RemedySpot.com

Re: Selenium and Folic Acid

Rate this topic

Guest guest

I haven't heard that about either, actually. I haven't looked re lowering bp. Re prostate cancer, Selenium when found at higher levels in the blood has been associated in more aggressive forms of the cancer among those already diagnosed...not that Se itself causes it but rather these men appear to have a defect in the manganese superoxide dismutase gene (SOD2). This was part of the findings in the SELECT study which showed neither increase nor decrease in prostate cancer risk among selenium supplement users.There is some evidence that selenium is often found reduced in the blood of people with HIV. It is incorporated into glutathione reductase enzymes which are, among other things, important for red blood cells. Folic acid is also a critically important micronutrient along with vitamin B12, also often found depressed in the blood of untreated HIV+ people. Selenium supplementation has been studied in the context of HIV disease and has not had an impact on CD4 count. By contrast, people with low CD4 counts in Jiamton's study (CD<100 and to some extent, those with CD4<200), showed a multiple micronutrient (that had 400 micrograms in each supplement) reduced the risk of dying (mortality) statistically significantly.My feeling is a good potent multi can address a wide range of extant deficiency issues and thus makes sense. I wouldn't rely on any single micronutrient, tho, for example, I take more vitamins C and D in addition to my multi. Overall, if you add a selenium supplement to your regimen, if you DO take a multi, make sure you're not exceeding about 400-600 micrograms of Se per day. High doses of this mineral can be toxic.I also think everyone body is different and some may need more of some and less of others--and that it ALL begins with empowering ourselves over food choices (if one has the joy of having sufficient access to food and clean water). M. On Feb 5, 2012, at 8:07 AM, bullhead3031 wrote:

I have heard throughout the years that selenium and folic acid can aid in increased cd-4 counts and lower blood pressure. Most recently, I have read that these two supplements, especially with men, are likely to cause an increase in the rate of prostate cancer. Does anyone have any facts on this?

http://timehasshownme.com

I haven't heard that about either, actually. I haven't looked re lowering bp. Re prostate cancer, Selenium when found at higher levels in the blood has been associated in more aggressive forms of the cancer among those already diagnosed...not that Se itself causes it but rather these men appear to have a defect in the manganese superoxide dismutase gene (SOD2). This was part of the findings in the SELECT study which showed neither increase nor decrease in prostate cancer risk among selenium supplement users.There is some evidence that selenium is often found reduced in the blood of people with HIV. It is incorporated into glutathione reductase enzymes which are, among other things, important for red blood cells. Folic acid is also a critically important micronutrient along with vitamin B12, also often found depressed in the blood of untreated HIV+ people. Selenium supplementation has been studied in the context of HIV disease and has not had an impact on CD4 count. By contrast, people with low CD4 counts in Jiamton's study (CD<100 and to some extent, those with CD4<200), showed a multiple micronutrient (that had 400 micrograms in each supplement) reduced the risk of dying (mortality) statistically significantly.My feeling is a good potent multi can address a wide range of extant deficiency issues and thus makes sense. I wouldn't rely on any single micronutrient, tho, for example, I take more vitamins C and D in addition to my multi. Overall, if you add a selenium supplement to your regimen, if you DO take a multi, make sure you're not exceeding about 400-600 micrograms of Se per day. High doses of this mineral can be toxic.I also think everyone body is different and some may need more of some and less of others--and that it ALL begins with empowering ourselves over food choices (if one has the joy of having sufficient access to food and clean water). M. On Feb 5, 2012, at 8:07 AM, bullhead3031 wrote:

I have heard throughout the years that selenium and folic acid can aid in increased cd-4 counts and lower blood pressure. Most recently, I have read that these two supplements, especially with men, are likely to cause an increase in the rate of prostate cancer. Does anyone have any facts on this?

http://timehasshownme.com