RemedySpot.com

diet

Rate this topic

Guest guest

That's basically how I eat. I'm a vegetarian. I don't use the ginger and tumeric, though. However, I still have RA and it's just as much of a problem as it always was.

----- Original Message ----- From: wendyhollander

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2004 9:56 AM

Subject: diet

Has anyone tried any of the following? If yes, notice any benefit?RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS Dietary Recommendations:*Decrease protein toward 10 percent of daily caloric intake. *Replace animal protein as much as possible with plant protein. *Eliminate milk and milk products, substituting other calcium sources. *Eat organically grown fruits and vegetables as much as possible as well as organic products made from wheat and soy. *Eliminate polyunsaturated vegetable oils, margarine, vegetable shortening, all partially hydrogenated oils, all foods (such as deep-fried foods) that might contain trans-fatty acids. *Use extra-virgin olive oil as your main fat. *Increase intake of omega-3 fatty acids. *Eat more fruits and vegetables. *Eat ginger and turmeric regularly.

this is pretty close to what i practice, and like an earlier poster says, it won't cure RA, but i think i am a lot healthier over all with this regemen. i don't consider it a 'diet', just good wholsome food without a lot of chemical additives. i really think that RA would have progressed more rapidy had i not deleted some of the items mentioned from my table. when i eat some things my stomach messes up big time and this upsets my whole system. the reflux goes crazy and i seem more prone to go into a flare. Besides using these guidelines the exercise is very important. exercise won't 'cure' RA, either, but it keeps the body from locking up totally and makes movement more tolerable.

as i noted in previous posts, i found a tv program with stretch type exercises a week ago and have been doing the best i can to do them each morning which i think is about 5 days now, and i can hardly believe how much it has helped. i still drive, and find it is still dificult getting out of the car i would e so stiff, but after a step or two i' m pretty much ok. and, of course, the predisone is helping to make this possible.

i am not knowledgeable of homeopathic methods, but i do take some herbal mixtures that i mix myself and they seem to help a lot, and though it is possible that it is all in my mind, ... as long as it seems to help, i will continue whether or not it's psycosomatic<G>

i also find that a smile and a little humour helps a lot and even though it won't cure RA, it makes life more bearable for both me and my associates ..LOL!!!

love.. granny lee

----- Original Message -----

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2004 8:56 AM

Subject: diet

Has anyone tried any of the following? If yes, notice any benefit?RHEUMATOID ARTHRITIS Dietary Recommendations:*Decrease protein toward 10 percent of daily caloric intake. *Replace animal protein as much as possible with plant protein. *Eliminate milk and milk products, substituting other calcium sources. *Eat organically grown fruits and vegetables as much as possible as well as organic products made from wheat and soy. *Eliminate polyunsaturated vegetable oils, margarine, vegetable shortening, all partially hydrogenated oils, all foods (such as deep-fried foods) that might contain trans-fatty acids. *Use extra-virgin olive oil as your main fat. *Increase intake of omega-3 fatty acids. *Eat more fruits and vegetables. *Eat ginger and turmeric regularly.

I gave up milk, sugar, wheat, fried food. My alternative doc helped a lot with diet and I also take fish oil. He said try to stay away from all packaged stuff with preservatives. My body seems to be very sensitive.

After trying many drugs, I read a book about antibiotic therapy and decided to go that route. It was a rough 6 months but I am very glad that I did it now. I have very little joint pain and closer to normal than ever. I have had RA for 7 years now. I well remember the painful swelling and inflammation and stiffness and don't want to go back to that.

I know everyone is different and hope you find relief.

Kay

• 10 months later...

In a message dated 12/4/04 2:19:25 PM, snowdrift52003@... writes:

nd there is always fruit. and vitamins. lol

And Jell-O!

I can't help but suspect that if diet really made a difference, somebody would write a book on it, become a millionaire, and the rest of us would no longer be in pain and taking handfulls of drugs.

I also have noticed that no matter what medical problem you have, the same diet seems to be pushed..no nightshades, little or no red meat, high fiber, little dairy....

You would think if someone followed it they would be 125 years old, heheh!

I suspect think keeping fit and active has nore impact that the specific diet..assuming one eats "normally"!

And quitting smoking...

Pris

Have you ever seen a potbellied pig give birth?

See "Teeny" have babies on Animal Planet's "That's My Baby", Dec. 7th, 3:00 PM ET.

Valentinesperformingpigs.com

I would not knock something that seems to work for many people even if it is only anecdotal evidence. Everyone has a comfort level as to how they approach their disease. I had a rheumatologist who told me that I could eat absolutely anything I wanted and that it would have no effect on my RA. I am not of that school of thought. But I could have chosen to just rely on drugs to try and control my disease. It just makes sense to me that whatever you put into your body breaks down in a certain way and if you can help yourself by not eating something, why not try it? If we all waited for JAMA to hand down proclamations, we might never get better just on our own. But each to his own.

gloria

Good Evening...

Who knows? I have certainly tried changing my diet eliminating red meat for a periold of more than 3 months it didn't help me. Not to say it might not help someone else, what works for some may not work for others.

I was on Humira... didn't work for me but, worked for a friend of mine she is completely without symptoms, I expected it to work for me it did not.

Now starting Monday I am going on Remicade. I am not looking forward to getting a IV for 3 hours. My greatest fear is what if nothing works?

I would like to hear from anyone who has been on Remicade...

Best regards to all

Chrisina

Chrisina DenBaugh, CEOwww.Adoption-Free-Search.orgEmergency Medical Locators for Adoptees"Dedicated to adoptees whose lives are imperiled by medical crisis"Free Medical locations Locating and obtaining biological medical histories For the adoption community and all in needBiological family traces for transplants availableStaff members are online 24/7 To handle emergency searches.

I totally agree with that. Expectations have a lot to do with it, and none of the recommended diets have any hard data to back them up. Anecdotal reports are interesting but worthless as far as support for a diet, method, or anything else.

----- Original Message ----- From: NELLIESTAR@...

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2004 6:48 PM

Subject: Re: Re: diet

In a message dated 12/4/04 2:19:25 PM, snowdrift52003@... writes:

nd there is always fruit. and vitamins. lolAnd Jell-O!I can't help but suspect that if diet really made a difference, somebody would write a book on it, become a millionaire, and the rest of us would no longer be in pain and taking handfulls of drugs.I also have noticed that no matter what medical problem you have, the same diet seems to be pushed..no nightshades, little or no red meat, high fiber, little dairy....You would think if someone followed it they would be 125 years old, heheh!I suspect think keeping fit and active has nore impact that the specific diet..assuming one eats "normally"!And quitting smoking...PrisHave you ever seen a potbellied pig give birth?See "Teeny" have babies on Animal Planet's "That's My Baby", Dec. 7th, 3:00 PM ET.Valentinesperformingpigs.com

I'm not knocking diet if it works for someone, but I'm tired of the "quick-cure" mentality. If there were something that actually worked to modify the effects of the disease, we'd all use it and there wouldn't be a need for this list. I've seen too many people spend money they don't have, get their hopes up, and instead of facing what is, spend their lives trying to find the "cure" by diet, herbals, etc. All those things can make you feel better, and much of that effect is good health, which would help everyone. Your attitude is a huge factor in your emotional well-being, and that affects everything that happens to you. All the diets in the world aren't going to overcome negativity and self-pity. I'd like to see a discussion about being grateful that we're all alive and in charge of our lives. It isn't what happens to you; it's what you do about it.

----- Original Message ----- From: gloriarex@...

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2004 7:06 PM

Subject: Re: Re: diet

I would not knock something that seems to work for many people even if it is only anecdotal evidence. Everyone has a comfort level as to how they approach their disease. I had a rheumatologist who told me that I could eat absolutely anything I wanted and that it would have no effect on my RA. I am not of that school of thought. But I could have chosen to just rely on drugs to try and control my disease. It just makes sense to me that whatever you put into your body breaks down in a certain way and if you can help yourself by not eating something, why not try it? If we all waited for JAMA to hand down proclamations, we might never get better just on our own. But each to his own.

gloria

> I totally agree with that. Expectations have a lot to do with it,

and none of the recommended diets have any hard data to back them up.

Anecdotal reports are interesting but worthless as far as support for

a diet, method, or anything else.

>

>

Actually, as Beth pointed out in an earlier post, there has been good

research indicating that diet does make a difference in RA. I believe

one could more information on the s Hopkins site.

Sierra

You said:

I was on Humira... didn't work for me but, worked for a friend of mine she is completely without symptoms, I expected it to work for me it did not.

Now starting Monday I am going on Remicade. I am not looking forward to getting a IV for 3 hours. My greatest fear is what if nothing works?

Reply: I have had RA for 12 years. MTX worked wonders for 10-11 of those years. I will never know whether my RA was getting worse, or the MTX wasn't working as well, but I went on Humira. Ended up taking it weekly because bi-weekly wasn't doing much for me. After about 6 months my rheumy decided we were wasting the insurance companies money. He switched me to Remicade. That was when my fear started; what if Remicade didn't work? What would I take? I've been on Remicade for 6 months and at my last visit the doctor reduced my dose of MTX and said he didn't need to see me for 6 months. I am on an average dose of Remicade which means that if I need more medication there is room to increase the dose. Hurray! There is still a medication out there which helps.

May I make a suggestion? When you get your Remicade there will probably be other people getting theirs at the same time.

Patients talk to each other as we do here on the list. Don't compare yourself to them -- the drug may have a different effect on you (i.e., maybe a slower onset of action, maybe you won't feel any effect for several days, or you only notice the difference when it gets close to your next infusion time). Just ask yourself do I feel better on Remicade than I did on Humira?

My answer was "yes" but by listening to other patients I was expecting a miraculous cure. The important thing is to not let other peoples reaction impact on you --- that creates stress and we all know what stress does to our RA!

Good Luck!

Pat

All the diets recommended by universities, research centers, and reputable doctors have one thing in common: good health. Diets heavy in red meat or focused on one specific thing are generally not healthy. Good health will help *any* condition.

----- Original Message ----- From: snowdrift52003

Rheumatoid Arthritis

Sent: Saturday, December 04, 2004 10:40 PM

Subject: Re: diet

> I totally agree with that. Expectations have a lot to do with it, and none of the recommended diets have any hard data to back them up. Anecdotal reports are interesting but worthless as far as support for a diet, method, or anything else.> > Actually, as Beth pointed out in an earlier post, there has been good research indicating that diet does make a difference in RA. I believe one could more information on the s Hopkins site. Sierra

I STRONGLY take exception to the literature

> that states unequivocally " red meat is bad for you " or similar.

I couldn't agree with you more. I eat low carb, but it is because I have been

hypoglycemic for twenty years and it works to control my blood sugar. I wasn't

TOLD low carb would control my hypoglycemia, but I discovered it through trial

and error. It works for me. I eat about 100 grams of carb a day, mostly whole

grains and fruits. Other than that I eat a pretty well balanced diet, and take

a good multivitamin, fish oil, and calcium. I don't know what effect it has on

my RA, but it sure helps the blood sugar. Sugar IS bad for me, but that doesn't

mean it is bad for you. You have to make that decision for yourself. You can

take almost any premise and find support for it somewhere. If one person says

meat is bad, there is another that says we shouldn't eat anything the cave men

didn't eat. Another swears we shouldn't eat fats. Someone else says eat only

organic. Maybe one of those is the right thing for you, but it isn't

necessarily the right thing for everyone. Find what works for you, not only for

your RA, but for your general health and to maintain your proper wieght so that

you can live as full a life as this disease will allow us.

Sharon