RemedySpot.com

Re: Introduction and problem...sorry for the length

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hello Kathleen

I just wanted to say that I SO feel for you and know exactly what you are going through! My daughter has experienced this so many times with her son, my grandson (now 14 and at residential school). I don't know if you live in the states....we are in England....but obviously that doesn't mean the problems are different. I just wanted you to know that you are not alone...advising you is another thing...wish I could! Please don;t feel guilty though. You are only human and I defy anyone to go through these things without saying or doing things they wish they hadn't. I do hope things improve for both you and your son.

Warmest regards

Eileen

Introduction and problem...sorry for the length

Hi, I'm new to the list and was going to "lurk" for awhile and try to learn things but tonight something happened that has never happened before and I'm not sure how to respond to it and was hoping for some advice or experience.I am a single mom, I have a 15 year old boy and a 10 year old boy who has PDD. There is a long story behind it but things have been very hard this winter (school, teacher abuse, me taking him out of school, etc.), and his behavior has been horrible at times, even more so than I could have ever imagined.Anyway, every night I fight with him about taking a shower. He doesn't want to bathe or brush his teeth, If I don't check and force him, he will put his dirty clothes back on after a shower. (He wants to wear the same thing over and over and hates the new clothes). So tonight, I put my foot down because he hasn't showered in a few days and I didn't have the energy to fight anymore so I let it go that long. When I told him to get in the shower he got really mad as usual but he drew back his fist to hit me. I could see something "go off" in his eyes that made him stop but I got in his face and told him if he EVER raised his hand to hit me that I would beat the you know what out of him. Then, I regained my composure somewhat (I would never hit him but I was mad and he was calling me names and yelling and telling me how mean I was, etc. Then I told him that I wouldn't hit him but I would call the crisis center or the police and that they would take him away for trying to hurt me. He said "I woudl never forgive you" and I was so mad I said, oh well. He said "I'll just go live at Grandmas" and I told him "no you wont' because she won't let you". At this point my teenager actually appeared out of his room (lol) and told Tyler that he was such a bad son. That was what made him lose it. He started crying and screaming and seemed truly angry and HURT that someone would say that. I said well are you acting like a good son right now? Then he snuck in my room and called his grandma and started telling her how mean his brother and I am and how he "needed a break from this place", but failed to mention what he did. Anyway when I heard him talking on the phone, I picked up the other extension to listen. When he was done I said tell her what else you did. then he got mad that I was listening and started yelling and this is what concerns me...He yells and screams a lot and calls me mean or whatever but tonight he said I hate you, you piss me off you freakin bitch. This is my TEN year old little boy. I didn't say anything because I was in shock and he hung up the phone. Then he came in here and looked me dead in the eyes and screamed (in a mean, scary way) how much he hated me, how mean I was and how I pissed him off and freaking this and freaking that...Again, I didn't say anything or react and he went into my room and started throwing things, kicking things..etc. When he was in the shower I went into my room to see if he was okay and he had locked me out. I picked the lock and opened my door to a room that looked like a tornado had just gone through there.I was so mad that I did something terrible and now I feel so guilty that I don't know what to do...I'm so embarrassed to tell anyone and am scared to tell our counselor...I went into the other bathroom and flushed the toilet (twice) while he was in the shower. He came out and yelled that it was freaking cold and I caught myself giggling (not in front of him). Am I the most horrible mom or what? How could I do such a thing? I don't take the name calling and the "i hate you's" personally and I know that he cannot control himself but I did it anyway.Can anyone give me their advice? Has anyone been through this and did you do anything as bad as what I did? How should I punish him? If I show him that he got to me, he will use it in the future. If I ignore it and don't punish him, he will think he can get away with it again. I am so confused...Thanks,Kathleen

No virus found in this incoming message.Checked by AVG Free Edition. Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.19.7/1232 - Release Date: 18/01/2008 19:32

If flushing the toilet is all you did after going thru a horrible evening like that then you have nothing at all to feel bad about. Does your son with PDD have any counciling? I know from your post that the school doesn't seem to be very helpful and looks like they may even be part of the problem. I think it would be a good idea to start looking for some services in the community. I'm not sure where you live . thekatsmeow1969 <katdriggers@...> wrote: Hi, I'm new to the list and was going to "lurk" for

awhile and try to learn things but tonight something happened that has never happened before and I'm not sure how to respond to it and was hoping for some advice or experience.I am a single mom, I have a 15 year old boy and a 10 year old boy who has PDD. There is a long story behind it but things have been very hard this winter (school, teacher abuse, me taking him out of school, etc.), and his behavior has been horrible at times, even more so than I could have ever imagined.Anyway, every night I fight with him about taking a shower. He doesn't want to bathe or brush his teeth, If I don't check and force him, he will put his dirty clothes back on after a shower. (He wants to wear the same thing over and over and hates the new clothes). So tonight, I put my foot down because he hasn't showered in a few days and I didn't have the energy to fight anymore so I let it go that long. When I told him to get in the

shower he got really mad as usual but he drew back his fist to hit me. I could see something "go off" in his eyes that made him stop but I got in his face and told him if he EVER raised his hand to hit me that I would beat the you know what out of him. Then, I regained my composure somewhat (I would never hit him but I was mad and he was calling me names and yelling and telling me how mean I was, etc. Then I told him that I wouldn't hit him but I would call the crisis center or the police and that they would take him away for trying to hurt me. He said "I woudl never forgive you" and I was so mad I said, oh well. He said "I'll just go live at Grandmas" and I told him "no you wont' because she won't let you". At this point my teenager actually appeared out of his room (lol) and told Tyler that he was such a bad son. That was what made him lose it. He started crying and screaming and seemed truly angry and HURT

that someone would say that. I said well are you acting like a good son right now? Then he snuck in my room and called his grandma and started telling her how mean his brother and I am and how he "needed a break from this place", but failed to mention what he did. Anyway when I heard him talking on the phone, I picked up the other extension to listen. When he was done I said tell her what else you did. then he got mad that I was listening and started yelling and this is what concerns me...He yells and screams a lot and calls me mean or whatever but tonight he said I hate you, you piss me off you freakin bitch. This is my TEN year old little boy. I didn't say anything because I was in shock and he hung up the phone. Then he came in here and looked me dead in the eyes and screamed (in a mean, scary way) how much he hated me, how mean I was and how I pissed him off and freaking this and freaking that...Again, I

didn't say anything or react and he went into my room and started throwing things, kicking things..etc. When he was in the shower I went into my room to see if he was okay and he had locked me out. I picked the lock and opened my door to a room that looked like a tornado had just gone through there.I was so mad that I did something terrible and now I feel so guilty that I don't know what to do...I'm so embarrassed to tell anyone and am scared to tell our counselor...I went into the other bathroom and flushed the toilet (twice) while he was in the shower. He came out and yelled that it was freaking cold and I caught myself giggling (not in front of him). Am I the most horrible mom or what? How could I do such a thing? I don't take the name calling and the "i hate you's" personally and I know that he cannot control himself but I did it anyway.Can anyone give me their advice? Has anyone been through

this and did you do anything as bad as what I did? How should I punish him? If I show him that he got to me, he will use it in the future. If I ignore it and don't punish him, he will think he can get away with it again. I am so confused...Thanks,Kathleen

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

unfortunately, i have no advice, but i would like to say that you shouldn't be so hard on yourself. it is so hard to deal with your own child being so hateful and out of control. it's extremely painful and frustrating and anyone in that situation would lose their temper and patience from time to time and do and say things that they regret. every parent in even the best circumstance makes mistakes, no one is perfect. so try not to beat yourself up and try to figure out what a better way to handle it would have been so you're more prepared the next time there is an incident. and i'd also like to recommend the book "the explosive child" for anyone who has a child with serious behavior problems. good luck!!!

In a message dated 01/19/2008 11:07:38 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, katdriggers@... writes:

Hi, I'm new to the list and was going to "lurk" for awhile and try to learn things but tonight something happened that has never happened before and I'm not sure how to respond to it and was hoping for some advice or experience.I am a single mom, I have a 15 year old boy and a 10 year old boy who has PDD. There is a long story behind it but things have been very hard this winter (school, teacher abuse, me taking him out of school, etc.), and his behavior has been horrible at times, even more so than I could have ever imagined.Anyway, every night I fight with him about taking a shower. He doesn't want to bathe or brush his teeth, If I don't check and force him, he will put his dirty clothes back on after a shower. (He wants to wear the same thing over and over and hates the new clothes). So tonight, I put my foot down because he hasn't showered in a few days and I didn't have the energy to fight anymore so I let it go that long. When I told him to get in the shower he got really mad as usual but he drew back his fist to hit me. I could see something "go off" in his eyes that made him stop but I got in his face and told him if he EVER raised his hand to hit me that I would beat the you know what out of him. Then, I regained my composure somewhat (I would never hit him but I was mad and he was calling me names and yelling and telling me how mean I was, etc. Then I told him that I wouldn't hit him but I would call the crisis center or the police and that they would take him away for trying to hurt me. He said "I woudl never forgive you" and I was so mad I said, oh well. He said "I'll just go live at Grandmas" and I told him "no you wont' because she won't let you". At this point my teenager actually appeared out of his room (lol) and told Tyler that he was such a bad son. That was what made him lose it. He started crying and screaming and seemed truly angry and HURT that someone would say that. I said well are you acting like a good son right now? Then he snuck in my room and called his grandma and started telling her how mean his brother and I am and how he "needed a break from this place", but failed to mention what he did. Anyway when I heard him talking on the phone, I picked up the other extension to listen. When he was done I said tell her what else you did. then he got mad that I was listening and started yelling and this is what concerns me...He yells and screams a lot and calls me mean or whatever but tonight he said I hate you, you piss me off you freakin bitch. This is my TEN year old little boy. I didn't say anything because I was in shock and he hung up the phone. Then he came in here and looked me dead in the eyes and screamed (in a mean, scary way) how much he hated me, how mean I was and how I pissed him off and freaking this and freaking that...Again, I didn't say anything or react and he went into my room and started throwing things, kicking things..etc. When he was in the shower I went into my room to see if he was okay and he had locked me out. I picked the lock and opened my door to a room that looked like a tornado had just gone through there.I was so mad that I did something terrible and now I feel so guilty that I don't know what to do...I'm so embarrassed to tell anyone and am scared to tell our counselor...I went into the other bathroom and flushed the toilet (twice) while he was in the shower. He came out and yelled that it was freaking cold and I caught myself giggling (not in front of him). Am I the most horrible mom or what? How could I do such a thing? I don't take the name calling and the "i hate you's" personally and I know that he cannot control himself but I did it anyway.Can anyone give me their advice? Has anyone been through this and did you do anything as bad as what I did? How should I punish him? If I show him that he got to me, he will use it in the future. If I ignore it and don't punish him, he will think he can get away with it again. I am so confused...Thanks,Kathleen

HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!Start the year off right. Easy ways to stay in shape in the new year.

You are just tired and overwhelmed, I am sure of that. You probably don't get a break and anyone in your shoes will do occasional acts of frustration if you don't have any relief. Sounds to me like he needed a cold shower to straighten out his thinking...sounds mean, but when my son was little, he threw such a tantrum one night, after I had finally gotten his very colicky and sick little brother to sleep, having had no sleep in several days...he was freaking out over what was a very minor issue and I had HAD ENOUGH! I got a cup of water (cold not hot) and I dashed it in his face. That stopped the tantrum, not that I felt good about it, but then again, I could finally talk to him and get him into bed himself. I was alone with them for months at a time while hubby was deployed, and as I said my second child was not well at all, (ended up with a feeding tube, hearing aids, and a diagnosis of autism later at age of two) Older son has ADHD and Aspbergers, thus the pronounced tantrumming. It was awful and I sometimes wonder how I managed not to lose my composure more often with the amount of stress I faced on a daily basis. So when I think of that incident, it did no physical harm, probably no long term psychological harm, and we are close to this day (he's 9), but he still can be a handful. I sometimes have had that thought of "Okay, I have NO parenting skills left, as I have gone through the bag of tricks with no result." What do you do then? You do the best you can. Hang tough, everyone has horrible days/weeks....

ddClement

_____________________________________________________________Save hundreds on a Patent - Click here.

Your situation is not uncommon. Neither is your reaction.

Spectrum children have some of the most maladaptive behaviors - and

keep them for a long time. (I usually compare it to that cute baby

bird meant to be thrown out of the tree ...) ... But with careful

work and time, there is a chance of changing/shaping their behaviors.

It is good that you have put so much thought into how you are

reacting. (1) When they grow up, their behaviors will affect others

in the same ways if their behaviors do not change. This is part of

the motivation for helping them to make these needed changes. (2)

Your reactions may help him to change his behaviors or maintain his

behaviors. It is good to take note of his reactions: if he

maintains the behavior after you give a particular chosen reaction

(which you think will stop the behavior) over a month, then you might

want to choose another approach. (The point here is, you need to

choose a reaction beforehand, because now you know that this is

actually annoying, so what to do next time - as an effort to actually

eliminate this behavior.)

These children need a great deal of organization and structure. I

find it is helpful for each day to start and end about the same way.

There are certain daily chores and self-care factors which must come

into play every day: making beds, doing schoolwork, clearing

plates/what have you, taking showers properly, brushing teeth

properly, etc. I tend to put it all on a schedule (e.g., eat

breakfast, brush teeth, make bed, do morning ablutions, etc.).

Part of the unpleasantness of our jobs as parents here is that as

they grow, if they do not have it down, we do have to perform these

check-ups and ask them to please wash the hair (or hands ..) again,

etc. They may feel that they are competent or do not need to listen

to us, but ... " If you show me that you can do this properly and

consistently, then, of course, I will not need to check you or ask

you to do this. So, if you do not want me to mention this again,

then put this into your own hands - take responsibility for this

yourself - and go ahead and do it. " (This is the sort of thing that

should be said - firmly but calmly - rather professionally ...)

We can let them know that we certainly do not want to do this check-

up stuff, and since they don't want to get checked, they can prove

that they are worthy of a level of independence and freedom (as long

as they give evidence of doing what they need to do.

Your situation is not uncommon. Neither is your reaction.

Spectrum children have some of the most maladaptive behaviors - and

keep them for a long time. (I usually compare it to that cute baby

bird meant to be thrown out of the tree ...) ... But with careful

work and time, there is a chance of changing/shaping their behaviors.

It is good that you have put so much thought into how you are

reacting. (1) When they grow up, their behaviors will affect others

in the same ways if their behaviors do not change. This is part of

the motivation for helping them to make these needed changes. (2)

Your reactions may help him to change his behaviors or maintain his

behaviors. It is good to take note of his reactions: if he

maintains the behavior after you give a particular chosen reaction

(which you think will stop the behavior) over a month, then you might

want to choose another approach. (The point here is, you need to

choose a reaction beforehand, because now you know that this is

actually annoying, so what to do next time - as an effort to actually

eliminate this behavior.)

These children need a great deal of organization and structure. I

find it is helpful for each day to start and end about the same way.

There are certain daily chores and self-care factors which must come

into play every day: making beds, doing schoolwork, clearing

plates/what have you, taking showers properly, brushing teeth

properly, etc. I tend to put it all on a schedule (e.g., eat

breakfast, brush teeth, make bed, do morning ablutions, etc.).

Part of the unpleasantness of our jobs as parents here is that as

they grow, if they do not have it down, we do have to perform these

check-ups and ask them to please wash the hair (or hands ..) again,

etc. They may feel that they are competent or do not need to listen

to us, but ... " If you show me that you can do this properly and

consistently, then, of course, I will not need to check you or ask

you to do this. So, if you do not want me to mention this again,

then put this into your own hands - take responsibility for this

yourself - and go ahead and do it. " (This is the sort of thing that

should be said - firmly but calmly - rather professionally ...)

We can let them know that we certainly do not want to do this check-

up stuff, and since they don't want to get checked, they can prove

that they are worthy of a level of independence and freedom (as long

as they give evidence of doing what they need to do.

>

> Hi, I'm new to the list and was going to " lurk " for awhile and try to

> learn things but tonight something happened that has never happened

> before and I'm not sure how to respond to it and was hoping for some

> advice or experience.

>

> I am a single mom, I have a 15 year old boy and a 10 year old boy who

> has PDD. There is a long story behind it but things have been very

> hard this winter (school, teacher abuse, me taking him out of school,

> etc.), and his behavior has been horrible at times, even more so than

> I could have ever imagined.

>

> Anyway, every night I fight with him about taking a shower. He

> doesn't want to bathe or brush his teeth, If I don't check and force

> him, he will put his dirty clothes back on after a shower. (He wants

> to wear the same thing over and over and hates the new clothes). So

> tonight, I put my foot down because he hasn't showered in a few days

> and I didn't have the energy to fight anymore so I let it go that

> long. When I told him to get in the shower he got really mad as

> usual but he drew back his fist to hit me. I could see something " go

> off " in his eyes that made him stop but I got in his face and told

> him if he EVER raised his hand to hit me that I would beat the you

> know what out of him. Then, I regained my composure somewhat (I

> would never hit him but I was mad and he was calling me names and

> yelling and telling me how mean I was, etc. Then I told him that I

> wouldn't hit him but I would call the crisis center or the police and

> that they would take him away for trying to hurt me. He said " I

> woudl never forgive you " and I was so mad I said, oh well. He

> said " I'll just go live at Grandmas " and I told him " no you wont'

> because she won't let you " .

>

> At this point my teenager actually appeared out of his room (lol) and

> told Tyler that he was such a bad son. That was what made him lose

> it. He started crying and screaming and seemed truly angry and HURT

> that someone would say that. I said well are you acting like a good

> son right now? Then he snuck in my room and called his grandma and

> started telling her how mean his brother and I am and how he " needed

> a break from this place " , but failed to mention what he did.

>

> Anyway when I heard him talking on the phone, I picked up the other

> extension to listen. When he was done I said tell her what else you

> did. then he got mad that I was listening and started yelling and

> this is what concerns me...He yells and screams a lot and calls me

> mean or whatever but tonight he said I hate you, you piss me off you

> freakin bitch. This is my TEN year old little boy. I didn't say

> anything because I was in shock and he hung up the phone. Then he

> came in here and looked me dead in the eyes and screamed (in a mean,

> scary way) how much he hated me, how mean I was and how I pissed him

> off and freaking this and freaking that...Again, I didn't say

> anything or react and he went into my room and started throwing

> things, kicking things..etc.

>

> When he was in the shower I went into my room to see if he was okay

> and he had locked me out. I picked the lock and opened my door to a

> room that looked like a tornado had just gone through there.

>

> I was so mad that I did something terrible and now I feel so guilty

> that I don't know what to do...I'm so embarrassed to tell anyone and

> am scared to tell our counselor...I went into the other bathroom and

> flushed the toilet (twice) while he was in the shower. He came out

> and yelled that it was freaking cold and I caught myself giggling

> (not in front of him). Am I the most horrible mom or what? How

> could I do such a thing? I don't take the name calling and the " i

> hate you's " personally and I know that he cannot control himself but

> I did it anyway.

>

> Can anyone give me their advice? Has anyone been through this and

> did you do anything as bad as what I did? How should I punish him?

> If I show him that he got to me, he will use it in the future. If I

> ignore it and don't punish him, he will think he can get away with it

> again. I am so confused...

>

> Thanks,

>

> Kathleen

>Hi Kathleen,

You are not a lone. I have had this happen to me (Mother) never with her

(Father) that she

raised her hand to me now 3 times in a 2 yr span. I am no expert by any mean

but you

need to try to remain calm all the time. They react extremely violent when

confronted and

feel threatened in a neg way. My second advice is you need to do what ever to

calm them

down first **then talk about what happened and how it can never happen

again* but not

when it is happening because that will only escalate the problem on every level.

Destroying the room was wrong but at least it was not at you or your other son

which is

pos. You need to seek anger management help for your son and try to make

showering a

positive thing. I know it sounds silly but I use to go to the dollar store buy

a 10-15 reward

things nothing big and would reward good behavior every Mondays and Thursday by

picking something from the bag. It worked great when we were going threw hard

times.

They like to be rewarded with presents. Do not ignore the behavior but try to

work on

ways to avoid in the future. About flushing the toilet that is ok you are human

too and

need to let it out I know how it feels to be so hurt by someone you just are

trying to help.

I repeat I am no expert just trying to help Just a mother who knows

doreen

Hi Kathleen,

I have to tell you that I actually smiled when I read what you did.

Maybe it wasn't the most mature thing to do but you didn't harm him

in any way and it did make you feel better. So flushing the toilet

was theraputic for you. Plus, you felt bad about it and that shows

that you care. So, in the end....I'm glad it made you feel better by

doing this even though it probably wasn't the best option but like I

said...nobody was hurt by any means. I know how hard it is coping

with behavior issues especially when all of it is aimed at you.

Take care,

>

> Hi, I'm new to the list and was going to " lurk " for awhile and try

to

> before and I'm not sure how to respond to it and was hoping for

some

> advice or experience.

>

> I am a single mom, I have a 15 year old boy and a 10 year old boy

who

> hard this winter (school, teacher abuse, me taking him out of

school,

> etc.), and his behavior has been horrible at times, even more so

than

>

> doesn't want to bathe or brush his teeth, If I don't check and

force

> him, he will put his dirty clothes back on after a shower. (He

wants

> to wear the same thing over and over and hates the new clothes).

So

> tonight, I put my foot down because he hasn't showered in a few

days

> usual but he drew back his fist to hit me. I could see

something " go

> wouldn't hit him but I would call the crisis center or the police

and

>

> At this point my teenager actually appeared out of his room (lol)

and

> it. He started crying and screaming and seemed truly angry and

HURT

> that someone would say that. I said well are you acting like a

good

> started telling her how mean his brother and I am and how

he " needed

>

> extension to listen. When he was done I said tell her what else

you

> mean or whatever but tonight he said I hate you, you piss me off

you

> came in here and looked me dead in the eyes and screamed (in a

mean,

> scary way) how much he hated me, how mean I was and how I pissed

him

>

> and he had locked me out. I picked the lock and opened my door to

a

>

> that I don't know what to do...I'm so embarrassed to tell anyone

and

> am scared to tell our counselor...I went into the other bathroom

and

> hate you's " personally and I know that he cannot control himself

but

> I did it anyway.

>

> did you do anything as bad as what I did? How should I punish

him?

> If I show him that he got to me, he will use it in the future. If

I

> ignore it and don't punish him, he will think he can get away with

it

>

> Thanks,

>

> Kathleen

>

Hi Kathleen,

I have to tell you that I actually smiled when I read what you did.

Maybe it wasn't the most mature thing to do but you didn't harm him

in any way and it did make you feel better. So flushing the toilet

was theraputic for you. Plus, you felt bad about it and that shows

that you care. So, in the end....I'm glad it made you feel better by

doing this even though it probably wasn't the best option but like I

said...nobody was hurt by any means. I know how hard it is coping

with behavior issues especially when all of it is aimed at you.

Take care,

>

> Hi, I'm new to the list and was going to " lurk " for awhile and try

to

> before and I'm not sure how to respond to it and was hoping for

some

> advice or experience.

>

> I am a single mom, I have a 15 year old boy and a 10 year old boy

who

> hard this winter (school, teacher abuse, me taking him out of

school,

> etc.), and his behavior has been horrible at times, even more so

than

>

> doesn't want to bathe or brush his teeth, If I don't check and

force

> him, he will put his dirty clothes back on after a shower. (He

wants

> to wear the same thing over and over and hates the new clothes).

So

> tonight, I put my foot down because he hasn't showered in a few

days

> usual but he drew back his fist to hit me. I could see

something " go

> wouldn't hit him but I would call the crisis center or the police

and

>

> At this point my teenager actually appeared out of his room (lol)

and

> it. He started crying and screaming and seemed truly angry and

HURT

> that someone would say that. I said well are you acting like a

good

> started telling her how mean his brother and I am and how

he " needed

>

> extension to listen. When he was done I said tell her what else

you

> mean or whatever but tonight he said I hate you, you piss me off

you

> came in here and looked me dead in the eyes and screamed (in a

mean,

> scary way) how much he hated me, how mean I was and how I pissed

him

>

> and he had locked me out. I picked the lock and opened my door to

a

>

> that I don't know what to do...I'm so embarrassed to tell anyone

and

> am scared to tell our counselor...I went into the other bathroom

and

> hate you's " personally and I know that he cannot control himself

but

> I did it anyway.

>

> did you do anything as bad as what I did? How should I punish

him?

> If I show him that he got to me, he will use it in the future. If

I

> ignore it and don't punish him, he will think he can get away with

it

>

> Thanks,

>

> Kathleen

>

I just wanted to thank you all for your support and great advice. I

felt so guilty about flushing the toilet! His therapist laughed when

I told her which made me feel a little less guilty. She said what

you all said, she said to just let go of that guilt because it wasn't

a big deal and that she probably would have done worse if she were in

my shoes LOL

The other day Tyler got mad at me and actually said " I hate you, you

f'ing b___. " I stood there for a minute and then walked away. After

some time had passed and I allowed him out of his room I asked him

how he could say something so terrible, (He had forgotten by then)

and when he remembered, he fell apart. (REAL guilt), He was hugging

me and crying and saying he was sorry and that I'm his best mommy

ever and then he kept yelling at himself saying, I hate you, you are

so stupid, how could you say something so horrible to my best mommy,

stuff like that. It broke my heart because he gets SO mad at himself

when calms down and realizes what he has said or done if it is

something that he thinks has hurt my feelings. I didn't know that

kids with autism could feel regret to that extent. I hated to see

him feel so badly but perhaps he needed to experience it so it could

maybe? stick in his mind the next time he " loses " control.

I just told him that I forgave him and that I loved him and nothing

he could ever do could stop me from loving him BUT that it was

unacceptable, mean and disrespectful to call me names and to curse at

me.

Gosh, I did it again, I turned a short thank you into a long email.

SORRY! I'm not normally like this but we are dealing with a lot

right now (school, etc).

Thanks again!

Kathleen

• 1 month later...
Guest guest

It happens don't beat your self up over it. UGH! kids they can try the patience of a saint. My son reacts with the name calling ,swearing ,threatening to hurt us,he is self injurious,he hits ,he tells me he hates me his new thing is your a f#*king retard. Now I know I have sworn the F word but I don't use the word retard. I have tried everything I can to get him to stop I am getting another BSC on Fri. hopefully we can finally do something about this he is 12 yrs old and has done this since like 5. My son also has raised his fist at me and he held it back he didn't hit, it is almost like you can see it in their eyes they don't want to act this way but they do not know how to stop.He has hit me and his siblings and I am trying to get him under control because when he is bigger than me it

will hurt a lot more than it does now.I can totally relate to this,I hope you can get some help with him.does he get in home services like tss now they cant shower them but they can keep him focused on getting into the bathroom and getting in the shower then when they are done instruct them to dress brush teeth etc... (they would be outside the bathroom) but like I said they can keep him on task like getting his pajamas for bed time.getting the wash cloth and towel . they can work with social stories or clip art that will show the necessary steps to bathe the right way.I am getting TSS also soon to start to help me with this my kids don't like to get a shower.So it can take an hour just to get one kid showered and I have 4 kids.The personal hygiene is also an issue toileting especially. Unless they are like really dirty & nasty there is no law saying you have to shower daily most people do to get rid of the icky

feeling of the day ,but I don't see anything wrong with missing it.Just remember you are only one person. Not sure if your older son helps you but if not have him help you I know it is hard my oldest is 16 and he tries to help me sometimes it makes it worse he has done the coming out and saying something that made it worse lol.but maybe he can take over something for you so you can try to help the son with the issues.It hurts the hell out of you when they scream and fight you and tell you they hate you ,I know you are not to take it to heart they don't mean it and I don't take it to heart but it hurts just the same when you see your child go through this and not know what to do to make it go away to make it all better.I hope you can get some help for you and your family . Vickie WwW.SparkleTags.Com----- Original Message ----From: claire <daisygoogles@...>Autism and Aspergers Treatment Sent: Sunday, January 20, 2008 8:41:33 AMSubject: Re: Introduction and problem...sorry for the length

If flushing the toilet is all you did after going thru a horrible evening like that then you have nothing at all to feel bad about. Does your son with PDD have any counciling? I know from your post that the school doesn't seem to be very helpful and looks like they may even be part of the problem. I think it would be a good idea to start looking for some services in the community. I'm not sure where you live . thekatsmeow1969 <katdriggers@ msn.com> wrote: Hi, I'm new to the list and was going to "lurk" for

awhile and try to learn things but tonight something happened that has never happened before and I'm not sure how to respond to it and was hoping for some advice or experience.I am a single mom, I have a 15 year old boy and a 10 year old boy who has PDD. There is a long story behind it but things have been very hard this winter (school, teacher abuse, me taking him out of school, etc.), and his behavior has been horrible at times, even more so than I could have ever imagined.Anyway, every night I fight with him about taking a shower. He doesn't want to bathe or brush his teeth, If I don't check and force him, he will put his dirty clothes back on after a shower. (He wants to wear the same thing over and over and hates the new clothes). So tonight, I put my foot down because he hasn't showered in a few days and I didn't have the energy to fight anymore so I let it go that long. When I

told him to get in the

shower he got really mad as usual but he drew back his fist to hit me. I could see something "go off" in his eyes that made him stop but I got in his face and told him if he EVER raised his hand to hit me that I would beat the you know what out of him. Then, I regained my composure somewhat (I would never hit him but I was mad and he was calling me names and yelling and telling me how mean I was, etc. Then I told him that I wouldn't hit him but I would call the crisis center or the police and that they would take him away for trying to hurt me. He said "I woudl never forgive you" and I was so mad I said, oh well. He said "I'll just go live at Grandmas" and I told him "no you wont' because she won't let you". At this point my teenager actually appeared out of his room (lol) and told Tyler that he was such a bad son. That was what made him lose it. He started crying and screaming and seemed truly

angry and HURT

that someone would say that. I said well are you acting like a good son right now? Then he snuck in my room and called his grandma and started telling her how mean his brother and I am and how he "needed a break from this place", but failed to mention what he did. Anyway when I heard him talking on the phone, I picked up the other extension to listen. When he was done I said tell her what else you did. then he got mad that I was listening and started yelling and this is what concerns me...He yells and screams a lot and calls me mean or whatever but tonight he said I hate you, you piss me off you freakin bitch. This is my TEN year old little boy. I didn't say anything because I was in shock and he hung up the phone. Then he came in here and looked me dead in the eyes and screamed (in a mean, scary way) how much he hated me, how mean I was and how I pissed him off and freaking this and freaking

that...Again, I

didn't say anything or react and he went into my room and started throwing things, kicking things..etc. When he was in the shower I went into my room to see if he was okay and he had locked me out. I picked the lock and opened my door to a room that looked like a tornado had just gone through there.I was so mad that I did something terrible and now I feel so guilty that I don't know what to do...I'm so embarrassed to tell anyone and am scared to tell our counselor... I went into the other bathroom and flushed the toilet (twice) while he was in the shower. He came out and yelled that it was freaking cold and I caught myself giggling (not in front of him). Am I the most horrible mom or what? How could I do such a thing? I don't take the name calling and the "i hate you's" personally and I know that he cannot control himself but I did it anyway.Can anyone give me their advice? Has

anyone been through

this and did you do anything as bad as what I did? How should I punish him? If I show him that he got to me, he will use it in the future. If I ignore it and don't punish him, he will think he can get away with it again. I am so confused...Thanks,Kathleen Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.

Never miss a thing. Make your homepage.