RemedySpot.com

Re: I am new and have ???s about ssi

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi, Tessa, no answers about ssi but I wanted to welcome you to the group. You will find a lot of really great people here who can answer questions and who understand where you're coming from and what it's like to have an autistic child!

Good luck with the ssi.

Estevan, SK

Canada

-- I am new and have ???s about ssi

My name is Tessa and I have a 6 year son with high functioning autism. He was diagnosed this past summer and we have since tried to learn all we can. I do not know anyone who has a child with autism so I thought this would be a great resource. I have enjoyed reading the other posts so I thought I might as well introduce myself. DOes anyone have any advice on ssi. We applied 5 months ago for and we are still waiting. Is this common? It is frusterating because the medical would help so much but we still are waiting. Any advice on assets would be helpful to! DOes anyone know the dollar amount of allowable assets for a family of 4? Any details about ssi would be so helpful! Thankyou, Tessa

call the ssi office you should have heard long before this

-- I am new and have ???s about ssi

My name is Tessa and I have a 6 year son with high functioning autism. He was diagnosed this past summer and we have since tried to learn all we can. I do not know anyone who has a child with autism so I thought this would be a great resource. I have enjoyed reading the other posts so I thought I might as well introduce myself. DOes anyone have any advice on ssi. We applied 5 months ago for and we are still waiting. Is this common? It is frusterating because the medical would help so much but we still are waiting. Any advice on assets would be helpful to! DOes anyone know the dollar amount of allowable assets for a family of 4? Any details about ssi would be so helpful! Thankyou, Tessa

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.1/1219 - Release Date: 1/11/2008 10:19 AM

For a family of 4 I believe the income limit is about 2700. As for assets, they told me you really can't have any. My oldest got approved in 3 months. My other one got denied. We are still appealing it. Its been 4 months sense we applied. And a month sense his denial.

Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

I tried to apply for SSI for my two kids one lowfunctioning autism and Diabetes type 1 and the other high functioning ASD. I live in FL and they told me we could only make 2000.00 a month for a family of four. So I got turned down because my husband makes too much money. Unless you love in poverty they won't help you. I can;t work because day care won't take my daughter because of the insulin shots she needs eveyday. No daycares have a full time nurse. Caudle <cindyc@...> wrote: call the ssi office you should have heard long before this -- I am new and have ???s about ssi My name is Tessa and I have a 6 year son with high functioning autism. He was diagnosed this past summer and we have since tried to learn all we can. I do not know anyone who has a child with autism so I thought this would be a great resource. I have enjoyed reading the other posts so I thought I might as well introduce myself. DOes anyone have any advice on ssi. We applied 5 months ago for and we are still waiting. Is this common? It is frusterating because the medical would help so much but we still are waiting. Any advice on assets would be helpful to! DOes anyone know the dollar amount of allowable assets for a family of 4? Any details about ssi would be so helpful! Thankyou, Tessa No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.1/1219 - Release Date: 1/11/2008 10:19 AM Ally

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

Call this number 1800-772-1213 and see what that say 7-7 monday-

friday

>

>

>

> call the ssi office you should have heard long before this

>

> -- I am new and have ???s about ssi

>

> My name is Tessa and I have a 6 year son with high

functioning autism.

> He was diagnosed this past summer and we have since tried

to learn all

> we can. I do not know anyone who has a child with autism so

I thought

> this would be a great resource. I have enjoyed reading the

other posts

> so I thought I might as well introduce myself. DOes anyone

have any

> advice on ssi. We applied 5 months ago for and we are

still

> waiting. Is this common? It is frusterating because the

medical would

> help so much but we still are waiting. Any advice on assets

would be

> helpful to! DOes anyone know the dollar amount of allowable

assets for

> a family of 4? Any details about ssi would be so helpful!

Thankyou,

> Tessa

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

>

> --------------------------------------------------------------------

----------

>

>

> No virus found in this incoming message.

> Checked by AVG Free Edition.

> Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.1/1219 - Release Date:

1/11/2008 10:19 AM

>

Tessa, Get a disability attorney! They are paid ONLY when your claim is approved. They takes cases that they are pretty sure they can win. I would NEVER deal with disability claims without a knowledgeable attorney. Our disability attorney had our (then 8 yr old) child come in and just talk with him (with me present). After 30 minutes of non-stop talk about his (child's) obsession (video games) the attorney mouthed quietly to me "no problem". Yes, we were turned down by Social Security the first time (this is quite common). The attorney was so committed to getting SSI for this child (because the child needs it), he got social security to provide an evaluation. After 45 minutes with the evaluator (again with me in the room), the evaluator turned to me as asked quietly "Why are we doing this?" (this = evaluation) as it was obvious to anyone who knew what they were doing that this child is clearly disabled. One of the other things that we did was to keep

computer notes on what we observed over a month's time. It is amazing how much we as parents take in stride, yet when taken together are clear signs of obvious disability. We kept the document on the desktop of our computer and jotted down with date and specifics anything that was not neurotypical and any difficulties/accommodations, etc. we made.... we were especially careful to include names, dates, specific incidents, quotes, etc. We also asked 2 - 3 other people to write letters about their observations (this is in addition to reports by professionals.). We initially had some problems because some of the "professionals" were not trained enough to recognize high functioning autism and therefore downplayed or actually ignored obvious symptoms/signs and behaviors. The additional social security report, the personal letters, the month-long documentation by us, and the most important thing: the belief of the disability attorney that this child is disabled is what was

successful in terms of ssi claim. Don't give up.

I am in WI, and I know that they have some formula that they use to figure out how much of your income is countable. They subtract $20, and like 1/2 or something...don't remember off the top of my head, too tired right now. It took, I think 3 mos for my daughter or maybe 4, and like 5 for my son(he has autism, she had failure to thrive, delayed bone growth, and severe dev. delays), we applied when they were just over a yr(they are twins and will be 9 in May). And my youngest son, we applied for him in May and he was approved in June. He has autism, mild mental retardation and severe language and motor impairments. He is 6 and right now functions at a 2-3 yo level, not toilet trained and just starting to be verbal.One of the things that I did when we applied, was to take the kid(s) with, and let them see what the impairment(s) were, and how delayed, etc the kid(s) were. We switched Dr's right before(like a month or so) we had applied,

because the idiot we were seeing saw nothing wrong with the fact that my daughter at 12 mos, was wearing 6 mo clothes, couldn't sit up unassisted or crawl, and that my son was so delayed that even with us starting therapy(pt and ot) thru birth to 3 at 7mos, that he wasnt able to sit up either until about 10 mos or so, he said it was normal. That twins are just like that...yeah right.I would say, bring the child with, let them see the degree of impairment, make sure you have all your paperwork, like school eval's, dr reports, etc. The more eval's and such and concrete things that show level of functioning, the less you will have to run around and do with their dr's.Just my 2 cents, in WI

2700?...income?allthpretyhrses@... wrote: For a family of 4 I believe the income limit is about 2700. As for assets, they told me you really can't have any. My oldest got approved in 3 months. My other one got denied. We are still appealing it. Its been 4 months sense we applied. And a month sense his denial. Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.