RemedySpot.com

Risperdal vs. Geodon

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Geodon is an antipsychotic drug that has less of a side effect of weight gain and increased appetite.. I know this because I switched from Risperdal to Geodon because of being overweight. I haven't lost the weight yet, but that's what the information sheet says and that's why my doctor switched me.Dave See my blog, Reward and Consent, on the ethics of behavior modification: http://rewardandconsent.blogspot.com and follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/RewardConsent From: shouttothenorth2 <shouttothenorth2@...> autism Sent: Saturday, February 4, 2012 7:00 PM Subject: Re: risperadal

Hi Sula,

I didn't write the post your responding to although I don't think you have anything to worry about at this point. Any drug you'd usually go off of gradually. I've only had bad experiences when I don't give my kid the risperdal. I was just concerned with his weight gain...All med's have side effects...we'll have to ask Sheila just exactly what she meant happened when her son went off risperdal. Maybe he went off to quickly?

LISA

>

> Now that comment just gave me goose pumps :S

> What happens when you stop it?

> Doesn't tapering the dose help?

>

> Sent from my BlackBerry by AT & T

>

> risperadal

>

>

>

>

>

>

> We did well on risperdal, 1 mg in am, 2 at night, but at 13 his prolactin spiked. Now he's on Abilify and Zoloft- doing well... That is I think what I see now is plain old teenage boy stuff. Watch out coming off risperdal though. I still have nightmares remembering what that was like. Next time I want more medical oversight.

>

Thanks, Dave! I'll check into it as well!

------------------------------

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 7:05 PM MST Dave wrote:

>Geodon is an antipsychotic drug that has less of a side effect of weight gain

and increased appetite.. I know this because I switched from Risperdal to Geodon

because of being overweight. I haven't lost the weight yet, but that's what the

information sheet says and that's why my doctor switched me.

>

>

>Dave

>

>

>________________________________

>See my blog, Reward and Consent, on the ethics of behavior modification:

http://rewardandconsent.blogspot.com and follow me on Twitter:

http://twitter.com/#!/RewardConsent

>

>

>

>

> From: shouttothenorth2 <shouttothenorth2@...>

>autism

>Sent: Saturday, February 4, 2012 7:00 PM

>Subject: Re: risperadal

>

>

>

>Hi Sula,

>

>I didn't write the post your responding to although I don't think you have

anything to worry about at this point. Any drug you'd usually go off of

gradually. I've only had bad experiences when I don't give my kid the risperdal.

I was just concerned with his weight gain...All med's have side effects...we'll

have to ask Sheila just exactly what she meant happened when her son went off

risperdal. Maybe he went off to quickly?

>

>LISA

>

>

>>

>> Now that comment just gave me goose pumps :S

>> What happens when you stop it?

>> Doesn't tapering the dose help?

>>

>> Sent from my BlackBerry by AT & T

>>

>> risperadal

>>

>>  

>>

>>

>>

>>

>> We did well on risperdal, 1 mg in am, 2 at night, but at 13 his prolactin

spiked. Now he's on Abilify and Zoloft- doing well... That is I think what I see

now is plain old teenage boy stuff. Watch out coming off risperdal though. I

still have nightmares remembering what that was like. Next time I want more

medical oversight.

>>

>

>

>

Oh am so sorry, I just hit the reply all assuming I was answering the same

e-mail opened, I guess I just did it again a minute ago! :S

Thanks for 4warding thou :)

Sent from my BlackBerry by AT & T

risperadal

>

>  

>

>

>

>

> We did well on risperdal, 1 mg in am, 2 at night, but at 13 his prolactin

spiked. Now he's on Abilify and Zoloft- doing well... That is I think what I see

medical oversight.

>

What about the other side effects associated with antipsychotics.>Geodon is an antipsychotic drug that has less of a side effect of weight gain and increased appetite.. I know this because I switched from Risperdal to Geodon because of being overweight. I haven't lost the weight yet, but that's what the information sheet says and that's why my doctor switched me.>>>Dave>> >>________________________________>See my blog, Reward and Consent, on the ethics of behavior modification: http://rewardandconsent.blogspot.com and follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/#!/RewardConsent>________________________________>>>>>________________________________> From: shouttothenorth2 <shouttothenorth2@...>>autism >Sent: Saturday, February 4, 2012 7:00 PM>Subject: Re: risperadal> >> >>Hi Sula,>>I didn't write the post your responding to although I don't think you have anything to worry about at this point. Any drug you'd usually go off of gradually. I've only had

bad experiences when I don't give my kid the risperdal. I was just concerned with his weight gain...All med's have side effects...we'll have to ask Sheila just exactly what she meant happened when her son went off risperdal. Maybe he went off to quickly? >>LISA>>>>>> Now that comment just gave me goose pumps :S>> What happens when you stop it?>> Doesn't tapering the dose help?>> >> Sent from my BlackBerry by AT & T>> >> risperadal>> >> >> >> >> >> >> We did well on risperdal, 1 mg in am, 2 at night, but at 13 his prolactin spiked. Now he's on Abilify and Zoloft- doing well... That is I think what I see now is plain old teenage boy stuff. Watch out coming off risperdal though. I still have nightmares remembering what that was like. Next time I want more medical oversight.>>>>>

My son was on geodon and a very low dose from Oct 2010 through Oct 2011. I

found that although it took the edge off major aggression, it did not stop

aggressive behavior and left him sedated and tired most of the time. He slept

in school every day for 1 to a high of 5 hours. It was ridiculous. He has

since been weaned off geodon and is now on no medication and doing as well or

better. He will be 18 next week.

> >

> > Now that comment just gave me goose pumps :S

> > What happens when you stop it?

> > Doesn't tapering the dose help?

> >

> > Sent from my BlackBerry by AT & T

> >

> > risperadal

> >

> >  

> >

> >

> >

> >

> > We did well on risperdal, 1 mg in am, 2 at night, but at 13 his prolactin

medical oversight.

> >

>

my son is 21 years old. he has been on so many meds for severe daily aggression that I lost count at 18 or so. I finally had ENOUGH. he has been drug free for 3 years. He is SOOOOOO much better with nothing in his system. Side effects from these meds are as brutal as his behaviors or worse. Unless the medical community comes up with a better med then the psych meds they currently prescribe - no thank you!

Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2012 1:12 PM

autism

Subject: Re: Risperdal vs. Geodon

My son was on geodon and a very low dose from Oct 2010 through Oct 2011. I found that although it took the edge off major aggression, it did not stop aggressive behavior and left him sedated and tired most of the time. He slept in school every day for 1 to a high of 5 hours. It was ridiculous. He has since been weaned off geodon and is now on no medication and doing as well or better. He will be 18 next week.> >> > Now that comment just gave me goose pumps :S> > What happens when you stop it?> > Doesn't tapering the dose help?> > > > Sent from my BlackBerry by AT & T> > > > risperadal> > > > Â > > > > > > > > > > We did well on risperdal, 1 mg in am, 2 at night, but at 13 his prolactin spiked. Now he's on Abilify and Zoloft- doing well... That is I think what I see now is plain old teenage boy stuff. Watch out coming off risperdal though. I still have nightmares remembering what that was like. Next time I want more medical oversight.> >>

Amen. The same experience. Karac is 19 and has been off all drugs for about 5 years. Sent from my iPadOn Feb 11, 2012, at 4:04 PM, "Christiane" <christianebayes@...> wrote:

my son is 21 years old. he has been on so many meds for severe daily aggression that I lost count at 18 or so. I finally had ENOUGH. he has been drug free for 3 years. He is SOOOOOO much better with nothing in his system. Side effects from these meds are as brutal as his behaviors or worse. Unless the medical community comes up with a better med then the psych meds they currently prescribe - no thank you!

autism

My son was on geodon and a very low dose from Oct 2010 through Oct 2011. I found that although it took the edge off major aggression, it did not stop aggressive behavior and left him sedated and tired most of the time. He slept in school every day for 1 to a high of 5 hours. It was ridiculous. He has since been weaned off geodon and is now on no medication and doing as well or better. He will be 18 next week.> >> > Now that comment just gave me goose pumps :S> > What happens when you stop it?> > Doesn't tapering the dose help?> > > > Sent from my BlackBerry by AT & T> > > > risperadal> > > > Â > > > > > > > > > > We did well on risperdal, 1 mg in am, 2 at night, but at 13 his prolactin spiked. Now he's on Abilify and Zoloft- doing well... That is I think what I see now is plain old teenage boy stuff. Watch out coming off risperdal though. I still have nightmares remembering what that was like. Next time I want more medical oversight.> >>

Does your son still have Daily agression? If not-How did you get that to stop? Thanks! Lois

risperadal> > > > Â > > > > > > > > > > We did well on risperdal, 1 mg in am, 2 at night, but at 13 his prolactin spiked. Now he's on Abilify and Zoloft- doing well... That is I think what I see now is plain old teenage boy stuff. Watch out coming off risperdal though. I still have nightmares remembering what that was like. Next time I want more medical oversight.> >>

How did you manage to get by the withdrawal and get him off drugs? Does he still have behaviors or do those stop on their own at some point. I know my other son wore out a couple of dart boards in his teens but calmed down in his 20's and my sister's son still has a problem with anger but plays the drums and exercises and it helps tremendously. Both are n.t. boys.

From: Christiane <christianebayes@...>Subject: Re: Re: Risperdal vs. Geodonautism Date: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 5:04 PM

autism

My son was on geodon and a very low dose from Oct 2010 through Oct 2011. I found that although it took the edge off major aggression, it did not stop aggressive behavior and left him sedated and tired most of the time. He slept in school every day for 1 to a high of 5 hours. It was ridiculous. He has since been weaned off geodon and is now on no medication and doing as well or better. He will be 18 next week.> >> > Now that comment just gave me goose pumps :S> > What happens when you stop it?>

> Doesn't tapering the dose help?> > > > Sent from my BlackBerry by AT & T> > > > risperadal> > > > Â > > > > > > > > > > We did well on risperdal, 1 mg in am, 2 at night, but at 13 his prolactin spiked. Now he's on Abilify and Zoloft- doing well... That is I think what I see now is plain old teenage boy stuff. Watch out coming off risperdal though. I still have nightmares remembering what that was like. Next time I want more

medical oversight.> >>

brady was never on more than one to two meds at a time. side effects were aweful. we just dosed down till we stopped. no the behaviors have not stopped. he just was worse and miserable on meds. and I hated the drugged person he was. I pray and hope brady will get better and better as he gets older. brady transitions from a residential school setting to an adult setting by may this year. the school was very supportive of my choice to not medicated brady.

Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2012 9:15 AM

autism

Subject: Re: Re: Risperdal vs. Geodon

How did you manage to get by the withdrawal and get him off drugs? Does he still have behaviors or do those stop on their own at some point. I know my other son wore out a couple of dart boards in his teens but calmed down in his 20's and my sister's son still has a problem with anger but plays the drums and exercises and it helps tremendously. Both are n.t. boys.

From: Christiane <christianebayes@...>Subject: Re: Re: Risperdal vs. Geodonautism Date: Saturday, February 11, 2012, 5:04 PM

autism

brady has had daily multiple aggressions since he was 6 months old. at age 15 he hit me hard and I was unconscious. I feared for the safety of his sister and mine as well. school would/could not deal with Brady anymore. the school was instrumental in finding a residential school for autistic children. he has lived there for the past 7 years. he does well when he comes home for 4 or 5 days. pretty much stress free environment. I don't put many demands on him. however he was much worse to deal with on meds. he still has aggressions at school and at his residence. he is 21 years old and has gotten better. my prayer that he will some day not be aggressive.

Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2012 8:36 PM

autism

Subject: Re: {Spam?} Re: Risperdal vs. Geodon

does Brady Hit you? Lois

risperadal> > > > Â > > > > > > > > > > We did well on risperdal, 1 mg in am, 2 at night, but at 13 his prolactin spiked. Now he's on Abilify and Zoloft- doing well... That is I think what I see now is plain old teenage boy stuff. Watch out coming off risperdal though. I still have nightmares remembering what that was like. Next time I want more medical oversight.> >>

That is good about your son. JJ is 24 and lives at home with his dad and I. he is very Close to us and has never spent a night away from us.

We tried taking him off of the zpraxa and he was a mess! I cannot have him hitting me. He does pretty good when taking the small dose of zpraxa and small dose of resperdal. He has his moments but wuld be a lot worst without the meds. I would like to find something that is more safer but until then this is what I have to do.

Lois

Very happy for you Lois. I keep thinking however of a time when I am not around anymore. I know of this couple that had a son with disabilities. they kept him at home with them till they went to the nursing home. he is a mess now and not integrating very well at all. not saying this will happen to you. but I feared that for Brady because he is so attached to me. wouldn’t' it be wonderful if modern medicine could find a way to fix the imbalance in our childrens body and mind? You are doing a good job lois. God bless you and your family!

Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 8:20 PM

autism

That is good about your son. JJ is 24 and lives at home with his dad and I. he is very Close to us and has never spent a night away from us.

We tried taking him off of the zpraxa and he was a mess! I cannot have him hitting me. He does pretty good when taking the small dose of zpraxa and small dose of resperdal. He has his moments but wuld be a lot worst without the meds. I would like to find something that is more safer but until then this is what I have to do.

Lois

Beleive me, I think about this ALL the time! I am meting someone in a couple of weeks who is going to start JJ on "baby steps" to one day maybe get him to spend the night somewhere. It will take a long time but I hope and pray that he will be able to do it.

I also have a son that is 39 and 2 grandson age 16 and 5. Lois

you are a very busy person. sounds like JJ is very fortunate to have you in his life. one thing I have learned by having Brady - it takes a village to raise child. very true in my case.

Sent: Monday, February 13, 2012 8:40 PM

autism

Beleive me, I think about this ALL the time! I am meting someone in a couple of weeks who is going to start JJ on "baby steps" to one day maybe get him to spend the night somewhere. It will take a long time but I hope and pray that he will be able to do it.

I also have a son that is 39 and 2 grandson age 16 and 5. Lois

This is my major concern as well. We believed for a long time that my older son would just take up where we left off, but things changed after he met a girl in college that has no concern for family, not even her own.

He has been homeschooled, had workers who came into the home, and had his brother, then me as his constant companion. He takes music and speech and goes into the community on a daily basis, but is very attached to me(I am 60).

Drissia

autism

Sounds like you are doing very well. Drissia it is very hard to let go. I didn't have much of a choice. But now I am glad it happened that way. What does your son do in the evening after he gets back home?

Sent: Tuesday, February 14, 2012 12:30 PM

autism

This is my major concern as well. We believed for a long time that my older son would just take up where we left off, but things changed after he met a girl in college that has no concern for family, not even her own.

He has been homeschooled, had workers who came into the home, and had his brother, then me as his constant companion. He takes music and speech and goes into the community on a daily basis, but is very attached to me(I am 60).

Drissia

autism

Watches videos, goes on computer, jumps on mini trampoline, uses theraputty if stressed, swings. We just have to watch him with the computer. He gets overwraught there and if there is going to be a problem it will be there. Mostly if he is standing and starts looking spacy, then I will spray rescue remedy on his tongue and he just voluntarily turns off the computer and moves on to something else. If I miss this signal, he has a meltdown.

autism

Drissia, what is rescue remedy? never heard of it. what does it do? brady perseveres in comuter, wii games, tablet, tv and such. he is not an outdoor person at all. when we try to move him from his preferred activity that is when we can expect agitation or even aggression. usually I give him 5 min warning. but that does not always work. good job Drissia.

Sent: Wednesday, February 15, 2012 10:43 AM

autism

Watches videos, goes on computer, jumps on mini trampoline, uses theraputty if stressed, swings. We just have to watch him with the computer. He gets overwraught there and if there is going to be a problem it will be there. Mostly if he is standing and starts looking spacy, then I will spray rescue remedy on his tongue and he just voluntarily turns off the computer and moves on to something else. If I miss this signal, he has a meltdown.

autism

Rescue remedy is a spray remedy made from flowers sold in the health food store or on line. Works pretty good. I understand you can use up to 10 times a day, but we usually ask if he needs spray on his tongue when he is showing signs of stress. My son is not an outdoor person either. He is afraid of anything that flies since he was bee stung a few years ago. Even when we go to the beach we rent a house with a sun room so he can see the ocean, but he doesn't care for the sun or wind or anything having to do with outside.

Drissia

autism

One thing that works here is to give the 5 min. warning then remind him that he can come back to this activity once we return from whatever we are doing next.

A few months ago, we started saying, "not yet?" to give him something to communicate, then we would say 5more minutes. Seems to work well. He is still taking some Abilify but we have come from 25 mg. a day to 5 a day. My goal is to find something natural or less abusive to the body than the neuroleptic. But we do what we have to until we find a better answer.

Do you use the first, next, then visual concept? Picture symbols or words shows first we do this, etc. A TEACCH concept.

Thanks for the "Good Job". I rarely hear that.

Drissia

autism