plies. The pain is not so bad I have to stop what I am doing, but it

worries me. I definitely want to protect and improve my knees. Does

anyone have any thoughts on what types of pain mean progress and what

types of pain indicate a problem? If the knee pain is a bad thing, how

should I modify my exercises?

Thanks!

Tamara

Hi Tamara,

You've already gotten some great form pointers (and shoe information too) and modifying ideas but I wanted to add that if your joints hurt or you feel things (tendons, muscles, etc.) stretching and pulling to the point of pain then you are risking injury by continuing past that point. When you have muscle soreness it is important to rest those muscles and let the muscle fiber rebuild (others jump in if I'm not saying that right!) but I don't think you're in much danger of injury at that moment though you could certainly overwork the muscle too. The big thing is though that if you're sure it is not muscle soreness then stop whatever you're doing before you do damage.

(who is not working out lately due to knee and now back pain... definitely should not have pushed that incredibly heavy cart through Costco today.... that was a really bad decision... hand me some ibuprofen please...!)

Sore Knees

I've been enjoying the kickboxing bootcamp which includes a whole lot of squats and lunges. My knees hurt quite a bit when I do these. I mean the actual joint, not muscle soreness. I wonder if I am doing damage rather than doing something good for my body? They are alright on the plies. The pain is not so bad I have to stop what I am doing, but it worries me. I definitely want to protect and improve my knees. Does anyone have any thoughts on what types of pain mean progress and what types of pain indicate a problem? If the knee pain is a bad thing, how should I modify my exercises?Thanks!Tamara

Tamara,

This is a bad pain. You should feel that an exercise is hard, but you should never feel pain. You need to double check that you aren't allowing your knees to go past your toes. I actually recommend to my clients to make sure the knee stays over the ankle. For squats, this means sticking the butt out. For lunges, this means making sure you take a large enough step forward. With plie squats, a wide stance. If you are using proper form (knees over ankles) and you are still experiencing pain, see a doctor because there is something wrong.

Tonya L. -www.smellabella.comwww.trainingwithtonya.com

Sore Knees

I've been enjoying the kickboxing bootcamp which includes a whole lot of squats and lunges. My knees hurt quite a bit when I do these. I mean the actual joint, not muscle soreness. I wonder if I am doing damage rather than doing something good for my body? They are alright on the plies. The pain is not so bad I have to stop what I am doing, but it worries me. I definitely want to protect and improve my knees. Does anyone have any thoughts on what types of pain mean progress and what types of pain indicate a problem? If the knee pain is a bad thing, how should I modify my exercises?Thanks!Tamara

Thanks for this information, and Tonya. That is what I was

thinking, that muscle pain is probably ok, but joint pain is bad. I

didn't exercise today, but I will carefully analyze my knee positions

the next I am doing squats and lunges.

Thanks! I am glad I asked because I was also thinking that maybe I was just being a wimp.

Tamara

You weren't being a wimp at all, you were being smart! :-) Let us know how things go next time you try those exercises, I hope it will be better.

Re: Sore Knees

Thanks for this information, and Tonya. That is what I was thinking, that muscle pain is probably ok, but joint pain is bad. I didn't exercise today, but I will carefully analyze my knee positions the next I am doing squats and lunges.Thanks! I am glad I asked because I was also thinking that maybe I was just being a wimp.Tamara