RemedySpot.com

Re: / Proprioception

Rate this topic

Guest guest

You're making sense, I wasn't thinking about the body in space aspect, I was thinking about the sensation of the muscles and other tissue. My son had huge body awareness problems but also very frequently banged himself (hard) into walls and furniture to stimulate that feeling in his muscles which he didn't get through normal world interactions. It was at least in part to gain a better awareness of his body too... I knew that at one time but forgot because the banging was so much more obvious. When you describe it in the gym sense it makes perfectly good sense. I'm glad you did that. I usually think of vestibular as more related to balance because of the inner ears (and because we did lots of swinging and spinning exercises on swings with to help him regulate his vestibular system too). They are interconnected I know but my knowledge base only goes so far and I'm not going to even attempt to say more! :-) Thanks tons for the information , it makes tons of sense and helps me put all of this stuff together in a new way too. has been out of therapy for several years now (the sensory issues no longer interfere with his daily life) and I've been out of that world where I was thinking of and working with those things all the time so your explanation helped refresh my brain and caused a nice little "click" of things going together in a new way!

(I love it when things "click!")

/ Proprioception

Hi ! I was trying to appear ejumakated by using a big word. Actually, proprioception is something master trainers bring up at our workshops now and again. Wiki says, "It is the sense that indicates whether the body is moving with required effort, as well as where the various parts of the body are located in relation to each other".For gym and fitness purposes, proprioception equipment is that which challenges balance and as a result, how you know where you are in space and time relative to your starting point and how to get stable again. Hope I'm making sense? I'm sure Tonya can explain it better than me! Such equipment are dyna disks, stability balls, the bosu, etc. Some people have a better sense of body awareness than others. It's what makes one person naturally stealthy like a ninja as opposed to someone who's klutzy. I've never had a super sense of balance and I tip over cups of coffee and such all the time. I am in complete admiration of my cat when he jumps from the nightstand to the narrowish windowsill and effortlessly makes a perfect landing and calmly sits his tush down. Of course there are peeps with true proprioception challenges - I was referring to the context of the gym. Cheers,

*L* Well I'm obviously limited because I think in gym terms and not the broader medical spectrum!That must have been hard to see bang himself to feel stimulation. How glorious though that he no longer does that!

*L* Well I'm obviously limited because I think in gym terms and not the broader medical spectrum!That must have been hard to see bang himself to feel stimulation. How glorious though that he no longer does that!

Together, and I'm sure with the rest of the group on lots of other things, we make a great team!!! :-)

The first 5 or 6 years of his life were incredibly difficult and insane quite often but it became like an insane sort of normal until we found out what the problems were caused by and started OT (and later vision therapy for visual processing problems) when he was 5. The banging was one hugely difficult aspect among others (like screaming and crying hysterically because there was too much visual, auditory, olfactory, tactile or any other sort of stimulation in an enviroment... like the grocery store, preschool, a birthday party, you name it and you never quite knew what would set him off or why) were challenges too. He's 150% different today. People that knew him then always remark at how huge the changes are. My DH and I still see some sensory behaviors (like bouncing into the couch or jumping high into the air and falling on his back on the floor, usually because he's overstimulated and it helps to regulate his nervous system still) but wow, life is so much different now and I am so thankful for it every day!!!! Proprioceptive, vestibular or just plain whatever, life is very good! :-)

Thanks !

Re: / Proprioception