RemedySpot.com

Re: SSI Settlement issues-need help

Rate this topic

Guest guest

DeeDee, Sorry I just got this message. I haven't checked this mail in a while. We had no trouble whatsoever getting Brady SSI. I went to the appt. I took him with me and all of his meds and notes from the doc. The next month there was money in my acct. NOW after about 7 yrs they have sent me a letter saying that I made too much money in 06 and want over $8000.00 back. I don't have any choice but to appeal. Thats the year we sold our business. We have to prove that the overage was unearned income. I am fuming mad and in a panic. They have been sending checks this whole time and they just NOW realize this? SHEESH!! What state are you in. I haven't heard of money being allocated that way. I hope you get some relief soon.-son Brady 13 -bp,asp,add,tourettes8 th grd middle school, IEP One on one aide "Finally"mainstream."Take the time to live forever" From: jdcorbin_2000 <jdcorbin_2000@...>Subject: SSI Settlement issues-need helpTo:

Autism and Aspergers Treatment Date: Monday, October 27, 2008, 1:46 PMHello all, we finally (in Sept) got my 15 yr old dd's SSI approved that we applied for in October 2005 (that is the initial appeal!, GEE no backlog there!) Anyway, they are still working out everything they have to to get the money out to us but what noone ever told us was that when you get a back settlement for SSI, the money has to go into a "dedicated" account and can only be used for APPROVED medical or educational expenses. Approved means you write a proposal to the SS worker in charge of your case and they decide if it is a viable expense and approve or deny your request. They also send the money out in 3 installments which are six months apart but they only send the maximum of 3 months of the current payment amount in the first and second installments. The balance is paid in 18 months. I can understand

keeping half separated out for the child/person in question and making the payee (person in charge of the money for them) show proof of the legitimate expenses the rest is used for but not to handle it this way. I have gotten so far behind it isn't even funny with losing my $40,000 a year job (single mom then) because of all the issues with my dd and then deciding that I needed to be there for her until we figured out what was going on. (not correctly diagnosed STILL at 12) So we finally got a correct diagnosis etc but I continued to work at home because she and her little brother (PDD nos, ADHD) do so much better when I am there. As a result, we are $1700 behind on rent (at $400 per month) and that doesn't include the part my landlord (a saint!) forgave me when I was behind with all the problems with the kids before I got remarried. Several hundred behind on electric and cannot afford $750

to get 225 gallons of fuel oil for our furnace. Long story short, the current monthly amounts are for "living expenses" like rent, utilities, prescription co pays, gas for going to drs appts, (60 miles one way as we live in a rural area), clothing etc but none of the back money can be used for these type of expenses. We were ,mislead by the system and even our attorney that we would "be paid for all the time since you applied" "you will getthe money eventually" etc/ We were not told only "approved" medicaland educational expenses etc. To use the money, you have to write a proposal of what you want to use it for and why and then the caseworker either approves or denies that use. The first installment is (barely) going to get her a computer so she can work online and not have to write things by hand (genius IQ, good grades and HORRIBLE handwriting) etc. The worker said that people have

used the money for "creative" things as long as they can show a link to health or education, like one family took a vacation. Not sure how that worked but that's ok because we have forgotten what those are it has been so long! lol Anyway, I wondered if anyone else has run into this and if so, does anyone have any "creative" ideas for the use of the funds besides the computer and probably braces in another six months. (I am just really worried about how she will adjust to them but the dentist says not just yet so I guess we will cross that bridge when we come to it. I could really use some input, even if it is just an understanding shoulder. God Bless! DeeDeemom of two boys and four girls!!17, 15, 10, 8, 6 & 4------------------------------------