RemedySpot.com

Re: Valtrex/Acyclovir

Rate this topic

Guest guest

My doctor has just started me on Valtrex a month ago, the theory is that Valtrex will stop the virus from occasionally spiking up basically keeping the HIV virus at a stable levels and in the long run that will help me increase my T-cells,few studies seem to suggest so, but check with me in 6-9 months and I will tell you if it has done something for me.I have also just started taking prescription vitamin B12 by nose and prescription vitamin D for the same reason.I started taking over the counter vitamin D3 with calcium last year and that did increase my Tcell by about 60 in a few months period.Mark B From: bullhead3031 <bullhead3031@...> Sent: Friday, January 13, 2012 12:26 PM Subject: Valtrex/Acyclovir

I have been doing some reading up on the Internet lately. Not for myself, but regarding my partner's health. I have been taking 500 mg of Valtrex for the past 6+ years. Usually, Valtrex or Acyclovir was just prescribed for Herpes zoster or someone who carried Herpes and has an outbreak more than three times. Lately, I have been reading up that this medication can aid and assist the HIV medications when treating the patient. Is there anyone in here who knows much about this...??? It seems either that I could be just lucky or there is some truth behind this. My current is 758/undet and my partner's last was 158/undetec.http://timehasshownme.com------------------------------------

I have been taking acyclovir since the mid 90's. I have not been

diagnosed with herpes. Back then there was a study that showed that

HIV+ people who took acyclovir experience fewer infections, so I

mentioned it to my doctor and he saw no harm in adding it. I have

been taking it ever since and my new doctor has never questioned it.

I believe there was a later study that showed benefit as well.

Hi

i posted this last november, including my use of generic acyclovir for

general health. NOTE that i believe in HIV meds that the lowest dose that still

saves your life is better than overdosing. I have believed this since kaiser

killed a friend of mine with massive daily doses of AZT in 1991, long after most

docs greatly reduced the dose. Kaiser has come a long way since, and i think

they are great now. I'm poz 27 yrs, 600 / undet.

<<Re: Shingles Vaccine

I had a bad case of shingles back in 1990, right after my partner died, and i

was under a lot of stress. Marcus Conant, then in general practice for hiv

stuff, gave me massive doses of acyclovir (then called zovirax) and some kind of

bath which cleared it up in a matter of days.

Since then, at his recommendation, i have been doing THREE 400's A WEEK as

prophylaxis, and i haven't had a recurrence and only minor cold sores once or

twice a year (pretty much same thing, herpes virus). At one of Marcus' monthly

meetings (remember this is 20 yrs ago), HE ALSO NOTED STUDIES WHICH INDICATED

SEMI REGULAR USE OF ACYCLOVIR MADE YOU LIVE LONGER. I'm guessing this had to do

with active herpes virus affect on health of organs.

You might ask your doc about acyclovir, it's been generic for yrs and is cheap.

BUT the biggest thing is LOWER STRESS. Remember, too much stress can kill you,

not enuf challenge will kill you just as fast. The secret to long life is to

balance the two. (long term readers may remember this philosophy).

http://www.webmd.com/skin-problems-and-treatments/shingles/shingles-topic-overvi\

ew

Potrero Hill

San Francisco >>

>

> I have been doing some reading up on the Internet lately. Not for myself, but

regarding my partner's health. I have been taking 500 mg of Valtrex for the past

6+ years. Usually, Valtrex or Acyclovir was just prescribed for Herpes zoster

or someone who carried Herpes and has an outbreak more than three times.

Lately, I have been reading up that this medication can aid and assist the HIV

medications when treating the patient. Is there anyone in here who knows much

about this...??? It seems either that I could be just lucky or there is some

truth behind this. My current is 758/undet and my partner's last was

158/undetec.

>

> http://timehasshownme.com

>

I have seen miracles in salvage patients that have few to no options left. Higher doses of acyclovir can reduce their HIV viral load by a log sometimes.  I read a study once that showed that acyclovir is actually a good booster of intracellular nucleoside levels.

If you have been poz for a long time and have recurrent fever blisters or shingles, you should think about staying on it continuously.  Herpes can activate HIV virus.

On Fri, Jan 13, 2012 at 9:26 AM, bullhead3031 <bullhead3031@...> wrote:

I have been doing some reading up on the Internet lately.  Not for myself, but regarding my partner's health. I have been taking 500 mg of Valtrex for the past 6+ years.  Usually, Valtrex or Acyclovir was just prescribed for Herpes zoster or someone who carried Herpes and has an outbreak more than three times.  Lately, I have been reading up that this medication can aid and assist the HIV medications when treating the patient.  Is there anyone in here who knows much about this...???  It seems either that I could be just lucky or there is some truth behind this.  My current is 758/undet and my partner's last was 158/undetec.

http://timehasshownme.com

------------------------------------

"Lately, I have been reading up that this medication can aid and assist the HIV medications when treating the patient. Is there anyone in here who knows much about this...??? It seems either that I could be just lucky or there is some truth behind this. My current is 758/undet and my partner's last was 158/undetec."Even since Fred Flinstone was diagnosed with AIDS, people have suspected that acyclovir has some impact on HIV, but nobody has really figured out why. From time to time, people have shown some advantage for those on acyclovir therapy. Perhaps supressing the herpes has beneficial effects on background inflammation, perhaps its something else.It also seems that people on HAART may have fewer breakthroughs of herpes than you might think, which, if true, is kind of tantalizing.So, there is some reason to suspect that anti-herpes therapy may have a measurable benefit for HIV management, but it's not really proven, and nobody knows for certain.JB