "Great Western Family Excursion" :) (we are driving out to SLC this time from NE instead of flying & making it our family vacation this July) I realized I have yet to ask all you other wonderful CAST parents I have come to rely on what we should expect as we make the transition from cast to brace. Will it be similar? He will be getting a Boston brace I believe & he will be exactly one month shy of 2 1/2. Since it opens in the back will his stomach be uncomfortable after meals? Will it be similar to the cast as far as riding in the car seat? Will clothing fit similar to how it did

in cast? Diapers?... Any tips or suggestions you all can give would be much appreciated!Amber mommy to Leviin 4th cast SLC 31* down to 10* in castbracing in July

Guest guest

Thanks for the info. Ive seen many braces from SLC come with mushroom

shaped window, so I just made an assumption...as my daughters had the

window too...sorry bout that. Thanks for the clarification.

HRH

> My daughter's brace doesn't have the mushroom cut-out in the front. The Dr

> in SLC said they don't cut out the tummy area because the brace doesn't

> have shoulder straps and not having the cut-out gives the rib area

> support. He said he will cut-out the tummy if a child is having problems,

> but otherwise they do not make cut outs on the brace. My daughter hasn't

> had any issues, but she did go down a size in clothes from the cast. Most

> people don't even realize she is wearing it. She is potty trained, so

> diapering wasn't an issue.

>

>

>

> From: Hyatt <heather@...>

> Subject: RE: What to expect with the switch to a

> brace from a cast?

> infantile scoliosis treatment

> Date: Wednesday, May 23, 2012, 3:10 PM

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>  

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> The brace will also have a widely trimmed window in front, so I

> think Levi will adjust fine.  And, SLC will be sure the brace is

> doing what its supposed to before you head home.  The brace is

> thinner than the cast, so cast clothes may be too big…(?)  HRH

>  From: infantile scoliosis treatment

> [mailto:infantile scoliosis treatment ] On Behalf Of Amber

> Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2012 2:14 PM

> infantile scoliosis treatment

> Subject: What to expect with the switch to a brace

> from a cast?    As I just finished planning our " Great Western Family

> Excursion " :) (we are driving out to SLC this time from NE instead of

> flying & making it our family vacation this July) I realized I have yet to

> ask all you other wonderful CAST parents I have come to rely on what we

> should expect as we make the transition from cast to brace. Will it be

> similar? He will be getting a Boston brace I believe & he will be exactly

> one month shy of 2 1/2. Since it opens in the back will his stomach be

> uncomfortable after meals? Will it be similar to the cast as far as riding

> in the car seat? Will clothing fit similar to how it did in cast?

> Diapers?... Any tips or suggestions you all can give would be much

> appreciated!

>

> Amber

> mommy to Levi

> in 4th cast SLC 31* down to 10* in cast

> bracing in July

>

>

>

>

>