RemedySpot.com

Re: Repeats things over and over and over...

Rate this topic

Guest guest

>

> I forgot I belonged to this group... sheesh.

>

> I have a three year old son with possible Aspergers (and a husband

> too). We have been in line to be evaluated for 6 months. It's too

bad

> that stuff is so far out. By the time we get there his paper work

will

> be obsolete.

>

> Just about everything I look up leads to Aspergers. My three year

old

> says things over and over. In fact, right now he is saying " Here's

the

> Lego Mom. Here's the Lego Mom. Here's the Lego Mom. Here's the Lego

> Mom. " When he asks questions, he asks them over and over. He

doesn't

> seem to like the answer. The other thing he does is say " mom "

about

> 30+ times an hour. Unless dad is around then it's " dad. " How to

handle

> this or stop it!?!?!?

>

> Thanks

Hi Beth,

My son with Aspergers did this quite a bit when he was that age. I

heard the echolalia used to describe it. Ian would repeat a sentence

he just said to me, usually just once though, almost in a whisper as

if to confirm for himself what he had just said. Over the years this

did improve, and now at 13 he only does it occassionally.

>

My son when he was younger and was just learning how to speak..age 3 or so after he was in EI and Cpse he would fill space when trying to talk with "ra ra ra" Like....he was trying to climb a tree with his brother and he would say...Ra Ra Ra....climbing up a tree. Actually my older son who is only 2 years older then peter could understand and communicate with his younger brother better then anyone else. Jack my older son was very verbal(if you know what I mean) very early and he could understand communicate and then translate what his brother was saying and then tell me. It was remarkable. Jack would spend hours with his little brother and I believe that he really helped peter so much in those very early....hard...yearsjennifer <jb91604@...> wrote: In my experience there is no stopping it. When my son was 3 or 4 he said words over and over. They were words that he made up. One of them was" honkshoe". That was his response to everything and everyone. It was also a word he used just to fill space. Monkey was another one. Yes he did the mom,mom,mom think also.He's 12 now and still does it to some degree.His latest word is bootleg. He has mild touretts so that may be part of it. But in answer to your question I'm sure you'll find allot of parents with the same issues. -son Brady 12 -bp,asp,add,tourettes7 th grd middle school, IEP one on one aidemainstream. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

LOL. My son is 12 and still does this to a certain degree. What he also does is he asks questions he already knows the answers to. So what we tell him is "You already know the answer to that." We refuse to give him the answer for something we have already answered. It is the consistency of doing that that helps. We also tell him to look up answers to his questions that can be found in books or the internet. I know your son is only 3 but its a good way to get him more interested in books if he knows the answers can be found there. A good way to get him to stop is to redirect him or to politely refuse to give him the answer over and over again. If you have already told him once then he knows the answer. And let him know that. Or you can write down your answer for him and he can refer to that every time he wants to ask that question. When he asks tell him "The answer is written down for you, remember?" Its something you will have to do for years to come. Its sooooo

frustrating. I know. But if you stick to that it does start to lessen. Good Luck!!!!

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Re echolalia..... often it is a way to comfort the self. I find that when our child is repeating things ad nauseum it is because he is stressed. When we get the comfort level back, then the echolalia is reduced. I see it as a symptom and a communication of stress.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

While I am not an expert in this field let

me tell you what we did. My twins (now 6 ½) were diagnosed with Autism &

SDD (Significant developmental delays). My daughter did the echolalia part

quite a bit but she was only 2-2 ½ at that time. I was told to acknowledge what

she did/say maybe a couple of times when it was told to me & then ignore her

responses the rest of the time. Now while my daughter did not do it as often as

you say your son does it was often enough & I tried to do it as much as I

could (I felt like a really horrible Mom!) and thankfully when she started

understanding a little better I used to say “we say it only once”

etc…and it did stop eventually.

Also, regarding your diagnosis I would get

in touch with your regular pediatrician

& tell him/her you are waiting to be tested & meanwhile get them to give you a prescription for Speech (at

least 2/week) & OT and then start your own therapies. My daughter was only

diagnosed by the school when she turned 3 (Early intervention program) but we

had started therapies by the time she was 2 year 2

months old. She is now in Grade 1 in a regular class with no IEP except for

speech given for 1 hour per week. She still has speech privately twice per

week. She has progressed so much. If you had seen her report at 3 you would

have started crying (I did!). Ultimately it’s a doc’s prescription to

get services & your ability to pay (we had to refinance our house etc….)

that really matters but I truly believe that EARLY

INTERVENTION is the KEY As I’m sure you’ve heard many

times over & she would not have progressed this far without those early

services. My son has mild Autism & is in Kindergarten but doing First Grade

Math & Spelling in a Mild Autism class. He has come far too.

Like I said each one’s situ is

unique and what works for one doesn’t always work for another.

All the best & I will definitely say a

prayer for you. I know how overwhelming it can be!!

Nicky

From: Autism and Aspergers Treatment [mailto:Autism and Aspergers Treatment ] On Behalf Of timianne333

Sent: Saturday, January 12, 2008 8:53 AM

Autism and Aspergers Treatment

Subject: Re:

Repeats things over and over and over...

>

> I forgot I belonged to this group... sheesh.

>

> I have a three year old son with possible Aspergers (and a husband

> too). We have been in line to be evaluated for 6 months. It's too

bad

> that stuff is so far out. By the time we get there his paper work

will

> be obsolete.

>

> Just about everything I look up leads to Aspergers. My three year

old

> says things over and over. In fact, right now he is saying " Here's

the

> Lego Mom. Here's the Lego Mom. Here's the Lego Mom. Here's the Lego

> Mom. " When he asks questions, he asks them over and over. He

doesn't

> seem to like the answer. The other thing he does is say " mom "

about

> 30+ times an hour. Unless dad is around then it's " dad. " How to

handle

> this or stop it!?!?!?

>

> Thanks

Hi Beth,

My son with Aspergers did this quite a bit when he was that age. I

heard the echolalia used to describe it. Ian would repeat a sentence

he just said to me, usually just once though, almost in a whisper as

if to confirm for himself what he had just said. Over the years this

did improve, and now at 13 he only does it occassionally.

>

my son often says things over and over again. Many times it's

sayings from movies or tv shows right now it's " all of those parts

are deleted " . If I try to redirect him or get him to stop he will

just say it lower so I don't hear him or so he thinks. He can really

tune me out until he finishes. Frustrating isn't it?

>

> In my experience there is no stopping it. When my son was 3 or 4 he

said words over and over. They were words that he made up. One of

them was " honkshoe " . That was his response to everything and

everyone. It was also a word he used just to fill space. Monkey was

another one. Yes he did the mom,mom,mom think also.He's 12 now and

still does it to some degree.His latest word is bootleg. He has mild

touretts so that may be part of it. But in answer to your question

I'm sure you'll find allot of parents with the same issues.

>

> -son Brady 12 -bp,asp,add,tourettes

> 7 th grd middle school, IEP one on one aide

> mainstream.

>

>

> ---------------------------------

> Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with

Search.

>

My asperger's son is now 10 and he still repeats, especially when he is feeling overwhelmed or anxious. He will also use his nonsense word of the day when he doesn't know what else to say. So, we just had to learn to deal with it! You are lucky you can begin getting some treatments to help you son so early! People told us when we started at 4 that all the hard work would make a difference and it did.

Good luck!

lj

Repeats things over and over and over...

I forgot I belonged to this group... sheesh.

I have a three year old son with possible Aspergers (and a husband

too). We have been in line to be evaluated for 6 months. It's too bad

that stuff is so far out. By the time we get there his paper work will

be obsolete.

Just about everything I look up leads to Aspergers. My three year old

says things over and over. In fact, right now he is saying "Here's the

Lego Mom. Here's the Lego Mom. Here's the Lego Mom. Here's the Lego

Mom." When he asks questions, he asks them over and over. He doesn't

seem to like the answer. The other thing he does is say "mom" about

30+ times an hour. Unless dad is around then it's "dad." How to handle

this or stop it!?!?!?

Thanks

More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail!

When my son , now 16, was younger he would constantly repeat things over and over and over. He was mentored at the time by Gov Jeb Bush of Florida and they became good friends. Jeb got a bit exasperated one day at being asked the same thing what seemed like a hundred times. Jeb looked at him and asked Matt, "I know we talked about this last week and I KNOW YOU KNOW what I told you. When you remember what I told you, call me and let me know." He has never done that again. Jeb cured him. claire <daisygoogles@...> wrote: My son when he was younger and was just learning how to speak..age 3 or so after he was in EI and Cpse he would fill space when trying to talk with "ra ra ra" Like....he was trying to climb a tree with his brother and he would say...Ra Ra Ra....climbing up a tree. Actually my older son who is only 2 years older then peter could understand and communicate with his younger brother better then anyone else. Jack my older son was very verbal(if you know what I mean) very early and he could understand communicate and then translate what his brother was saying and then tell me. It was remarkable. Jack would spend hours with his little brother and I believe that he really helped peter so much in those very early....hard...yearsjennifer <jb91604 > wrote: In my experience there is no stopping it. When my son was 3 or 4 he said words over and over. They were words that he made up. One of them was" honkshoe". That was his response to everything and everyone. It was also a word he used just to fill space. Monkey was another one. Yes he did the mom,mom,mom think also.He's 12 now and still does it to some degree.His latest word is bootleg. He has mild touretts so that may be part of it. But in answer to your question I'm sure you'll find allot of parents with the same issues. -son Brady 12 -bp,asp,add,tourettes7 th grd middle school, IEP one on one aidemainstream. Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search. Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

My son is doing this too. Asks questions he already knows the answer to in attempts to be a apart of conversations.At this point all he does is ask questions. I already have a meeting set-up with his ST, OT sp ed teacher and councilor to come up with different strategies and to stop the "wh" questions routine. I think he know "wh" questions now...LOLM Strahlendorf <pgnsht@...> wrote: LOL. My son is 12 and still does this to a certain degree. What he also does is he asks questions he already knows the answers to. So

what we tell him is "You already know the answer to that." We refuse to give him the answer for something we have already answered. It is the consistency of doing that that helps. We also tell him to look up answers to his questions that can be found in books or the internet. I know your son is only 3 but its a good way to get him more interested in books if he knows the answers can be found there. A good way to get him to stop is to redirect him or to politely refuse to give him the answer over and over again. If you have already told him once then he knows the answer. And let him know that. Or you can write down your answer for him and he can refer to that every time he wants to ask that question. When he asks tell him "The answer is written down for you, remember?" Its something you will have to do for years to come. Its sooooo frustrating. I know. But if you stick to that it does start to lessen. Good Luck!!!! Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

I think it is just one of those things with asd! My six year old son

repeats things over and over and he repeats entire books and movies

that he has comitted to memory! One thing our speech therapist

suggested when he is repeating thimgs is to say things like " are you

trying to get my attention? " Sometimes that helps but im not promising

any miracles!! She also told me that repeating things over and over

helps alex feel safe when he is anxious or upset. That doesnt solve

anything but it adds prospective! Good luck, Tessa

I think it is just one of those things with asd! My six year old son

repeats things over and over and he repeats entire books and movies

that he has comitted to memory! One thing our speech therapist

suggested when he is repeating thimgs is to say things like " are you

trying to get my attention? " Sometimes that helps but im not promising

any miracles!! She also told me that repeating things over and over

helps alex feel safe when he is anxious or upset. That doesnt solve

anything but it adds prospective! Good luck, Tessa

There is a name for this..echolilia... here is a link http://www.brighttots.com/Echolalia_Child_Autism.htmltessica_us <tessica_us@...> wrote: I think it is just one of those things with asd! My six year old son repeats things over and over and he repeats entire books and movies that he has comitted to memory! One thing our speech therapist suggested when he is repeating thimgs is to say things like " are you trying to get my attention?"

Sometimes that helps but im not promising any miracles!! She also told me that repeating things over and over helps alex feel safe when he is anxious or upset. That doesnt solve anything but it adds prospective! Good luck, Tessa

My son doesn't ask questions, he adds comments. It's usually something he has heard me or another adult say but he will start with "you know what I've been thinking?" Then he will tell you exactly what you've said to someone else. He's done it for so long, I've gotten used to it and just agree with his statement usually. If you don't he will go on and on about it but once you confirm the statement, he doesn't usually bring it up again.

Estevan, SK

Canada

-- Re: Re: Repeats things over and over and over...

My son is doing this too. Asks questions he already knows the answer to in attempts to be a apart of conversations.At this point all he does is ask questions.

I already have a meeting set-up with his ST, OT sp ed teacher and councilor to come up with different strategies and to stop the "wh" questions routine. I think he know "wh" questions now...LOLM Strahlendorf <pgnsht > wrote:

LOL. My son is 12 and still does this to a certain degree. What he also does is he asks questions he already knows the answers to. So what we tell him is "You already know the answer to that." We refuse to give him the answer for something we have already answered. It is the consistency of doing that that helps. We also tell him to look up answers to his questions that can be found in books or the internet. I know your son is only 3 but its a good way to get him more interested in books if he knows the answers can be found there. A good way to get him to stop is to redirect him or to politely refuse to give him the answer over and over again. If you have already told him once then he knows the answer. And let him know that. Or you can write down your answer for him and he can refer to that every time he wants to ask that question. When he asks tell him "The answer is written down for you, remember?" Its something you will have to do for years to come. Its sooooo frustrating. I know. But if you stick to that it does start to lessen.

Good Luck!!!!