RemedySpot.com

Re: Re: Why can't I get a good connection with my pendants?

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

When the CH icons are red, that usually indicates a poor connection.  If it is happening on various Pendants, it certainly indicates a problem with connection quality.-- Van Deusenpvdtlc@...

http://www.brain-trainer.comUSA 678 224 5895BR 47 3346 6235The Learning Curve, Inc.

On Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 9:56 PM, Margoshes <drmargoshes@...> wrote:

Listmates,Here is an update: I have now solved the problem of the pendant saying " Connecting... " but never Connecting. It was a Com Port problem. I didn't realize it, because in the past when I've had this problem it says " No Port. " But this time somehow there was a port, but it didn't coincide with where the pendant was supposed to be (i.e., the port named in " Device Manager. " ). OK, so that's solved, but I still can't solve the problem that, most of the time, Channel 1 is on continuous red regardless of which pendant, which receiver, which laptop, which electrodes, etc.  Any help appreciated. It's so frustrating that I can't find anybody in or near New York City to look at these pendants.

LizOn Wed, Jul 4, 2012 at 4:56 PM, Margoshes <drmargoshes@...> wrote:

I've been having so many problems with my pendants. First, Ch1 is always red - I prepped well, new battery, etc (this is with two-channel designs). Changing to another pendant -- with a different " receiver " in the computer, changing electrodes (they are new) -- still Ch 1 always red. (I have two actives, in +1 and +2, two references, linked with the jumper cable, plugged into -1 and -2, and a ground in the middle hole of the pendant.

Next -- BioExplorer stayed on " Connecting... " but never " Connected. " I changed the battery again. Still, it didn't connect. So then I plugged everything in to another laptop, and now it is connecting -- hooray -- but -- Channel 1 is always red again!

(No, I can't say that I have *ever* had a consistently good connection since starting to do NF)I am using saline and EEG spray and a nice headband. My electrodes are covered with felt pads I made myself to hold the saline. Earclips are also covered in felt pads and soaked in saline. The scalp is prepped with alcohol and NuPrep.

What could be wrong?? could it be a problem with my copy of BioExplorer? Oh -- I should say that sometimes the connection is FINE and I get beautiful EEG -- but it is completely unpredictable! and now it feels like acting up. Very frustrating!

Thank you for any ideas!Liz-- Margoshes, Ph.D.New York State Licensed Psychologist

-- Margoshes, Ph.D.New York State Licensed Psychologist

Guest guest

Thanks, Pete. I just don't know why I have so much trouble with my connections. I wish everyone would shave their heads. Maybe I should get a job in a Tibetan monastery.Liz On Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 9:18 AM, pvdtlc <pvdtlc@...> wrote:

When the CH icons are red, that usually indicates a poor connection.  If it is happening on various Pendants, it certainly indicates a problem with connection quality.-- Van Deusen

pvdtlc@...

http://www.brain-trainer.comUSA 678 224 5895BR 47 3346 6235The Learning Curve, Inc.

Listmates,Here is an update: I have now solved the problem of the pendant saying " Connecting... " but never Connecting. It was a Com Port problem. I didn't realize it, because in the past when I've had this problem it says " No Port. " But this time somehow there was a port, but it didn't coincide with where the pendant was supposed to be (i.e., the port named in " Device Manager. " ). OK, so that's solved, but I still can't solve the problem that, most of the time, Channel 1 is on continuous red regardless of which pendant, which receiver, which laptop, which electrodes, etc.  Any help appreciated. It's so frustrating that I can't find anybody in or near New York City to look at these pendants.

I've been having so many problems with my pendants. First, Ch1 is always red - I prepped well, new battery, etc (this is with two-channel designs). Changing to another pendant -- with a different " receiver " in the computer, changing electrodes (they are new) -- still Ch 1 always red. (I have two actives, in +1 and +2, two references, linked with the jumper cable, plugged into -1 and -2, and a ground in the middle hole of the pendant.

Next -- BioExplorer stayed on " Connecting... " but never " Connected. " I changed the battery again. Still, it didn't connect. So then I plugged everything in to another laptop, and now it is connecting -- hooray -- but -- Channel 1 is always red again!

(No, I can't say that I have *ever* had a consistently good connection since starting to do NF)I am using saline and EEG spray and a nice headband. My electrodes are covered with felt pads I made myself to hold the saline. Earclips are also covered in felt pads and soaked in saline. The scalp is prepped with alcohol and NuPrep.

What could be wrong?? could it be a problem with my copy of BioExplorer? Oh -- I should say that sometimes the connection is FINE and I get beautiful EEG -- but it is completely unpredictable! and now it feels like acting up. Very frustrating!

Thank you for any ideas!Liz-- Margoshes, Ph.D.New York State Licensed Psychologist

Guest guest

Oh Pete, I wanted to add: when the electrodes are not connected to anything, the pendant is turned on, and BE is saying "connected", (the electrodes are in the pendant and the pendant is, say, on the table), Ch 1 is red and Ch 2 is green! And then, when I place the electrodes on the head, that does not change...ch 1 still red and ch 2 still green, and when I then record, there is a beautiful EEG coming out of ch 2 and ch 1 is crazy spiky noise. Whereas when things are working properly, *both* channels are Green even when the pendant is sitting on the table. So this is why I'm thinking maybe it's more than a poor connection?Liz S. Margoshes, Ph.D.New York State Licensed Psychologist On Jul 5, 2012, at 9:18 AM, pvdtlc <pvdtlc@...> wrote:

When the CH icons are red, that usually indicates a poor connection. If it is happening on various Pendants, it certainly indicates a problem with connection quality.-- Van Deusenpvdtlc@...

Listmates,Here is an update: I have now solved the problem of the pendant saying "Connecting..." but never Connecting. It was a Com Port problem. I didn't realize it, because in the past when I've had this problem it says "No Port." But this time somehow there was a port, but it didn't coincide with where the pendant was supposed to be (i.e., the port named in "Device Manager."). OK, so that's solved, but I still can't solve the problem that, most of the time, Channel 1 is on continuous red regardless of which pendant, which receiver, which laptop, which electrodes, etc. Any help appreciated. It's so frustrating that I can't find anybody in or near New York City to look at these pendants.

I've been having so many problems with my pendants. First, Ch1 is always red - I prepped well, new battery, etc (this is with two-channel designs). Changing to another pendant -- with a different "receiver" in the computer, changing electrodes (they are new) -- still Ch 1 always red. (I have two actives, in +1 and +2, two references, linked with the jumper cable, plugged into -1 and -2, and a ground in the middle hole of the pendant.

Next -- BioExplorer stayed on "Connecting..." but never "Connected." I changed the battery again. Still, it didn't connect. So then I plugged everything in to another laptop, and now it is connecting -- hooray -- but -- Channel 1 is always red again!

Guest guest

Liz,Have you eliminated some of the other variables such as switching out cables?  I have had so many bizarre problems with my QDS Excalibur and I just have to very patiently switch out each component until I find what is effecting my signal.  Several times it was my battery pack (don't use rechargeable batteries with a QDS!).  A thought I have would be getting your saline setup out of the way for one test and using some standard disposable electrodes or little gold plated ones, etc etc. 

Good luck Liz! ZOn Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 3:56 PM, me <drmargoshes@...> wrote:

Oh Pete, I wanted to add: when the electrodes are not connected to anything, the pendant is turned on, and BE is saying " connected " , (the electrodes are in the pendant and the pendant is, say, on the table), Ch 1 is red and Ch 2 is green! And then, when I place the electrodes on the head, that does not change...ch 1 still red and ch 2 still green, and when I then record, there is a beautiful EEG coming out of ch 2 and ch 1 is crazy spiky noise. Whereas when things are working properly, *both* channels are Green even when the pendant is sitting on the table. So this is why I'm thinking maybe it's more than a poor connection?

Liz S. Margoshes, Ph.D.New York State Licensed Psychologist On Jul 5, 2012, at 9:18 AM, pvdtlc <pvdtlc@...> wrote:

When the CH icons are red, that usually indicates a poor connection.  If it is happening on various Pendants, it certainly indicates a problem with connection quality.-- Van Deusenpvdtlc@...

Guest guest

My latest experiment was hooking up everything to my ProComp (instead of the pendant). It said Open to all connections when I used its impedance meter! Meaning No Connections! Then I reconnected to the head using paste instead of saline + headband and voila, a nice signal! So clearly, I have not mastered the art of saline connections.  The experiments continue...

On Jul 5, 2012 5:12 PM, " Zumbach " <zumbach@...> wrote:

Liz,Have you eliminated some of the other variables such as switching out cables?  I have had so many bizarre problems with my QDS Excalibur and I just have to very patiently switch out each component until I find what is effecting my signal.  Several times it was my battery pack (don't use rechargeable batteries with a QDS!).  A thought I have would be getting your saline setup out of the way for one test and using some standard disposable electrodes or little gold plated ones, etc etc. 

Oh Pete, I wanted to add: when the electrodes are not connected to anything, the pendant is turned on, and BE is saying " connected " , (the electrodes are in the pendant and the pendant is, say, on the table), Ch 1 is red and Ch 2 is green! And then, when I place the electrodes on the head, that does not change...ch 1 still red and ch 2 still green, and when I then record, there is a beautiful EEG coming out of ch 2 and ch 1 is crazy spiky noise. Whereas when things are working properly, *both* channels are Green even when the pendant is sitting on the table. So this is why I'm thinking maybe it's more than a poor connection?

Liz S. Margoshes, Ph.D.New York State Licensed Psychologist On Jul 5, 2012, at 9:18 AM, pvdtlc <pvdtlc@...> wrote:

Guest guest

Also, could we have the always-exciting discussion about HAIR? If someone has a lot of hair coming down, and you are putting electrodes on a back area, okay you push the hair to the left and to the right, and down below the electrode is obviously not a problem, but what do you do with the hair that is *above* the electrodes and thus falling down over them (because of, you know, gravity)? Oh another thing I've changed recently is that I bought new electrodes that are flat instead of the cups -- I did that because I wanted shorter electrodes (18 " instead of 36 " ) because I was always getting tangled up in spaghetti and because I was thinking shorter electrodes might give me a better connection -- but -- is it possible that these flat electrodes are harder to get a good connection with?

Here are my new electrodes:http://bio-medical.com/products/silver-flat-eeg-sensor-16-inch.htmland I have " regular " ear clips, silver. They seem fine. (?)

LizOn Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 5:47 PM, Margoshes <drmargoshes@...> wrote:

My latest experiment was hooking up everything to my ProComp (instead of the pendant). It said Open to all connections when I used its impedance meter! Meaning No Connections! Then I reconnected to the head using paste instead of saline + headband and voila, a nice signal! So clearly, I have not mastered the art of saline connections.  The experiments continue...

Guest guest

I'm bald, and so were some of the first people I started doing alpha-synchrony training with.  Oh boy when I first started dealing with people who had hair it was a serious pain in the ass!So Liz what I do is take a small daub of 10-20 paste, find the scalp locations I want, then part the hair to the left and right to create a " runway " of scalp.  Sometimes people will have such cumbersome and wispy hair that I use a little more paste and push the hair above the " runway " - up and out of the way.  I don't know if that was helpful but basically I just use 10-20 as a styling product until I have an ample strip of scalp available to me  :-)

I personally love these snap-in electrodes: http://bio-medical.com/products/neurotrode-eeg-sensors-60-pack.html

Well I didn't look up the exact product number but these look similar, the ones I use have a white fabric center not a black one.I just clean them off and reuse them, they last forever and I find them easier to get a clean signal with than the small gold plates.

DZOn Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 1:43 AM, Margoshes <drmargoshes@...> wrote:

Also, could we have the always-exciting discussion about HAIR? If someone has a lot of hair coming down, and you are putting electrodes on a back area, okay you push the hair to the left and to the right, and down below the electrode is obviously not a problem, but what do you do with the hair that is *above* the electrodes and thus falling down over them (because of, you know, gravity)? Oh another thing I've changed recently is that I bought new electrodes that are flat instead of the cups -- I did that because I wanted shorter electrodes (18 " instead of 36 " ) because I was always getting tangled up in spaghetti and because I was thinking shorter electrodes might give me a better connection -- but -- is it possible that these flat electrodes are harder to get a good connection with?

Here are my new electrodes:http://bio-medical.com/products/silver-flat-eeg-sensor-16-inch.htmland I have " regular " ear clips, silver. They seem fine. (?)

LizOn Thu, Jul 5, 2012 at 5:47 PM, Margoshes <drmargoshes@...> wrote:

Guest guest

Wow that's very interesting, but I have a few pendants, one rather newish, others I bought as very old used equipment, and as I said, when I used paste instead of saline the channel worked fine, so I do think my technique of attaching to the scalp is what I need to work on.LizOn Jul 5, 2012, at 8:27 AM, "davidkaus1975" <davidkaus1975@...> wrote:

Liz,

When I first received my pendant I also had a similar problem with Ch 1. After speaking with Pete, I found out it may be a problem with some pocket pendants. I spoke with Bruce from Pocket Neurobics and he had it repaired within a week.

I think it was a solder joint issue.. Does Channel 2 seem to work ok? Are you getting a good signal from Ch2?

I thought I was going crazy when I encountered the problem, I thought I wasn't doing something right..

>

> I've been having so many problems with my pendants. First, Ch1 is always

> red - I prepped well, new battery, etc (this is with two-channel designs).

> Changing to another pendant -- with a different "receiver" in the computer,

> changing electrodes (they are new) -- still Ch 1 always red. (I have two

> actives, in +1 and +2, two references, linked with the jumper cable,

> plugged into -1 and -2, and a ground in the middle hole of the pendant.

>

> Next -- BioExplorer stayed on "Connecting..." but never "Connected." I

> changed the battery again. Still, it didn't connect.

>

> So then I plugged everything in to another laptop, and now it is connecting

> -- hooray -- but -- Channel 1 is always red again!

>

> (No, I can't say that I have *ever* had a consistently good connection

> since starting to do NF)

>

> I am using saline and EEG spray and a nice headband. My electrodes are

> covered with felt pads I made myself to hold the saline. Earclips are also

> covered in felt pads and soaked in saline. The scalp is prepped with

> alcohol and NuPrep.

>

> What could be wrong?? could it be a problem with my copy of BioExplorer?

> Oh -- I should say that sometimes the connection is FINE and I get

> beautiful EEG -- but it is completely unpredictable! and now it feels like

> acting up. Very frustrating!

>

> Thank you for any ideas!

>

> Liz

>

> --

> Margoshes, Ph.D.

> New York State Licensed Psychologist

>

Guest guest

Listmates,Victory! Using good old paste instead of saline I am now able to train both my son and husband! yay. In case anyone is interested or willing to look at this EEG, I have attached a file of my son's -- this was using a 2-Ch alpha synchrony design for the first times, mostly eyes closed except for a little bit of time when he opened them. Electrodes are at the parietal region, left and right, linked ear references, and of course a ground.

Does this look like the EEG of somebody who needs/would benefit from alpha/synchrony training? what I'm seeing is that my son (and husband too) are getting the " synchrony bell " to ring many many times. I wonder if this is what I should be training.

When last I assessed my son (in college now, 19 years old, diagnosed with ADHD, VERY obsessive, intellectualized, anxious, and ruminative, sleep onset problems all his life, and yes, medicating with Adderall (although not today at time of training), it was suggested by Pete that we train down the hot temporals -- never quite got the hang of NF at that time, however.

He seems much more amenable to training, now, however, and we have two months until he goes back to college. I'd like to do the best we can now. Any suggestions welcome. Oh I guess I could attach his ancient assessment, too.

THANK YOU.LizOn Fri, Jul 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM, me <drmargoshes@...> wrote:

Wow that's very interesting, but I have a few pendants, one rather newish, others I bought as very old used equipment, and as I said, when I used paste instead of saline the channel worked fine, so I do think my technique of attaching to the scalp is what I need to work on.

LizOn Jul 5, 2012, at 8:27 AM, " davidkaus1975 " <davidkaus1975@...> wrote:

Liz,

When I first received my pendant I also had a similar problem with Ch 1. After speaking with Pete, I found out it may be a problem with some pocket pendants. I spoke with Bruce from Pocket Neurobics and he had it repaired within a week.

I think it was a solder joint issue.. Does Channel 2 seem to work ok? Are you getting a good signal from Ch2?

I thought I was going crazy when I encountered the problem, I thought I wasn't doing something right..

>

> I've been having so many problems with my pendants. First, Ch1 is always

> red - I prepped well, new battery, etc (this is with two-channel designs).

> Changing to another pendant -- with a different " receiver " in the computer,

> changing electrodes (they are new) -- still Ch 1 always red. (I have two

> actives, in +1 and +2, two references, linked with the jumper cable,

> plugged into -1 and -2, and a ground in the middle hole of the pendant.

>

> Next -- BioExplorer stayed on " Connecting... " but never " Connected. " I

> changed the battery again. Still, it didn't connect.

>

> So then I plugged everything in to another laptop, and now it is connecting

> -- hooray -- but -- Channel 1 is always red again!

>

> (No, I can't say that I have *ever* had a consistently good connection

> since starting to do NF)

>

> I am using saline and EEG spray and a nice headband. My electrodes are

> covered with felt pads I made myself to hold the saline. Earclips are also

> covered in felt pads and soaked in saline. The scalp is prepped with

> alcohol and NuPrep.

>

> What could be wrong?? could it be a problem with my copy of BioExplorer?

> Oh -- I should say that sometimes the connection is FINE and I get

> beautiful EEG -- but it is completely unpredictable! and now it feels like

> acting up. Very frustrating!

>

> Thank you for any ideas!

>

> Liz

>

> --

> Margoshes, Ph.D.

> New York State Licensed Psychologist

>