RemedySpot.com

Upcoming Events and Meetings

Rate this topic

Guest guest

***************************Heidi J. Newsletter #1 January 7, 2008*******************************

In this issue

Town Hall Meetings- Parent Training Information Center of Parent to Parent of Georgia

Unlock The Waiting List Update

Disability Day - Feb. 21, 2008

Bowling- Angels in the Alley- North Metro Miracle League

Dearest Advocates:

This is my first newsletter via Constant Contact using my advocacy distribution list that has been growing since 2003 after the first Save Our Special (SOS) Kids Rally at the Capitol that I helped coordinate. Over the years, that small list of 100 e-mails has grown to over 2,000+!

I just wanted you to know that my goal in sending out this information has and will always be to help families, providers and concerned citizens be aware of events, issues and opportunities to help all of us influence change in the disability world. I also want to make sure that when we do need to advocate and get involved that the issues are easy to understand and we are able to impact change. Only through continuing to voice our concerns and educate everyone in the State, are we going to continue to impact change for children and adults with disabilities.

If you have any events, meetings or informational items that could benefit everyone, please forward those to me as well........

In the coming months, I do plan on launching an informational website on many disability issues that I have sent out in the past but it will be archived for everyone's future reference. Will keep you posted on that project in 2008.

Please let me know if you have any problems with this e-mail. I'm hoping switching over to this system will help me be more effective in the months to come in getting information out quicker to you. If you do want want to receive this type of information from me any longer, please use the "Unsubscribe" feature at the bottom of this e-mail. If you are receiving this email in duplicate, please let me know that as well.

Also- if you could forward this email to your distribution lists to make sure everyone gets a copy of this e-mail...I would appreciate it. I had to do some major modifications and data entry in the last few days in order to put this together and I want to make sure that everyone that wants to be on this list, receives it.

I hope you find this information helpful now and in the future.

NOTE: If you received this information via a group and want to put my distribution list directly, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for your continuing support in 2008.

Happy New Year!

Heidi===============================================

Town Hall MeetingsSpecial Education as the Tool to Improve Student Outcomes!Navigation to Connections, the newly formed Parent Training Information Center (PTI) of Parent to Parent of Georgia in collaboration with Georgia Department of Education, Divisions for Special Education Services and Supports and the Parent Leader Coalition Navigator Teams will conduct 10 Town Hall Meetings throughout Georgia. Each meeting will provide a forum for parents and families to discuss "How to Navigate the Special Education Process for Better Student Outcomes".Dates, Locations and ContactsRichmond County - January 10, 2

00810am-12Noon at Columbia Cty Library/Comm. Mtg Rm6-8pm at MCG Children's Medical Conference Centersirwin@... *Whitfield County - February 6, 2008a_elaineb

u tler@... *Dougherty County - February 13, 2008kathy@...vicki.williams@...Floyd County - February 19

, 2008/6-8pmTrinity United Methodist Church, Mobley HallPLCHumphreys@... * County - February 27, 2008brown-g@... *Bulloch Count

y - March 6, 2008gahappiegirl@...bcnavteam@...marsha@... *Lowndes County - March 13, 2008lc_burks@...jlthrelkeld@... Henry County - March 27, 2008/7-9pmTrinity Family Worship Centershell@...mlaw@... *Bibb County - April 16, 2008nalini@...*Hall County - April 29, 2008scott.crain@... *Location to be determined

From Unlock the Waiting List:

Happy New Year from Dave and Rita and the Unlock the Waiting List Campaign! Best wishes to you and your family for a healthy and happy 2008!

With the legislative session starting this month, advocacy activity is about to be in full swing.

Here are just a few events for your calendar:

Two final Town Hall meetings will be held next week in Athens on the 7th and Roswell on the 8th. Please check the website for times and locations. Thanks to everyone who has come out to support the Town Halls. It is great to be able to meet parents and self advocates across the state who share a passion and enthusiasm for working for real community based options for people with disabilities.

February 13 is Legislative Day at the Capitol. This is an event that requires an RSVP. If you are interested in meeting with your legislator on the 13th regarding Unlock, please contact Rita for more information. If you can make the 13th but want to come another day, contact Joe.

Disability Day:

February 21st is Disability Day at the Capitol sponsored by the Governors Council on Developmental Disabilities. Last year 1,800 people came out to the rally at the Capitol.

To register: http://www.gcdd.org/rsvp/index2008.html

Let's send a message loud and clear......Disability issues matter in this state. Hope to see you there!

Bowling - Angels in the Alley-

North Metro Miracle League

WE ARE BACK FOR OUR 3RD YEAR

Who: All special needs children/adults and their families

(Siblings and parents may participate)

What: Bowling

When: Starting January 5th, 2008

9 a.m. until approximately 10:45

Where: Stars and Strikes in Cumming

(Go to www.nmml.net for more info and

directions)

Cost: $5 per bowler includes shoes and all games bowled.

For more information contact:

Sherri Fuentes at msmcfuentes@...

or phone: 770-337-9870

--Heidi J. (Proud Mother to - 7 years old with Down syndrome & - 6 years old) For more information about how Heidi can help you maximize your child's potential, please go to www.heidijmoore.com "Help The Children Now, So They Can Help Themselves Later!" The material contained in this e-mail is for general information only. It is not intended in any way to provide or offer legal advice. To obtain legal advice, please consult with your attorney or a qualified legal representative. For previous advocacy email's, please go to the following website: http://www.lgtinc.org/authors/41/Heidi-J.-. To see how you can advocate for your child go to www.kidshealthcarega.org.