RemedySpot.com

Re: Frustrated and Mad beyond belief

Rate this topic

Guest guest

You should address this issue with another group. IEP_guide/ Daisy <daisyc77@...> wrote: Ok Ladies I need some advice and help. My son Braydon just turned 6. We have a diagnosis of PDD/NOS at the moment. Just got a referral from the dr on his sixth Bday to Easter Seals so we can get a more specific and legal diagnosis. He is also very much ADHD and has Sensory integration

issues. Well I'm fighting w/ the school to give him ANYTHING.....Mostly i want an AID> I feel like i'm going to have to quit my job, put my other 2 kids in daycare so that i can go be his aid. His teacher is on my side and trying to help in whatever way she can but our county special ed team doesnt see the need for even a 504. "He's too smart" and "the teacher is doing too good of a job" are the excuses i'm getting from them. But then yesterday he hit a girl in the stomach at recess which is SOOOOO out of character...he usually is not agressive ...Impulsive YES agressive NO.....and then the School LOST HIM>>> he was supposed to go off w/ the kids to recess and instead went wandering the halls. Another teacher finally found him. I started a journal yesterday. The teacher and I are both writing in it...good and bad....this is going to the Psych, dr and Easter Seals but what can i do to make the

school stand up and listen. What are my legal rights for him. I cant be sitting here stressed every day because i'm afraid he's going to leave the school.daisyKeep informed, Keep posting, Keep trying.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Start by hiring an advocate. An advocate knows all the lingo and laws and can help you fight for your child. there is an organization called TASK that can help you find an advocate in your area. Doing it alone is hard and frustrating. And sometimes the schools count on the parents not knowing enough to fight back. Having an advocate will take care of that. I did it alone for years. Finally I hired an advocate. The day I took her to the school with me for the first time was like the clouds parting after years of constant rainfall. They straightened right up after that. But we went even further and hired an education lawyer to help fight for the rest of his educational needs. But our advocate was heaven sent. Daisy <daisyc77@...> wrote: Ok Ladies I need some advice and help. My son Braydon just turned 6. We have a diagnosis of PDD/NOS at the moment. Just got a referral from the dr on his sixth Bday to Easter Seals so we can get a more specific and legal diagnosis. He is also very much ADHD and has Sensory integration issues. Well I'm fighting w/ the school to give him ANYTHING.....Mostly i want an AID> I feel like i'm going to have to quit my job, put my other 2 kids in daycare so that i can go be his aid. His teacher is on my side and trying to help in whatever way she can but our county special ed team doesnt see the need for even a 504. "He's too smart" and "the teacher is doing too good of a job" are the excuses

i'm getting from them. But then yesterday he hit a girl in the stomach at recess which is SOOOOO out of character...he usually is not agressive ...Impulsive YES agressive NO.....and then the School LOST HIM>>> he was supposed to go off w/ the kids to recess and instead went wandering the halls. Another teacher finally found him. I started a journal yesterday. The teacher and I are both writing in it...good and bad....this is going to the Psych, dr and Easter Seals but what can i do to make the school stand up and listen. What are my legal rights for him. I cant be sitting here stressed every day because i'm afraid he's going to leave the school.daisy

Daisy I don't know what State u live in but the school needs to provide safe environment for your son. I live in FL and had similar issues. They should be able to provide some type of assistance to your son. I don't know about an aide. Usually they only have an one on one aide if the child is severely delayed. The boy in my daughter's class has his own aide because he is deaf,blind and a paraplegic. So i know it is very hard to have a one on one aide. We do have a part time aide that helps out at time but there are 10 kids in the class. They really need to sit down with u and set up a daily schedule for your son. This is what i did and it help keep track of him. They use to loose him alot. Good Luck I know how frustrating this can be. IDaisy <daisyc77@...> wrote: Ok Ladies I need some advice and help. My son Braydon just turned 6. We have a diagnosis of PDD/NOS at the moment. Just got a referral from the dr on his sixth Bday to Easter Seals so we can get a more specific and legal diagnosis. He is also very much ADHD and has Sensory integration issues. Well I'm fighting w/ the school to give him ANYTHING.....Mostly i want an AID> I feel like i'm going to have to quit my job, put my other 2 kids in daycare so that i can go be his aid. His teacher is on my side and trying to help in whatever way she can but our county special ed team doesnt see the need for even a 504. "He's too smart" and "the teacher is doing too good of a job" are

the excuses i'm getting from them. But then yesterday he hit a girl in the stomach at recess which is SOOOOO out of character...he usually is not agressive ...Impulsive YES agressive NO.....and then the School LOST HIM>>> he was supposed to go off w/ the kids to recess and instead went wandering the halls. Another teacher finally found him. I started a journal yesterday. The teacher and I are both writing in it...good and bad....this is going to the Psych, dr and Easter Seals but what can i do to make the school stand up and listen. What are my legal rights for him. I cant be sitting here stressed every day because i'm afraid he's going to leave the school.daisyAlly

Looking for last minute shopping deals? Find them fast with Search.

Daisy,Has the school even tested him? You can ask for testing and they have to do it. -son Brady 12 -bp,asp,add,tourettes7 th grd middle school, IEP one on one aidemainstream.

Write the school for an FBA evaluation.M Strahlendorf <pgnsht@...> wrote: Start by hiring an advocate. An advocate knows all the lingo and laws and can help you fight for your child. there is an organization called TASK that can help you find an advocate in your area. Doing it alone is hard and frustrating. And sometimes the schools count on the parents not knowing enough to fight back. Having an advocate will take care of that. I did it alone for years. Finally I hired an advocate. The day I took her to the school with me for the first

time was like the clouds parting after years of constant rainfall. They straightened right up after that. But we went even further and hired an education lawyer to help fight for the rest of his educational needs. But our advocate was heaven sent. Daisy <daisyc77 > wrote: Ok Ladies I need some advice and help. My son Braydon just turned 6. We have a diagnosis of PDD/NOS at the moment. Just got a referral from the dr on his sixth Bday to Easter Seals so we can get a more specific and legal diagnosis. He is also very much ADHD and has Sensory integration issues. Well I'm fighting w/ the school to give him ANYTHING.....Mostly i want an AID> I feel like i'm going to have to quit my job, put my other 2 kids in daycare so that i can go be his aid. His teacher is on my

side and trying to help in whatever way she can but our county special ed team doesnt see the need for even a 504. "He's too smart" and "the teacher is doing too good of a job" are the excuses i'm getting from them. But then yesterday he hit a girl in the stomach at recess which is SOOOOO out of character...he usually is not agressive ...Impulsive YES agressive NO.....and then the School LOST HIM>>> he was supposed to go off w/ the kids to recess and instead went wandering the halls. Another teacher finally found him. I started a journal yesterday. The teacher and I are both writing in it...good and bad....this is going to the Psych, dr and Easter Seals but what can i do to make the school stand up and listen. What are my legal rights for him. I cant be sitting here stressed every day because i'm afraid he's going to leave the school.daisy Never miss a thing. Make your homepage. Keep informed, Keep posting, Keep trying.

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I am new to this group. I have a 6 year old son with high

functioning autism. He is in kindergarden and he has an aid with him

at all times. is 'too smart' just as you described your son but he

still needs constant one on one. My advice to you is to start

documenting everything. Everything and anything. I would also recommend

you contact an organization called PAVE. It stands for Parents are

vital in education. They can help advise you on your legal rights and

its free! Google them and you can probaly find someone in your area. I

hope that helps. DOnt quit fighting!

I checked for PAVE and evidently is only in Washington I didnt see that it was in any other areas. Small update....I'm still fighting w/ the school for anything and every thing. In fact today was their first day back in over 2 weeks and he just didnt want to go. He was too tired. I even had to pull him out of the car and he faught me every inch of the way. He doesnt get seen at Easter Seals til at least April or May. Which really doesnt help for this school year and the bad thing is next yr i have 3 in the school including a Kindergardener so I have to help him and i cant be stretched between the 2 rooms ya know. I would love for Braydon to be able to function like the other kids but he just CANT. I am so tired of fighting w/ meds that i'm seriously considering going to the health food store today and researching what would be good for him to take instead. The side effects are just too much sometimes. Daisytessica_us <tessica_us@...> wrote: Hi, I am new to this group. I have a 6 year old son with high functioning autism. He is in kindergarden and he has an aid with him at all times. is 'too smart' just as you described your son but he still needs constant one on one. My advice to you is to start documenting everything. Everything and anything. I would also recommend you contact an organization called PAVE. It stands for Parents are vital in education. They can help advise you on your legal rights and

its free! Google them and you can probaly find someone in your area. I hope that helps. DOnt quit fighting! Daisy: wife to , Mom to Adayla, Braydon, Colton, and Faythe