RemedySpot.com

educational needs

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Hi This is my first posting. I have a 13 year old daughter who has Aspergers and just wanted some feedback, advice, guidance, etc. on how other parents deal with the educational needs of the school system towards my daughter. We are just struggling to make them to do the right accommandations and modifications needed. Thanks for your help. Lori

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

We pulled out of the system because it caused to much stress for our son and we home school nowI have a behavior therapist that comes about once a week, he takes trumpet lessons, marshal arts, and does field trips and some classes with a local home school group.  He is not isolated but he is not as stressed or explosive as he was when in public school.we had an advocate last year but the school with a teacher w/8 years Aspergers class experience was still not reading him and would push him and follow him and joke around and it was to much - this was best for all of us and he is doing finehthGretaOn Jan 8, 2008, at 4:27 PM, Lori Peek wrote:Hi This is my first posting.  I have a 13 year old daughter who has Aspergers and just wanted some feedback, advice, guidance, etc.  on how other parents deal with the educational needs of the school system towards my daughter.  We are just struggling to make them to do the right accommandations and modifications needed.  Thanks for your help.  Lori

Hi Lori - It is a constant struggle and I have not been able to find a way to make it easy either. WE are lucky and have an Autism teacher who coordinates all the students and Para teams. WE work with her on an almost daily basis right now as we we deal with changes of going from elementary to Middle School with my 10 year old Aspie boy. She is a huge help but we cannot always make the teacher do what they need to do. WE have one teacher right now who is refusing to do anything so that is a problem. My son has worked without a para for two years and is really upset that he needs one now again.

Just keep communicating and pushing for what you know is right. Try to find an advocate at your school who can help you navigate. Make sure you keep your IEP up to date too!

Let me know if you come up with any great ideas too. I would appreciate any input as well.

LJ

educational needs

Hi

This is my first posting. I have a 13 year old daughter who has Aspergers and just wanted some feedback, advice, guidance, etc. on how other parents deal with the educational needs of the school system towards my daughter. We are just struggling to make them to do the right accommandations and modifications needed. Thanks for your help. Lori

Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Mobile. Try it now.

More new features than ever. Check out the new AOL Mail!