RemedySpot.com

Re: The Lemming Compulsion, or How People With Neuropathy and HIV Will G

Rate this topic

Guest guest

,I totally agree with you about this being BS. I don't know how they could possibly link such behaviors with neuropathy. This sounds like the list of behaviors of many people in the '80s who found out they were positive and were told they would be dead in a year. I know I had some friends who did that, self fulfilling prophecies. Perhaps you can enlighten me about what seems to be the return of the neuropathy symptoms? In the past I had mild forms of neuropathy from some of the drugs, but with the new medications I no longer have those symptoms. Maybe my symptoms were not severe enough to have caused permanent damage. Is this what has happened? Returning to the article, how could maxing out your credit cards, over indulging in food, gambling , etc. possibly relieve your pain from

neuropathy? Alcohol and drugs, yes, I can see the temporary relief in that, but long term abuse would only make matters worse.

My 2 cents,First using the term "lemmings" is insulting. What's his point? That people who are in constant, debilitating pain seek ways to alleviate it? Personally, I've know hundreds of people who suffer from neuropathy and haven't met a gambling addict, sex addict, or alcoholic among any of them. His blog is full of generalizations with no basis in fact. , why does "The Body" print this shit? It give legitimacy to someone who is talking out of his asshole.LarryOn Jan 13, 2012, at 6:42 AM, J Barrowster wrote:

I find this very strange. He's blaming any kind of behavior issue on the pain of chronic neuropathy, and I find some of the suggestions more than a little weak.

JB

Hi guys.Speaking from under my hat as a retired psychotherapist, specializing in substance abuse and addictions, I can offer my opinion here, that yes, obsessive compulsive over-indulging in such activities as shopping, food, gambling and other such impulsive behaviors can become as addictive for some people as chemical addictions such as problem drinking and drugs. (commonly referred to as "alcoholism" or "addiction"). And such must be treated, much in the same way as substance abuse and/or addiction. Not everyone suffers from the same compulsive behaviors in the same way, nor does everyone react in the same way to stress, through "acting out" behaviors. Many people find healthy ways to cope with life on life's terms. But, the few that do have problems often need help in recovering from the habitual and destructive, often life threatening actions that they cannot otherwise stop. It is a vicious cycle, as you say, . The more compulsive the behavior, the greater the spiral downward, so that at "bottom" the individual cannot find any relief no matter how much the activity used to temporarily ease the pain. Long term abuse DOES take it's toll, making life more miserable.Speaking from under my hat as a person recovered from alcoholism, I can say that the patterns are easily recognizable in myself. And although I do not believe, professionally or personally, in the concept of "alcoholic personality" I do believe that if and when I do not take care of myself, psychologically, biologically, emotionally, socially and spiritually -- for each one of those where there is deficiency, I begin to have problems. It's easy to turn to my "drug of choice" -- unless I'm taking care of myself. And there is an additive impact . . . as we say in recovery, when I'm too Hungry, Angry, Lonely, or Tired, I'm leaning into trouble. Any one of those I might be ok. Two . . . more . . . three . . . well, you get it. <GRIN>Hugs for the trudge, JonRaleigh, 9.9.82On Jan 13, 2012, at 1:24 PM, Watts wrote:,I totally agree with you about this being BS. I don't know how they could possibly link such behaviors with neuropathy. This sounds like the list of behaviors of many people in the '80s who found out they were positive and were told they would be dead in a year. I know I had some friends who did that, self fulfilling prophecies. Perhaps you can enlighten me about what seems to be the return of the neuropathy symptoms? In the past I had mild forms of neuropathy from some of the drugs, but with the new medications I no longer have those symptoms. Maybe my symptoms were not severe enough to have caused permanent damage. Is this what has happened? Returning to the article, how could maxing out your credit cards, over indulging in food, gambling , etc. possibly relieve your pain from neuropathy? Alcohol and drugs, yes, I can see the temporary relief in that, but long term abuse would only make matters worse.