Our son will be 5 next month, he was diagnosed with ASD when he was 2

1/2 years old. generally, we are coping as well as a family could i

guess. I just find it sad that our friends do not really understand our

dilema. They are good people, and smart, but I feel they don't know how

to relate to us anymore. ::sigh:::

I just miss the old bunch. I feel like I have to " educate " them, but

is it really worth the effort? I've met other parents with special

needs kids, really nice people too.

anybody with the same experience and some pearls of wisdom?

thanks

Unfortunately I have found that this is what happens all too often to families with children with disabilities. It happened to me. Even my family couldn't deal with any part of the ongoing situation. So I have found myself very isolated. It is very hard. Personally I have only been able to keep a cordiel relationship with old friends and most of my family had been so ignorent that I barely speak with them anymore. Hopefully one day I will be able to have a better relationship with those family members but at this point they are just too negative to be around. I too tried to educate and then tried to act like everything is fine and normal but it took such a toll on me that i finally realised it couldn't be done. i figured why be with people who aren't positive and only makes a difficult situation even worse From my own point of view the only people who really understand are other parents of children with disabilities and unfortunately they are

usually just as busy and stressed as I am and don't have the time for grown-up activities. Events and such that are geared to children with disabilities is a good place to go since your child can be supervised by people who understand while parents get to talk to grown-ups without having to worry as much about their children. Again, unfortunately many communities especially smaller ones don't offer any activities for families and children. So, to the point...try hooking up with any groups you know of and then if they don't offer activities at least you may be able to meet other parents in similiar situations and maybe be able to plan stuff with people who understand.flipcruz1972 <flipcruz1972@...> wrote: Our son will be 5 next month, he was diagnosed with ASD when he was 2 1/2 years old. generally, we are coping as well as a family could i guess. I just find it sad that our friends do not really understand our dilema. They are good people, and smart, but I feel they don't know how to relate to us anymore. ::sigh::: I just miss the old bunch. I feel like I have to "educate" them, but is it really worth the effort? I've met other parents with special needs kids, really nice people too.anybody with the same experience and some pearls of wisdom?thanks

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.