RemedySpot.com

thanks fo all the replies about my shingles

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Check out the following web site for UC San Francisco Medical Center. With regard to the herpes zoster (shingles) innoculation, they say:

"Persons with HIV infection are at risk of developing severe illness from either varicella or zoster. HIV-infected patients with active, symptomatic VZV infection usually require specific antiviral chemotherapy; hospitalization may be necessary in some cases. Acyclovir, valacyclovir, and famciclovir are the antiviral therapies of choice for most VZV infections.(3-14) Intravenous foscarnet is effective for patients with acyclovir-resistant VZV infections.(15-18) Administration of the varicella vaccine to prevent primary infection is an important strategy to protect children and adults who have not had prior VZV infection. The vaccine can be given to HIV-infected patients who have CD4 T-lymphocyte counts of >200 cells/µL despite the theoretical risk of live-virus vaccination in this population.(19-23) A high-titered VZV vaccine to prevent reactivated VZV disease also is available for adults, but is not specifically recommended for immunocompromised patients such as those with HIV infection.(24)"

http://hivinsite.ucsf.edu/InSite?page=kb-05-03-01

Varicella-Zoster Virus and HIV (November 2011)

In a message dated 3/5/2012 5:50:47 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, brent32092@... writes:

i want to thank everyone in all the help and advice on my shingles. thanks for the replies i am very gratefull

brent