RemedySpot.com

State Accident Victims Funds

Rate this topic

Guest guest

Guest guest

Hello all

I have a low income patient who was involved in a hit and run accident while on his bicycle. He will only be able to afford a small portion of the care that he needs despite some considerations on our part. The only witness apparently just checked in with him and left and he did not get the person's name. Apparently there was damage to his bicycle. We told him about the crime victim's fund. He said that he filled it out and sent it in without copying it. They told him on the telephone I believe that he probably wont be eligible because he did not have enough physical evidence of the hit and run accident. I was wondering what the threshold of his proof needs to be? I told him to get his bicycle photographed and at least an estimate of damage and possible cause. We have documented his injuries. Any

other advice?

Many years ago we received some payments from that fund when a payment was punched out by a tow truck driver. (long story but at that time she had called AAA and the person they sent was punched her out when she tried to stop him from trying to start the vehicle instead of just towing it) Anyways she lost in liability against AAA and the garage and would have won against him but I think he went to prison and had not funds. Anyways we did get some of our bill paid from the fund at that time)>

Sincerely

Elliott Mantell

To: Dr. Elliott Mantell Cc: ; bradrethwilldc ; "oregondcs " <oregondcs > Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 10:40 PMSubject: Re: Re: PIP question

Elliot, if damage to vehicle is $1,500 or more the accident should be reported to 'DMV. I just gained first hand experience with this recently. This is what one of Portland's finest told me just a week ago. Schneider DCPDX

On Wed, Jul 11, 2012 at 10:15 PM, Dr. Elliott Mantell wrote:

Hello all

Arent they by law required to report the claim to DMV if the is bodily injury or $x vehicle damage (is it $200 or $400?)

Elliott Mantell

To: bradrethwilldc ; oregondcs Sent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 2:53 PMSubject: RE: Re: PIP question

Joe:

If the collision was not the insured's fault, their rates cannot go up. If an insurer gives a small "claims free discount," they can lawfully take that away regardless of fault, but that's usually no more than 10%.

The at-fault carrier is not going to direct pay your bills, and won't pay a dime toward the injury claim until the claim is fully and finally resolved. I'd encourage the patient to file a PIP claim.

G.

Gatti, Gatti, Maier, Sayer, Thayer, & Associates

1781 Liberty St. SE

Salem, OR 97302

1-

msmith@...

From: oregondcs [mailto:oregondcs ] On Behalf Of bradrethwilldcSent: Wednesday, July 11, 2012 2:00 PMTo: oregondcs Subject: Re: PIP question

It depends on the policy and company involved. Some companies have a one time accident forgiveness.Brad Rethwill DCEugene>> Hello,> > If a driver is innocently struck from behind in rear end collision is not in the least at fault, will their insurance rates go up if they pursue treatment for injuries sustained in the accident? Have a patient who is attempting to go through the third party in order to avoid reporting it to their insurance company to avoid a rate hike. > > Thanks,> > ph Medlin D.C.>

-- Schneider DC PDX